4th

One More (Probably the Last) Shot

 

 

 

HYUKJAE’S POV

 

I was busy doing nothing, just lazing around our house in my fluffy bunny pajamas courtesy of Sungmin hyung (but I swear I already took a bath) when my ringtone blazed throughout the house scaring the wits out of me. I dove for that very noisy thing -though I’m quite happy that someone called me since I always just use my phone for music and internet- under my blankets and once I saw who’s calling me, I almost threw my phone outside the window.

Lee freaking Donghae.

Composing myself, I took a deep breath and cleared my dry throat then reluctantly answered the call.

“H-Hello?”

“Thank goodness you answered. Listen, Hyukjae can you do me a favor?”

I raised my brows on how relieved he sounded through the phone. What? Did I turn into a superhero or something without my knowledge and Donghae here needs me to save the world from villains?

“Why what’s wrong?” I asked, somewhat nervous on what he’s gonna ask me. He won’t ask me to pretend to be his boyfriend because of some chick running after him right?

Hah. This is what I get from watching too much drama and for reading fanfics.

“I just need you to come here to the mall. Or should I fetch you from your house instead?” I really have a bad feeling with this. The urgency and panic in his voice were not missed by my ears and I even doubt he had the intentions of hiding them from me in the first place.

I looked at the clock, 10:15 am. Isn’t it too early for him to be at the mall? That place opened just fifteen minutes ago!

I stayed silent, contemplating on what I should do about this since like what I have mentioned before, I’m busy.

“Hyukjae?”

I snapped out of my trance when I heard his voice over the phone.

“Yeah I’m still here sorry I just got lost on my thoughts.” I apologized as I roamed my eyes around the house. My laptop’s now placed perfectly on the couch, a few packs of chips beside it plus my hard drive full of movies (no it doesn’t have in it) laying beside my laptop, ready to be used.

I sighed. I guess my movie marathon will just have to wait for today.

“Uhm…”

“Give me thirty minutes and I’ll be there.” I finally said then I swore I heard a relieved sigh from him.

“Thanks Hyukjae. I owe you a lot.”

“No problem.” I was about to hang up when-

“Uhm.”

“Yeah?”

“T-Take care. On your way here! I-I mean..” He said bashfully I could picture him with blush and everything.

I chuckled. “Okay, thanks Donghae. See you later.”

Toot.

It took me fifteen minutes to fix myself and I was proud of myself for that because Lee Hyukjae needs at least two freaking hours to fix his self.

 

 

 

I arrived at the mall all freshened up, thanks to the car I begged my mom to let me drive. I won’t be able to take it if Donghae will see me in a very haggard state. I fished out my phone from my pocket and texted him.

 

To: Donghae

I’m here at the parking lot already. Where are you?

 

I sent the text and expected a reply when my phone once again surprised me with my ringtone. Should I replace it with waltz?

“Donghae?”

“Hyuk. Just wait for me okay? I’m almost there.”

I nodded dumbly and hit my head on the wall beside me when I realized that he couldn’t even see me.

“Okay.” I answered between my head banging against the wall. I never bothered to end the call since I know Donghae will be the one to do that.

I kept on banging my head against the wall. I kind of found it relaxing in a sense of I don’t even know. I’m weird like that. Maybe that’s why no one took interest of me. Not that I care of course. If someone will like me, they should also accept my weird side. If they can’t take me on my Lindsay Lohan mode then they don’t deserve me on my Beyonce Knowles mode.

I was about to hit the wall again when a hand gently held my head, stopping me from banging it. I looked up and saw Donghae smiling gently down on me but the amusement on his eyes was very obvious.

I said before that I don’t care on what they will say about me right?

I kind of take that back when it comes to Donghae.

He caught me banging my head against the wall omygash let me die now.

“U-Uhm.. h-hi.” I greeted him awkwardly. Gosh I feel so embarrassed. I could even feel how my cheeks are heating up so much right now.

And his face oh-so close to mine was not helping the situation at all.

He chuckled before letting go of my head and took a step away from me, his scent lightly hitting my nose.

He smells so nice I have to have his perfume on my pillow.

Okay I better stop now.

“I was kind of confused when I heard something banging through the phone that I had to hurry going here only to find you hitting your head against the wall.” He explained still with that amusement on his voice and eyes plus that adorable toothy grin on his face.

