5th

One More (Probably the Last) Shot

HYUKJAE’S POV

 I sighed heavily as I leaned against the cold tiled wall of the restroom. Everything will be a lot easier if that girl didn’t shout her insecurities slash jealousy to the world. She even tagged our names for Pete’s sake! Now what should I do?!

The nobody Lee Hyukjae and Mr. Popular Lee Donghae who never really spoke to each other before was suddenly in a relationship.

How twisted was that?!

My goodness we’re not even friends on Facebook! See the effort I did just to avoid him? Now I have to open my account there to which I rarely opened before just to answer all of their worthless questions that I know will flood my notifications. I just do open it when I wanted to play Candy Crush (omygosh I remembered I was still stuck at level 64) and yeah, I was stuck at that level making me hate it even more.

Sungmin hyung! Argh he’s gonna kill me once he saw that status! He doesn’t even know I met Donghae here last time!

I’m doomed.

With dropped shoulders, I moved forward to the sink and washed my face hoping it might clear my mind a little. I looked up at the mirror and frowned. My eyes scanned my whole face, even noticing the small droplets of water falling down my chin.

I sighed.

As much as I love the idea of being in a relationship with Donghae, how can people even believe it? He’s perfect while I’m.. I’m me. And that is enough reason why such perfection won’t be mine.

I’m confused as heck right now. Yes I said that I have nothing to lose but it doesn’t mean that I won’t be affected by it. The feelings I tried burying deep inside my heart in an instant was dug up like that.

I could pretend. That was what I’m good at actually but I’m not sure how long I could hold it in. It will be a lot easier for me if it’s not Donghae involved here.

I was on my way out of the restroom when my phone suddenly rang. I gulped hard, praying that it’s not someone I was dreading to talk to at the moment. I pulled my phone out with shaky hands, eyes closed firmly. I then raised my phone to my eye level and slowly opened my eyes, the sight of the screen slowly becoming visible to me and of course, it has to be Sungmin hyung.

Great. I think Shisus specifically chose this time and situation to punish me for all the weird and abnormal things I have done in my life.

I answered the call and slowly brought my phone near my ear, cautious and alert on pulling it away any second my best friend’s loud voice will blaze through the device.

“He-“

“LEE HYUKJAE YOU CRAZY MONKEY!! IF NOT BECAUSE OF THAT BISH I WON’T KNOW THAT YOU’RE IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH LEE FREAKING DONGHAE!”

See what I mean?

“H-Hyung..” I pleaded through the phone. Good thing I was alone or else the humiliation I’m feeling right now will just be doubled.

“What excuse are you gonna say now huh Hyukjae?!” I flinched at the way he said my real name. It was hateful and I could also feel the hurt in his voice. It is never Hyukjae to him. It is always Hyukkie unless I did something really unforgivable. The first and last time he had been like this was when I accidentally threw the pink bunny plushie given to him by Yesung hyung (he was very much infatuated with Yesung hyung that’s why how he ended up with Kyuhyun is still a mystery to me).

“I’ll explain everything once I got home. I’m with Hae and Yesung hyung right no-“

“Oh so now it’s Hae to you huh?” He spat in annoyance and I could feel the guilt starting to eat me alive.

“Hyung please I also didn’t expect any of these. Everything happened so fast and even Hae is having a hard time because of this.” I’m on the verge of crying right now. The frustration’s getting the best of me. My mind’s full of what if’s and doubts that they’re all swirling inside making me dizzy and nauseous.

“H-Hyukkie..”

“I’m sorry Hyung.” I mumbled, finally letting the tears ran down my face. Without waiting for his reply, I cut the call off and ran back to the restroom then locked myself in one of the cubicles there. I pulled the cover of the toilet seat and sat there with me hugging my legs tight while I buried my face between my knees.

What did I get myself into this time?

I really couldn’t hate or blame Sungmin hyung for acting that way. If I’m on his place, I will also gonna be that upset when I found out about my best friend’s relationship through someone else rather than my best friend himself. I’ll just apologize to him later.

I remained there as I waited for my tears and sobs to subside. I bet Donghae’s worried now since I’ve been here for almost half an hour I guess. That is if he really cares for me.

Feeling exhausted and tired from all the crying I did, I stood up and went out of the cubicle. I once again washed my face and dried them with my hanky -good thing I always bring an extra- and decided to finally go back. Donghae surprised me though when I opened the door and saw him standing there with a very worried expression.

I gaped at him as his eyes scanned my expression, his worry going even more evident than before.

“Hyukkie what happened? Are you okay?” He asked me as he pulled me towards him and wrapped his arms around me, my head automatically leaning to his broad shoulder. His scent once again hit my senses and his warmth slowly enveloping me making me calm and somewhat reenergized. A smile immediately made its way to my lips as I nodded briefly at him.

“I’m fine now, thank you.”

He let go of me, much to my disappointment, and stared straight into my eyes. I had to divert my gaze from his brown orbs though or else I’ll surely be hypnotized by them again.

