The Porcelain Boy

The Porcelain Boy

Posted on 21 Dec 2014 


 

That evening, Jinki walked Taemin all the way home, his hand clutching tightly on the latter. As they strode through town, Jinki’s hand shifted to place on Taemin’s waist, as if declaring his custody of his wedded husband, especially to the Minho following behind them. He answered to Taemin’s bubbly talk each time looking the pretty boy in his sparkling eyes, paying him full attention.

 

The road to Minho’s place was ahead of Taemin’s, so it wasn’t like he could avoid the purposeful lovey-dovey of the two. He saw the couple enter the house together, and he decided to visit the grocery store just across the road. Minho took his time shopping for some unnecessary items, so he could wait to see if Jinki would leave soon. Because Kibum came to him requesting that he kept Taemin occupied in his free time while he’s out of town, he came to learn about the half-hearted relationship between the two. And cleverly, he felt certain this could be his best time to strike and snatch Taemin for himself. And he’s got more than just tricks up his sleeves to have Taemin by his side, not just during the period when Kibum’s not around.

 

“Onew hyung…” Taemin looked up at his husband expectantly, “Are-”


“I’ll be staying over tonight. I’m taking a shower, could you pull out the mattress for me?” Jinki replied simply, knowing what he was going to ask anyway.

 

That was enough to have Taemin hopping on his toes, excited to be sleeping in the same room with Jinki. Though he really shouldn’t be complaining that Jinki wants to sleep apart from him. He hurried to spread out the mattress diligently, straightening out any creases on the new sheets, before Jinki comes out and changes his mind. He then sat quietly on their bed, recollecting today’s picnic with a wide smile on his face as he waited for his turn to use the bathroom. It was still fun, and it brought back many pleasant memories on how they were back in their younger carefree days, albeit the unexpected guest and his pet.

 

As soon as Jinki was done, Taemin popped in so he could wash quickly. He shouldn’t be wasting time in the bath while Jinki was just outside waiting in the same room! Call it wishful thinking, Taemin cleaned himself thoroughly just in case.

 

They both snuggled into their respectives beds for the night, warm and cosy under the blankets.

 

"Onew hyung-" Taemin started.

 

"Tae-ah, how did you know Minho?"

 

The younger, cut off from his previous thoughts, begin thinkinh about when he first met the tall man.

 

"We were in the same high school, Key hyung introduced us two years ago. He came from another town, I think." He recalled, "He's a pianist, and he's really good at it! He used to teach me piano, but since we graduated, he hasn't had a lot of time, so we stopped."

 

Jinki nodded his head, somewhat pleased with that answer.

 

Remembering what Kibum had said previously about Jinki wanting to know his friends, Taemin continued, "He's really nice and patient with me, he lets me sit in his lap when he teaches me."

 

That had Jinki open his eyes to look up at Taemin from its previous closed state, and to find him smiling innocently; not aware how that may have sounded to others. Sure, there's nothing wrong with friends being this close, given how Jinki used to be more affectionate when they were much younger...but the eldest knew Minho had something else in mind when he got close with Taemin. He wondered if he could find out just a little more without sounding suspicious.

 

"Onew hyung, when you're at work, can I go meet with him sometime? To walk Corgi, and to catch up too." Taemin asked expectantly, not too sure why was he even asking to meet his hyung in his free time.

 

Maybe a certain part of him wanted to give Jinki some autonomy over him as his wedded husband. Scrap that, he wanted to believe the whole of his being belonged to Jinki! And the pure-hearted boy sure didn't want Jinki to think of him and Minho having some sort of relationship other than a platonic one.

 

"Of course you can, Taeminnie," Jinki smiled, "But you'll have to let me know when and where you're going, and for how long."

 

Jinki blushed, embarrassed at how paranoid he sounded, as if Taemin was his only to keep. He hoped the younger didn't think he was being overprotective and restrictive. Taemin nodded obediently, and they both were glad inside by the assurance exchanged.

 

"...Onew hyung, why-" Taemin asked meekly, breaking the comfortable night silence.

 

"Good night, Minnie." Jinki sat up to place a dainty kiss on the younger's forehead, tucking him in gently.

 

That was enough to have the younger dazed and his question forgotten. He slipped back into his own nest and turned his back towards Taemin. He (again) already knew what the younger was going to ask, and he really didn't want to give him an answer. Jinki couldn't bother with an explanation, he had some urges to control.

 

Minho watched from outside as the lights in the married couple's room clicked off. He could feel anger pooling in the pits of the stomach, and he hated imagining what the two could've been doing, and what he would do instead if he was in the place of Jinki. From an outsider's point of view, it really wasn't difficult to tell that Jinki has this overpowering sense of protectiveness, and it only challenged him more to want to get Taemin.

 

See, Minho was an individual who loved the spotlight. That was even when he found his talent at playing the piano, he strived to play better. He would jump at opportunities to perform at recitals, and it fed his ego being told once that his performance was almost stealing the limelight from the main play going onstage.

 

When his father told that he had got a job transfer, and that they all had to move here, Minho threw a fit. Their parents couldn’t understand the tantrum, since it was somewhat a job promotion and Minho was already graduating from middle school, so it was best time to move. They passed it off as his unhappiness of leaving his friends. But it was really because Minho didn’t know if he could enjoy the same kind of adoration he had in their old town.

 

His first day of high school was already unpleasant, all he heard was whispers and squeals over a certain flower-boy – Lee Taemin. He hated school. Minho was tall and good-looking, to say the least. He has got a few girls going for him, but of course they weren’t enough to satisfy his desire for attention. It was until he came to know Kibum, his first friend in the new place, and that distracted him a little.

 

Initially when Kibum first introduced Taemin to him, he found it rather bothersome, more so when the impression of the maknae as the flower-boy of their town wasn't one too thrilling to begin with. But when he finally laid eyes on the boy, it gave him a one-hundred-and-eighty degrees change in how Minho saw him. He never thought a boy could look so alluring, at least not like Taemin. To him, the youngest gave him the feeling of a greenhouse flower that required much care and attention. Which came true, when he would fall sick often with the fickle weather. It wasn't like he loved him, he just thought Taemin to be so beautiful and yet so vulnerable...it makes one want to taint and crush it.

 

***

 

“Taemin-ah, want to hang out and walk Corgi?” Minho spoke calmy over the receiver after two days.

 

“Minho hyung!” Taemin chirper excitedly, “Sure! Let me just call Onew hyung and we’ll meet in a bit.”

 

The younger felt his heart skip a beat at the mention of Jinki’s name, and how he could use this ‘excuse’ to speak to his hyung, to hear his voice even for a short bit.

 

“Why do you-,” Minho stopped himself, “Ah, right. Let’s meet at the café down the street then.”

 

All the better then, Minho didn’t have to do it himself to ensure that Jinki gets wind of how he will steal Taemin away from the eldest. 

 


Thanks for reading!