Case 0: Youngmin II

Once upon a time,

They didn't have any reason to meet again, until six months later.

“Youngmin.” Kwangmin approached with a cautious smile, a mug of coffee in hand for the older twin currently stressed out of his wits. Their parents were already deep in sleep, while the two of them were up trying to finish their own work that they couldn't help but bring home. Kwangmin was more than willing, but Youngmin didn't seem half as happy to see the piling work. “Have a drink.”

“Thanks.” Youngmin reminded himself to not snap at Kwangmin, only taking the coffee and drinking it in hopes of it giving him some inspiration for the files before him.

“Any chance of taking a break?” Kwangmin asked, nervously fiddling with a piece of A4 paper while taking a seat beside his brother.

Youngmin gave the paper in Kwangmin's hand a glance, sighing. “Well then, you look at my work.”

Kwangmin chuckled softly, not wanting to trigger anything in his brother, but finding the idea of them exchanging work when their job scope is so different pretty funny. He glanced through the statistics, and could understand why the dark circles under his brother's eyes seem to keep growing.

“This font .” Kwangmin commented, while Youngmin only gave a small smile in response to. “Who did the compiling? It's all messy.”

“Some new hire.” Youngmin mumbled, covering his mouth as he yawned. “Talking about compiling, who did this report? Doesn't sound like your classy superior or the nerdy guy you talked about before. And I’m a hundred percent sure it isn’t you.”

“Oh, new guy in the department, Jeongmin-hyung. And Hyunseong-hyung's not nerdy, he's just good with maths. He's starting to do research too though, seems quite interested in proper evidences in addition to his specialisation. Jeongmin's still searching for what he might be good at, so he offered to do all the small errands.” Kwangmin smiled at he thought about the said guy. “Very friendly person, the department was always a bit serious before but he makes things a bit more fun with slight chatter here and there. He's a pretty good worker too, so we all appreciate the new atmosphere.”

“That classy superior found him?” Youngmin raised his eyebrows, vaguely remembering the details of their meeting and how he was invited to be a detective. “So I assume he's good with psychology?”

“Oh no. Jeongmin's more of a fact person too.” Kwangmin shook his head, then grinning at the realisation that his twin hadn’t forgotten the offer. “Donghyun-hyung still wants you in, he said it would be nice if you could offer your opinion on this so he told Jeongmin-hyung to collate what we currently have. Jeongmin-hyung was brought in because although he had all the qualifications he needed to be a policeman, he can't do street patrol because he has that unserious atmosphere around him. They said no one would take him seriously. He was then allocated to the headquarters as an office policeman, but he didn't like desk jobs either. Out of their wits, the police asked Donghyun-hyung if he could take him in. Pretty funny.”

“I thought you said you guys weren't on good terms with the police?” Youngmin frowned, wondering how they could switch people around so easily. Even Kwangmin entered the team after being allocated to a neighbourhood police post.

“Ah, they don't like us. But Donghyun-hyung's too nice to hold a grudge. They think we mess up their jobs and probably just sent me and Jeongmin-hyung over to get rid of us. You could say we both aren't very policemen material.” Kwangmin shrugged. “Here, this row doesn't add up, and this value indicates a problem in the cost side. Have someone get you the cost breakdown and sieve out unnecessary costs. If you're lucky, you might uncover a case of embezzlement.”

“Kwangmin.” Youngmin gave his twin a deadpanned look, appreciating the work but not the joke. “Don't speak of embezzlement like it's a game. You work with the law, you know how serious it is.”

“But I'm serious.” Kwangmin pouted, circling a few more values on other pieces of paper. “These are the records for the past 5 years, it's pretty stable and recently spiked without any change in policies. Your call.”

“...” Youngmin pressed his lips together. Great, if his brother was right then it makes his job even more difficult. Who was he going against now? Some senior manager or something? As if his barking manager wasn’t enough. “Anyway, I've finished looking at your case. You guys are even doing minor cases like that now?”

“Well, the police didn't want to deal with it. It's fine though, better than not having anything to do. We need to get paid, you know.” Kwangmin stated matter-of-factly, perking up immediately after. “You say minor. You figured out the problem?”

“Isn't this just a case of a depressed youngster? I mean, of course, with all the evidences, people would usually think it was a serial killer or something. But other than the gory pictures posted by said “serial killer” and a bunch of death threats, there are no actual cases of dead people reported relating to this case. Only the evidences left by serial killer at the “crime scenes”. We don't know what he did to the “bodies”, and that means there's a high possibility there isn't even any. The problem is tracking this disturbed youth down and sending him for counselling.” Youngmin paused. “Could the nerd guy in your team figure out the probabilities of each locations?”

“No, it was all over the place. Hyunseong-hyung wondered if he predicted his predictions.” Kwangmin replied as he thought back. “Why?”

“Well then, that further proves the point he's just a kid. Doesn't plan much and just wants to protest again society.” Youngmin smiled softly. “Don't give too much credit to your opponent. The fact that he's using the Internet instead of having breaking news reported all over national television shows a lot.”

Kwangmin grinned, pulling out a voice recorder Youngmin never noticed the younger holding. “I'm gonna credit this to you.”

“...” Youngmin scrunched up his face at the retreating younger twin, knowing it was too late to even protest. He shook his head, then turning back to his work.

A small smile formed, his grip about the stack of confidential statistics slightly loosening.

He hoped the time spent on getting a Psychology major pays off.

-

Shoutout to my 30 lovely subscribers and the 4 commenters <3