Your Ears

What Am I To You?

 

 

Daehyun's mother frowns as she places the back of her hand on her eldest sons head. It’s still a little warm, giving her some hope that her baby boy is getting better. "It's gone down a lot."

 

 

Daehyun smiles, sorrowfully. "That's good." He doesn't really want to go back to school...not after what had happen three days ago. He glances towards the window where the early morning sun was slowly becoming more predominant as it rising from behind the houses of Daehyun's neighbors. 

 

 

"Do you feel well enough to attend school today?"

 

 

 

Daehyun bites the side of his cheek- hesitate. He wasn't really sick, just scared for what is to come when he does go back to school. The last time he had been at school was three days ago, when he left early after his dramatic scene in the bathroom. He hadn't messaged Youngjae, and he didn't receive anything back. 

 

 

 

 

"Yeah...I guess," Daehyun reaches for his phone, a habit of his when his mother-or anyone at that- shows any form of affection for the teen. He also repeatedly checks his phone for any sign of his crush wanting to contact him. An apology, or a plea of some sort saying that what Kris had said was a complete misunderstanding and that he's been in love with Daehyun since day one- but Daehyun quickly gives up on that hope when his phone screen is blank, just the face of his long term crush as his background. 

 

 

 

 

His mother takes it upon herself to leave to get Daehyun's younger brother ready for school now. Daehyun takes his time getting ready. His school uniform was hanging in its familiar spot, hanging from the doorknob of his closet door. It had been there since yesterday, after he told his mother that his headache had gotten worse through the night--it really had. 

 

 

 

 

He takes a cold shower, repeatedly running the cool water over his face to wake him up. 

 

 

 

 

He gets dressed, the bangs of his dark brown hair falling over his eyes as he puts on his dress pants. After he finishes getting his uniform on, he positions himself in front of his eye level mirror. As he takes a gulp of hair styling gel, he mindlessly styles his hair the way Youngjae likes it (well the way he assumes he likes it). 

 

 

 

 

He leaves for school an hour later after getting up, and arrives shortly after that. 

 

 

 

 

The halls were practically empty, aside from the occasional teacher or student. Daehyun always arrives early for school. 

 

 

 

As Daehyun walks into his first period classroom, he stops at the front door when he hears Youngjae's and Kris's voice. 

 

 

 

"Just hold on until the project is due, okay? It's due in three days."

 

 

 

"I don't know...he's so mean to me. I don't want to cry anymore."

 

 

 

"You won't...I promise."

 

 

 

Daehyun enters the classroom, impassively. He takes off his backpack before he sits down at this desk. He feels eyes on him, but doesn't look up. He takes out his phone to watch a few videos before class starts. He knows that Kris was trying to make Youngjae become partners for the assignment again. Daehyun appreciates his kindness, but he doesn't need his assistants. 

 

 

 

The chair that used to belong to Youngjae scraps against the aluminum flooring as the younger takes a seat. 

 

 

 

"Dae...about what happened," Youngjae begins but stops when Daehyun puts his headphones on, blocking out the rest of the sound around him. 

 

 

 

Daehyun can't hear anything but the videos he's watching. It's about two basketball players who are about to get drafted by--

 

 

 

Daehyun feels slight pressure around his waist and a small thud on his shoulder. He looks down, eyes widening slightly when he sees that Youngjae's hugging him. His eyes meet Kris's across the room, a small smile playing on his lips.

 

 

 

Daehyun turns, his headphones falling out of his ears in the process. His arms wrap around Youngjae's waist, pressing his face in the warmth of Youngjae's neck. He breathes in the familiar scent of his crush. "I'm sorry..." his whispers into his neck. 

 

 

 

"I am too." Youngjae hugs Daehyun back, his arms looping around the older one's neck. He rests his head against the latters head. 

 

 

 

The bells rings, eventually making the two males break away from each other. The teacher and the rest of the class soon enter the room. Jongup notices Youngjae's absents from his desk, looking up towards the two males who aren't looking at each other. He sighs, and takes his seat beside Kris's.

 

 

 

The two share awkward glances, Daehyun showing his shy side that Youngjae has never seen before. He finds it endearing. 

 

 

 

Daehyun bites his lip, taking deep breaths before he slowly puts his hand on Youngjae's thigh. He's done this numerous times before, but for some reason it feels different this time. Maybe it's because they had gotten into that serious fight, or maybe it was because Youngjae slowly began to move his leg closer to Daehyun so the latter can have better access to his thigh. 

 

 

 

Daehyun swallows thickly. He meets eyes with Youngjae, the older giving him an alluring smile, but his eyes were saying something else. Yes, there was defiantly something different about this time. 

 

 

---

 

 

Daehyun follows Yongguk and Himchan to their table, the three of them taking the last few seats at the table. The conversation picks up when Himchan mentions the basket ball game last night. Daehyun takes his usual position, staying out of the conversation. His eyes are soon looking down at the able in front of them, face reddening when he meets the eye of Youngjae. 

 

 

 

Youngjaeg held up his phone, indicating for Daehyun to do the same. When Daehyun looks down in his lap at his phone, he sees that he had received a message form the younger. 

 

 

 

Walk me home? We can work on our project at my house. 

 

 

 

Daehyun's breath gets caught in his throat, his eyes meeting Youngjae's across the room once again. Youngjae smiled shyly, biting his lip.

 

 

--

 

 

The walk to Youngjae's house wasn't far, only a few blocks from Daehyun's, but it was still excruciating. They shared more nervous looks, the back of back their hands brushing against each other’s. 

 

 

 

"This is me," Youngjae says, blushing, "You can come in, no ones home." He makes his way to the front door and starts to unlock it. The fact that no one would be home with Youngjae and him made the teen feel more nervous. 

 

 

 

The inside was nice, much nicer than his house. Youngjae showed him the way to his room that was up stairs. The pounding in his heart was almost unbearable. Youngjae leads him to his room, letting the older enter before he does and closes the door behind them. 

 

 

 

His room smelled like him. The scent was almost over powering to the older male, making him light headed. He takes a seat on the bed, still nervous about the entire situation. The younger takes off his coat and instructs the other to do the same. Youngjae takes a seat next to Daehyun. He fidgets with his uniform blazer sleeve. The bright yellow uniforms against Youngjae's cream coloured sheets contrasted but neither of the boys noticed--or cared enough too. 

 

 

 

"Dae..." Youngjae broke the thick silence. 

 

 

 

"Yeah?" Daehyun answered too quickly, anxious for someone to say anything about the tension in the room. He wasn't going to be the one to.

 

 

 

"I have something to confess..." The younger began, "I finished the assignment in my study class today."

 

 

 

"Then why did you ask me here if we're not going to work on it?"

 

 

 

"I wanted to talk about something..."

 

 

 

"About what?"

 

 

 

Youngjae gnaws at his inner cheek. "Well..." he began, and then stopped. His eyes studied Daehyun's, making the latter more worried. "Kris...told me about your crush on me..."

 

 

 

"He did..." Daehyun looks down at his hands.

 

 

 

Youngjae places his hands on Daehyun's shoulder, making the other look back up at him. "He also told me why you were bullying me."

 

 

 

"I really didn't want to hurt you, Youngjae-ah. I promise." Daehyun pleads with the younger, looking for Youngjae to accept his apology. 

 

 

 

"I believe you." Youngjae smiles. 

 

 

 

Daehyun smiles back, relieved. They stare at each other until Youngjae breaks the silence once more. His face became softer when he spoke, "What did you want to do to me."

 

 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

 

 

"What do you want from me? Do you want to be friends, do you want to be strangers...do you want something more?" Youngjae's arms fell from the older’s shoulder. The look on his face was hard to read. 

 

 

 

"You know what I want Jae..." Youngjae closed the distance between Daehyun and him. His breath heats up Daehyun's face. Their closeness making Daehyun's palms sweat.

 

 

 

"Show me..." Youngjae's voice dropped a few octaves lower, a shiver running down Daehyun's back. Show him what? Daehyun wonders. He tries to read Youngjae's face again; the younger’s eyes were slightly hooded, a faint blush showing on the apples of his cheeks. His breathing became louder with every passing second. He couldn’t want…No, Daehyun concludes. He doesn't think Youngjae want Daehyun to do anything like that.

 

 

 

His view on the situation changed when his crush lays a hand on his thighs. The warmth radiating off of his palm made Daehyun bite his lip. Daehyun reacts by putting his hand on Youngjae's face, delicately caressing the younger’s cheek. Daehyun's heart beat speeds up when Youngjae's hands travel farther up on his leg. Maybe he does want Daehyun to show him how much he admires the other. 

 

 

 

Daehyun slowly and carefully leans in, watching his crush closely for any signs of objection. When he sees none, he draws in a deep breath before moving in more. His breath ghosts over Youngjae's kiss, the room becoming hotter with the tension between the two teens. And soon enough Daehyun takes it upon himself to close the space between his and his crush's lips. 

 

 

 

This is it

 

 

 

He runs his hands down Youngjae's cheeks, the back of his neck. He tilts his head to deepen the kiss.

 

 

 

It's finally happening...