Case 0: Donghyun I

Once upon a time,

Endless paperwork and counselling, the young man with raven hair is starting to feel more like a school counsellor than a police officer. So many problematic youths coming in with their hate for the world and then walking out with a slightly more optimistic outlook on life. While he wasn’t interested in ground-breaking cases because a quiet neighbourhood was a good sign, some part of him was itching for more exciting things at work.

Or it was the three-year syndrome his acquaintances used to talk about?

He had gotten straight to work after university and maybe it was starting to take its toll on him on his third year as a neighbourhood post policeman.

“Donghyun-ssi.”

The said man raised his head from the file he had been reading from, smiling politely and hurriedly standing up to give a formal bow to his superior, file put away. He kept his bowing stance, waiting for the acknowledgement that came in a form of a slight pat from the other before standing straight again.

“Afternoon, sir. Is there anything I could help with?” Donghyun spoke clearly and calmly, eyes on the floor as direct eye contact with a superior was rude.

“I want to thank you for your hard work with all the recent youth problems, must be tough dealing with those teens? I heard they don’t respect you a lot either because you look new.” The superior sighed, shaking his head. “I’m glad our team has someone like you though, I can’t trust the rest to deal with irrational teenagers. They don’t have a good temper after dealing with these things for years.”

“It’s my job, sir.” Donghyun bowed again, dismissing his own efforts as pure responsibility instead.

Humming an affirmative sound at Donghyun’s humble attitude, the superior then held out a file for the younger man to take. “I’m handing this job over to you, it’s a bit troublesome and dangerous because of possible mafia involvement, so be real careful.”

Nodding firmly, Donghyun received the file with both hands and bowed once more at his superior’s departure.

He read the file as he took his seat, which stated youths going around messing up street vendors' businesses by extorting money. There were many different accounts of these extortions, and how the damage done to the street vendors were larger than just a group of teens’ work.

-

Donghyun wondered if it was all right for him to leave his identity card back at home. Technically it should be fine if he was going undercover, but he still wasn’t the most comfortable with leaving home without his police identification card.

He had heard of increasing crime in this vicinity that he had visited, and if the mafia involvement his superior suspected was true, then this would probably be their territory in which they go around extorting protection fees.

Noting a group of four teens with tattoos on their arms heading towards a street vendor, he pressed his lips together, not sure whether or not to be happy that he had come at the correct time.

“Hey, isn’t it time to pay up?” The apparent oldest of the group said as he kicked the street vendor’s stand, causing a few items to fall out. “You think we can’t do a thing?”

“I would pay if I have the money, but there’s no one here as you can see! How do I make any money if there are no customers?!” The middle-aged woman cried, hurrying to pick up the fallen items.

“Stop it, we’re trying!” A young boy ran towards the crowd, standing before the stand and looking defiantly at the group of four.

“You.” The leader grabbed the face of the young boy roughly, almost raising the male off the ground with the force. “You’re supposed to report to us and not hang around here.”

“Please, please, release my son!”

“If you’re not paying up then be wary of what we will do to your lovely son.” The man smirked, spitting on the face of the older woman as he released his grip about the young boy’s small face. The young boy gave his mother a tiny smile, before allowing himself to be dragged along by the four.

Donghyun frowned and wondered if he should go talk to the street vendor or chase after the group, guessing that they would be heading back to base from their conversation. He judged the woman’s behaviour on how she reacted to her son being dragged away, and decided it probably wasn’t the first time. She sort of didn’t protest too much, as if knowing he would come back at the end of the day anyway.

Putting his logical deductions to the back of his mind, Donghyun hurried after the group of now five teens, his casual wear due to being undercover a lot easier to move around in than his stuffy uniform.

Maybe it was the inexperience.

The inexperience that caused Donghyun to be thrown to the floor on his knees as he came face to face with a supposed head of the group of teens.

“What are you doing around here, I haven’t seen you before.” The man that Donghyun guessed was older than him questioned, grabbing his hair to force the kneeling man to look at him.

“I’m-”

“Search him.” The man then released his grip by giving a harsh push, almost causing Donghyun’s face to hit the floor. Donghyun winced, his body easily lifted by two rather burly teenagers while another searched his pockets.

Donghyun’s eyes darted around to survey his surroundings. There were at least a dozen of teens, and him and the head were probably the older ones in the crowd. While some had smug postures and tattoos on their arms, the policeman realised that other than the young boy he had seen previously, there were at least two others innocently watching on, backed to the wall as if fearing something.

“He has nothing on him.”

Donghyun decided he did a good thing leaving his identification card at home.

“Why are you here? Most kids know how to stay out of our way.” The head then asked, kicking Donghyun in the stomach as the two teens threw him back down. He frowned when he heard a loud ringtone play, then picking up the phone in a submissive pose.

The other kids all stood in attention, while Donghyun grabbed his stomach trying to soothe the pain. He wasn’t much of a fighter; everyone said he was more of a peacemaker.

“Give him some warning and then tie him up somewhere, we need to meet the rest for a meeting.” 

The four teens, which Donghyun guessed were the main group of thugs for this group, then gathered around him for some stress relief. He winced as their punches grew violent, rolling around in pain as they attacked every part of him.

“Rope.” The young boy from before came in with the said item, effectively stopping the four from their violent tendencies.

“Do these menial stuff with your kind.” The leader spat, nodding at two of the built teens to carry Donghyun’s body to a room where the chair he was supposed to be tied to was waiting.

The young boy nodded and gestured for two boys pressed against the wall to follow him.

-

The three boys that tied him to the chair were all so young and soft-spoken. Donghyun sighed as he estimated that he was bounded to the chair for fifteen minutes already. He almost flinched when a turn of the doorknob broke the silence he had adapted to.

“What are you doing?” Donghyun asked quietly, watching the son of the street vendor untie the ropes that were holding his limbs to the chair. “Wouldn’t they kill you?”

The boy looked up into Donghyun’s eyes as he moved to the front to loosen the knots there, those he had tied himself, and the man could only notice how bright his eyes were despite the dulled expression. The boy threw the undone ropes to a side as he finished, not once breaking his gaze from the older man. “Then save me.”

Donghyun blinked, and wondered how the younger could have so much faith in him. He was sure no one would bet their own lives on him seeing how he was so easily beaten up and tied to a chair with bleeding wounds. He watched the thin hand grab his wrist, leading him to a secret path.

“What’s your name, young boy?” Donghyun asked as the boy gestured to the end of the path.

The man didn’t miss the small bitter smile the younger wore.

“I’ll tell you if I see you again.”

-

I'm not the most pleased with this backstory, but I've gotta start somewhere >_<

Donghyun's currently raven-haired, nope, not a mistake. I'll explain his blondeness when it comes to it, but it's a small thing (kind of a joke to me) and meant more for fun so don't be too hung up on it.

So yeah, I know I started this as a one shot, but I was asked if I could make this longer and I was thinking about it and thought hey, it's worth a shot!
So this shall be my first Boyfriend chaptered, I'm still not sure I can come up with interesting cases, so please forgive me if they don't end up being anything amazing >_<

I don't like the idea of throwing six boys together with no rhyme or reason, 
so I'll be slowly writing their back stories and how they ended up together for Case I (what I'm currently naming the previous one shot as)

I'd appreciate comments a lot ^^