The Porcelain Boy

The Porcelain Boy

Posted on 30 Dec 2014


 

“Onew hyung!” Taemin squealed when he saw Jinki walking down the street towards the café they were at.

 

Taemin had skipped off to meet Minho after ending his short call to Jinki about their meeting. They walked Corgi in the park, fed a few wild ducks in the little pond, then wounded up having a cuppa at the same café they used to go all the time. It had begun raining the moment their drinks arrived, so they sat comfortably under the cottage-like shelter. They enjoyed the warm beverage and chatted as time passed.

 

“Taemin.” Jinki showed him the smile that always made Taemin’s heart fuzzy, “I came to pick you up. If you are done, shall we?”

 

His hands naturally s around Taemin’s waist, holding him close to share their umbrella.  That had the maknae blush, his body warmed up from the coffee and his hyung’s touch.

 

“You don’t have to do hold Taemin so close, Jinki hyung,” Minho stood up as well, “I already know your pact with Tae.”

 

Jinki’s grip loosened as he heard Minho spew out those words, a ball of fury and uneasiness nested in his stomach. He looked at the youngest, who was now biting his lips and looking down at his feet. Ignoring the comment, Jinki confidently pulled Taemin closer still by his hips.

 

“Come under the umbrella, let’s go home. Stay close or you’ll get sick from this rain.”

 

Taemin nodded meekly and followed, staying close to his hyung to insulate himself from the cold rain. Minho speaking that way to Jinki, and how Jinki responded after, made Taemin felt like he had betrayed Jinki. It was supposed to be their family secret, not to be known by any outsider, yet Taemin had so easily confided his problems in Minho. They were best friends, but it still didn’t feel right. When Kibum told the youngest to look for Minho when he was feeling troubled or lonely, Key probably didn’t mean for him to just reveal everything.

 

The walk home was serene, with the rain pittering and pattering in the background. Other than that, they both were silent. Taemin was grilling himself over his internal turmoil, he hated it when they became like that. He wanted to ask Jinki how was his day, what he had for lunch, and how is Jinki’s appa doing, but the stern look the elder had intimidated the younger. It was enough for him to know to leave Jinki alone to his thoughts.

 

As they got out of the rain and into the house, Taemin quietly helped Jinki remove his work jacket. It was warm and drenched with Jinki’s cologne. If they weren’t in that situation, Taemin would’ve cheekily draped the jacket over his shoulders to sink into the scent. He watched his hyung take off his shoes and he did so himself, then he followed Jinki into their room. His eyes didn’t leave the elder’s back until they were turned away from him as Jinki sat on the bed.

 

“Hyung, are you angry? Why are you ignoring me?” Taemin asked softly, hesitating to meet Jinki’s gaze.

 

“I wasn’t ignoring you. You were keeping quiet.” Jinki opened his arms, inviting Taemin to come closer to him.

 

“You didn’t look like you wanted to speak to me. I’m sorry.” He scooted in front of his husband and let him hold his hand, “I’m sorry I told Minho hyung something I shouldn’t have. We were just talking about my sudden wedding, and it was just casual, and I ended up blurting it out…”

 

“I’ll always want to hear your voice. Tae-ah, it’s alright. You can tell anyone you trust, but just be wary. Anyone else you told?”

 

“On-only Minho hyung.” Taemin answered immediately and truthfully. 

 

Even Kibum doesn’t know the real reason they had this arranged marriage.

 

Jinki ruffled the younger’s hair comfortingly, “Go get a warm shower, else you’ll catch a cold in this weather.”

 

Taemin’s heart sighed and relaxed, being honest was good. He really didn’t want Jinki to dislike him, and he was glad the elder didn’t blame him for letting the cat out of the bag. He hopped into the bathroom and took his time to wash the tiredness out of his legs.

 

When he came out, he found Jinki sleeping in a foetal position, cutely cuddled up on his side of the bed. Taemin’s heart skipped, and he tiptoed to the bed to sit. His hand moved to comb Jinki’s hair, and he saw tiny creases on his forehead. Taemin smiled at the adorable side and ran his fingers along the other man’s forehead, attempting to ease the frowns. Noting the deep slumber Jinki had gone into, he gently leaned down to place a kiss on his cheek. He could’ve gone further without getting caught, but he couldn’t be so sure, not after what happened on their first night. He snuggled under their blanket, not even bothering to help Jinki change.

 

***

 

Taemin met with Minho for another two times that week, then more frequently the following two weeks, all on the premise of walking Corgi. And the youngest had dutifully informed Jinki of his whereabouts, and each time Jinki would come pick Taemin up after work, strolling home together then spending the night there. The maknae quickly learned to associate meeting up with Minho hyung with Jinki sleeping at their house. He liked that very much, and also the reason he enjoyed hanging out with the pianist.

 

“Onew hyung!” Taemin sounded flustered over the phone, “Minho hyung said Corgi ran away last night. I’m going to help him search for it, so you don’t have to get me today, I’ll call you again okay?”

 

Taemin hung up the moment Jinki gave his permission and ran off to meet Minho. He thought he must be even more worried that Corgi went missing, what made him determined to find the puppy for his owner. It would be his way of showing appreciating to how Minho has been taking care of him these days when Kibum was gone. It had been much easier and less suffocating to speak freely with Minho now that he knows what’s going on and why he had been upset.

 

They spent the afternoon looking in the park and to places they have walked Corgi before, perhaps he may have wandered there. They shouted for the puppy, shaking his favourite treats in hope of him hearing it, but to see no puppy running to them. The sun began to set and by the time they’d decided to end the search, it was already pretty dark in the skies. Minho conveniently invited Taemin to stay over tonight at his place, in attempt to help ‘combat his loneliness’ now that there was no puppy around him. The flower boy thought for a while, before saying he needed to get some stuff from home. They left for their separate ways as Taemin hurried back to pack.

 

As he opened the door to his room, he found a Jinki sitting on the couch, reading with his glasses under a small lamp. He clicked the lights on.

 

“Onew hyung, why are you here…?”

 

“I didn’t know where you were, so I came back to wait. Did you find the dog?” Jinki bookmarked the book and set it down, walking over to hug the boy.

 

“We didn’t.” He sighed sadly, “I’ll be spending the night with Minho hyung though, he seems really distraught about it.”

 

Taemin gave him a quick squeeze, his mind was occupied with going back to accompany Minho. He turned around to pick up a bagpack and begin rummaging through the closet.

 

“Y-you can’t go. I won’t allow that.” Jinki’s voice trembled, barely audible.

 

“Why, Onew hyung? It’s just one night. He needs me at a time like this. He has been very kind to me, and-”

 

“No means no!” The elder accidentally raised his voice in his fit of anger and anxiety.

 

“Taemin, you are right, he needs you.” Jinki tried to compose himself, “He’s going to be very kind to you and your tonight.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Taemin yelled back, “Minho hyung has been nothing but sweet to me, he talks to me when I was lonely and he comforts me when I’m upset that you chose work over me!”

 

“He’s a friend and a hyung I trust a lot, so I forbid you to say something like that! I’m going even if you disagree!”

 

With that, Taemin stuffed his night clothes in his bag and stormed out the room. His angry footsteps could be heard through the house as he stomped down the steps and slammed the front door. Jinki let out a frustrated groan, curse him to have said something so blunt like that. He should’ve known how Taemin has grown attached to Minho, and he loathes that. He kicked a leg of the couch and dropped himself on it carelessly, shutting his eyes and mind out.

 


Annyeong! One more day to the end of 2014! How long have you been on AFF? C: 

Thanks for reading and I'll see you next year again!