For: Contorte

SHINee Secret Santa 2014
Please log in to read the full chapter
Prompt: Lame Dad Pairing: 2min

 

"So what are you doing for Christmas, Taemin?" 

The mushroom headed boy let out a deep sigh before answering, "I have no idea."

The darker skinned boy laughed as they continued to walk down the street home.

"Kai, you don't understand. Living with Minho as my guardian is so uncomfortable. He keeps coming at me with these 'family activities' and they're just too lame. And he keeps trying to get me to call him appa! I can't just switch from hyung to appa; that's awkward!" Taemin shrieked and his classmate continued to just laugh.

"Taemin-ah!" A tall, tan, and handsome young man started running towards the two boys as soon as they walked into the apartment complex.

"Hello Kai, and dear son!" Minho flashed a bright smile at Taemin, waiting for a response.

"Hello, Mr. Choi." Kai bowed his head respectfully.

Minho didn't even look at the boy, still waiting for his son to greet him.

"Hi, hyung." The man instantly pouted.

"Taemin, why don't you call me--"

"Cause it's embarrassing!" The mushroom boy yelled.

Minho pouted, "Well, I just came out to give your friend a small gift..."

"A gift?" Kai's eyes lit up as Minho reached in his back pocket and took out a red box.

"You didn't have to, Mr. Choi." The boy immediatly opened the package, Taemin a worried mess as he waited for his friend's disappointment.

Kai lost the light in his eyes when the gift was revealed to be a package of floss. "You really didn't have to." Taemin mumbled as he walked into the building, away from his embarassing father.

"Thank you, Mr. Choi." Kai bowed, earning a ruffle of his hair from Minho.

"This is my subtle way of saying I don't want to see you in my office. No offense, I like you Kai; but as a denist, I hope for your teeth to be strong and healthy!" The boy bowed again and entered his respective apartment building with his head hanging low.

 

Choi Minho is only 25 years old and already the father of a 14 year-old. Minho was an orphan at the same orphanage as Taemin, and so he and Taemin grew up together, practically like family.

Minho was put in charge of Taemin the day he was brought to the orphanage as an infant. He took care of the baby and treated him like his own flesh and blood. Neither of them were ever adopted, so Minho swore to take in Taemin as his official family when he became an adult. He decided to adopt his little buddy as soon as he became legal and got a successful job.

Last month, Minho became a certified dentist and then hired at a top dental clinic. His new pay was stable and his income qualified him as an eligible guardian. Minho immediately went to the oprhanage and claimed Taemin.

The boy is honestly uncomfortable having to call an old friend his dad. Plus, Minho's lame now that he's a dad and no longer a friend. Minho tries to keep the friendly atmoshphere between them for a healthy family relationship, but he's also responsible for disciplining Taemin, so that's what gets in the way of being a fun parent. 

Nonetheless, Minho is excited about their first Christmas as father and son, while Taemin is dreading the awkwardness to come.

 

*

 

Minho's plan for Christmas Eve was to go to church and enjoy mass as a family. Going to church with family had always been one of the young man's greatest dreams.

The two were dressed in matching ugly Christmas sweaters, ones with a cliché red/green pattern and glittery pompoms everywhere.  Taemin prayed the sweater would just burn away at some point in the service when Minho wasn't paying him attention.

Taemin knelt facing the altar, as instructed by Minho, before sitting on the pew. Minho had to direct him throughout the service since Taemin had never been to mass before. Minho was very much interested in listening to the lecture, but Taemin found it very much boring.

At one point in the service he tried to set his head on the side of the bench and sleep, but Minho was quick to prevent his plan.

"Respect." he whispered, quickly redirecting his attention to the front.

"This is lameee~" Taemin whined, making Minho laugh.

"Pay attention and you might actually enjoy it." Taemin nodded at the suggestion but still just stared into space for the rest of the night.

 

 Taemin had fallen fast asleep during the car ride home. When they arrived at the parking lot, Minho panicked for a moment. He didn't know whether to wake him up or find another way to get him upstairs. In the end he decided to carry the boy on his back. Taemin was piggybacked into the buliding, onto the elevator, and all the way to his bedroom.

Minho gently placed the mushroom headed boy in the center of the bed, then pulling the blanket up over his shoulders. The man knelt down next to the bed and stared at the boy. There was a sparkle in his eyes as he smiled at his 'son'.

"My little angel." He giggled as he gave the boy a small peck on the cheek. "Good night." Taemin hummed in response and turned to the side, finding a better sleeping position. Minho chuckled quietly before leaving to his own room.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter