thirteen

Remember Us

Sehunah, are you well? Sehun heard Tao asked through the phone a couple days after the other’s return to the house. He knew Tao missed his best friend. Sehun hasn’t contacted him since the he left the hospital with Yunho.

Yes, Schatzi, Sehun replied with a smile, How have you been? Did you receive the flowers I sent you?

Sehun could almost see Tao pouting. His tone proved it, I did Kai gave it to me last night,

Ah, its supposed to arrive this morning, in time for your breakfast, Sehun sighed, Did Kai read you the card?

Tao took his time to reply, Kyungsoo hyung did Why havent you visited me, Hunah?

Sehun sighed again internally. Yunho had forbid him to come anywhere near the Parks, Wus, or anyone remotely related to them. Even right now, Yunho was sitting in front of him, listening to his entire conversation with Tao with straight face.

Sehun scowled. He’s obviously too old to get his phone calls supervised like this.

I dont know where your house is, Schatzi, Sehun lied. He could get the information easily with a wave of his hand. Even Yunho rolled his eyes. Lame excuse, Besides, arent you busy with your therapies and all?

Tao whined again, You could have asked! I live in Seoul!

Sehun laughed loudly at that. He could tell how Tao looked like right now and he would give his first born to be able to hug the life out of him this second, Seoul is big, Schatzi. I will visit you, though. Someday,

Promise?

Of course. How long would you think I could last without seeing your whiny face?

Hunaaaah~ Tao’s voice was so cute. It had always been, and Sehun loved listening to it. Sometimes he found himself wishing Tao majored in vocals instead of piano so he would sing in his albums and Sehun could replay it over and over again whenever they’re apart.

There it is, Sehun laughed again, eyeing Yunho who was now giving him a certain look, Hey, I have to go now. You take care, okay? Drink all the medicine and listen to Lay hyung on your therapies,

Where are you going? his best friend’s voice sounded alarmed, not wanting to disconnect the call.

Yunho hyung is taking me somewhere, Sehun replied. Another lie. He had been back here with Yunho for days and the elder had done nothing but ignore him, “I will call you as soon as I could. Okay? he added a promise, earning a scrunch of nose from Yunho. But he doesn’t care. He could tell that Tao needed him and he wanted to be there for him. He would have driven there himself if Yunho would just let him go.

Fine, Tao reply came after a brief silence, sounding very upset. He was then silent again and Sehun thought the line was dead.

“Tao?” he tried. Please dont hang up on me just yet.

“Just… Don’t forget me, Hunah,”

Sehun grinned happily at the knowledge of Tao wanting him to keep him in his mind, “Never, Schatzi,

After more goodbyes (and more “come visit me!” ‘s from Tao), the phone call was finally disconnected.

Sehun lowered the phone slowly, still staring at the screen that still displayed Tao’s face. When it went dark, he glanced at his mentor.

“Good,” Yunho finally broke the silence between them, “Don’t tell him anything, just keep your distance for now,”

But why cant you tell me why I should be away from him! Sehun raised his voice, slamming his palm on the table, My best friend needed me, and so you better tell me what this is all about or I swear to God the next time I ran you will never going to find me,

“Good Lord, Sehun, you’re in Korea, speak Korean,” Yunho sighed, not even flinching from Sehun’s threat, “I am sure someone else is better in explaining all this than I would ever will,” the elder said nonchalantly, walking to the corner of the room.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Sehun replied angrily, “Hey! Don’t you walk away from me, hyung! Yunho hyung!!”

Immediately, the door next to them slid open.

“Good Morning, Son,” a familiar deep voice was heard and Sehun turned his head to the source of it.

Oh merciful God. What have you bestowed upon me.

The sight sure surprised him. Sehun’s throat felt so dry. Never in his life he felt so nervous. Thousands of questions came into his mind, but his mouth seemed not to be able to muster anything.

The newcomer smiled softly, and Sehun finally choked one word, the root of all his questions.

 “Father?!”

 

~

 

Stupid Sehun.

Tao frowned, sighing dejectedly. Something is fishy, he could tell. Sehun would usually came as fast as he could upon his request. But this time, it felt like he was lying to get out of having to visit him.

What the heck.

Tao was still holding on his phone, not realizing that Baekhyun had came knocking on his door, “Tao, wanna join us for breakfast?” he asked.

