Chapter 43

Claimed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sungmin woke up to the gentle brushing of his hair, the comforting mint mixed with the sterile smell of a hospital luring him from the slumber. At the small whine escaping at the heaviness of his head, the fingers threaded in his hair stilled.

 

“Sungmin?” A low, soothing voice called his name softly.

 

He pushed open his eyelids, willing his vision to focus on the figure by his side. When it did, he couldn’t hold back the smile tugging instinctively at the corners of his lips.

 

“You’re… You’re awake,” his alpha released a breath of relief.

 

Sungmin traced every contour of his alpha’s face, relief filling him as well that every area of that beautifully carved face was the same except for the dark eye circles indicating his alpha’s fatigue. He wanted to reach out to touch his alpha’s face, but he didn’t, instead staring and soaking up every little detail all over again. “It wasn’t a dream,” he whispered. “You really came for me.”

 

“Of course it wasn’t a dream,” his alpha caressed his cheek. “Silly. How are you feeling?”

 

At the affectionate-sounding reprimand, the memories rushed in like a tidal wave, sweeping the emotions along and overwhelming him. He remembered the times his alpha had called him silly while holding him, that fond tone unmistakable.

 

This was his alpha; this was Kyuhyun. He was back to Kyuhyun.

 

Tears spilled over suddenly, trickling down his cheeks. His alpha’s smiling face turned into one of panic and the hands ran over his face and down his arms.

 

“What’s wrong?” His alpha dried his tears again. “Are you hurting anywhere? Tell me—is it your head? Should I call the doctor?” His alpha jumped out of the chair. “I’ll go call the doctor—”

 

Disregarding whatever voices in him, Sungmin sat up, yanking his alpha by the wrist. When his alpha fell back on his bed, he flung his arms around the firm body, pressing his head to his alpha’s back as the sobs he had suppressed for the past two weeks escaped without restraint.

 

His alpha held still, silent until he called out, “M-Mas—ter—”

 

With little difficulty, his alpha spun to him, strong arms wrapping him in the warm embrace he missed so dearly. “Shhhh,” his alpha hushed like always, kissing his temple and breathing deeply into his hair.

 

As the familiar heartbeat pulsated in his ear, whatever pain and humiliation he went through didn’t seem to matter anymore.

 

He was finally home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~--~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sungmin caressed his bare neck, where the collar from Siwon once was. It was only after the doctor had checked him and when chatting with his alpha’s bodyguards did he realise that the collar was missing. When he had asked, his alpha replied simply that it had been returned to Siwon. And when he had asked why, his alpha said it was the right thing to do. Despite how indifferent his alpha’s tone and expression was, Sungmin knew that the alpha nature had been unhappy and jealous about it – the eagerness in getting rid of the collar and the bodyguards’ teasing proved it. And if wasn’t enough evidence, his alpha’s expression turned cold upon him asking about Siwon’s condition.

 

To his relief, Siwon would recover fully though the injuries substained were quite serious. His little amount of insistent healing helped, but what truly saved Siwon’s life was the healing from the other black omega, whom, according to Doojoon, was a member of Kyuhyun’s father’s Special Operations team. Aside from security, the team was trained to kill. But they mostly worked as bodyguards, Junhyung asserted.

 

Considering how reluctant his alpha was to talk about the team, Sungmin wasn’t surprised that Kyuhyun had actually disbanded the team after his father’s death. Cho Taehyun was accepting and kind towards black omegas because of his mate, and he recognized the omegas’ value as medics in the team. What made Sungmin see Kyuhyun’s father even more differently was that the omegas’ roles didn’t stop as medics; they were trained the same as the alphas and betas so that they could protect themselves and others at the same time. Sungmin respected Taehyun for giving black omegas such an opportunity, but he didn’t dare to voice it or let himself be impressed further – it felt like a betrayal to his alpha who disbanded the team because of the black omegas. He understood his alpha’s pain and reasons behind the hatred, thus, what truly surprised him was Kyuhyun approving to bring back the team in order to protect and retrieve him in the plan.

 

From the bodyguards, Sungmin learnt that what happened at the island was all part of an elaborate plan. His alpha had struck a deal to help Siwon remove the insurgents in the Choi household in return for him. He thought he understood immediately why Siwon had agreed to the plan – responsibility towards the family and reputation came first –, but he backtracked on his thoughts when he realised that the alpha could have uprooted the insurgents without his alpha’s help. Or did his alpha made it in such a way that Siwon needed their help for sure? Sungmin didn’t know, but he didn’t ask, because a sudden thought distracted him then – his alpha would probably make the same choice; the Cho Corporation over him.

