Huang Zitao

EXO Short Stories

"Zitao, I'll be going for two weeks."

There, I said it while cleaning up what's left after dinner. My husband who is currently lazying around on the couch with a (special edition of huge) bag of chips in his left hand turns his head abruptly.

"What???"

I stop for a while, searching for his face.

"To Japan"

He keeps glaring at me, his thick eyebrows start to furrow. Considering I have given him enough information to process, I continue my steps towards the kitchen to do the dishes. That's when I hear a sudden loud screech of the sofa and huge steps which I have recognized too well.

"But baaaaabe..."

Here he goes.
He then approaches me and towering me with his body beside the sink.

"I've told you, right? I'll be going sooner or later. The bosses need us there." I said to him, not moving my eyes from the plates I wash.

"When?"

He said while playing with the ties of my apron on my shoulder. A hint of sadness is so obvious in his voice, as usual if something upsets him.

"On Thursday"

"But that's like 5 days from now!!"

"Still 5 days from now, Tao.. I'll make sure I'll left some instant food for you to heat, but you need to buy some also, okay?"

What I heard as an answer is only fading steps and a bang of my bedroom door.

Sigh.

-

After finishing all necessary cleanings for the night, I open the door to our bedroom only to find the big baby sleeping with his back facing my side of the bed. He folds his knee in a fetal position, although he doesn't fit every category of being a baby, seeing that he takes up almost 2/3 part of the bed. I slip myself beside him, resting my exhausted body. As I pull up the thick blanket over my and his body, I can't help but to re-think about the situation.

I've never left him for that long ever since we got married 8 months ago. The longest was 3 days trip with my girlfriends before she got married. And my house was definitely a huge mess when I got home on Sunday night. He greeted me with a big hug that lasted maybe 10 minutes, and it was after he called me thrice a day and* insisted that I have to always reply his messages every single time.

I take a look at his back and can't help but smile while trying to suppress my chuckle. His whole body screams a really mature manly man, or whatever they call it. But truthfully, he mostly acts just like a whining toddler if things went wrong. I reach out my hand to touch his thick black hair on the back of his head. As I them, he seems slightly moving in his sleep. Seeing him also makes me want to spoil my heavy eyelids so I start to close them. But I can't continue that because suddenly he turns his body and traps my right hand with his left cheek, acts like it's his personal pillow.

I knew it. He can never be mad at me over something like this. He just shows how upset he is, I can't help but feel guilty that I have to left him.

-

Thursday morning

I wake up suddenly over something heavy above my thigh. I open my eyes to find myself in a weird position. I am covered, no, rolled in the blanket and something heavy on my thigh is Tao's body, his upper body over my covered lower limbs. I let out a grunt, only to be answered by also a grunt.

"Why is it Thursday already...." His muffled hoarse voice said.

Truthfully, I also have no heart to leave him. But let's just get this over with, I think, because this needs to be done anyway.


After breakfast that filled with me giving him some notes plus explaining about things to do when I'm gone, I also take a full check on the apartment. When I enter the bedroom, I see the blue worn shirt I previously used is still lying on my bed. Then I hear Tao say "It's okay, I'll place it on the basket later". Giving a thankful glance at him, I closed the bedroom door. I take one last glance around the whole room when he gives me a backhug. He slightly swing my body left to right and take a sneak kiss on my temple. I chuckle at his touchy-ness.

"Be good, right? I expect to see this thick tummy when I'm back" I slightly nudge his waist. I know, he's not fat, even far from it, but I just like to .

"I'm not fat" he mumbles the words with his chin on my left shoulder.

I turn and answer by pinching both his thick cheeks. Surprisingly, he wasn't arguing like usual. But instead, after I let go of his face, he close his eyes and tap his cheek, as if asking me to kiss it.

Tsk. This guy..



Tao got a special privilege to go the office later today, I assumed that's because Kyungsoo-ssi (Tao's boss) already know the situation very well. So after that he drives me to the airport. I know very well that my husband really want to frown and sulk all morning but his responsible self took over and he just responds to my jokes and open some daily conversations.

When it's time for me to board, he hugs me properly like how a husband does, and pats my head.

"Be careful of your things"
"Aware of you surroundings"
"Don't go out alone at night"

But, he said every sentence by pecking different parts of my face. Gosh, this Public Display of Affection (..still got me crimson, though..).


I stop his movement by cupping his face. "You too. Eat well."

And I peck his eye.

He maybe finds it satisfying-considering I always shove his face away when he gets too touchy in the public-so he decided to release me. I squeeze his finger that laced with mine before I let him go. I notice a waver in his eyes as he watches me almost turn to go.

Then again, this is Zitao.

He pecks my lips. Here. In front of all this people. Surrendering, I let this lasts seconds before I pulled away.

"See you soon" I said.

"I'll call you" Is his last line before I wave at him.

-


Where are you?
What are you doing?
Call me when you arrive at the hotel
Babe
Where did you put my grey socks?
Oh I got it
Baaaaaabe
Why haven't you call mee
(He also sent a selca of him on the bed with my Panda plushie)


You received 5 voice notes
You received 10 missed calls.



