Your Smile

What Am I To You?
 

"Do you like me?"


Oh no


"What?"


"I said, do you like me?"


Dear God, no
 

"Why would you think that?" Daehyun tries to keep himself clam as Youngjae begins to stutter a reply.


"W-well, Junhong said--"


"Junhong? Why is Junhong talking about me?" Daehyun fully turns to face Youngjae. He removes his arms from Youngjae's waist. "Did he tell you to ask me this?"


"Y-yes.."


"Why is that freshman so interested in our relationship? I thought you two weren't dating?" His hands come around to fist Youngjae's collar.

 

"We're not...he was just wondering because you always touching and holding me like lovers do--"


"And he has a problem with that?"

 

Youngjae shakes his head, "He doesn't...but Jongup does.."


"Well tell Jongup," his face was a few inches away from Youngjae 's as he spoke, "I can do whatever I want to you. I can hug, punch, cuddle, kick and, " he brings his face closer, making the tip of his nose brush against Youngjae 's, "even kiss you. And you can't do anything about it, understand?"


Youngjae nods his head, resulting on his nose rubbing against Daehyun's. Did he just say he can kiss me if he wanted to?


 

"Now, lets read." Daehyun returns to his previous poistion, head on Youngjae 's shoulder and arms around the younger. Youngjae finds himself smiling, and he's not quite sure why.

 

-----------------------

 


"He said that?" Jongup stares at his friend in shock.


Youngjae nods his head.


 

"Like..he actually said that? Those were his exact words?"

 

Youngjae nods his head again.

 

"I knew it!" Junhong said, loud enough for everyone lunch table around them can hear. "I knew that he likes you!"
 

"Well, I'm...stunned. Just stunned. Stunned is the only way to describe how...stunned I am."


"Be quiet, Hyung." Junhong playfully hits his hyung. 


-----

 

"Hello~...Daehyun-ssi?"

 

Daehyun looks up from his phone. In front of him stands Hyolyn. A pretty, petite girl who is known for being with plenty of guys. His mouth twitches in disgust, "What?"

 

"I messsaged you last night, why didn't you answer? I know that you had read it."
 


"For the last time, Hyolyn, I have no interest in taking you to the dance this Friday."

 

"Oh, come on Daehyun~," she leans onto his desk, pressing her together in the process. "You've never been to a school dance before...I promise you'll have fun.."

 

"Oh my goodness, you're giving me a headache."

 

She pouts, but before she can say anything back, the teacher is telling everyone to take their seats. 

 

"Everyone, I know it is the middle of the first semester, but we have a new student..."

 

The teachers voice disappears into the background when Daehyun focuses his attention to the text he has just received from Youngjae . Youngjae was 10 minutes late for class, which was extremely weird since he is always the first one to show up. 

 

I'll be there soon. Alarm clock broke. 

 

"So please be nice to our new student, Yi Kris." Daehyun looks up from his phone at the new kid. He wore the same uniform as the rest of the students in school, but his hair was dyed a bright blonde. The most noticeable feature about the new kid was his eye smile and perfectly straight teeth. "Please say something about yourself, Kris." The teacher smiles. 

 

The new kid nods his head curtly at the teacher, then faces the rest of the class as he spoke, "Hello," he gave a deep bow and countined, "my name is Yi Kris. I have come from the China to study here in Korea for my last year. When I was younger I would come here for camp, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. Please take care of me!" He bows again. 

 

Daehyun rolls his eyes, what a tool, he thinks to himself. Great. Just what this school needs; another big shot exchange student who thinks they're all that because they've traveled the world. 

 

Just as the teacher was choosing a place of Kris to sit, Youngjae comes barging in. He instantly makes his way to the teacher to explain. "I'm sorry for being late, Mrs.Park, my alarm clock broke." 

 

"It is one thing to be late to class Youngjae , but it is extremely rude to interrupt the new student." The teacher scolds him. 

 

"I didn't know..." A faint blush is shown on his face. 

 

"Well, for you punishment for being late, you have to be Kris's tour guide for the rest of the week."

 

Oh great! Daehyun throws his arms up in frustration. He all ready has a freshman trying to date his crush, now the new guy too?!

 

Kris follows Youngjae back to his seat where he sits on the opposite side of the younger. As Daehyun was about to ask how his alarm clock broke, Kris chimed in. 

