Case 0: Jeongmin II

Once upon a time,

It was just a small prank he decided to play.

“Sorry, but I was given this address and I kind of wanted to confirm if I am at the right place.” A man came up to Jeongmin with a written address, then looking at him with eyes so sincere.

So tempting, so enticing.

“Oh, I’m sorry but you’ve got the wrong address.” Jeongmin shook his head with a subtle frown, then reading the address again. “Let’s see…if I’m not wrong…”

The stranger nodded and got ready to pen down the instructions Jeongmin has for him.

“First, you’ll go down this street. You should see a convenience store at the end, and then you turn left.” Jeongmin started with a kind smile, hand gesturing to the street they were on. “After turning left, you’ll have to walk a little more forward and you’ll notice a bus stop. You follow it and turn the corner, and then continue on.”

“Thank you so much for your detailed instructions!” The man thanked as he penned down every word Jeongmin uttered.

“No problem! Always here to help!” Jeongmin smiled brightly, then making more gestures in the air. “So, in no time, you should be able to see a small alley. Walk through the alley and then turn right. There’ll be a small family restaurant, and then all you’ll have to do is go to the second storey. The staircase should be on the left of the restaurant.”

“Right, thank you so much!” The man profusely said his thanks, and then went on his way.

Jeongmin clapped his hands in delight. Feels so good to help a man in need!

-

“…”

“Why are you so late?” Kwangmin frowned, looking at the newcomer as he sorted out a few of his belongings. “You said you could find your way and asked me to go ahead. Don’t tell me you got lost.”

“…”

“It’s okay, we’re not that particular.” Donghyun smiled warmly, offering his hand.

“Been wanting to see you when I heard about you.” Hyunseong smiled as well, waiting for the newcomer to take Donghyun’s hand before he offered his own. He paused, blinking when he realised the newcomer wasn’t paying attention to either of them.

“Oh, you found your way?” Jeongmin blinked prettily, then waving. “I’m glad my instructions were clear!”

Donghyun retrieved his hand and placed it over his mouth instead, trying to muffle his laughter. It probably was the first time anyone saw Donghyun so ungraceful, although he had the manners to cover his mouth.  Maybe it was the way his whole body was trembling, body bent forward to convey his utmost amusement at the situation?

“…Jeongmin-hyung.” Kwangmin frowned as he stared at the said man, then at their leader. He didn’t have the speed Donghyun had, but he could grasp the atmosphere as well. “You….didn’t make my brother go a big round around the neighbourhood.”

“I didn’t!” Jeongmin raised his hands, eyes widened as if to prove his innocence. “Just a small rectangle, you know, introduce him to our neighbourhood.”

Hyunseong burst out into small fits of giggles, probably trying to be conscious of the newcomer’s stoic glare on the shortest member of the team.

“I’m so sorry, Youngmin.” Donghyun coughed, fixing his posture as he extended his hand again. “We shouldn’t have told him you were Kwangmin’s twin brother, but welcome to the team.”

Youngmin sighed, then hurrying to take Donghyun’s hand. He only realised how rude he was when his annoyance cleared. “Thank you.”

“It totally planted ideas into his head, didn’t it?” Hyunseong laughed and was addressing Donghyun more than anyone else, but his smile and hand were both directed to Youngmin. “I’m Hyunseong, and you can call me hyung as Kwangmin already does.”

Youngmin took it and returned a smile of his own, though it was a more awkward one, probably because he was the newest member of them all. He might have heard many stories, but seeing them in person helps form a better identity.

For example, Kwangmin said Jeongmin wasn’t police material and that he makes detective work a little more fun. Watching the culprit that made him go one round around the neighbourhood even though he was just a staircase away from his destination…it definitely solidified his impression.

“Hey, I’m awfully sorry. Jeongmin’s the name, but don’t name your voodoo dolls that.” Jeongmin tried his best apologetic look, then extending both arms out. He stepped forward and then hugged the silent man tight, before releasing the man and then bouncing away. “But it was too fun to miss out on a chance like this! And you were the one who came up to me!”

Youngmin finally smiled softly, eyes naturally going to his twin. Kwangmin smiled with a small nod, then tilting his head slightly to generally gesture at the whole office.

This was what Kwangmin so often talked about. This was now what he would say in response to his twin.

(Jeongmin observed them from afar and wondered out loud if this was the legendary “twin telepathy”.)

(Hyunseong nudged him, and they looked at each other before laughing.)

-

“Want chips?” Jeongmin offered with his arms stretched forward, frowning slightly when he realised he barely reached Youngmin’s desk. “Brain rations.”

“I’m quite sure we don’t have a shortage of snacks.” Kwangmin piped in, reaching for some chips the older man offered as he leaned into Youngmin’s space.

Jeongmin was seated next to Hyunseong and Youngmin next to Kwangmin, because Donghyun thought Youngmin would prefer having his twin teach him the ropes. In some sense, they were also arranged in order of when they joined the team.

“Thanks.” Youngmin thanked simply, and bit back a smile as Jeongmin stared at his arm wordlessly for a second longer. His arm was slightly bent, as was Kwangmin’s, almost bragging that they didn’t need to straighten their arm to reach across their desks.

“Sure.” Jeongmin smiled brightly, then withdrawing his hand to offer some to his desk neighbour this time. “Hyunseong-hyung?”

“I’m on a diet.” Hyunseong joked quickly, then going back to concentrate on the documents before him.

Jeongmin then hummed softly, knowing Donghyun doesn’t have a preference for snacks. It wouldn’t hurt Jeongmin to offer, but the man swirling round in his swivel chair didn’t like to accept polite rejections. They just weren’t fun enough. Hyunseong makes bad jokes, but he tries. Donghyun just smiles kindly and says “No, but thank you very much.” as if he was some ambassador of goodwill.

He should probably try to think of something fun to do. It was nice seeing Donghyun be so careless in his actions the day Youngmin joined them. Maybe he should prank their leader…

Jeongmin continued munching noisily on his chips as he thought of good pranks, grinning when Youngmin and Kwangmin stared at him, amused smiles playing on their lips.

“Twin power!”

-

33 subscribers and 2 commenters! Thank you, thank you~~
We're down to our last member ^^

Oh, and I finally edited the forewords. It was too boring a foreword lolz. You can give it a read ^^