Those are what I got when I finally check my phone after half an hour.

And, it’s only the 3rd day.
 

 

-

 

Day Seven.

 

 

“..Yes, i had dinner already, what are you eating right now?”

“Ramen” he said with his slightly full cheek.

“Again?”

“because I’m hungry”

“but that doesn’t mean you boil a cup everyday! Gosh, Tao.”

“It’s your fault anyway..” even though he mumbled his words, i can hear it well.

“what did you say?”

“nothing...” he stops to swallow his food, almost like a child who’s caught red-handed, even i can imagine his expression.

-

 

Day Twelve.

 

The meetings and all stuffs about work end today. But our colleaguess are so kind-hearted, so they promised to take a tour with us around town. It’s already 3pm here when we start to take the train to go to the meeting place.

 

“How’s your husband, Inhye?” Chaewon, my senior who’s become my roommate here asked.

“He’s.. fine, by the way I’m sorry though, Chaewon-ssi, if i often bothered you with my phonecalls everynight..” although i always get Tao’s calls at the balcony in our hotel room, but i still feel a bit guilty.

“Nah, don’t bother! I’ve been there, i know how you feel.. even after i have my daughters, my husband also still so clueless about household activities.”

She’s older than me by 5 years and in my age she already raised her two years old first daughter.

“..and not to mention it’s not even a year of your marriage, right?” she said, teasing me.

“Y-yes..” i smiled at her.

 

We arrived at the said destination and begin to sight-seeing. I found a nice clothing store and i want to buy Tao traditional japanese pajamas. I almost laugh imagining him in one, i guess i have to buy the biggest size considering his tall.

The shop is so crowded, maybe because it’s on summer sale. So i had to queue between loads of people in one of many lines to the cashier. Behind me is Chaewon-ssi who bought Kigurumi (Japanese animal pajamas) for her daughters, also suffocating because the lack of oxygen.

Thank God for the cashier’s agility, she managed to handle two person at a time. After paying for the pajamas, I put my cellphone in the paper bag and went out of the store.

 

Finally we arrived at the hotel on 9 pm after we had dinner. I promised to inform Tao after i arrived at the hotel, so i take the paperbag of Tao’s pajamas to get my cellphone.

 

Wait.

It’s not Tao’s pajamas. It’s a limited edition giraffe kigurumi for kids.

I panicked. I must got the wrong paperbag all along. And how can I get my phone now?

I finally borrowed Chaewon-ssi’s cellphone to try to call mine. Gosh, how can i be so careless?
 

After tried to call 3 times, finally someone picked it up.

 

“Moshimoshi?” i can get a hint of confusion in his tone.

Crap. He’s speaking Japanese.

“Good night, sir.” I replied in English. “I’m very sorry but i believe we accidentally exchanged our bags.”

“oh, Right!” he replied in English, fortunately. “where do you live?”

I mention the name of the hotel i’m staying, “and tomorrow is my last day in Japan before I go back to Korea.”

“I can go to the clothing store before i go to work, but that will be at 7 in the morning, do you mind?”

“Not at all sir, after all it’s my fault for being so careless. This must belong to your child.”

“i also didn’t check it. Okay then, tomorrow.”

“Thank you so much, sir.”

 

I sighed. But i still get insecure about meeting him for myself, he’s a complete stranger after all. So when Chaewon-ssi offered to accompany me, i just accept it. So we call one of our colleague here to make sure of the route to go to the previous clothing store.

I lied my body to the bed, feeling suddenly exhausted over useless things. And then i remember something.

 

“Chaewon-ssi.. i’m sorry but can i borrow your phone to text Tao?”

She smiled and say “Sure! I bet he’ll be worried sick if you don’t tell him. Just call him!”

“But it’ll cost mor-“

“Ssh. Just use it, please.”

“thank you so much, Chaewon-ssi” i really don’t know how to pay for her kindness.

 

So i go to the balcony and call him.

 

“Hello?” he said, with his tired voice.

It’s funny how my exhaustion seems lifted up after i heard his one word.

“Tao? It’s me.”

“HUANG INHYE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? DID YOU NOT CHECK YOUR PHONE?”

“i’m sorry, really..” i take a deep breath and continue “listen, it’s Chaewon-ssi’s phone so i can’t talk too long”

I told him the story of my phone and how i promised him to call him instantly after i met the guy.

“How can you be so careless.” He sighs “Don’t you know i maybe have left a hundred messages in your phone”

“i feel sorry for the guy then, hahaha”

“Double check your belongings now. Starts to pack your luggage, so tomorrow you won’t be in a rush” he said it like he has always do that, but in fact i’m the one who always reminds him to do so.

“Fancy seeing me being the careless one, huh?” i laugh. “You didn’t eat ramen, right?”

“No, i go out with Sehun because you don’t pick up your phone.” He mumbles his words. “Just go home fast.” He sighs.

“you already got company, right? Why don’t you go out with the others?”

“they’re not you”

“oh please....” i roll my eyes, “i gotta go. I’ll call you tomorrow, i promise.”