 

"What other classes do you have, Youngjae-ssi? Maybe we have other classes together?" 

 

"Next period--"

 

"Next period we have English, now please be quiet, the teacher is starting her lesson." Daehyun possessively puts his arm around Youngjae's shoulders, pressing his side against Youngjae's. 

 

The teacher begins the lesson, but Daehyun was too busy sending the new kid death glares to pay attention. 

 

------

 

"Look at him," Daehyun says with a mouth full of rice, "God, I hate him."

 

"He's been here, what? Maybe two days? what could he have possibly done to make you hate him?" Yongguk asks, looking ahead of them at the table where the new kid sat, happily chatting away and eating with Youngjae and his friends. 

 

"His whole being, hyung. He's so full of himself," Daehyun argues, grains of rice flying out of his mouth as he spoke. He looks back to his crush, laughing with the new kid. "makes me sick." He shoves yet another spoonful of rice into his all ready full mouth. He eats when he's upset. 

 

"Or is it because he's making friends with Youngjae?" 

 

Daehyun nearly chokes on his food at Himchans suggestion. "What? Of course not! I'm not mad at that for having friends!"

 

"Well, it looks like you and Youngjae were finally getting along, but now the new kid seems to be interfering." Himchan chuckles. 

 

Daehyun's spoon is suddenly being dropped. He wipes his mouth with the back of his schools uniform sleeve, quickly standing then making his way over to the other boy, despite his friends protests. 

 

It wasn't what Himchan had just said that caused Daehyun to get up from his seat and march over to his crush. It was because Youngjae had just accepted a chocolate cupcake from Kris. 

 

 

--flashback--

 

Daehyun can't keep his eyes off of Youngjae . During the entire bake sale Daehyun has been gawking over the sight of Youngjae in a cute little yellow apron. He looks absolutely adorable, handing over the cookies and smiling happily to each and every customer. It was their schools first bake sale of the year. At the beginning of the day, Daehyun was tired and bored. But after seeing that Youngjaes parents had forced Youngjae to join the bake sale as well, the fourteen year old was extremely happy. 

 

"I said, excuse me." Daehyun looks away from Youngjae to find a middle aged woman with a child standing in front of his cupcake stand. 

 

"Oh sorry, how many would you like?" After the lady had bought two treats, Daehyun sadly looks down to find that he only has one cupcake left. As he begins to pack up his stand, he wonders something; has Youngjae eaten today? He looks over at the other boys stand, his lunch box still untouched underneath his table. 

 

Daehyun grabs the remaining cupcake from the display tray, nearly running over people as he approaches his crush. "Youngjae ," Daehyun huffs, out of breath, "do you want my last cupcake?" He asks as he shoves the small cake towards the other. 

 

Youngjae turns away from a customer, looking down at the cupcake in the older's quivering hand (Daehyun is still in the awkward fourteen-year-old-boy-with-a-crush phase). "Uh, no thanks Daehyun," Youngjae says with a slight lisp from his retainer (Youngjae's in the awkward before-puberty phase), "I only like vanilla cupcakes."

 

Daehyun's heart sinks to the pit of his stomach as he retracts the cupcake back, "Vanilla?"

 

"Yeah, thorry." Youngjae flashes his cute eye smile, the metal strip of his retainer is clearly shown. 

 

Daehyun blushes, then quickly shoves the treat harshly into his mouth, "Well, you don't need it anyway," he said around the chocolate cake, "you're getting pretty fat." He swallows thickly then turns away to leave the now shocked boy. 

 

 

-----

 

 

Daehyun marches over the where his crush was sitting. 

 

"Oh no," he over hears Jongup mumble in fear when he arrives at the table.

 

"Oh shut up." Daehyun snaps. 

 

"Jae!" Daehyun pretends not to have a real reason why he randomly came over to visit his crush, "how are we today?" He fakes a smile, "what do we have here?" He snatches the cupcake away from the younger. He pretends to inspect it, "a chocolate cupcake? Who gave you this?"

 

"...Kris..." Youngjae admits with shame. 

 

"Oh sorry, Hyung. Youngjae only likes vanilla cupcakes." He slams the cupcake in front of Kris. "Remember?" he glares at Youngjae , who looks back with confusion. 

 

He hears Kris chuckle. Daehyun can't tell if he's laughing because he thinks the situation is funny, or if Youngjae and his friends told him about the way Daehyun acts with Youngjae . 

