For: sherleigh

SHINee Secret Santa 2014
Please log in to read the full chapter
Prompt: Insecure Pairing: JongTaeKey

 

"You're a ert," Minho said with finality, closing his eyes. He was lying on the grass on his back, enjoying the warm weather of the beginning of summer. They were at the university campus, waiting for their friends to get out of class.

 

Jonghyun, sitting beside him, looked at him indignantly. "That isn't helping!" 

 

"But it's the truth. What do you want me to say?" Minho replied, without paying much attention to him. Jonghyun had been complaining about his romantic situation for weeks now, and in his opinion, his friend was making things complicated just for the sake of it .

 

"This is so stupid," Jonghyun said. 

 

"It is. First of all, you shouldn't have stayed alone at that bar. Secondly, if you saved someone, fine, but why make out with them if ‘you’re oh so in love’ with your boyfriend?” 

 

"Ugh, you’re still on that?" Jinki asked as he arrived, letting himself fall to the ground beside them. "Just stop seeing the kid and stop making us lie to Kibum already," he said, going through his bag to get a notebook out and check if the answers he had just written on a  test were correct. 

 

"Could you stop implying that I’m lying when I say I love Key?! If I was, I could just break up with him!” Jonghyun said angrily.

 

“Well, I don’t know, Jonghyun. He can be pretty scary and maybe you’re just afraid of what he could do to you,” Minho answered. 

 

“Leave the guy you picked up at the bar and problem solved,” Jinki insisted.

 

“I don’t know. He's one of the most interesting people I've ever met, not to mention hardworking and passionate. And we have talked  a lot. We're basically all day texting. Except when I'm with Key or in class. But I still love Key and I miss him and I want to be with him, but then I also want to be with Taemin and... ugh..." 

 

Jinki and Minho rolled their eyes at the same time, wondering if the only way out was to stop being friends with Jonghyun.

 

Fortunately,  Key approached them at that moment,  making Jonghyun's whining instantly stopped, replaced by a bright, fake smile. 

 

"Hi," Kibum said cheerfully. He sat besides Jonghyun and kissed him briefly on the lips. "Today was my last final. I'm officially free and we have to celebrate." 

 

"I still have two tests tomorrow," Minho said. 

 

"Me too," Jonghyun said apologetically. "You can go celebrate with Jinki, I guess." 

 

“Oh, sorry, I promised my sister I’d take her shopping.”

 

“We’ll go out on Friday,” Jonghyun assured with a smile, setting his hand on his boyfriend’s knee, and getting a very dirty look from his other two friends. 

 

He sighed. He really needed to sort this out, he couldn’t keep going out with two people at the same time. He knew it was the perfect recipe for disaster, and he liked to think about himself like as an honest and open person. But his heart felt like breaking when he asked himself the question.

 

Did he prefer Taemin or Key? 

 

*

 

He had only known Taemin for three months now, whereas he had met Key the year before, and had went out with him for six months. 

 

He recalled the day he had met Key. He had an important test to study for that week, and he had been at the library trying to study, but he just kept getting distracted with everything.  He would stand up every few minutes, looking through all the different windows, or would go drink water, or just stare at the books pretending to be looking for something, and sometimes he would grab one and then leave it on a table at random. At some point he even started putting up little post-its with positive messages on the window beside him. Kibum had been working at the library back then and he had been very annoyed with Jonghyun’s restlessness.

 

“Did you come here to study or play around?” he had asked him, angrily  dropping one of the books Jonghyun had left on a table on the desk where he was sitting how. 

 

Jonghyun had been speechless for a while, gazing at the handsome young man in front of him. 

 

“I-I’m sorry,” he had said, and after that Kibum had rolled his eyes and continued his work. Jonghyun had made many other trips to the library after their first encounter, hoping to find Kibum and ask him out. Key had told him he was crazy and turned him down the first several dozen times, but one day he had agreed to go on a date, and then six weeks later he was pushing Key down onto his couch, kissing him on the lips and asking him if he would be his boyfriend.

 

Taemin had been a very different story. That day he was supposed to meet Key at a bar they both liked very much, but his boyfriend hadn’t been able to get there because he had had to go take care of a friend that had just been dumped by their girlfriend, and by the time he had been able to tell Jonghyun, Jonghyun was already at the bar, so he had decided to stay for a little while and order a drink. He saw Taemin then, on the other side of the room. He thought he was a pretty girl, but then he noticed the shape of his back and wasn’t sure anymore of what he was, and he was too far away to hear his voice. 

 

He had been having fun trying to see if Taemin did anything that revealed his gender (besides being beautiful) so it was entertaining to watch him when he saw another man cornering him, and getting very close. Taemin had been obviously uncomfortable, looking down and trying to get away until he hit the wall behind him, so Jonghyun stood up, approached them, and told the man to back the hell off. 

 

“Thank you,” Taemin said, and Jonghyun smiled, now seeing that he was, in fact, a guy.

 

Taemin had had Jonghyun wrapped around his little finger since then, and it had been simply impossible for him to resist him. That same night they had made out like there was no tomorrow in Jonghyun’s car, and they had only stopped because Taemin had laughed and pulled away when Jonghyun tried to take his jacket off. 

 

He had felt terrible after that, and had almost told Kibum, but he was always too afraid, and then he and Taemin had started texting daily. They didn’t go out that much, and had only seen each other three times after their first encounter, but they had become very good at their long distance relationship and now it was just natural to take his phone out at any second and say t

Please log in to read the full chapter