The Porcelain Boy

The Porcelain Boy

Two months later, Taemin was born on the fateful 18th night of July. Both families heaved a great sigh of relief to know that Taemin was born without complications, and that he was well and healthy. And the two families remained close friends, working through their daily life honestly. The advice from the fortune teller long forgotten, claimed to be a hoax, a manipulation of fear in his bid to earn.

 

It was only two years later that it became clearer. Initially, Taemin would be prone to colds in the winter seasons, which appeared logical, so Officer Lee hadn’t paid much attention. Except that Taemin started falling sick easily with fickle weather changes, common to the part of South Korea they were in. He would shiver uncontrollably with the cold and sweat profusely with the heat. His appetite was also small, and he was a real fussy eater, mostly because of his allergies. Because of these, Taemin was seldom allowed out of the house. When he was seen, people saw a petite frame and pale skin.

 

Fortunately, or not for a man, Taemin grew up prettily. He was the talk of the town for his soft features; beautiful doe-eyes, pretty plump lips and almost-flawless skin. Taemin didn’t have broad shoulders or large hands, which was why he was often picked on by boys of his age and played with the girls a lot instead. He didn’t think there was anything wrong with that. And that was because Taemin had Jinki, whom he loved to call by Onew.

 

Four years his senior, Onew was Taemin’s childhood playmate. Before the younger went to school, he would spend his free time following Onew around doing his chores. When Onew did deliveries to the old ladies in town, Taemin would follow. When Onew went to the secluded little clearing behind his house to study, Taemin would follow. Sometimes when Onew slept in his room, Taemin would stay over. While he didn’t quite yet figure out, Taemin felt secure with Onew around, the boys wouldn’t pick a fight with him or call him names, and the girls would stay away because Onew wasn’t very kind with them. But it was all okay, because Taemin had Jinki.

 

Even though both of them haven’t had the habit to talk much, they were close. They mostly hung out together in a comfortable silence, understanding each other’s thoughts without verbal cues.

 

On the other hand, Jinki had been drilled in his mind that of his responsibility towards Taemin. Soo Hyun and Eunhye brought him up kindly, though strict enough to make sure he didn’t forget the only other purpose in life they gave him. It sounds unfair, heck, it was unfair! Why did Jinki have to pay this lifetime debt in place of his parents?

 

Jinki was the adopted son of the Yakuzas. In fact, Jinki was born in Korea and adopted at half a year old from the orphanage. Because of the mafia- corporate family environment, Jinki grew up faster than he wanted, and understood things a little faster. He knew he could never object to what appa and umma asked him to do, for in a way he was already indebted to them. Jinki did his best to learn quickly and help his family the way they helped him. Perhaps it was also why Jinki grew up strong-headed and independent, he didn’t talk much for his actions spoke for him.

 

On a typical sunny afternoon, Onew was studying at the clearing with Taemin near him. It was near the river that flowed through the town, the very river that was polluted years ago, now clean and clear as day. Onew was reading quietly, resting against a huge rock, while Taemin was skipping pebbles at the river bank. 

 

“Taemin-ah, come sit next to me.” Onew said simply, still studying his book.

 

The now six-year-old immediately stopped his play, skipping back to sit beside Onew. He never need to question why, he understood Onew was afraid he’ll hurt himself or fall sick in this dry weather. He wanted the boy to stay in the shade they were now under.

 

Taemin peered over to Onew’s book curiously. It didn’t have too many pictures in them and the words were in small prints, unlike the ones his mother reads to him at night. He tried to read, but there were many words he didn’t recognize and before he could finish the page, Onew had turned them. The younger pouted, both at his own limited knowledge and in envy of Onew’s intelligence.

 

“Shall we watch the clouds instead?” Onew said kindly, aware of Taemin’s reactions beside him.

 

A bright smile appeared on Taemin’s face instantly, grateful for the change. It was getting boring and he was getting tired form the heat.

 

They both lay down on the soft grass, watching clouds flow by peacefully. Taemin lifted Onew’s left arm and pulled it behind his head, laying his neck on it. He sighed in content, though Onew didn’t wrap his hand around his shoulders.

 

“Onew hyung, do you like me?” Taemin asked innocently.

 

“Yes, I like you very much.” He replied simply.

 

“Will you leave me?”

 

“Never.”

 

“Will you stay by my side for the rest of my life?”

 

“I won’t,” That got the younger slightly upset as his heart sank, “But I will stay with you for the rest of mine.”

 

Taemin had this little conversation etched in his memory bank, locked away forever in a safe space. It was all the assurance he ever needed to face society’s judgement of him tomorrow.

 

It would have been nice if Onew had wanted to stay with Taemin not out of his duty to the porcelain boy.

 

***

 

Two days later, Taemin was sick again. This time, he was down with mild case of heat rash. It really wasn’t anything too worrying, but the uninformed mother was shocked when she saw the red spots blemishing her son’s fair skin. When Soo Hyun and Eunhye heard of it, they were afraid and distressed

 

“Jinki! Why didn’t you take better care of Taemin?” Soo Hyun questioned, his voice laced with concern.

 

Yet Jinki wasn’t scared, he only hung is head low looking down at his feet. He blamed himself for Taemin falling sick, again. He shouldn’t have made Taemin stay out in the sun for so long, knowing his condition.

 

“You know Taemin and his weak health, you shouldn’t be in the sun!” Eunhye followed, upset at the situation, “If it worsens, we won’t know how to face Officer Lee and his family.”

 

“Please go visit him after school. Let us know his condition after.” His father requested kindly, in the back of his mind already calculating their next step should Taemin’s health still be terrible.

 

Jinki only nodded before heading out. He didn’t feel resent towards his foster parents that they were so concentrated on the boy next door. On the contrary, he was grateful with all that they had provided him with: food, shelter, clothes and education.

 

With what little money he had, Jinki picked up some apples for the family and a book from the second-hand bookstore for Taemin. He’d seemed to find interest in the books Onew was reading these days.

 

“Taemin-ah,” He spoke quietly by the younger’s bedside.

 

Jinki’s heart fluttered the same way Taemin’s eyelashes did as he opened his eyes, helping himself to sit up against the bedframe. Taemin was wearing long sleeves, keeping his rash covered from Jinki.

 

Jinki took Taemin’s right palm and pushed up his sleeve, revealing the reddened skin, his heart ached at the side. Taemin flinched when Jinki unknowingly grazed across his skin, wanting to soothe him.

 

“I’m sorry, Tae-ah.” He gazed straight into the younger’s eyes, sending him an apologetic smile, “I didn’t protect you.”

 

“Onew hyung, it’s not your fault!” Taemin chirped, “I wanted to play in the sun.”

 

“Besides, you can’t possibly protect me from the sun!” He chuckled, making light of the situation.

 

It really wasn’t Jinki’s fault, they both knew it. But that was just his Onew hyung, always taking responsible for Taemin’s weak health. If anyone was to blame, it was Taemin himself who didn’t take care despite knowing his condition.

 

“Tae, I swear I’ll protect you from anything, from anything that hurts you, even if it’s the Sun.” Jinki promised solemnly.

 

Taemin was elated to hear his Onew hyung assure him this way, and he felt important to him. He secretly hoped to stay with Jinki for as long as he could, grow up, listen well and not be of trouble to him.

 

"Here, this is for you." Jinki handed the book to the sick boy.

 

Taemin said his thanks, took over the book and flipped through it. His excitement faded when he saw it had little pictures in them and the words were printed small, just like those Jinki had. He tried not to show his disappointment, and flipped to the first page to read it. Taemin's brows knotted as he attempted to get through the first page, his index finger underlining through each word he read.

 

Jinki was observing Taemin's actions, chuckling at the adorable sight. He sneaked a glance at the page, following Taemin's finger as well. While he finished the page already, the younger was struggling.

 

"Tae-ah, trouble reading?" He asked considerately, not at all meaning to despise him.

 

The other nodded slowly, looking back at the kind face Jinki was showing him, “I really like the book, hyung. I'm just too stupid."

 

"Aniya, you just haven't learnt those new words," Jinki took the book from his hand and slipped under the covers with Taemin, "I'll teach you."

 

Taemin snuggled close to the older boy, resting his head on his shoulder, eyes concentrating on the words Jinki was pointing as he read out loud to the younger. 

 

 


Thanks for reading! ❀◕ ‿ ◕❀