“Ah, yes,” Tao scrunched his nose, setting his phone aside and rose from his seat, taking his crutches and walked towards the door.

“Why do you look like that?” the elder asked curiously. Who wouldn’t be curious when greeted by an annoyed face, “Whom did you just talk to?”

“Sehun,” Tao sighed, “I don’t get why he hasn’t visit me,”

Because your overprotective fiancé had asked Chen to screen your conversation with him and his attempts to contact you. Kai chased out the poor flower delivery boy yesterday when Kyungsoo was making you busy with your home physiotherapy. But you know, nothing out of the ordinary.

“Maybe he’s preoccupied with something?” Baekhyun decided to say, “You said that Yunho had been looking for him,”

“True,” Tao shrugged, struggling with his crutches. But he couldn’t find balance and slipped, and almost falling flat to the ground if Baekhyun didn’t catch him in time.

“Tao! Thank goodness…” Baekhyun sighed in relief, holding Tao with both his hands as the younger tried to stand on his own, but even he could tell that his legs are all wobbly, “Do you want to sit on your wheelchair? I’ll take you to the dining room,”

Tao pouted, not liking how he still could not walk properly by himself. He didn’t reply to the other’s suggestion, but he let himself being led back to his wheelchair.

Baekhyun sighed. Tao had always been independent, even when he was abroad. True that people around him don’t usually let him go places alone but he would do things on his own. And so he knew, the situation he’s currently stuck in annoyed him to death.

He heard a stifled whimper as he squeezed Tao’s waist when he was making sure that the younger was properly seated.

“Tao? What is it?” Baekhyun asked worriedly.

Tao bit his lower lip; “I hit something yesterday, when I was trying to get out to the porch,” he said, looking guilty, as if Baekhyun had caught him red handed stealing a loaf of bread.

Baekhyun lift a part of Tao’s shirt and gasped. An angry, ugly bluish bruise was already formed. He frowned worriedly.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone?”

“I thought it was nothing,” Tao answered as he settled himself on the wheelchair. Baekhyun sighed again behind him as the elder push the wheelchair to the dining room.

“Hey,” Kris greeted as the duo entered the room, “How are you this morning?”

“Bruised,” Baekhyun answered before Tao could say anything. He had a deep frown on his forehead, “You sure miss the ugly mark on his hip bone,”

“What?” Kris said looking confused, staring at Tao.

Tao groaned, “But I’m okay,” he insisted.

Kris walked closer and kneeled in front of him, “May I?” he asked, holding the edge of Tao’s shirt.

Tao looked annoyed, but gave a small nervous nod anyway. Kris lifted a part of his shirt and was surprised to see the bruise Baekhyun was talking about.

“What happened?” the elder asked as he observed the mark on Tao’s skin. It looked painful.

“I think I hit a table or something when I was going to the porch yesterday, but I am fine,”

Kris sighed, gently ran his finger on the bruise, making the younger flinch away. Obviously, he wasn’t fine.

“Tao, I need you to tell me everything, okay?” Kris requested gently, looking into Tao’s eyes, “Even something like this. If you need help going places in the house, call someone. Call me. The house still not that familiar to you, isn’t it?”

Tao pouted, seeming dissatisfied even though what the elder said was true. Kris didn’t miss the expression, but he ignored it for the time being, “Kyungsoo, do we have any cream for bruise?”

“Yes,” Kyungsoo replied readily, disappeared back into the kitchen after setting the fruit bowl on the table, and returned with a tube, “I’ll apply this,”

“Thank you,” Kris said, standing back up as Kyungsoo started to gently rub the said cream on Tao’s skin, stopping every time he heard the younger hissed if he pressed to hard, “Kai, would you go to the store and baby proof every sharp corners in the house?”

“I’m fine, ge, trust me,” Tao said while Kai nodded silently in confirmation, making his way out to the car and do the task he had just assigned to do.

“I know baby, and I do trust you,” Kris said as he leaned in to press a kiss on Tao’s cheek in attempt to comfort the younger while Kyungsoo was still massaging the cream in, “But I don’t trust those sharp corners,” he mumbled against Tao’s temple.

Tao jutted his bottom lip out, “Can someone show me to my seat?” he asked, changing the subject.

