Case 0.5

Once upon a time,

The five brought Minwoo along on their case even though they've already learned of the book's content and came to a conclusion as to where they could find the culprit with Hyunseong’s calculations. They had stayed over at a local hotel because they were expecting the next crime to happen during the early hours, and before meeting Minwoo again at 5 in the morning, Donghyun called for a meeting in his single room.

“I agree.” Jeongmin raised his hand, while the four turned to him and blinked. “What? Weren't you going to ask “What are your opinions on the invitation of Minwoo into our team?”? Well, I agree. By the way, he's not a minor no matter how much he looks like one. He's the same age as twin power!”

“We're not twin power.” The twins replied dryly.

“Twin power!” Jeongmin repeated with a cheeky grin.

“Right.” Donghyun smiled. “How about the rest?”

“I guess we could make space for one more in our office, but that means Jeongmin-hyung would have to clear his belongings.” Youngmin nodded. “I agree.”

“I suggested it.” Hyunseong nodded as well.

“Whether or not I want him in doesn't matter then.” Kwangmin shrugged, while his twin gave him a knock on the head. “Okay! I agree, obviously. That memory is freaky.”

“So well, our new cutie pie is unemployed, pretty sure he's one of us then.” Jeongmin clapped his hands, then standing up, ready to head for the scene.

“We ever had an old cutie pie?” Kwangmin raised his eyebrows, sceptical look mirrored by his brother.

“Yep! You're looking right at him!” Jeongmin grinned with a peace sign held next to his face. “So cute you wanna die, yeah?”

Hyunseong and Donghyun chuckled at Jeongmin's antics, amazed at the younger's vigour at half past four in the morning.

“Not sure about the cute part, but I kind of really want to die right now.” Youngmin faked a vomiting action, while Kwangmin completed the act with a soothing pat on Youngmin's back. “Anyway, we don't want to keep him waiting, so let's go!”

Jeongmin blew Youngmin a kiss, ignoring the younger man’s look of disgust. Skipping forward to take the lead, Jeongmin then started singing to some pop song while Donghyun locked his hotel door after everyone exited. Time to welcome a new member on board.

-

“I would really like to go about this the formal way.” Donghyun chuckled sheepishly, hand reaching for the back of his head after Jeongmin blabbered out the whole situation to Minwoo. “I’m really sorry I don’t have the materials with me because I wasn’t expecting this situation. Teaches me to be better prepared, I guess.”

The man who was not used to such early hours, especially after being spoilt rotten by his mother, tried stifling his yawn when he realised the chance of his lifetime just landed itself on him. “W-What do you mean…?”

“Donghyun-hyung doesn’t want you to think we are some shady organisation. We have job contracts, but he doesn’t have it with him because we’re on a case.” Hyunseong kindly supplied, amiable smile in place.

“No.” Youngmin cut in, watching Minwoo’s blank expression. “I think he wasn’t expecting it.”

“Lighten up, cutie pie! If you don’t want the job you can just reject us, we’re cool people like that.” Jeongmin shrugged, giving Minwoo’s back a rough pat. The younger man lost his balance a bit, and Kwangmin instinctively caught him before he could fall. “Oops?”

“Though Jeongmin-hyung was all confident that you’d take up the job.” Kwangmin chuckled, helping Minwoo get back on his feet again.

“Guys.” Donghyun smiled, five pairs of eyes focused on him instantly. “Give him some time to think. It was a sudden offer-“

“I’ll take it!” Minwoo squeaked, eyes shut tight as if afraid for some impact to hit him. He didn’t hear a thing, and slowly opened his eyes to see all of them stare at him. Face turning red from embarrassment, he lowered his tone and repeated. It was embarrassing, but he didn’t want this chance to just pass him by. “I’ll…take it.”

“TOLD YA SO!” Jeongmin cheered loudly, ignoring the fact it was 5 in the morning and they were actually waiting to ambush the criminal.

-

Minwoo blinked, watching the suspect drop the bottle of spray paint, backing towards the vandalised wall. He felt the five detectives behind him pause, before Jeongmin came bouncing out.

“Hello, what's your name?”

“Myungsoo.” Minwoo narrowed his eyes, approaching the little boy and Jeongmin. “Were you behind this all?”

“Hyung...” Myungsoo bit his lower lip and managed to speak despite his teary eyes, running towards Minwoo and then grabbing his leg like it was his lifeline. “Did these scary people come to catch me?”

Minwoo looked at the rest who stared at him as if he was an accomplice (and Jeongmin who was pointing at himself as if in disbelief that he was scary, “No, seriously, me?!”). He sighed, stopping himself when Donghyun signalled for the rest to retreat.

(Jeongmin reluctantly walked back.)

“Hey, Myungsoo, isn't it?” Donghyun asked, squatting to match the boy's eye level. “Is there a reason why you went around spraying paint?”

“The security here .” Myungsoo pouted, grip still strong around Minwoo's leg. “I thought the aunties and uncles would start to bother to place security cameras for their shop but none bothered.”

“That's why you borrowed my “Catch me if you can” book!” Minwoo stood akimbo, shaking his head disapprovingly. This neighbourhood wasn’t even that big, he should have been less careless.

“B-but, mom said she met a thief when she was returning from the market one day. She managed to point him out but the police can't catch him because there's no evidence!” Myungsoo cried, tugging Minwoo as if trying to get someone on his side. “Hyung, you know how lousy the police in this district are. No one cares after the main gang around here disappeared.”

“They didn't disappear, they were captured by this hyung over here.” Minwoo pointed at Donghyun, watching Myungsoo widen his eyes at the realisation.

“So this is the guy who saved-”

“Myungsoo! You're still not getting away scot-free!” Minwoo cut in, a quite apparent blush that Jeongmin thought he saw creeping up his face.