 

His alpha’s smile saved him from dwelling on that insecurity, and he forced his focus back on to the bodyguards’ long story. The insurgents had been planning to take out Siwon recently, thus the lone vacation to lure them out. Sungmin found out that Kibum and Siwon’s small team of guards, as well as his alpha’s team had all been on the island, following and tracking them from a distance without him or the insurgents realizing their presence. Or so they thought that the insurgents didn’t realize. Jong had been sharp enough to pick up their presence.  

 

That morning when Siwon had brought him to the forest clearing was supposed to be the trap, but their side had fallen into a counter-trap instead. Guilt struck Sungmin when he learnt that the arm sling Dongwoon was wearing and the wheelchair Hyunseung was in were injuries from the insurgents’ kidnapping. The smaller guesthouse they were staying at was set on fire, and between putting out the flames and finding the two betas, the bodyguards and half of the Special Operations team were diverted from the main task. It left his alpha leading half the team, as well as Kibum and the few guards, to ensure his and Siwon’s safety, but a second strike from the opponents crippled the plan. They were attacked midway and separated from him and Siwon, thus the late rescue when his alpha finally tracked him down again.

 

The entire incident had been perilous, but Sungmin was immensely relieved that no lives were lost… except…

 

He didn’t know about the other insurgents, such as whether the brown alpha whose neck was torn by him survived, but he was sure one died.

 

His alpha had held his hands, staring at him with those intense eyes before saying, Jong is dead.

 

Siwon’s father had heard the entire exchange between them and Jong in the clearing owing to Siwon’s intellect of phoning his father. By the time his alpha’s team had rounded up all the insurgents including Jong, backup from the Choi household had arrived to take over. If his alpha had stayed on the island instead of following him on the medical helicopter back here, his alpha would have probably torn Jong to pieces personally, as affirmed by Junhyung. But all the insurgents had been handed over to the Choi.

 

His alpha had spared him the details of Jong’s death. You don’t need to know how except that he’s dead, his alpha said, but he knew it was probably a cruel ending for the alpha. Sungmin didn’t care anyway; he wanted to forget everything that happened between him and Jong.

 

 

It was till evening that Sungmin knew there was another major contributor to his return he should be grateful towards – the visitor now sitting by his bed. The hands were as warm as the first time he held them, as warm as his alpha’s.

 

“Thank you for everything…” Sungmin indulged in the affection as Suljin caressed his head. “Leeteuk sonsaengnim told me everything already.”

 

Suljin’s eyes shone in a tenderness he had sometimes seen in his alpha’s. “I’m glad to be of help, and even more glad that you’re safe and sound.”

 

“It was everything. Without your information, the plan wouldn’t have even existed, so…” Sungmin bowed his head politely. “Thank you…”

 

Suljin ruffled his hair. “You’re welcome, son.”

 

He stilled and blinked at the term of endearment.

 

“What?” Suljin chuckled, the gentle sound so similar to his alpha’s. “Now that you’re going to be Kyuhyun’s mate again, you’re my son too, aren’t you?”

 

 

The deafening slam of the door caused Sungmin to jump in his bed.

 

“He’s not your son!” His alpha bellowed, stomping over to them. The full rage displayed on his alpha’s face and in his alpha’s aura rendered Sungmin frozen. If he had been bonded, he would probably be fighting his tears and the urge to kneel from his submissive side. His alpha took a deep breath, forcing his expression and tone back into the mask of coldness. “And I’m not your son either.”

 

Sungmin’s heart twinged at the hurt on Suljin’s face.

 

“Let go of my omega,” his alpha ordered in a commanding tone, repeating in a louder shout, “Let go of him!”

 

Sungmin gasped when his alpha swatted Suljin’s hands away, giving a push so rough it sent Suljin and the chair to the floor together. “Suljin-ssi!”

 

“Yah! Cho Kyuhyun!” Leeteuk came running into the ward.

 

Sungmin almost scrambled out of bed to help the other omega, but the glare his alpha sent in his direction froze him again. Don’t you dare, those brown irises warned.

 

With Leeteuk’s support, Suljin picked herself up from the floor calmly, muttering, “I’m fine.”

 

“B-But your elbow…” Sungmin frowned at the bleeding cut.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun, you’re too much—”

 

“What are you still doing here?” His alpha cut Leeteuk off harshly. “Get out!”