Chanyeol, who had been watching the whole scene stood and caught his brother’s hand, circled his arm around him as he led him to his seat next to Kris.

“There you go,” he said as Tao’s touched the chair.

“What would you like to have?” Kyungsoo asked next to him as everyone had took their seats.

“What did you make today?” Tao asked, looking around the table. They were blurry, but Tao could tell that Kyungsoo had made various dishes and the colorful pile in the middle was a bowl of freshly cut fruits.

“I made baozi, fresh croissant with cold cuts and cheese platter, fresh fruits, and there’s also congee in the kitchen. Which one would you like?”

“Congee? Baozi?” Tao asked curiously.

Kris chuckled next to him, “Its Chinese porridge and buns. Do you want to try?”

“Are these the kind of food you said you liked?”

“Yes,” Kris smiled through his coffee cup.

“Okay,” Tao smiled, “I’d like to try them please,”

“Coming right up,” Kyungsoo replied cheerfully, and soon he returned with a small bowl of chicken congee with eggs and a baozi on the side.

“Blow on the porridge, okay? It’s really hot,” Kyungsoo said as he turned to Chanyeol and ask what he’d like to have.

Tao reached his hand slowly, touching the spoon and the bowl. He dipped it, getting some porridge and brought the spoon towards his lips. Accidentally, because he wasn’t able to estimate where his lips are exactly, he bumped the spoon right on them.

“Ow!” he exclaimed, almost dropping the spoon.

Chanyeol immediately caught the spoon. Thankfully, not much of the porridge was scooped by Tao, and from that small amount, most had already fallen on the floor.

“Be careful, Zi,” Chanyeol said, resting the spoon on the table, “Are you okay?”

Kris on the other hand, was already inspecting Tao’s lips, “Here,” he said as he handed Tao a glass containing cold juice, “It’s orange juice. Rest your lips on the tip to soothe the burn,”

Tao’s eyes was tearing up, feeling disappointed at himself for failing to do such simple task like eating. He couldn’t stand properly, he couldn’t walk with or without crutches; is there anything he could still do?

“Oh, no, don’t cry… It’ll be better,” Kris said, as he helped Tao with the juice. Next to the younger, Chanyeol was stirring his porridge while blowing it, to make it warmer for his brother to eat easily.

“No,” Tao replied, “It’s not about the burn,”

“What is it, xiao ai?”

Tao sighed, shaking his head.

“Baby,” Kris reached and held Tao’s hand, “It’s okay… You just need to take your time with a lot of things, and never hesitate to ask for help… Don’t worry,”

Tao sighed again and leaned into Kris’ chest. The elder immediately engulfed him in an embrace.

“I feel awful,” the younger mumbled as he relaxed in the familiar arms. It felt so right, so comfortable. Like his worries just met away.

“Don’t be,” Chanyeol reached and set the now warm bowl of porridge back in front of him, “We all understand, and we want to help you. So you need to let us, okay, Zi?”

Tao pouted when Kris pressed a kiss on the top of his head, “But I would be needing help for an awful lot of time… Even I already think it’s annoying…”

“Hey, I told you I will be with you every step of the way,” Kris mumbled against Tao’s hair, “So don’t worry, love,”

Kris always meant his promises, and he would take extra measures to keep them, especially for Tao.

Tao nuzzled on Kris’ chest for a while before slowly sitting back up, “Alright,” he said, even though the pout was still etched on his lips.

The four of them continued to eat, with both Kris and Chanyeol occasionally helped Tao with spreading butter on his croissant or cutting his baozi in half to make it easier for the younger to eat.

They were engrossed in different conversations and almost forgot the time. Baekhyun soon excused himself to go to work.

Chanyeol stood with him as he left the dining table, walking towards the front door.

“Chanyeol,”

“Yes?” Chanyeol replied from behind the shorter.

Baekhyun turned as he put his coat on, “Tao almost fell this morning trying to walk with his crutches,” he informed the elf, “Please talk to him about asking our assistance next time. I don’t want him to bump into anything. This time it could be his hip, but what if next time he slipped and hit his head and we’re nowhere near him to help?”

Chanyeol gasped, “That happened?”

“Yeah, lucky I was there. I know he was trying not to be a burden to any of us, but he never was. You are the one who knows him better than me and you can talk to him better. Just try and talk some sense into him. I’m worried,” Baekhyun said, frowning as he straightened his coat.

