Case II; Part 2

Once upon a time,

"Minwoo, can you help Hyunseong?"

The youngest member raised his head sharply, more because of the person speaking than so much of the words themselves. Minwoo tried to form as many possibilities as he could in his head - help Hyunseong? With what?

"You're sending cutie pie to Hyunseong-hyung's case?" Jeongmin asked with a mouth full of chips, having the courtesy not to let the crumbs fly out of his mouth. The twins look interested in the conversation, quietly watching the exchange.

"I need someone to help me organise the current content." Donghyun smiled, eyes then shifting onto Minwoo's figure to address him. "Could you help me?"

"That's so mean." Jeongmin sang, still with his mouth full. "There's no way Minwoo can say no to you."

Donghyun looked a bit surprised by those words, to which Minwoo gave an equally confused look. Jeongmin laughed at both their expressions, watching Donghyun panic slightly, only slightly. It was just enough to amuse Jeongmin, so that was fine.

"If it's a burden, I could ask Jeongmin to do it instead." Donghyun hurriedly followed up. "Please don't feel compelled to say yes."

"No, no." Minwoo shook his head quickly, body fidgeting as he tried to find the right words. "I would love to help with organising the content, please don't mind Jeongmin-hyung's words. He...totally made that up."

"Did you read some sarcastic teen fiction?" Jeongmin pouted, finally swallowing the chips from before. "That didn't sound like you."

"All right, Jeongmin." Donghyun cut in, smile in place. "Stop teasing Minwoo."

"So...4:2?" Kwangmin slipped in quietly.

"More like 4.5:1.5." Youngmin remarked thoughtfully. "Donghyun-hyung just needs Minwoo to organise the content. Hyunseong is still the only one talking to Boho."

"Exactly." The leader of the team nodded. "Can you do that for me, Minwoo?"

"Yes, hyung."

-

"You can say it still baffles me how Minwoo came up with this conclusion." Kwangmin said, yawning.

They finally wrapped up the case they had been working on for some time. Kwangmin went through the list of suspects with Jeongmin and Youngmin again, finding a loophole in the alibi that a previously dismissed suspect had.

Needless to say, that was the suspect who framed their initial suspect. He caved in under pressure and confessed to his crimes after being brought in for questioning by a very sharp Kwangmin assisted by Youngmin.

(Jeongmin was banned from the interrogating room when he held out two packets of biscuits.)

"And it baffles me how you decided I should sit out of the interrogation!" Jeongmin exclaimed sulkily. "Minwoo! Did you hear what I just said?"

"Hm?" Minwoo asked distractedly, fingers busily typing finish his sentence. "Sorry, what was it, Jeongmin-hyung? Did you want supper?"

Youngmin laughed at the innocent question, while Kwangmin had this smirk as if having his point proven.

"Whatever." Jeongmin mumbled under his breath, using his legs to push against the floor, launching himself towards Minwoo. "You're not done with the report? If you were done earlier I could have someone on my side against twin power."

"Um." Minwoo hesitated, eyes not leaving the desktop.

"Well, since we're done with our case, I assume it's only natural we all move on to Hyunseong-hyung's case?" Kwangmin shrugged a bit, his question more like a statement than anything else. Youngmin stood up from his seat and headed towards the youngest member as well, the four of them then crowding around the innocent computer. "What do you have, Minwoo?"

"I've gotten the details of the crime scenes described, the profile of the victims..." The youngest words trailed off as Jeongmin took control of the mouse to scroll through the document.

"Wow, you writing some literature analysis or something?" Jeongmin chuckled, highlighting portions of the documents as he scanned the words. "Hm, looks more like a story."

"And?"

Youngmin and Jeongmin turned sharply towards Kwangmin, watching him stare at the back of Minwoo's head. "Minwoo, there's something bugging you about this, too?"

"Donghyun-hyung said the more information the better..."

"And?"

Kwangmin's tone was more gentle than Youngmin expected it to be. Maybe Minwoo had proven himself to Kwangmin.

"I just…wanted to collect the full descriptions of the dreams our client always has before a murder." Minwoo said quietly, shaking his head. "No, it's okay..."

"What's stopping you?" Kwangmin frowned ever so slightly. Youngmin might have missed the subtle change if he wasn't so intent on gauging his twin's opinion of Minwoo.

