CHANGE OF PLANS

The Hae Dal Chi Chronicles

Donghae's POV

 

I have set aside the thoughts of you being possibly alive but with everything that's been happening. I think.. Maybe Minho's speculations are right. He was supposed to tell me something important regarding your family but we got to them too late. They gave up their lives protecting Soojin. If only we got there earlier then they might have been still alive and we would be able to shed some light on the blurry incident. Things became complicated and more regimented since that night. We were naive teens training to become members of the elite Hae Dal Chi warriors - me, the boys, and the girls.

Others were studying day and night to become members of the prestigious Red Dal R&D society whose members are well-known in the scientific community of not only the elementals but also the humans. We envied my brother and his friends who were already members of Hae Dal Chi and Red Dal. We wanted to join them and be cool like them. We did not really think of how hard it would be once we get to where they are. How I wish we could turn back time and go back to those days as young trainees enjoying life and each other's company. Despite our rigorous training, we were still able to experience what other elemental kids do during their teenage years - pretty much the same as humans, we went to school, fooled around, partied here and there, and well, fell in love (puppylove, first love, infatuation... whatever kids call it nowadays).

I, despite my dorkiness, mustered up the courage and confessed to you. I miss those days.. I miss you.. I miss us.. Despite what we were told, I still haven't lose hope. I still believe that you're alive.. that you and your siblings were able to escape. I can feel it in my heart. With the recent events, I know.. I know that you guys are still out there. Nobody knows that I was there before the masked men killed Imo and Samchon. I was looking for you to warn you of something.. I'm still trying to remember what. I lost most of my memories of that night but I am slowly remembering things now.

One thing I do remember is that some masked men were holding you, Soojung, and Yonghwa hostage. Your parents were fighting off the others. I wanted to barge in and help but Samchon talked to me through our minds. They were weak and on the verge of losing. He told me to help you guys instead. He told me to find help and save you and your siblings. He was sure that they would not kill you off because they still needed something fom you. I did not want to leave but I had to. Reluctantly, I left to find help. As I was running, Imo and Samchon talked to me again, they made me promise to find you guys and protect you. I looked back as I made my promise to them and to my shock, the mansion exploded and I heard your parents last word to me.. "Gomawo.." I will not stop til I find you. I will find out who is responsible and make sure that whoever he/she/they is/are, they will pay for what they have done. Sooyeon-ah.. I will find you.

 

 

Author's POV

 

Donghae was pulled back to reality when he heard the high-pitched squeal of the girl he was waiting for.

"OPPAAAAAAAAAA!" Soojin squealed in excitement as she ran towards him and hugged him tightly.

Donghae chuckled at the girl's excitement as he hugged her back.

"Aigoo.. It seems you missed me that much huh?" He broke the hug and looked at his dongsaeng.

"Of course! How can I not miss my favorite oppa??" Soojin replied with a grin.

He ruffled her hair as he led her to the garden's gazeebo. He patted on the space next to him telling her to sit next to him.

"So, how's my favorite dongsaeng??" He asked her with a smile.

Soojin giggled at how endearing her oppa was.

Despite them not being blood-related, he has treated her as his little sister ever since, especially after that night happened.

"I'm fine I guess.. I can now beat the unnies in combat you know!" She said proudly.

Donghae chuckled as he replied "Mwo?? That's great for you.. but bad for them. Hahahaha, remind me to check up on their combat skills soon. We might have to retrain them. Haha." Soojin laughed along with him.

"I missed this place...you and Sooyeon-unnie always brought me here whenever we came to visit the Kims and Hanbin-oppa and his friends made me cry.." Soojin said with a longing tone as she looked into the distance.

Soojin got lost in her thoughts as she reminisced on the past, on the good times to be exact. Donghae felt his dongsaeng's sadness which almost made him tell her about her siblings and the recent events.

He patted Soojin's back comforting her.

"I miss them so much oppa. I still have blurry memories of that night. Sometimes, when I get nightmares, I think they are memories of that night.. or maybe I'm just imagining things. If only I can remember, then perhaps I'd be able to find something which could lead me to the one responsible for my family's unfortunate fate. I'd be able to give justice to my family..If only I was powerful enough to help them..they would still be here with me. I still don't understand why I'm the only one who survived. It doesn't make sense. They're way more powerful than me. They should've been the ones here..not me." She said with a sigh.

Donghae sighed as he put an arm around her. "Jin-ah.. don't blame yourself and don't think that way. You are not weak. You were still a kid. They loved you so much that is why they did everything to protect you. They would not want to see you sulking like this." He said to the teary-eyed girl. The mood was becoming too dramatic so he decided to lighten up the mood. "Hey, don't be like that arasso?? The others might think I made you cry. The members will surely kill me. So.. smile okay??"