“you better be. Be careful, if he wants anything weird just kick him in the shin” he told me like a father who warns his daughter.

“okay okay. Night, Tao.”

“Night” he stops for a while “I miss you”

 

I heard the last words only seconds before i pressed the end button. I may be caught up by other things the previous days, but come to think of it, i kinda miss him too..

-

 

Turns out the man is really nice, he has the fatherly vibe that wants to give her daughter a present for her birthday. And luckily, the birthday is still tomorrow so i didn’t ruin his plan. He also shows me and Chaewon a good place to eat and cheap souvenirs shop. After we bid him goodbye, we get to wander around.

I call Tao after that, so he can continue to shower me with his messages. And he’s not kidding, the previous messages he sent me reaches 88 messages. Ck, sometimes i’m amazed of his effort...

 

“say,” Chaewon-ssi says, when we’re having lunch at a sushi restaurant, along with our outnumbered shopping bags. “have you thought about having kids?”

Actually, this kind of question always flustered me.

I clear my throat before i answer, “hm.. yes, maybe.. but isn’t it too soon, you think?”

“still on your honeymoon phase, huh?” she teased me. “you don’t have to overthink that, it’ll just come out naturally in the mean time.”

“how are your husband when he first find out you’re pregnant?”

“Baekhyun? He froze, if you must know.” She laughs remembering the moment. “he just stared at me with his dumb face and wide eyes. And he almost forbid me to go outside when i’m on my last trimester because he’s too afraid. But how can a person just sit around in the house for 3 months? It just like depositing more fats all over my already fattened body.”

I giggle imagining an afraid Tao if someday i’ll get pregnant.

“But all both of your worries, exhaustion, and fear will be vanished after seeing the baby born.” She smiles absent-mindedly “seeing him hold our healthy baby for the first time, it’s like you’ll be so, so, grateful you are blessed with a beautiful family.”

I smile widely with her, “I can only imagine how ecstatic you guys must be.”

“Sure you also will. But no rush, though. Just enjoy what you had”

 

-

 

Finally, Korea.

 

After taking almost 2 hours of flight, i finally get to touch my feet on the ground. Tao must have arrived by now. He told me he’ll get to the airport after he finished his work at 6pm.

Got my luggage, i bid goodbye to Chaewon and the rest of my team, and i go to the arrival section where Tao will be waiting. I spot Baekhyun-ssi and his daughters all ready to fetch her mother. I walk past them because they seem preocupied over some things and don’t see me coming. I begin to lift my head from them to search for Tao, but before i can register anything, i was pushed by some force and lifted slightly from the ground.

 

None other than the husband.

I return his hug as he swing me left and right. I chuckle when he pecks my temple, forehead, nose, and lips.

“Yes, yes, i miss you too.” I answer him with laughter after he releases me.
He hugs me tight once again after that. “Can this be the last time you leave me that long?”

“don’t you feel people staring here? We just need one more camera to show them we’re filming a cheesy movie. Let’s just go home.” I push him slightly and roll my luggage.

He follows me and take all my luggage with him, merrily walks to the parking lot.

 

-

“Huang zitao, what have you done to our house?” i sigh after entering the apartment.

 

It’s a huge mess, his jacket is on the sofa, along with a pillow and a crinkled blanket. There’s unwashed dishes from this morning and the dustbin is already full. His laptop is opened on the coffee table, along with my panda plushie.

“i’ll clean it up later, really!” he looks at me with pleading eyes. “but can we have dinner together noww? I’ll call the delivery guy”

“you hungry?” i said while hang my coat, “i can just cook for you, well, if you still have the ingredients.” I walk to the fridge and find all the ingredients left untouched. I clicked my tongue. Then what has he been eating at home while i’m away?

“No, you’re tired. I’ll just order something.” He kissed my cheek and proceed to make a call.

 

I take my luggage to our bedroom and plan to take a shower and change into something more comfortable. I see a huge pile of dirty clothes, and on the unmade bed, i see one pile of clothes.

 

But it seems familiar, i guess.

As i took it, i began to recognize the blue shirt.

 

Suddenly the door behind me opened and Tao barges in, take the blue shirt from my hand, cheeks turn red.

“Tao” i sent him a glare, “is that my previous..?”

“i was gonna place it to the basket!” he says defensively.

I raise my eyebrows.

“But it’s your last used things.. so..” his voice fade away

 

I am now completely embarrassed of him.

I take the worn shirt and throw it to the basket “you know that’s creepy, right?” i shake my head, thinking i will always be surprised of his behaviour. “and it’s not like i’m not gonna come back, what ‘last used things’..” i say as i open my drawer.

He suddenly hugs me as if he can never get enough, and said “I’m glad now I have the real you here”

 

I hug him back. As greasy and cheesy he is, i still miss him a lot too.

 

“I’m home.”

 


 

i'm sorry for the overly huge amount of cheesiness!

but i just miss Tao so much :' maybe some of you guys knows what i feel about the rumor. huf i hope he'll recover well and come back soon.

 

see you!! :)