Prologue

The Porcelain Boy

There was once a Yakuza family who migrated from Japan to a small old town in South Korea. The place was small, so was the community. 

 

They moved because they wanted to remove the stigma that followed their background: mafias. The Lee family was invited by a good old friend, a family of respected police officers who wanted to help change their fate. 

 

The Yakuzas, Mr Lee Soo Hyun, his wife Mrs Lee Eunhye and their young son, Lee Jinki, started their business almost as soon as they settled. Town folks were wary of them, not because of their background (which they didn't know), but because their culture and traditions were so different. 

 

It was in the year 1993, when the cycle happened again. Greed and desires led them the wrong way; they'd began dumping toxic waste into the river. The exact river where water flowed to wells and were collected for daily activities. Incidents were reported in no time; of kidney stones, skin diseases, stomach ulcers, and in the more severe cases - deformed foetuses and miscarriage. 

 

Officer Lee's wife was carrying their first baby boy, and was at her seventh month. By the time when investigations confirmed the cause of the diseases, it was too late to do anything for the baby, even to abort it. It carried too much risks for the mother herself. 

 

The Japanese organization was immediately fenced off to prevent any more pollution and was charged with a heavy fine. Since there weren’t any deaths, they were given a warning on record and put on probation for their business activities. The town police also charged them responsible for cleaning up the pollution in the river with regular checks. 

 

Soo Hyun was unbearably regretful of his actions and the possible damage caused to Officer Lee’s family and their unborn baby, Taemin. They had so kindly brought them in for a new life, and yet they’d done exactly what they had promised not to. They sought a fortune teller, and he said Taemin would live a difficult life as an after-effect of this incident; his constitution would be weak constantly, as if that of a porcelain body. It was vague, as all fortune tellings are, and that left Officer Lee and his family helpless. Shrouded with guilt, Soo Hyun made a vow to Office Lee and his wife, he would take absolute responsibility for Taemin if there happens to be anything wrong with the boy. He also made his son, Jinki, promise to care and protect Taemin for the rest of his life, a duty, a lifetime commitment.