Minwoo didn't turn his head to address Kwangmin.

Youngmin paused in his thinking, realising Minwoo was expressing symptoms of anxiety. He saw Kwangmin open his mouth, ready to repeat his question-

Jeongmin raised his eyebrow at the twins when Youngmin suddenly held Kwangmin's arm, the two of them staring at each other as if trying to send a telepathic message. “Twin power~!”

Kwangmin looked weirdly at Youngmin, and Youngmin gave him a stern stare. The sudden silence in the office was alarming, but Minwoo continued staring at the screen.

Jeongmin whistled nonchalantly, then hooking each of his arms with one of the twins’ on each side, dragging them out of the office.

-

“Do the both of you know something?” Kwangmin frowned, leaning against the wall right outside their office.

“I’m rather curious to hear what Youngminnie thinks.” Jeongmin shrugged with a light smile.

Youngmin paused, wondering why Jeongmin would play mind games with them but decided he wasn’t one to talk. He had been unconsciously judging them by their actions again and again, and it was only fair for Jeongmin to play the same game. “Minwoo’s intentionally hiding something. I just didn’t want you to be rude.”

“…rude.” Kwangmin repeated. “Rude. But doesn’t Minwoo usually need-”

“Probing, yes. Usually he wouldn’t say anything until you probe and that’s why we keep probing again and again but no, not this time.” Youngmin looked a bit agitated, and Kwangmin flinch at his twin’s attitude. “He’ll break.”

“…and why?” Jeongmin spoke quietly, still wearing a small smile amidst the tension. “Why would he break?”

“…if I’m not wrong.”

“You’re not.”

Youngmin stared into Jeongmin’s eyes. What he was going to say wasn’t the best thing he could manage, but Jeongmin only smiled encouragingly.

“Hyunseong-hyung.”

-

“What’s with this atmosphere?” Donghyun smiled lightly, scanning the room filled with serious faces. He watched the twins lower their heads when they met his eyes, and Jeongmin who was munching on his snacks a bit more quietly than usual, smile also less natural.

Donghyun realised Minwoo hadn’t jumped on his feet to greet him yet, the furious typing from the youngest member now so much louder than Donghyun remembered it to be. Was it because he always heard it in contrast with Jeongmin’s snacking, or was it actually louder?

He walked towards Minwoo, hand then slowly lowered to the youngest’s shoulder. Minwoo almost jumped out of his seat, and Donghyun could almost hear the palpitating heart from the shock he had caused. “I’m sorry, Minwoo. Are you alright?”

“Good morning!” Minwoo said quickly, hurriedly bowing his greetings. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you come in!”

“Minwoo.” Donghyun spoke clearly but slowly, his tone easily soothing anyone’s nerves. He noticed the twins slowly raising their heads to watch the exchange, but his eyes never left the fidgeting member of his team. “Is there something wrong?”

Minwoo bit his lower lip, his eyes watery and that made Donghyun’s face twitch slightly.

“…I’m a bit tired.” Minwoo managed with a small voice. “C-Can I take a day off?”

“…” Donghyun let his hand that was still on Minwoo’s shoulder fall back to his side. “Yes, please rest well.”

-

Kwangmin sighed as he read through the documents for the thousandth time. Donghyun decided that since he had let Kwangmin lead a case, Hyunseong’s should be left in their hands too. He was sitting this one out, again.

The fact that Minwoo took an extended leave didn’t help the office’s atmosphere. Kwangmin looked at the gloomy Jeongmin and wondered if he wanted to know, wanted to ask.

Loud footsteps soon neared their office, and the four heads raised to look at the newcomer.

“We…” Hyunseong had this conflicted expression, but it quickly disappeared. “We have the fourth.”

“When?” Kwangmin quickly asked, watching Hyunseong’s eyes leave Donghyun for him.

“Today morning.” Hyunseong reported, turning back to Donghyun. “Hyung, the scene-”

“Take Kwangmin with you.”

“But…”

“I’m sorry, to be completely honest, I don’t think I can give this case the respect it deserves.” Donghyun apologised, eyes finally meeting Hyunseong’s. He wore a bitter smile, and noticed everyone’s eyes on him. “I’m thinking of paying Minwoo a visit.”

“…what happened to him?”

