The Bright Side

Metanoia

Irene loves to wander at night when she can't close her eyes. She tuck her hands in her hoodie pockets as she walks under the moonlight. Her mind is a mess. A mix of thoughts of her family that doesn't care for her, Taeyeon that left her with no explanation, and this cute girl she met yesterday. She reached the most peaceful spot of the town; the lake. She rolls on the soft grass and close her eyes. Feeling the cold breeze blowing her pale skin and dark long locks. Praying that she could find her happiness and find her way out of all these problems and loneliness. She started to hear some footsteps. She opened her eyes immediately and stood up.

"Joy?" She called out the girl who was walking by.

"Huh?" Joy turned her head around to find where the voice came from.

Irene makes her way to Joy.

"You're the girl who returned my phone yesterday, right?" Joy asks with a surprised smile

"Yes! This is me, Irene" 

Irene felt something warm in her heart when she thinks about the fact that she just made this girl smile.

"What are you doing here at this hour?"

"Just to kill boredom and avoid late night overthinking. How bout you, where are you going?" Irene asks.

"Going home" Joy takes a seat on the grass by the lake.

"Oh my god. Does she want to stay for awhile? With me?" Irene thought.

Joy pats the grass beside her, asking Irene to sit down.

Irene sits and tries to make a conversation "Your parents must be looking for you now"

"Both of my parents have passed away. I'm the youngest among my siblings and they all have their own families now. I live alone in my parent's house, beside my sister's house. How about you?  Your parents must be looking for you."

Irene was speechless for a moment. She couldn't imagine that a joyful girl like Joy lives alone. How come she doesn't seem lonely like her?

"How could you survive living alone? My parents are both busy. They don't check on me anymore. They always say that i'm big enough to take care of myself."

"I live beside my unnie's house, she buys grocery for me and she gives me money every month. I don't really have friends but I don't feel lonely at all."

"How? Can you teach me how to get rid of the loneliness?" Irene says with a chuckle.

"It's all about positivity. It's about being alright. Even when you're all alone, just look at the bright side. There's always a bright side. You just have to look for it." Joy gives Irene an assuring smile.

Irene stares at Joy's eyes deeply "Maybe you're that bright side I have always been looking for."

The sun rises and sets above the two girls who are exchanging smiles right now.