“O-Oh.” I couldn’t say anything. My brain was still digesting the fact that he caught me doing something so weird.

Well, there you go folks. The friendship that I was hoping will be blooming between us just crashed down like that.

“Why are you doing that anyway?” He asked me as he offered a hand that I shyly grabbed and started walking out of the parking area. I looked at him for a moment, looking for any teasing or mocking in him but I found none.

“You… you don’t find it weird?” I asked, confused with his actions.

He merely shrugged and smiled. “Yes it was weird. But that was what makes you you. And I find it really adorable.” He explained as we finally entered the mall, casually smiling back when the securities greeted us.

I was taken back with what he said. This was the first time someone told me that my weirdness is adorable. Heck even though Sungmin hyung kept on telling me how he loves me, he always mocks me because of my weirdness. But that didn’t make him love me less.

“So,” I cleared my throat. “What’s the favor you wanted to ask me?” I asked as I stopped on my steps making him halt as well, trying to divert the topic as to drive away the awkwardness that was starting to eat me up. It did successfully shift his attention and once again I saw the panic in his face.

“Oh that…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

DONGHAE’S POV

 

 

I looked at Hyukjae, unsure on how I will ask him without making him shout at me.

“Well?” He looked expectedly at me, waiting for my next words.

I roamed my eyes around that immediately widened when I saw her. She was just meters away from us and she was obviously looking for something or someone.

“Donghae?”

I snapped out of my thoughts the same time I saw her finally looking at me. I then faced Hyukjae, held him on his shoulders and stared straight to his eyes.

”Be my boyfriend.” I said and without warning, leaned towards him and kissed him at the corner of his lips. As much as I wanted to take his first kiss knowing he doesn’t have one yet, I couldn’t do that. First kiss is very important and it will be selfish of me if I will steal it from him.

I saw how his and her eyes widened at my action. I regretted nothing though. His cheek is so soft and sweet, how much more if I will get to taste his plump lips?

I finally moved away, my grip on him going light but not totally letting go. I then gave him an apologetic look. “I’ll explain everything later.” I whispered loud enough for him to hear.

Even though still in a daze, he simply nodded at me to which I’m thankful for. I owe him a lot right now but really, I don’t know if I’m making the right decision.

“What’s the meaning of this Lee Donghae?”

Hyukjae and I turned to our side when we heard her annoyingly high-pitched voice. There stood Myung Hee, a medium-built girl with straight black hair, face filled with heavy make-up, wearing a colorful above-the-knee dress and five-inch heels. She was still in a good distance from us but her scent was so strong it hurt my nose and by the way Hyukjae was scrunching his nose, I’m sure he smelt it too.

Who is she? She’s just a co-worker on the airlines company I’m working at. She was uhm, how could I say this? A complete bish? Yep that pretty sums her up.

I smiled at her, the most normal one I could muster despite the urge of just walking away from her with my ‘boyfriend’.

“Oh hi there Myung Hee. It’s nice to see you here.” I greeted her as my hand found its way around Hyukjae’s waist and pulled him close to me. I smirked inwardly when I noticed how she lost her composure for a second.

”Who is he?” She reprimanded as she crossed her arms across her chest, her eyes scanning Hyukjae who, much to my surprise, kept calm and even smiled at her.

He stretched his arm towards Myung Hee, still keeping his smile on his face. “Hi, I’m Lee Hyukjae, Hae’s boyfriend.” He introduced himself and I almost melted on the spot when I noticed how proud he was when he said that he’s my boyfriend.

Myung Hee’s eyebrows rose as she slowly held Hyukjae’s hand, shaking it for a split second before she let go. “Myung Hee. Bang Myung Hee.” She curtly said and shifted her gaze on me.

“I’ll see you around Lee Donghae,” She said then turned to my angel. “Lee Hyukjae.”

And with that, she turned around and walked away from us, her heels keeping on making annoying sounds every time she move her feet.

After making sure that she was finally nowhere in sight, I gave out a relieved sigh and turned to Hyukjae who was now glaring at me.

“I think I deserve a five-page essay with 0.5 spacing, Comic Sans MS, font size of 12, on long bond paper, hmm?” He seriously said and it scared the hell out of me I wasn’t able to fully understand his words. You should never mess with Lee Hyukjae. He’s a lot more dangerous than anyone I knew.

I was about to nod when I looked deep into his eyes and clearly saw the playfulness in them. He then grinned making me grin back as well, another sigh of relief stuck at the back of my throat.

That’s when I finally realized how stupid his words were.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

I decided to visit one of our classmates Yesung hyung, a dermatologist who is working at a derma clinic inside the mall. I was really surprised with his choice of profession but when I heard his reason, I wasn’t able to stop myself from laughing.

“I wanted to personally cure my baby brother Kyuhyun’s acne since it is his only hindrance from being a heartthrob.”

He explained and well, I felt sorry for him. His baby brother’s an epitome of evil. Heck Yesung hyung couldn’t even touch Kyuhyun’s philtrum without him being threatened thousands of times. Besides, Kyuhyun never wanted to be a heartthrob. It is enough for him to be stuck in front of his laptop playing computer games all day long or to be praised by only one person: his bunny Lee Sungmin. Yep, he’s the same Sungmin, Hyukjae’s best friend.

So yeah, I was on my way to the clinic when my phone rang. I picked out my phone from my pocket and was surprised to see who the caller was.

“Yesung hyung?”

“Hey Donghae where are you?” I was completely bewildered at his question. Did he sense that I’m gonna visit him today?

“At the mall. I’m supposed to surprise you but I guess it was you who surprised me. Are you a psychic or something?”

“I wish I am but no, I just saw that annoying girl wandering around the mall and knowing her, I thought that maybe you’re here.” He explained making my eyes wide as saucers. I stopped on my tracks and started frantically looking around for any sign of her. I’m really close with Yesung hyung that we kept in touch even after college that’s why he knows everything even about that girl.

“What should I do then?!” I panicked. That girl was surely a pain. She kept on following me around only to flirt with me despite my blunt actions of not being interested in her.

“I don’t know.” Yesung hyung immediately answered. “Why don’t you randomly grab someone and make her pretend to be your girlfriend or something?” He continued, his tone of voice completely telling me that he was not serious about his suggestion.

But I’m becoming frustrated dealing with Myung Hee. I ended the call after thanking him and without thinking twice I called the number my hand had been itching to dial the moment I sent him to his house that one fateful night.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

“So that was what pretty much happened a while ago.” I ended my story and stopped on my tracks when I noticed Hyukjae not walking beside or even behind me. I turned around and saw him few steps behind me, confusion written all over his face.

“But why me?” He asked.

Why him?

I myself also don’t know.

I went back to him and sighed. “I don’t know either. It’s just that.. you’re the first person that came into my mind when I thought of the idea.” I honestly explained. There was no point in lying to him anymore anyway.

He hummed in understanding as we once again continued to walk, making sure we’re close to each other just in case we’ll run into Myung Hee.

My phone started ringing catching our attention. I took my phone out and saw Yesung hyung’s name. I excused myself from Hyukjae and walked a bit far from him.

“Hyung?”

“I never thought you’ll take my suggestion seriously but.. why Lee Hyukjae?”

“W-What are you t-talking about?” I asked, completely puzzled. It was only a few minutes ago so how in the world did Yesung hyung know about it?

“You and Hyukjae are all over Facebook now. That Myung Hee girl made a status about your relationship and tagged both of you. You know how it works from there right?” My eyes widened in disbelief with what hyung told me.

Aish that girl! I swear I’m gonna grill her alive the next time I see her!

“Donghae?”

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Yesung hyung calling me. “I’m sorry hyung I just got lost with my thoughts.” I let out an exasperated sigh.

It’s nothing if I will be the one Myung Hee is messing with but she even included Hyukjae here. And that’s not something I will simply ignore.

“It’s alright. Listen, let’s meet and bring Hyukjae with you. I’ll wait for you at the coffee shop near our clinic.”

I bid Yesung hyung goodbye and finally hung up the phone. I could now feel a headache starting because of this mess. I walked back to Hyukjae with dropped shoulders.

“Hae what happened?” He asked and as I looked up, I felt a lot guiltier when I saw his eyes full of worry.

But wait…

Hae?

“D-Did you just call me H-Hae?” I asked dumbfounded, all of my worry thrown out for a second.

Much to my glee, he nodded as he looked down, his ears began to redden because of embarrassment.

“I-It’s just that w-well, I f-find Donghae r-really long to say and spell not t-that I always spell your n-name inside my m-mind but y-yeah. D-Don’t you like it?” He asked in a small voice and when he looked up, my breath hitched when my eyes were locked with his adorable pout and glassy eyes that reminded me of a small kicked puppy.

If he won’t stop being this cute I don’t know if I can control myself from not showering him with kisses.

I shook my head, a small smile appearing on my face. “No. I like it. But in return I’ll call you Hyukkie. Just to be fair.” I said and in an instant, I saw his pout turned into his signature gummy smile.

“Deal!” He chirped I couldn’t help but chuckle at his cuteness.

“Let’s go. Yesung hyung called and told me to meet him at the coffee shop. He said to take me with you and,” I paused making him look curiously at me. “Yesung hyung knew everything.”

 

We held hands as we made our way to the coffee shop and is it too much for me to say that I really enjoyed the way his hand fit into mine?

No?

Good.

 

 

As soon as we reached the shop, our eyes scanned and saw Yesung hyung waving at us with a small smile. I nudged at Hyukjae to go there first while I ordered for the two of us. Once finished, I went to them and settled on the vacant seat between Hyukkie (squeal!) and Yesung hyung.

“Hey hyung.” I greeted him with a heads up. He greeted me back with a smile that immediately turned into a serious expression. I saw how Hyukjae sent me a worried glance so I reached out a hand to him holding his only to squeeze it in assurance.

Yesung hyung sighed as he opened his phone and showed it to us. Hyukjae’s eyes widened then shifted his gaze on me with pure disbelief.

“W-What-“

“It’s that darn Myung Hee’s fault.” I muttered with a sigh as I pinched the bridge of my nose, my head once again starting to get hurt.

“W-What should we do now?” Hyukkie asked me, his face contorting into a frown.

I was about to answer when our drinks finally came interrupting us for a few seconds. I placed the straw on Hyukkie’s drink and gave it to him. He sent me a grateful smile enough to lighten my mood up that all I could do was smile dumbly back at him.

“Ugh you’re so sweet I’m having cavities already.” Yesung hyung side-commented as he faked a disgusted face the three of us ended up laughing.

“No seriously, what we should do?” My angel asked, his voice turning serious after the laughter had died down as he wiped the tears from his eyes from too much laughing.

I looked at Yesung hyung, silently asking him for help.

“I suggest you continue everything until that girl finally realizes that she really has no chance on you since you’re hopelessly and irreversibly in love with each other.” He said nonchalantly but my ears didn’t miss how he said the last part in such a meaningful way.

And I also noticed how Hyukkie froze for a second.

Could it be?

Keep on dreaming Lee Donghae.

Sigh.

“So…” Yesung hyung trailed off as he stared at me then at Hyukkie.

My angel shrugged. “That’s fine with me. I mean, it’s not like I have something to lose.” He answered then sipped on his cold drink. His eyes darted towards Yesung hyung who gave him a confused look.

“What I meant was I’m not in a relationship so no worries for me besides, I don’t care about other people.” He cleared out and hyung nodded in understanding then shot me a knowing look to which I just ignored.

“Wait I’ll just go to the washroom. Excuse me.” Hyukjae excused himself and waited for me to nod in approval before finally standing up and walking away.

Yesung hyung waited for Hyukkie to be out of sight before he turned to me with his serious face. “You’re in deep here man.” He said as he shook his head disapprovingly.

“I know.” I replied as I slumped on my seat. I knew this was such a bad idea after all.

“It will be better if it’s not Hyukjae. You know that right?”

“I know.”

He raised his brows at me. “Is that all you’ll say to me? I know?”

“What else can I say?” I retorted back.

Yesung hyung’s expression changed from serious to a worried one. Like what I have said before, I tell hyung everything. And I meant everything.

Yes, even my not-so-little crush on Hyukjae.

“You heard what he said? He said he’s got nothing to lose. But you Donghae, you’re an all-in.” He reminded me and honestly speaking he doesn’t even need to.

Yes I know I’m in a real deep this time and I also know if I’ll be able to get out of this.