“Alright,” Chanyeol frowned too.

“Oh no, honey, don’t frown,” Baekhyun tiptoed and kissed Chanyeol’s frown away, “Just talk to him, things would be better, I will be calmer and you will be too…”

Chanyeol laughed, leaning in, “Thanks, Baek… I love you,” he mumbled against Baekhyun’s lips.

“Love you too,” Baekhyun smiled as he pulled back, patting Chanyeol’s chest, “Don’t forget to talk to him, okay?”

Chanyeol nodded as he walked with Baekhyun to his car, closing the door for him.

“Drive safely,”

“I will,”

After sending Baekhyun off and watch as his car disappear on the other side of the gate, Chanyeol turned and walked back towards the dining table, where Tao was still finishing his breakfast. His movements are still quite limited, even though their constant massage on his hands had helped with his hand muscles. He could see how sometimes Tao’s fingers would tremble, but he also saw the determination in his brother’s eyes.

Chanyeol quietly sat next to his brother, watching him holding his tea cup tightly with both hands, afraid it will slip off his hands any second.

“How are you doing, Zi?” Chanyeol asked, smiling softly as he watched the way Tao eats. His plate was still partially full. Tao had always been a picky eater, and rebellious. He’d mix peanut butter and sprinkles to everything he was allowed to back when they were young. He also remembered stopping Zitao to smear peanut butter on his chicken nugget one time. Like, anything but nuggets. Nuggets would only taste good with ketchup. Period.

“Okay, I guess… I think.” Tao mumbled, setting his cup back on the table. Kris was quick to push it further from the edge, so it won’t fall and spill on Tao.

The younger then reached for his croissant again, and sighed after he took another bite.

“What is it?” Chanyeol asked again.

“It just tastes so boring,” Tao replied, his bottom lip jutted out, “We need more flavor in this world,”

Chanyeol grinned, left the table for a second before returning with peanut butter crunch, “You want this?”

“What’s… Peanut butter! Yes please,” Tao smiled happily.

Some things would never change, and Chanyeol loves it.

“Ham and peanut butter?” Kris chuckled.

“It’s delicious!” Tao exclaimed, taking a bite of is creation, “I swear this should be gourmet dish,”

“I’ll take a note of that,” Kyungsoo smiled as he took their empty plates away.

“Thanks, Soo hyung,” Tao smiled as he popped the last piece of croissant into his mouth, “Now I’m full. So full,”

“I can see that,” Kris teased, poking Tao’s stomach.

“Hey!”

Chanyeol laughed, “So, what should we do today?” he asked, ruffling Tao’s hair.

Chanyeol knew Baekhyun had asked him specifically to talk to Tao about asking for help to move around the house. Nevertheless, it was also true that Chanyeol knew Tao better than anyone; reminding or making him do so would only make Tao felt more helpless, worse than he already is. He needed to do it gently and subtly, slipping the idea to Tao’s unconscious; slowly letting him acknowledge that the people around him would help and do anything for him. Not because he’s bossy or incapable of doing things on his own, but because they love him, so much.

“Chan hyung,” Tao bit the bottom of his lip, slowly turning to his brother.

“Yes?”

“Do you remember when we have breakfast with Mom and Dad when we were little?”

Chanyeol smiled, before chuckling lowly, “Ah, when I keep stealing strawberries from Mom’s fruit bowl for you?”

“And when I put a dollop of peanut butter in your milk,”

“A dollop?!” Chanyeol gasped, “Try a hole jar,”

Tao laughed loudly, “But you drank it!!”

“And thank goodness I am not allergic to anything you put in any of our meals,”

“And then I will help Dad tie his shoes,”

“And Mom will help you with yours,” Chanyeol smiled, ruffling his brother’s hair again. Yep, he still loved doing that.

“And…” Tao pursed his lips; his words disappeared as his expression changed. Chanyeol tilted his head closer. He knew Tao had something he has been thinking about.

Then he said it softly, in one breath, “Can we visit Mom and Dad?”

 

~

 

Tao had been wanting to visit his parents. It still shocked him to know that they had passed away for years now. In the back of his mind, whenever he thought of his parents, he sometimes believed that their parents were only away for vacation or business trip. Like when he was living in Europe; their parents would always commute between Seoul and Vienna. They’re never always with him. They’re always on the go.