“Tell me what happened.”

I shook my head, not wanting to worry him and give him burden. I’m not the type of person who shares his problems to other people. If I can solve this on my own, then I would. If not, well then it . It’ll just gonna be stuck in my head, haunting me day and night no matter how much I try to distract myself by doing other things.

“Hyukkie…”

The way he called my name made my heart skip a beat. It was very refreshing to say the least. His voice was so warm and I could really feel the concern he has for me.

“You should talk to me about anything. I mean, we’re lovers right?” He asked with a small grin I couldn’t help but blush at his words. “I know this technically is your first relationship and I just want you to know that you can always tell me everything. I’m here now. I’m your lover. If something’s bothering you, you can share them with me.”

He smiled lovingly at me as he held my hand and led me out of the restroom.

“I know you’re used to being alone and only depending on yourself most of the time but, that’s why I’m here now. Having a lover means someone who you can share your happiness and pain with. That person is someone who will laugh and cry with you even because of the smallest reason you can find.”

The way his words pass through my ears was really foreign to me. He’s right. Never in my life have I had someone I could really talk to. Of course there are my friends and my family but there are really some things that I couldn’t say to them. I always choose to keep them to myself and every time it will bother me, all I do is curl myself in the comforts of my bed and silently cry until the weight in my heart will temporary lessen.

What’s new? He was actually the first person to say those things to me. It’s like… he knew me deep down inside and could easily read me like an open book. This part of me is unknown even to my parents and best friend.

And then.. here he is… voluntarily lending himself to me, telling me that I can lean on him whenever I want to.

If this is how it feels to have a special someone then I don’t think I’ll be able to take it if all of this pretense will be over.

 

 

Once I reached home, I immediately opened my account and sighed when I saw the number of notifications. I browsed through them, rolling my eyes once in a while when I saw how our classmates congratulated us, more like me, for our relationship. They said they’re really happy for the two of us.

I snorted loudly at that, not caring if I sounded like a retarded pig.

Really happy my .

I won’t really say that I liked my classmates back in college. I’m just civil towards them since well, they’re my classmates and I needed to get along well with them. But personality-wise, if I could I will have as minimum interaction with them as I could. They’re like those typical students you see in foreign movies that were all jerks and flirts and too conscious with their social status. The difference was in the films the setting’s high school while in my world it’s college. And yeah I’m that typical nobody that doesn’t care on whether people around me are already throwing insults at me. I’ll just look blankly at them then turn around and walk away. It’s not like I could actually hear them since my earphones are stuck on my ears with my favorite music blasting through them.

Donghae will text me every now and then asking me if I’m okay and of course I’ll reply that I am okay. We even added each other on Facebook and agreed on setting our status to in a relationship.

I know I know… It’s okay to get jealous of me.

Hah get that bishes. Donghae’s miiiiiinnnneeeeee!

In all honesty though, I’m having fun with everything. I decided that crying over these won’t solve anything so why bother? I’ll just look at the bright side of things and have fun with it while it lasts. Donghae’s words back at the mall really helped me a lot. Besides, I really wanna see their reactions when they found out that I’m Hae’s boyfriend.

As I have said before, he’s one of the most sought after heartthrobs of the university so of course, us being an item was surely a big shock for them.

I guess it’s enough for me to say that I slept well that night, my evil laughs echoing at the four corners of my room.

 

 

DONGHAE’S POV

 

What happened scared the living wits out of me. I was really worried back at the coffee shop when it he didn’t come back after a few minutes. Yesung hyung eyed me weirdly and shook his head, telling me how whipped I am. Not that I mind it though. I’ll be a willing whipped guy if it’s for my Hyukkie.

I couldn’t take it anymore so I finally decided to follow him and when I stopped in front of the door only to see him going out of there, his face red and eyes puffy obviously because of crying, I felt my heart broke into pieces.

I really tried my best not to cry with him. Everything’s my fault. The things I avoided all throughout college were the exact things I’m doing to him right now. I wanted to always be with him but the method I chose was clearly really selfish of me. But.. would he mind?

As I encircled my arms around him, I felt him slowly relaxed making me smile and relieved even just a little bit.

After a million times of him assuring him that he’s okay, I finally walked him to the parking lot towards his car and waved him goodbye. I showered him with texts though. I don’t care if he will find me annoying as long as he will know that I’ll always be here whenever something’s bothering him. It’s time for him to have someone whom he can share everything with and I’m very much willing to be that someone.

We added each other on Facebook and set our status to in a relationship to formally announce it to the public or our batchmates earning a lot of congratulations and best wishes from them. I laughed it off after I replied with a small thank you. People really love to exaggerate things. It’s not like we’re getting married or something even though it will be a better idea.

To say that I finally slept well with a huge grin on my face that night is the understatement of the year.

 

 

I sighed as I slipped the shirt off my body and carelessly threw it on my bed. That was the fourth shirt I tried but I still couldn’t decide what to wear. I have to look perfect. Everything has to be perfect. This will be our first official date and I don’t want him to be disappointed if I mess this up. I once again rummaged on my closet and found a red and black plaid shirt. I picked it and took a closer look. It’s not very casual but not too formal either. I grinned and decided to put it on. I put on some perfume and looked down to my table and saw the blue braided bracelet. It was handmade and Hyukkie’s mom, or Umma as what she demanded me to call her, gave it to me while giggling, mumbling about my and Hyukkie’s first couple thing. She was very adorable no doubt Hyukkie took after her.

I slowly picked it up and wore it on my wrist with my watch on the other. After placing my phone and wallet in my pocket, I went out and walked straight to my car and drove it towards my baby’s house.

 Finally arriving on the front of their house, I turned off the engine and went out of the car. I pushed the gate a little and smiled when I found it open clearly stating how they had been expecting me. I invited myself inside and walked towards their door. I was about to knock when I halted as I heard someone shouting inside.

”Hyukkie get your here this instant! Donghae must be on his way already!”

“Wait a minute Umma! Minnie hyung isn’t done with my hair yet!”

I chuckled as I heard the mother and son tandem shouting like that towards each other. Umma is very outgoing that she and Hyukkie will be mistaken to be just siblings or best friends and I really envy their relationship. My mother is also very kind but she is the uptight one, making it clear to me that she is my mother, a figure to be respected and think highly of. I told Hyukkie and his mom about this and much to my delight, she immediately gave me a warm motherly hug telling me that since she’s now also my mom, I could also treat her the way Hyukkie does: a very close companion and best friend.

I finally knocked and did I hear Umma cussed?

The door swung open revealing a beaming Umma. I smiled back and in a blink I was encased in a warm hug.

“Hello my dear Donghae. You look handsome today!” She complimented me and I could only blush at her words. Without waiting for my reply, she pulled me and made me sit on the sofa. “Make yourself at home. My son’s not yet done since I told him he should look perfect today as to not make himself look like a hobo beside you.” She added with a chuckle and finally left me and headed upstairs, probably to check on her son.

I let my eyes roam around the living room. This is my second time here but I never really got the chance to look around since Umma cooed over me so much that very first time I set my feet here. I stood up when a certain photograph caught my eye. Smiling, I walked towards it and slowly picked it taking a closer look. It was a picture of Hyukjae, his mom, dad, and Sungmin hyung. They were smiling and looked like a very happy family. Sungmin hyung had been friends with Hyukjae since the start of our college life and is also considered as a part of the family.

His dad’s not here since he’s working overseas and only comes home every 6 or 7 months but the distance was never a hindrance for his parents to still keep in touch and to be madly in love with each other. He is also very understanding with his son’s preference. I was lucky that time when I first visited here that Umma was having a video call with her husband. I was very nervous that time but the tender aura of his was enough for me to be calm.

I introduced myself and was surprised when he laughed heartily and began teasing Hyukkie on how lucky he was to catch a handsome boyfriend. Of course it made my baby, as well as me, blush but also made me smile knowing I was fully accepted as their son’s lover. He also demanded me to call him Appa and of course, I willingly obliged.

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw Sungmin hyung descending down the stairs, his lips as well as his eyes smiling brightly at me. I also talked to him, explaining everything when I and Hyukkie agreed on meeting him. Apparently the elder’s opinion is very important for Hyukkie and I understood it very well. He also had that knowing look on him. Yeah, I also talked to him about my real intentions towards his best friend and I had to endure his spazzing for about an hour alone since I told him those when I decided to meet him without my angel’s knowledge. He immediately gave his blessings to me stating that he knew me well on how I never played with my relationships before but also, threatening me on using his martial arts on me once I made his best friend cry.

My gaze shifted from him towards the figure behind him. I felt my lips tugging upwards when I saw Hyukkie shyly bowing his head down, his ears going very red. My smile widened when I noticed that he’s also wearing a red and black plaid shirt. I shot Umma a questioning look and she just winked at me. When Hyukkie was finally beside me, Sungmin hyung immediately squealed, telling us on how our minds were connected with each other.

“So Umma didn’t make Hyukkie wear that shirt?” I asked, amused with our couple shirt.

“Nope. Hyuk’s already wearing it even before she went upstairs.” Sungmin hyung squealed, a small bunny smile adorning his face.

We finally bid them goodbye and went towards the car with me opening the passenger’s side for Hyukkie who blushed deeply and muttered a small thank you.

I decided to make this date simple yet memorable since I know how simple-minded my boyfriend is. While driving our way towards the mall, I subtly looked at his wrist and grinned when I saw the same bracelet wrapped around it.

I’m so gonna make this date the best Hyukkie will ever experience in his life.

 

A/N: just a short update.. I'm sorry if I upset all of you with the previous chapter but the situation was considered an 'emergency' by Hae meaning he had less time to think about it thoroughly thus the rash and a little foolish decision. and this is only a light story so please do not expect any heavy plot or something. thank you. :)