(Hmmm...)

“Well, I guess.” Myungsoo pouted sadly, but Donghyun straightened himself with a soft smile.

“If that is all, we could probably reach a compromise.” Donghyun smiled, turning to the rest. “Let's gather all the shopkeepers and his mom. I'm sure the community would understand his intentions.”

Myungsoo smiled brightly, reaching to tug Minwoo's shirt. The older boy then bended down, offering his ears.

“He's as kind as you said.”

Minwoo tried fighting the smile that kept tugging on the ends of his lips.

-

“Well, this is our office.” Hyunseong introduced, unlocking the door for them all. “We each have a spare key, so I’ll be making yours later in the day.”

“Thank you.” Minwoo bowed quickly, then following after Youngmin’s footsteps.

The previous case was nicely wrapped up, and it was now time to settle their internal affairs. The other three of the team were on the first floor buying some drinks, and Hyunseong was tasked to introduce the office in the meantime to their newcomer.

“Although, it does seem that the office is a bit out of the way from your house. It’s an hour by public transport.” Youngmin remarked thoughtfully, his hand reaching for the back of his neck as he thought of solutions to the problem. “Maybe you want to live at our place? I can share Kwangmin’s room.”

“It’s okay!” Minwoo hurriedly raised both hands, trying his best not to be a hindrance. “I’m sure I could work something out.”

“-so I was saying, it’s not that I didn’t realise it before, but that I rarely get a bird’s eye view, ya know.”

Hyunseong cracked a smile, the obnoxiously loud and cheery voice indicating the presence of a certain member of their team.

“Hey, we back!” Jeongmin waved, carrying a drink in each hand while sipping the one in his right. “Twin number 1, don’t you think Donghyun-hyung has too much white hair?”

Youngmin laughed at the random question, trying to remember the top of their leader’s head without craning his neck to look at it. Wouldn’t be very polite, would it?

“I saw it when we were climbing the stairs and then we were talking so I turned back and I was like ‘WOAH, that’s a whole lot of stress on your head.’ and Kwangmin was going like ’it’s been there for a while’, and I’m like ‘well, sorry for not breathing the air up there.’ so maybe twin number 1 noticed it too.” Jeongmin ranted, passing Hyunseong’s drink over.

Kwangmin snickered as he gave Youngmin his coffee, while Minwoo thanked Donghyun profusely as he took a cup of iced lemon tea.

“Maybe I should do something about it.” Donghyun laughed sheepishly, messing up his hair slightly. “It’s getting a bit long too.”

“How about you guys? What were you talking about?” Kwangmin nudged his twin.

“Minwoo lives a bit far from here, so I’m not sure how he intends to commute to work every day.” Youngmin repeated, shrugging slightly. “I offered our place but he said he could work something out.”

“I know of a place for rent!” Jeongmin raised his hand, sneaky grin in place. “Donghyun-hyung was renting out a place…”

Minwoo’s head raised sharply with widened eyes.

The shortest member cackled when Donghyun gave him a questioning look, then waving his arms before himself defensively. “Oops, slip of tongue. I’m renting out a place ‘cause my leeching sister finally moved out.”

“Well, if it’s a rent, you don’t have any reason to refuse, right?” Hyunseong smiled softly, finding Minwoo breathing a sigh of relief a bit of a queer sight.

“I’m not charging you cheap!” Jeongmin exclaimed. “I have a lot, a lot of laundry overdue and I need to be fed five times a day.”

“He’s not your housekeeper.” Donghyun shook his head disapprovingly, but smiled knowing Jeongmin was just being Jeongmin. “Jeongmin lives pretty near here, so if you could take up his rent, it’d be really convenient for you.”

“Convenient, in terms of location.” Kwangmin smirked.

“I’m not so sure about daily routine.” Youngmin shrugged, stifling a laugh.

“Meh.” The  implicit meaning was clear to the intended recipient, who folded his arms with a sulky expression. “Some twin power.”

-

Sorry this took a bit long, and the next might take a bit longer.
I want to make each official official case a one shot that can be read separately so it requires a bit of time ><
There will be official and official official cases. Official official cases get roman numerals and official cases get decimals. 

Thanks to the 43 subscribers and 3 commenters!
As I've said, Donghyun turning blonde was just a small joke to me lolz. I really wanted to write them being shocked by him bleaching it, but it felt more like a filler so I just ignored it.
Waitttt, I could just write it below here :

-

Donghyun scratched his head. He sure went through a lot of pain trying to bleach his hair, but at least now the white wouldn't look out of place. 

"WOW. EINSTEIN." Jeongmin widened his eyes, amazed at transformation. “That looks good on you, hyung!”

Minwoo almost dropped his book, the perfect image of Donghyun now starting to surface some cracks. Hyunseong wasn’t sure how to go about with the first word he should be saying, but Youngmin and Kwangmin hurriedly went closer to look at Donghyun’s new image.

“It looks good!” Youngmin gave a thumbs-up.

“It looked shocking at first but hey, at least when we go out on the streets no one would think we’re a team of detectives.” Kwangmin laughed, while Donghyun smiled sheepishly at the attention.

“If you can’t beat them, join them.” Donghyun chuckled, heading to his seat. “I figured the white wouldn’t go away, so might as well dye it all white.”

“Wow.” Hyunseong managed, then laughing at his own incoherency. “Give me some time, but it’s a nice change.”

“So.” Jeongmin crept up on the youngest member, grin almost resembling one of the Cheshire Cat’s. “Minwoo doesn’t like it?”

“I-I-It’s…” Minwoo stuttered, watching Donghyun’s expectant look and dying a little inside. “It’s white.”

The five laughed at his words, then moving on to the next topic.