It’s just this time they would never show up in his living room again. There would be no more surprise knocks on the door, sudden phone calls asking him to come to their favorite restaurant; Tao would never see their proud faces between the audiences in any of his concerts ever again.

And it hurts like a million bricks thrown at him. And the bricks were on fire.

 

The wheelchair would not be able to take him to the shore because of the sand, and nor the crutches. So, he decided to walk there. Kris and Chanyeol were each on his sides, holding him close, supporting and walking with him. As they walked closer to the waters, they stopped and Chanyeol turned to him.

“Dad had always said, one day when he passed away, he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes thrown into the sea. So wherever you are, wherever we are, we just need to go to the sea and he will be there,” Chanyeol mumbled close to him, “I think Mom would have wanted the same thing,”

Tao nodded. Their parents have always been so thoughtful. Which makes Tao miss them even more. More than ever.

Tao could only see the whites of the wave bubbles and feel them between his toes. He smiled and sighed, releasing his hold on both Kris and Chanyeol. He took another step on his own, and even though he was somewhat felt happy that he finally visited his parents again, there was this longing, emptiness, for now he would never be able to hug them ever again.

Kris stood silently behind the younger. The wind was blowing so strong and it was cold, but Tao didn’t even shiver. Tao stood in silence, smiling, eyes closed. He looked so beautiful. Kris made sure he took this sight in, tattoo it inside his head, because Tao and the sea was a wonder of its own.

Around them. The beach was deserted, most likely because of the weather. It was like this too, when they brought Tao and Chanyeol’s parents remains. A little warmer, but cold at heart nonetheless. Seeing Tao cried so much back then made Kris very much sad. He was actually prepared if Tao would cry as much. But the younger didn’t. He just stood there with his eyes closed, lost in his own thought, or maybe prayers.

He glanced at Chanyeol, who was squatting, watching the waves crashing, reaching their feet, as if greeting them. He would like to think that indeed, his best friend and fiancé’s parents were greeting them. Tao and Chanyeol had to stand on their own since their passing. It was cruel what had happened. But Kris was glad that both people he loved so dearly were able to hold each other up and move on with their lives. Back when their parents had just passed away, Kris remembered that sometimes he would catch Chanyeol staring blankly in distance. It needed a few beers and persuasion on Kris’ side for Chanyeol to finally admit that he was scared of the future. In a blink of an eye, young Chanyeol was responsible for a lot of things. It was such a big burden to carry alone, but he wanted nothing but to make his brother happy. He wanted to make sure that Tao would not have to worry about a thing. Kris knew that the Parks would be so proud of Chanyeol. He was a great brother to Tao. And even the latter didn’t remember why or what actually happened, Kris knew that Tao loved his brother dearly just as much.

Suddenly, a sound interrupted Kris’ train of thought. Tao sighed deeply and opened his eyes, drops of tears fell on his cheeks, but he smiled nonetheless.

“I’ll see you when I see you,” he whispered to the ocean.

Slowly, he turned to his brother, “Chan hyung,” he called, and Chanyeol stood up, stepping in front of him.

“Yes?”

Tao’s hands were delicate and fragile, trembling as he reached towards his older brother. Chanyeol instinctively came closer, holding his younger sibling by his elbows.

“They didn’t die in pain, right?” Tao asked, his voice was a mere whisper between the sounds of the crashing waves.

“No,” Chanyeol answered, watching Tao’s expression intently, struggling to keep his own voice steady.

Tao nodded carefully, “And we have loved them. We have been good sons to them, right?”

“Yes,” Chanyeol answered again, pulling Tao into a much needed embrace, “And they’re so proud of us. They told us everyday,”

“Okay,” Tao choked against Chanyeol’s shoulder, his voice completely disappeared by then, “Okay,”

And Kris hugged them both. Tightly.

 

~

 

By the time they reached back home, there was already another car in the front yard.

“Who’s car is that?” Kai asked, voice full of alertness, parking the car on the other side of the yard.

For once during the whole car ride, Kris looked up from Tao, who was resting on his shoulder, eyeing the said car, “Ah. Luhan’s,” he mumbled before turning his attention back to his fiancé. Tao had been silent since their visit to the beach. He was just sitting and breathing, and it worried Kris.