“Whatever happened to him, it affected him bad.” Donghyun sighed, standing up from his seat reluctantly. “And that affects Jeongmin, and then the twins, and in the time that you haven’t been in this office, it’s starting to feel like a grave.”

Everyone flinched at the sudden honest remark.

“I’m sorry, Hyunseong. Please take Kwangmin with you.”

-

“It’s okay, it’s okay.” He said in a hushed voice, wrapping his arms around the smaller figure. “Don’t worry about it at all. I’m here.”

“I-I’m scared.” A voice less than a whisper, trembling so violently.


-

“How’s it?” Youngmin tried a smile, speaking quietly.

Jeongmin was sleeping soundly in his seat, a silent protest to not go home, as if dreading what awaited him back there.

“I’ll tell you the facts.” Kwangmin whispered. “First.”

“And then your deductions?”

Kwangmin nodded, then pulling out a fresh piece of paper to minimise his spoken words in consideration for the sleeping detective.

Youngmin leaned forward as he watched Kwangmin draw the scene and write down all that he saw.

“…that’s brutal.” Youngmin frowned. “The other deaths weren’t as brutal.”

Kwangmin nodded, shivering slightly when he saw the corpse with a lot of words cut into her face, arms and legs. He continued scribbling, nodding along to Youngmin’s quiet remarks from time to time.

The victim’s legs were only 10 cm off ground. If she tried, she could definitely have gotten out of the rope. The rope is also thinner than the strangle marks around her neck.

There was also a text from our client to the victim asking for a meet-up. Apparently, that was how she found out of the scene, alongside Hyunseong-hyung. She felt insecure going alone and brought him along, said Hyunseong-hyung.

Suspicious things found on the crime scene includes the hair of our client scattered about the scene and our client’s fingerprints on a chair, although Hyunseong-hyung immediately called for the police when they noticed the body. There shouldn’t be a chance for her to grab a seat if she was so traumatised by the death of an acquaintance.

“It’s pretty much spelt out…isn’t it?” Youngmin sighed softly.

“All the evidences points against her.” Kwangmin shrugs slightly.

“This is bad though.” Youngmin took in a deep breath. “Her mental state is becoming less and less stable.”

“Explain.” Kwangmin quickly sat upright, listening intently.

“We all know how well-planned the first murder was. It was made to look like a suicide, and we almost instantly thought it was done by a man because how can a lady raise a body of that weight to that height?” Youngmin recounted, pulling out a few documents they have been reviewing for the past few days. “But the behaviour of the murderer became more erratic as the case progressed with more clues hinting to our suspect.”

“And that she’s the only one that stands in the middle of all the victims. No one else knows the four victims who lived such different lives.” Kwangmin nodded thoughtfully. “Now…”

The twins exchanged glances, taking in a deep breath.

“How should we convince the rest?”

-

“No, it can’t be her.”

Kwangmin pressed his lips together. It pained him to see this side of the man he respected. Youngmin did say, expectations are the worst weapons we have towards people we love, people we respect. As he watched Hyunseong fall back against the wall behind him, he wished Hyunseong could have proven him wrong instead.

“You…have been used.” Kwangmin bit his lower lip, eyes wandering over to Youngmin’s figure as if finding some strength.

“No, no.” Hyunseong shook his head, frown etched so deeply between his eyebrows. “Is this some silly deduction Minwoo came up with?”

“I just told you about the evidences we found in the last-”

“Is this what you said to him?” Youngmin cut in sharply. “Does she mean so much to you?”

“He was going on about the dreams and making me ask her- it doesn’t make sense, he was being-” The older man stopped himself short, facial muscles slowly losing strength. “Did….did she really…?”

“If it helps you feel any better, Youngmin says she’s probably not mentally stable.” Kwangmin sighed, giving Hyunseong’s shoulders a firm squeeze.  “We did a bit of research on our own, but apparently her mother kept a really close eye on her, so much that her name reflects it. Boho, literally protection. Her mother wanted to protect her from everything that could possibly harm her.”

“This sort of shelter gave her a very weak mental that of the times she was not within her mother’s radar, all that hits her would hit her hard.” Youngmin continued, fishing out a small piece of paper. “Donghyun-hyung spoke to Boho three hours ago, after managing to talk Minwoo into telling him what was so obviously bothering him.”

All her dreams reflect the incidents that happened to her. It was her subconscious working.

