Case 0: Donghyun II

Once upon a time,

Donghyun unlocked the door to his small office, turning the door knob and was about to step in when he noticed a note on the floor. He bent over to pick up the note that was slipped in through the door gap, wondering why this didn’t go into his letter box instead.

He first noticed the pinkness of it. And then there were childish stickers and a neat, girly handwriting.

“A love note…?” Donghyun spoke before realising he had already deduced what it was.

The man closed the door behind him and placed his leather briefcase on his work table, before taking a seat on his leather office chair to give the note his full attention.

Hello Donghyun-oppa~
Do you remember me? You bought me candies! Thank you, I enjoyed them very much! Please buy me more! I love you~!


Donghyun chuckled lightly at the innocence radiating from the note. It had to be the youngest daughter of the three from the eatery below. He had greeted them when he moved into his office that was situated above their shop just a while ago, and while the two older daughters didn’t pay him a lot of attention, the mother and the youngest daughter did.

(Although he did notice shifting eyes from the oldest daughter, there wasn’t any real reason she would be nervous around him, right?)

The young girl then talked excitedly about how Donghyun was exactly like the Prince Charming she had read about in fairytales, and because she was being all cute and friendly, Donghyun offered to buy her candies. It wasn’t that big of a gesture so he did it although her mother told him he doesn’t have to, and that probably caused this note to be sent.

Smiling softly at the thought of the young and bright girl, he slipped the note under the glass of his work table, then standing up again.

He only recently bought this small space because he didn’t want to inconvenience his parents at home with all the files and stacks of paperwork he had collected over two years as a detective. It was time to get a proper work space, and with the raise in salary he had gotten for his expertise, he could safely afford the space without having to compromise the money he will be bringing home to his parents.

The movers had brought his boxes of files to the place, but left the arranging to him. With a large wooden bookshelf standing proudly behind his work table, Donghyun opened the box marked “1”, knowing it contained his first few cases.

Of which, the first one allowed his transition from a policeman to a detective.

It seemed like only yesterday that he was still a normal policeman being asked to go undercover and then finding the base of the thugs. He remembered being beaten up, but most of all, he remembered the young boy’s desperateness hidden behind his determined actions. He didn’t even tell the other he was a detective, but the young boy helped him escape despite the consequences.

His superiors had noticed his injuries and expressed their concerns, but none of them approved of Donghyun’s plan to arrest the group. The mafia was illegal, yes, but so were the street vendors. To arrest the mafia was to say the street vendors are right, and so both groups have to be arrested.

Donghyun understood the underlying meaning of those words. They were just policemen trying to earn a keep, no one wanted to make a major move like that, one that would definitely shake the country’s stability. Most street vendors were the poor citizens all barely making a living, and who knew what they would do if forced into a corner?

The best way around this was to find something illegal of the mafia’s doings that wasn’t involved with the street vendors. His superiors tried talking him out of investigating anything more, but Donghyun knew he had a reason to go on.

A young boy had betted his life on him, and the least he could do was try.

He eventually found that the mafia also dealt with drug trafficking, and while the police awarded his work with a raise and an offer to work as a detective instead, Donghyun wondered if the length of a month was too long.

Identifying himself to the mother, whose business was now picking up after the arrest of the teen thugs, he cautiously asked about her son.

Her expression immediately dulled, tears welled up as she prepared Donghyun’s order. Donghyun held his breath, and only released it when she said he was recuperating in the hospital after being severely beaten up.

(“Can I…see him?” Donghyun pressed his lips together, knowing he was probably the reason why the young boy ended up in the hospital.

“I only want the most ordinary life for him. Just, an ordinary life.” The mother spoke in tears, and Donghyun didn’t have the heart in him to insist any further.)

More cases came his way after that, and Donghyun wasn’t sure if him becoming a detective caused some sour feelings to form within the police against him. A few times he had come in contact with his ex-colleagues for the new cases had him overhearing that they should just give all the work to the new detective.

Afterall, a detective’s job is to figure out what went wrong, and if Donghyun’s so capable then he should do it all by himself.

The young man tried not to let the negativity get to him, noting that his promotion because of his first case with the mafia was a bigger thing than just an unspoken promise to keep with a young boy he could no longer remember the face of. He concentrated on the various cases instead, and while he was able to help out a lot, Donghyun couldn’t help but realise that meant an even more strained relationship with his ex-colleagues.

Putting the case files neatly in the bookshelf and remembering each and every case that he had tirelessly work on through the two years, Donghyun slowly cleared the boxes and set up his working space like the one he was used to at home.

He then looked at his new office, and while he wasn’t much of a talker, a part of him silently wished this place became livelier.

-

Each member gets two parts to their back story, but it's by timeline so it wouldn't be a member at a time kind.
Donghyun's back story is a bitttt boring I guess, lolz, and a bit OOC for the character I decided so I'm a bit sad, but oh well.

I'm sorry I'm taking so long to the main story, but I like back stories ;~~; 
At least we know how they all came together and gives each character a time to shine.

Thanks to the 16 subscribers and 2 commenters <3!