“I wonder what he’s doing here,” Chanyeol said as he unbuckled his seatbelt and walked towards the passenger door behind him to make way for Tao.

Kai took Tao’s wheelchair from the back of the car, and placed it next to Chanyeol who was helping his brother to get out of the car, careful not to pressure his bruised hip. They then walked to the front door, and indeed, Luhan was inside, chatting with Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo.

“Hey, you’re back!” Luhan greeted, “Where have you been?”

Tao blinked a couple times, registering the crowd standing in his kitchen, “We went to the beach,” he said softly, breaking his silence.

The angelic looking man eyed the younger boy sitting lifelessly on the wheelchair and decided to come closer.

“Hey, its Joonmyeon hyung,” Joonmyeon said, kneeling in front of Tao as he realized that his favorite pianist had just visited his late parents. Like Chanyeol and Kris, he also thought that smiles and rainbows looked better on Tao’s face, “Are you okay?”

Tao smiled softly, nodding, “Yes,”

And he didn’t lie.

“It’s past lunch time, have you eaten yet?” he asked again, and Tao shook his head, “Great. I bought you galbitang,” he smiled widely.

“I’ll warm it up for you,” Kyungsoo smiled, circling the counter and soon busy with the soup.

“So, what’s the occasion? Why are you guys here? Lunch time is way over,” Kris asked, “Don’t be counterproductive, you should use your working hours for work only,”

“Then maybe we’re here for work,” Luhan grinned, “Can we talk to you and Chanyeol?”

“What is it with your phones and why can’t you talk about this through phone calls?” Kris asked again, his face on and ready. He wanted nothing but to cheer Tao up and his colleagues are in his way.

Chanyeol shook his head at Kris’ expression, “What’s up?”

“Lets talk in the living room,” Luhan suggested.

Joonmyeon stood and reached for his briefcase, while Luhan and Chanyeol headed to the living room.

“Eat up, okay! Be with you right after this,” Kris said, pressing a kiss on top of Tao’s head before joining the others in the living room.

Tao nodded, letting Kai push his wheelchair towards the dining room, where Kyungsoo was already setting up a bowl full of rice and another bigger bowl for the soup.

“Soo hyung, have you and Kai eaten yet?” Tao asked softly. Kyungsoo smiled and shook his head briefly, before remembering that Tao might not catch the gesture.

“No, we haven’t,”

Tao smiled widely, eyes searching the food on the table, “Come sit with me, I’m sure there’s plenty of food for us,”

And so Kai and Kyungsoo took their seats on Tao’s sides. Kyungsoo helped Tao with his food from time to time, while Kai was already on his second bowl.

“Whoa, slow down, tiger,” Kyungsoo mumbled, and Tao turned to Kai’s direction, who was reaching for kimchi.

“I am!” he exclaimed, finishing his rice and pushed the empty bowl towards Kyungsoo, “Can I have another bowl of rice please?”

Kyungsoo sighed, “Thank goodness this rice cooker is bigger than the one I have back home,” he said, rolling his eyes as he rose from his chair, leaving a giggling Tao next to the still-hungry Kai.

“You don’t eat regularly?” Tao wondered, taking a spoonful of rice into his mouth.

Kai shrugged, “I do, but I am still growing! I need a lot of food, and well, I guess I have big appetite too, but you know, there’s so many rice in the world and I bet those farmers are happy I’m eating a lot,”

“I should be like you!” Tao said, sipping some of his soup, “I need to eat a lot too,”

“From what I see, first, you need to stop being so picky with your food! Everything is good, it’s all made with love, so just eat up!” Kai said, immediately taking another spoonful of rice when Kyungsoo handed him a fresh bowl of rice, “Thanks hyung,”

“But it’s not the flavor I don’t like. I like enjoying all kinds of different flavors, and so when I returned back to my rice I am already full,” Tao said, taking a spoonful of rice too as if copying Kai. One side of his cheek is now full, just like his bodyguard’s.

“Then just eat with me all the time, I’ll show you how to eat properly. Look here, this, this is meat. Meat is love. Open your mouth widely, and yum! Chew chew~ Oooh, so much love!” Kai exclaimed as he popped a piece of meat into his mouth.

“Idiot,” Kyungsoo mumbled, rolling his eyes, but helping Tao with his galbi nonetheless.

“Like this?” Tao asked as he took the meat Kyungsoo had prepared for him into his mouth.

“Yes, yes but with more passion. Remember, meat is love,” Kai exclaimed again enthusiastically, waving a bone in his hand, making Tao laugh.

“No, it can’t be like that!”

Suddenly they could hear Kris’ deep voice, and they fell completely silent. The tallest sounded agitated, “We should launch it at the beginning of the third quarter, we have agreed since the last meeting! That way, we could anticipate a lot of things!”

Tao bit his bottom lip; curiously trying to listen to whatever conversation the elder men are having in the living room. Kyungsoo eyed Kai, and even the latter had stopped loving his meat and watched the living room curiously.

“Yes, but that was four months ago, if you could remember. Many things had developed and we believe that it could be done earlier than we have discussed before,” Joonmyeon’s voice was heard the next.

There were several more arguments and Tao recognized his brother’s voice, obviously trying not to sound as mad as Kris. Slowly, Tao swallowed the remaining food in his mouth and pushed his wheelchair backwards, trying to come closer to the living room. Kai immediately rose and helped him, pushing the other out of the dining room. When they get closer, the voices became louder and clearer. Tao recognized that Kris and Chanyeol were sitting on the couch while Luhan and Joonmyeon on the loveseats across from them. His brother and fiancé’s backs were facing him. They were looking at the table, possibly on the papers or tabs Joonmyeon had in his briefcase; no one noticed that Kai and Tao had joined them in the room.

“All I’m saying is, I know that you guys are very capable of doing your work, but still, there’s only so much you could do from outside the office because at home your attention is divided. I don’t think Tao’s recovery is unimportant—,” Luhan immediately added when Kris looked at him as if he was out of his mind, “But like you promised, you would come back to the office if Tao is back home, and it would be easier for everyone,”

“I am in no position to leave him at home alone, are you kidding me?!” Kris raised his voice again and Tao flinched. The elder sounded furious, “It’s out of the question!”

Joonmyeon turned to Chanyeol with pleading look and the latter held both his hands up, “Don’t look at me as if you don’t know he was the only family I have left. I’m staying and I don’t care if that means I have to quit my job,”

“You can’t quit your job, you own the damn empire,” Luhan exclaimed, pointing out the obvious in astonishment. Chanyeol couldn’t quit his job! That’s not an option!

“Then don’t ask us to do something we couldn’t!” Kris replied curtly, “Set up an office here, I don’t care, but I am not leaving!”

“Kris, come on,” Luhan tried again, “You’re not making any sense,”

“He’s making every sense and so am I,” Chanyeol said, “What have you guys been doing anyway? You are the ones we trusted with everything that’s happening in the office and now you came to us with this bull?” he pointed at the reports between them.

“There’s only so much we could do Chanyeol. If you forget, I also have my own job to do. I am handling two people’s worth of works and one of them is yours. I ain’t no God. I am honestly overwhelmed with everything. Quite frankly, if you hadn’t realized it, Luhan and I are not you guys,”

Kris and Chanyeol were about to argue back, but a small voice interrupted them.

“Uhm, excuse me,” Tao spoke up, his hand raised as if asking permission to speak.

Kris and Chanyeol turned their heads fast, surprised at the sound of the familiar voice.

“Tao!” Chanyeol exclaimed. Kris was already circling the couch and kneeled in front of Tao.

“Xiao ai what are you doing here? Have you finished your meal?” Kris asked gently, brushing Tao’s cheek. His demeanor was no longer scary and angry, making Kai raised an eyebrow. Whoa.

“Uhm… About that, I sort of… Overheard what you guys were talking about…” Tao said as tried to focus his eyes on Kris’.

“More like you guys have been yelling so loud its impossible for anyone in ten kilometer radius not to hear you,” Kai mumbled, rolling his eyes.

Kyungsoo then appeared out of nowhere and slapped the back of Kai’s head, making Kris chuckle gratefully for his cook/housekeeper/butler.

“Ah yes,” Tao chuckled with him, “And I really don’t mind if… if you go back,”

“Back?”

“To the office?” Tao added, “I mean, I enjoy your companies, but… It seemed like you are needed in the office…”

“Well, we do need them,” Joonmyeon gratefully sighed at the younger’s words.

“Baby, you don’t have to do this,” Kris said, taking his fiancé’s hand in his.

“I know, but I mean… You could go… If you worry about me being alone, I am not going to be alone, Kyungsoo and Kai will be here, and I will be here too when you came home…” Tao said, smiling softly, “I think its okay for you to go to the office and sort everything out, as long as you come back home after,”

Kris bit his lip, “But xiao ai—“

“You do realize that we’re going to work 9 to 5, even later, everyday? Are you sure you will be okay?” Chanyeol asked as he walked closer to his brother, “I know you’re still scared sometimes. You need us,”

“I do,” Tao smiled at his brother, “But that’s why you’ll be coming back here after work, right? I will find something to do while you’re at work. Lay hyung also told me that I would do my therapies so I will be busy. Busy busy, like you would be,” he giggled.

Kris was silent, staring at his fiancé and trying to weigh if he really meant what he said.

“Xiao ai. Are you sure?” Kris asked again, and Tao turned back to him.

“I am. I will be here when you came home. So don’t forget to come home,” Tao said as he smiled cheekily.

There was a fat silence until Luhan broke it, “So… Will you be at the office tomorrow?”

Kris sighed deeply, his eyes not leaving Tao’s, “I guess,”

Chanyeol turned to his colleagues and nodded, “We’ll be there in time for the meeting,”

“What meeting?” Joonmyeon asked, confused. He didn’t remember having any meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is Friday; it was never an optimal day for a meeting. Only mad men would have a meeting on a Friday.

“The one you’re arranging right now. We need every executives and board members to present, including my father,” Kris replied, standing up to look at Luhan in the eye, “I think 10 o’clock would be appropriate. Ask Luna and Fei to help you,”

Joonmyeon almost forgot that both his colleagues are mad men.

“Ah!” Luhan held his chest in relief, “Finally! The mad dragon is back, yo!” he laughed and made his way towards Tao, hugging him and kissing his hair, “Thank you didi, thank you, thank you, my lucky yo yo~”

Tao laughed in Luhan’s arms before he felt that the elder yanked away from him.

“Stop,” Kris said sternly, “My fiancé, mine to hug,”

“Possessive much,” Luhan rolled his eyes, watching as his childhood friend’s face return.

“Try me,” Kris growled.

“Alright, alright, no fights, no messing my floor, I just cleaned it this morning,” Kyungsoo entered again with a tray full of teacups and cookies, “I bet after all that yelling you needed something to soothe those throats?”

“Ah cookies!” Luhan exclaimed and returned to his loveseat, where Kyungsoo was pouring tea for everyone.

While everyone sat back around the coffee table (and Kai returned to the dining table because that’s where his rice and galbitang awaits him), Kris kneeled again in front of Tao, holding both the younger’s hands, “Baby, are you sure about this?”

It was already a long day. Him having to admit and accept that he would have to be helped to do things he would usually do on his own, visiting his parents and truly realizing they had passed away, coming home to listen his fiancé and brother arguing with his hyungs; everything Tao would be doing, Kris wanted nothing to be there and make sure he was fine. Did he really want him to be away instead?

Tao smiled, reaching to rub the elder’s temple softly, “I am… Just don’t forget to come back home, even though there’s so much to do at work,”

Kris chuckled as he enjoyed the feeling of Tao’s fingers in his hair, finally accepting his request, “Alright. I got you, baby. Don’t worry,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys how are you doing? I had many comments liking the last part of the previous chapter hehe aw you guys are so sweet and obviously ers for taoris fluff, much like myself

I will be writing the next chapter now~ dont forget to comment!

OOH AND TAO IS GONNA HAVE A SOLO ALBUM OMG I FEEL LIKE IT WAS RUSHED BUT MAN WE DESERVE IT AND HE DOES TOO I really hope everything will go well for him and wish him nothing but success AND NOW BOTH TAO AND KRIS IS IN CHINA PLEASE MEET AND MAKE BABIES THANK YOU VERY MUCH

thanks for your support and comment, 

endohmiyako

kennocha

KouAkira

FikakhanGD

tAoSoBie

mallowme

emowk84

Leehan11

Aitoki

KISSES AND HUGS! 

 

 

 

x