Soojin chuckled at her oppa's attempt to comfort her.

Her phone suddenly vibrated as she got a message from Seohyun asking her where she is. She stood up and wiped away her tears.

"Deh! Anyway, gotta go oppa.. unnies are looking for me. Let's continue this chitchat later okay?"

Donghae nodded with a smile as the girl went off to her unnies leaving him at the gazeebo.

 

"Soojin-ah.. don't be too hard on yourself. Your siblings are still out there. Just hang in there. We will find them." He thought to himself.

 

 

Soojin's POV

 

I received a message from the unnies asking me where I was. So, I had to cut short my time catching up with Donghae-oppa.

I really missed him and the other oppas. They have been my family since the day I lost mine. They brought me back to life, especially Donghae-oppa. I was a wreck back then. I could not accept the fact that everyone in my family is dead. I shut out everyone and became lost in my misery. I wanted to end my life and join my family. It was just too much to bear. Fortunately, my unnies and oppas did not give up on me. Despite also having lost loved ones, they did not let this bring them down and they did their best to help me and make me feel that I am not alone.

Donghae-oppa was the one who was with me everyday until I became my normal self again. Others were afraid to bring up my family in our comvrsations except for him. Everytime I would feel like shutting out the world again. He would remind me that my unnies would not want that especially Sooyeon-unnie. He acted as if they were just away on a very long vacation and would be back. I found it annoying and stupid at first. How could he act like this? They'e all gone... However, as time passed by, this was what made me feel better and helped me move on with my life. He made me realize that remembering them and keeping them alive in my heart is not a bad thing. It is what made me stronger..

I became lost in my thoughts as I made my way back to my room where the unnies were waiting for me.

 

I finally saw the familiar door to my room. I turned the knob and entered the room which I haven't set foot in for 5 years.

"Hmmmm... looks like the interior designer did a geat job!" I said out loud which caught the attention of the girls who were lying on the bed and bean bags.

"Where have you been? We've been waiting for like 20 minutes! We were so worried!" Taeyeon-unnie exclaimed exaggeratedly.

They all sat up and looked at me expectantly.

"Oh come on unnie. You all know I was with Hae-oppa. He told me he informed you guys. Besides, you would've been out looking for me if you really were worried." I said with a knowing look.

They all giggled at Taeyeon-unnie's failed attempt of making me feel guilty. Taeyeon-unnie just stared at me with an exaggerated hurt look. The little unnie acted childish as usual so I just gave in and apologized to save time.

"Fine.fine.. Mianheyo.. I should've returned sooner. I'm sorry for making you worry." I said as I hugged her from the side.

She smiled brightly at her victory. Unnie just loves beating me at this kind of game.

 

 

Tiffany-unnie stood up and went inside my walk-in closet. She came back with a gorgeous black dress paired perfectly with shoes and accessories.

"We've prepared your attire for tonight since we knew you'd be too busy to do it yourself. Like it??" She asked me with gleaming eyes.

I looked at her with a wide smile and nodded in approval. I just love my unnies' sense of fashion. Sunny-unnie and Hyoyeon-unnie dragged me to my dresser and began fixing my hair and make-up while the other girls started changing into their own gorgeous clothes.

"I wasn't informed that Hae Dal Chis are so informal and friendly with council members to the point that they can use the council members' rooms as their own." I mockingly said.

I was answered with Taeyeon-unnie's flying overcoat which landed right on my face.

"Taengoo! You're gonna ruin her make-up!" Tiffany-unnie exclaimed as she ran to me, checking up on my make-up.

The others chuckled as they went on with their own business. Tiffany-unnie took over as she fixed my hair.

 

After an hour, we were all dressed up and ready for the dinner party. I walked out to my room's veranda and saw the convoy of vehicles entering the estate grounds.

Hyoyeon-unnie placed arm around me as Tiffany-unnie asked me with a serious look "Are you ready Council Jung??"

It felt so weird being called Council Jung. That was my father's title. It should've been my Sooyeon-unnie's or Yonghwa-oppa's or even Soojung-unnie's title.. not mine. Definitely not mine. Being a council member was never in my plans. All I wanted was to become a Hae Dal Chi member aside from my day job which was to be the CEO of my own company. My plans are a bit different now. I intend to take over Red Moon Entertainment which was established by my family. Uncle Youngmin is the CEO since I am still not eligible to run the company though I am the biggest shares. I just have to finish my last two years in uni and I'll be able to run the company myself. I trust Uncle Youngmin but the company is the only thing left behind by my family. My family poured their heart and soul in establishing the company and making it prosper. Jungs established it so a Jung should run it. I will make sure that this happens.

 

After a few minutes, the unnies led me to the banquet hall where the party would be held and I would be reunited with my clan and other elementals.