9th

One More (Probably the Last) Shot

 

HYUKJAE’S POV

 

I was literally glaring holes on my laptop as the movie me and Hae are supposed to be watching was streaming. It was the film he has been bugging me to download cough illegally cough and now that I already did, that fish face was nowhere to be seen.

I heard someone snorted loudly across me and I just shifted my deadly gaze over him but of course, he’s not my best friend if he’ll be affected by it.

“Glaring on your laptop won’t bring your lovely boyfriend here so stop it. You look like an idiot.” Sungmin hyung said, purely amused at my situation instead of being a bit sympathetic just like what a normal best friend must feel.

I sighed in defeat as I paused the movie and shut my laptop down. I pouted and looked back at him.

“It’s been two days since he came home and he never showed his face here even once!” I whined as I started kicking the blanket away from me. I know I looked like a spoiled kid but two days is so long for me already!

I miss my Hae…

“Don’t worry too much okay? Maybe he’s just doing something important. It’s your role as his boyfriend to understand if there will be times that he won’t be around. And he won’t always be.” He explained as he gave me a pointed look silently telling to shut up already.

“Where’s Umma?” I asked instead, trying to avert the topic. I woke up late and all I saw was Sungmin hyung munching his food and a small note on top of my breakfast telling me that she had an important meeting to attend to. Not that I mind but like me, Umma also has very few friends and she rarely goes out with them. She said she’d rather spend her time with me, her baby, and her other sons Sungmin hyung and Donghae.

“Out. She also didn’t say anything but that she’ll go home as soon as she can.”

 

Lunch time came and it was decided that Minnie hyung will be the one to cook for the two of us, making some more just in case Umma or even Hae (I could only hope though) will drop by to eat with us.

Enjoying the hot stew, the front door opened and I heard Umma walked in while talking to someone, her hearty laugh filling the whole house. She entered the kitchen with a bright smile on her face as she greeted us but that was not made me stand up.

Behind her was Hae, dressed casually with plain white v-neck shirt and jeans but still looked as stunning as ever. He was grinning at me, eyes playfully twinkling and even before Sungmin hyung could open his mouth, I already dashed towards my fishy and engulfed him in a tight hug.

Hae’s arms automatically wrapped themselves around my waist as I wrapped mine on his torso, squeezing the life out of him (I snorted inwardly. It’s not like my thin limbs have a match with his muscles). His laughter filled my ears making me warm inside and nuzzled my face against his chest.

He then slightly pushed me away and I almost let out a childish whine. I froze though when I felt his thin lips on my forehead, kissing me tenderly. He pulled away and smiled that toothless grin I always adore and pecked the top of my nose.

“I missed you too Hyukkie.” He said lovingly and even before I could burst into tears because of too much HaeHyuk feels (of course I need to have our couple name), I once again hugged him tight, burying my face on the crook of his neck.

“Please give me some popcorn Umma it feels like I’m watching a super cliché and sloppy drama.” Sungmin hyung commented on the side while my mother laughed out loud.

If I was still on my normal self I would have already snarled back at them but hey, I’m still enjoying my boyfriend’s arms and scent on me. They’re just jealous because they’ll never have someone as perfect as my Donghae (Sorry Appa, sorry Kyu).

 

DONGHAE’S POV

 

I was holding Hyukjae’s hands, casually playing with his fingers while he was laughing with something Sungmin hyung joked about. I couldn’t actually focus on anything they’re saying since I’m still absorbed with my conversations with Umma back at the restaurant.

 

FLASHBACK

After I told Umma everything, I expected some scolding and even telling me not to see her baby anymore but, I got none of those. Instead, she held my hand and gave it a squeeze of comfort.

“The two of you may be pretending but I know the way you looked at him and how you cared for him were true.” She stated calmly and smiled at me.

“I love him Umma, I really do. And I’m willing to make things right.” I told her as I looked straight into her eyes, my own burning with determination.

“I know but I’m telling you this now so you won’t be shocked. He’s a lot crazier than you know so I’m already apologizing on his behalf.” She said and we both laughed, my whole being finally relaxing on how this meeting unexpectedly turned out well.

END OF FLASHBACK

 

I sighed inaudibly so that Hyukkie won’t notice my inner trouble. I know he in nature is just a simple-minded guy but I wanted to make everything special. I want to make him feel how much I love and cherish him, how genuine my feelings for him are.

“Hae?”

I snapped from my thoughts when I looked at him and saw him staring worriedly at me.

“Something wrong? You’re exceptionally quiet today. Are you sick?”

I smiled and shook my head. As much as I don’t want him getting worked up because of me, the concern he was showing me makes my heart flutter. He pouted but said nothing else to which I’m thankful. I looked at Sungmin hyung and saw him giving me a playful grin.

“Well,” Sungmin hyung started as he stood up and dusted his pants. “I’d better go and give you love birds time to catch up.” He continued and shot me a knowing look. I subtly nodded and smiled gratefully at him. I know this will be hard and I’m far from being sure that Hyukkie will return my feelings (even though Umma and Sungmin hyung root for me). And I also know that if ever he will return my love, all the hardships will be worthwhile.

 

Silence followed as soon as Sungmin hyung pulled the front door close. Umma was inside her room taking an afternoon nap. We sat side by side in silence. I was looking down while I continued to hold his hand. He will occasionally giggle when I will trace the shape of his long fingers with my finger pads. The mood was good and I’m afraid that my plan will be misunderstood by Hyukkie and it will ruin everything.

I suddenly wanted to chicken out of my plan.

Mentally shaking my head, I kept on telling myself to go through this already. I don’t want to pursue my so-called relationship with my baby surrounded with lies and pretence. I wanted him to feel my love not because he’s supposed to be my boyfriend but because he really is.

“You’re spacing out again.”

I woke up from my thoughts and from his voice, I knew he’s pouting. I turned towards him and yep, he’s pouting alright.

Smiling gently, I ruffled his hair. “Sorry. I was just thinking of something.”

“What is it?”

“I’m thinking of ice cream.”

His face practically glowed at the mention of the sweet treat I couldn’t help but be reminded of a small kid. He hurriedly got up and dragged me with him. Scanning his appearance, I laughed and shook my head. Instead of following him to the door, I detoured to his room and grabbed a thick jacket and a beanie. I came out only to find him pouting with his arms crossed on his chest, cutely glaring at me.

“What?”

“Where did you go? I thought we’ll get ice cream?”

I laughed and raised the jacket and beanie. He stared at it for a minute then looked down at his clothes. He pursed his lips and peeked at me through his blond fringe. My baby commented nothing because he knew I’m right.

Why?

He doesn’t have work today (yes he works like any normal human being don’t be too surprised) so he’s wearing his baby blue elephant-printed pajamas with a pair of pink socks. He kind of became too excited to disregard his lack of clothes. I smiled and handed him his clothes and made sure everything’s fixed before we finally went out of their house.

 

A/N: next will be the last then the epilogue.. thanks for the comments and the subs lovelies~ I really appreciate them ^^