 

The new kid picks up the cupcake, then slams is it back in front of Youngjae . "But Youngjae-ah has all ready accepted it." he stands up, eye level with Daehyun. 

 

"Well he was only being nice, I'm sure." Daehyun picks up the cupcake and shoves it against the new kids chest, making some of the icing rub onto the boys white dress shirt. 

 

Kris smirks. "But I know he wants it." He shoves the cake back to Daehyun's chest, frosting too falling onto Daehyun's shirt. 

 

"Oh you know he wants it?"

 

"Yeah, I do."

 

"Then here Jae," Daehyun turns to Youngjae whose head was down. "eat it." He shoves the whole cupcake in Youngjae's face, making everything including the wrapper push through Youngjae's lips. He pushes it further into the boys mouth, making him slightly choke at the intrusion. 

 

"You're hurting him!" Junhong cries, trying to pull the other hand away from his friend. 

 

Tears spill out of Youngjae's eyes as he coughs out the cupcake. 

 

Kris steps closer to Daehyun, "What the hell is your problem?"

 

Daehyun's frosting-covered hands come up to grab Kris's shirt collar, "Right now, it's you."

 

"Okay, okay." Himchan is suddenly behind his friend, laughing a nervous laugh. "Play times over, kids" Him and Yongguk start dragging their friend away from the soon-to-be fight. 

 

"This isn't over!" Kris calls at him, Jongup and Junhong holding him back. 

 

"You're ing right it's not, !" Daehyun spits back. His face is nearly blue with anger. 

 

Yongguk pushes Daehyun against the wall outside the cafeteria. "What the were you doing back there?!" The eldest practically screams. 

 

"That freak was pissing me off!" Daehyun retorts. 

 

"Why? Because he gave Youngjae a stupid cupcake? That's ing ridiculous, Daehyun!"

 

"It's not just that--"

 

"You really need to control your heat against people, Daehyun. You can't just beat up people if they're nice to him! Other people can like Youngjae . It's okay."

 

"Just because you hate him doesn't mean everyone has to!" Himchan practically shakes Daehyun. 

 

"I don't hate him.." Daehyun confesses, "I.." love him.  

 

"You what?" Yongguk asks. 

 

"I..I don't need this right now." Daehyun storms off, but Himchan grabs his wrist before he can go. 

 

"No, you do." He tells him. 

 

"Just go apologize, Daehyun. And end this stupid fight."

 

Daehyun shakes his arm away from his friend. He's all ready on his way to the bathroom where Youngjae would most likely be. 

 

He later enters the bathroom where Youngjae is rinsing his mouth and face with water. 

 

"Youngjae .." Daehyun begins, but ends up stopping when Youngjae turns around. His face his beat red, eyes puffy and fresh tears running down his face. There's still chocolate frosting on his face. "I'm sorry..I don't know--" he stops himself from lying. He knows exactly why he did that to the younger boy, but doesn't want to admit it. 

 

"Just..go." Youngjae 's voice cracks. 

 

"Please..."

 

"I'm tired of this, Daehyun. I'm tired of crying because you're a to me, then having to act like nothing happened because you say so." Youngjae turns back to continue rinsing his mouth out. 

 

"I promise I won't do it again...just please believe me."

 

"Okay," he retrieves paper towels from the dispenser beside the sink, "I'll believe you." He wipes his mouth dry with the towel. 

 

"Really?" Theres a hint of hopefulness in Daehyun's voice. 

 

"I will when you tell me why you're bullying me," Youngjae stands with his hands on his hips. 

 

Daehyun opens his mouth, then closes it. He can't. He wants to, but he can't. 

 

"Exactly." Youngjae throws his used tissue in the garbage before walking around the older boy to leave the room. 

 

Daehyun punches the wall when the younger leaves. He breaks out into a loud cry as he holds his now throbbing hand. He clutches his shirt, his heart is hurting, tears fall onto his dirty shirt. He's ruined his chances with his crush, and he feels like dying.

 

----

 

I know that the fight over the cupcake was stupid and really random, but I wanted to show how stupid Daehyun's jealously is, and how everyone thinks it is too. And that he's realized it too. I love Kris so  when I write the rude things that Daehyun has to say about him, I don't really mean it. Thank you for reading!! Please comment ​:)