The first was a knife to the victim’s back. That senior that died had backstabbed her.

The second was a man screaming till his face turned red. That man almost her.

The third was a man drowning. That acquaintance from the same tuition centre took her float away as a joke.

The fourth was words tattooed on the victim’s skin. It overlapped with the actual victim because her mental state was already in pieces. The victim had spread rumours about her.


“No, no, it doesn’t make sense. Why would she murder them, and why now? These things didn’t happen all at once, didn’t happen-”

“Her mother died. Five days before she came to us.” Kwangmin held out an obituary from a newspaper with its date highlighted. “It seems like the traumas never left her, but after her mother died, there’s no one to stop her from murdering.”

“But she-” Hyunseong winced, shaking as he tried to find some excuse, any excuse, just- “How- how did she kill them?”

“…must we?” Kwangmin took in a deep breath, trying a smile despite the circumstances. “Her hair.”

-

“I’m sorry.” Hyunseong hung his head low.

The case was left to the criminal court judge as they determine the criminal’s mental state and decide on her sentence. Boho was hysterical when being torn away from Hyunseong, as if losing a kin once more. While Hyunseong could barely bear to watch the lady being handcuffed and escorted away, the logical side of him slowly returned.

He apologised profusely, especially to Minwoo who he so coldly brushed away when the youngest asked for details. Hyunseong had lashed out on the younger man at the peak of his emotions, and Minwoo didn’t dare pursue the issue further, not wanting to disrespect Hyunseong’s decision but unable to deal with his inner instincts either.

"It's okay." Donghyun gave Hyunseong's shoulders a firm squeeze, smiling softly. "Everyone gets blinded by their emotions sometimes.”

Donghyun watched Hyunseong’s expression and how it didn’t change. He thought for a bit, then opening his mouth again. “The situation this time wasn't as optimistic, but the last time I lost myself, I got promoted into a detective."

Hyunseong pressed his lips together, and knew he probably shouldn't be imposing on Donghyun's kindness to make himself feel better. He may just be telling a white lie to help Hyunseong feel better about himself, and asking about it will only tear the lie apart. "…what happened then?"

Donghyun frowned subtly at the question, and Hyunseong deflated as if anticipating the reaction. The older man didn't register his dejected look, only sighing softly. "Well, maybe not that optimistic. I almost got a little boy killed just to eradicate a gang."

A loud sound made the two lose their focus on the conversation, turning to the source of distraction. Minwoo had his eyes widened, and it seemed like he had let a book fall from between his fingers.

"Sorry, did that surprise you?" Donghyun turned to Minwoo, the rest all wondering when they last saw Minwoo drop a book. It wasn't like the information was that shocking either, making the youngest's reaction very queer. And they thought he was all better already, especially how Jeongmin was happy again.

"N-No." Minwoo bended over, reaching for his book so he wouldn't let his expression show. "W-What was the little boy like?"

"Unfortunately, I don't remember." Donghyun tried a smile, shrugging lightly. "Oh, but at the shop where we met you- that's his mother's shop. I can only suppose he's well."

"I...I guess he's well."

-

“What’s bothering you?” Jeongmin sang, poking Youngmin at his ribs. “Resident mind reader?”

“…our former client.”

Hyunseong raised his head sharply as if guilty, then pressing his lips together when Youngmin gave him a small smile as if reassuring.

“What about her?” Kwangmin asked, eyes elsewhere as he rearranged his desk a bit after two complicated cases. “It’s not like you to suddenly bring up something like that. Aren’t we all over that issue?”

“I suddenly had this feeling that she reminds me of someone. Someone sheltered, and every setback will cause her so much trauma.” Youngmin scratched his head, shrugging. “You’re right, my bad. We should move on.”

“Minwoo, it’s really okay.” Donghyun laughed, opening the door to the office from the outside. “It’s only fair that I carry half of the take-outs, why are you so insistent on carrying them all?”

“B-But…”

The four heads turned to each other as if on cue, Youngmin then mentally face-palming himself for missing the blind spot.

-

Decided to update this quickly, since I actually meant for it to be a one shot.
Thanks for the love from the 2 commenters ^^
As said, I'm rather sad it turned out so rushed, but I didn't have anything substantial to add either ;~~~;
I'll try coming up with something better the next time @_@