Unfamiliar

Metanoia

On a sunny Sunday morning, Irene feels the need to wander and probably grab something to eat as well. More than anything, Irene loves train rides. For others, riding a train is just a long and boring ride. But for Irene, it is an exercise for her mind. She is a quiet observer. Riding a train means having to observe other people and wonder what goes in their respective minds and what they do in their respective lives. The curiosity never ends. But it is healthy for Irene, since it diverts her attention and it avoids habitual overthinking. She was able to take a seat on the train. Embracing her backpack, Irene's eyes starts to wander around and her eyes landed on a cute little boy eating gummy worms. Irene smiles at the cuteness. Her gaze shifts and her eyes met a couple, probably arguing, because the girl is sitting with her arms crossed and her face frowning. She wonders. What are they fighting about? Why do couples fight? Did the guy cheat? Did she saw him with another girl? She sighs at the stressful thought. In the crowded train, her eyes unexpectedly managed to find a familiar face and a familiar smile. It was obviously Joy. But this time, the sight of her didn't make Irene smile. At all. Near the train door, Joy stands with another girl with her face buried in Joy's hair and her arms wrapped around Joy's waist. Joy looks happy. But Irene's current emotion is the total opposite. She is not just upset–there's a hint of anger in her right now. She felt betrayed. Although Irene is aware that Joy doesn't see her as someone she would love (yet), Irene assumed that she will make Joy fall in love with her somehow. All her hopes seem to slip as she glances back at the awful sight of Joy and the unfamiliar girl.

Without even noticing, the train arrives at the destination. As the door opens, Irene watches Joy and the girl leaving the train. She looked down and bit her lip before she leaves. The heavy feeling seems to be heavier than the backpack she's carrying. In the busy train station, Irene is walking rapidly with her headphones on. Unfortunately, the music was not loud enough to cancel noise because Irene suddenly heard her name being called–by a familiar voice. Irene rolled her eyes, removed her headphones and turned around to see the familiar person. It was Joy, obviously; Smiling widely; Waving her hand; All alone. Irene raised her eyebrow before speaking "hey." Joy continued to smile at Irene "hello. where are you heading? are you alone?" The question annoyed the already pissed-off girl. Irene had enough. She rolled her eyes once again and turned her back to Joy before walking away. Joy was dazed by her sudden actions. "what is wrong with you?" Joy's eyes were filled with confusion but a taste of sadness coexists. The thought of making Irene upset saddens her. She chased Irene and grabbed her arm. "Talk to me!" Joy managed to exclaim while panting. Irene was out of words. She wanted to speak but couldn't. She breathes heavily in harmony of her irregularly beating heart. She stared deeply at Joy's eyes. On usual times, she would smile. But this time, a tear fell from her eye.