 

“M-Master…”

“Cho Kyuhyun!”

 

“I’ll leave…” Suljin mumbled with a bowed head, heading towards the door as Leeteuk trailed after her.

 

Before they could exit, Kikwang, who had left a few minutes ago from his guarding duty reluctantly when Sungmin pleaded with him to see Suljin, rushed in with Dongwoon following closely.

 

“What—”

 

His alpha didn’t allow the other to finish the question – Kyuhyun shoved all of them out of the room, slamming and locking the door. There were only two more knocks on the door before it turned silent, and Sungmin felt everyone’s aura leaving the vicinity.

 

With his heart racing, Sungmin quietly got off the bed, walking over to his alpha that had turned his back. He could evidently sense the anger rolling off his alpha’s body, but he felt like he needed to do something instead of just sitting on the bed. Because his alpha was not only hurting Suljin; his actions were hurting himself too.

 

Sungmin reached out for his alpha’s arm carefully. He wanted to comfort his alpha, he wanted to stop his alpha’s pain, he wanted to help his alpha regain his mother’s love by helping them reconcile.

 

“Master…?”

 

His alpha didn’t reply, but he could see the clenched fists trembling by his alpha’s sides.

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head.

 

“This… is not the first time I met her—”

 

“Not now, Sungmin.”

 

“The last time I was in the hospital…”

 

His alpha spun around, grabbing his wrist. “I said no, Sungmin!” The grasp was so hard it was hurting him, but he didn’t let out a sound. He didn’t even look away from the true blue flashing at him.

 

“I…”

 

“I know she met you before!” His alpha yelled into his face. “And I know without her help, we would never think of making use of the insurgents! But no,” his alpha clenched his teeth, “I will never forgive her.”

 

Despite the chill that ran down his back, Sungmin tried. “She didn’t leave you because—”

 

There was a quick swing of hand before it stopped abruptly in the air. Sungmin didn’t flinch this time from the slap even if he had anticipated it, but his alpha’s steely eyes widened in shock.

 

“N-No—” Kyuhyun shook his head vehemently, spinning away swiftly after releasing Sungmin. A tensed hand grasped the blond strands, his alpha muttering, “Sorry… I’m sorry—I a-almost—”

 

His alpha scurried towards the couch, rummaging through his backpack.

 

“Master?” Sungmin watched his alpha in confusion, following over. When he saw his alpha pouring tablets out from a drug bottle with trembling and bloodied hands, Sungmin realised what his alpha was doing. It was the stabilizing drugs Dongwoon mentioned – the one with side effects.

 

Sungmin dashed over, snatching the bottle away from his alpha as the tablets spilled into the air. However, his alpha had already gotten hold of a few in his bloodstained hand, and made a quick attempt to throw them into his mouth after the surprise had passed. Sungmin grabbed his alpha’s wrist and pulled hard, seizing the four tablets and scratching across his alpha’s wounds in the process.

 

As Kyuhyun hissed and was distracted by the pain, Sungmin plopped the tablets into his mouth – a desperate and stupid move thought up in that fraction of a second. He wanted to swallow the tablets, but the extreme bitterness attacking his tongue locked up his throat, causing him to scrunch up his face.

 

When he managed to look at his alpha’s face again, the anger was gone, replaced fully by panic and worry.

 

“Spit it out.” His alpha lifted a palm to him, not seeming to even realize the blood and wounds on it. “Sungmin! You have to spit it out!”

 

Sungmin shook his head slowly, determined not to give in so easily.

 

“You cannot take that!” His alpha pushed the palm nearer, the other hand clamping his shoulder. “It’s too strong for you!”

 

Without swallowing the tablets, he tried to speak as clearly as he could. “Promise me you won’t take this again—”

 

It didn’t take a repeat for his alpha to agree. Kyuhyun nodded his head frantically, the anxious palm prompting again.

 

Staring at the blood on his alpha’s palm, Sungmin lifted his own hand to spit the tablets into, closing up on the mess of saliva and drugs. He thought it was over, but his alpha dragged him by the wrist to the bathroom, pulling his hand over the toilet bowl.

 

“Throw it.”

 

Sungmin upturned his palm, emptying the tablets into the toilet bowl. His alpha flushed the toilet, before pulling him again to the sink, pressing the back of his neck down.

 

“Wash your mouth.”

 

Sungmin did as told, and the panic seemed to finally leave his alpha when he finished and looked up. However, it was momentary.

 

His alpha’s widened eyes we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter