Epilogue

One More (Probably the Last) Shot

DONGHAE’S POV

 

The airport was packed with people as always. The whole place was divided into two: the Arrival and the Departure area. I just came back from a flight and man I am so stressed out I could fall asleep even while standing. Looking around, I smiled when all I saw were smiles from those who were excitedly waiting for their loved ones plus the equally bright beam from those who finally came home. I separated from my co-attendants and some even teased me about having someone to pick me up instead of going with them through our shuttle bus like how I used to do before. Playfully sticking my tongue at them, I retorted that they’re just jealous and well, they couldn’t agree more.

Scanning the area, my lips twitched in a smile when I saw my baby pouting cutely while searching for someone. I fished my phone out of my bag and called him, my eyes focused on how he practically jumped at the ringing tone of his phone and how he hurriedly answered it.

“Please tell me you landed already but still in the airport waiting for me.”

“Hmm.. It depends. Why where are you?”

“I’m here at the Arrival area and I already saw your co-workers but you’re not with them! There had been an accident along the way so I was stuck in the traffic for about half an hour! Please tell me I’m not really late.”

I only hummed in response as I kept my eyes on Hyukkie while making my way towards him. He had his back me so he cannot see me. Stopping just right behind him, I spoke through my phone.

“It depends on what I will get in return after I have forgiven you.”

Whipping his head he turned towards me, his hand still holding his phone against his ear and eyes wide like saucers.

“Hae!”

Even before I could speak, he already jumped on me and good thing he weighs lightly so I was still able to maintain my balance and not fall on my against the tiled floor.

“Hyuk-“

He cut me when he suddenly kissed me full on the lips catching me in surprise, not really caring about all the people around us.

“Please tell me you won’t leave that long again. One week is hard but two months is pure torture!” He was breathless while his eyes were glassy with tears.

This is not the first time I took an international flight. But, we had to stay at Paris for some trainings so yeah, it took me two months before I came back. Apparently, our everyday Skype-ing weren’t enough for him.

“Yes princess.” I said and playfully pecked him on the lips. Once, twice, thrice, all the while he’s giggling cutely.

 

 

 

Hyukkie easily maneuvered his car out of the parking area, his face serious with concentration. I kept my eyes on him all the time.

“Do I have something on my face or I’m just that handsome that you can’t take your eyes off me?” He said after a while and I rolled my eyes.

“You’re not handsome. You’re pretty. There is a big difference.” I huffed but didn’t avert my eyes from him. I deliberately took in how he looked. His hair grew a little and the then-blond was now gray (and I love how he pulled off such color). He doesn’t really gain nor lost some weight because I always make it a habit to remind him to eat a lot (and healthily since he’s a er for sweets). Yes I always see his face during our video calls for the last two months but it’s still different to see him in person.

Damn I miss him so much I admit I am whipped

The car went to a stop and I noticed the traffic light turned red. He then faced me. “How many times do I have to tell you? I’m not pretty, I’m handsome. And I am very manly thank you very much.” He retorted and once again pressed on the gas pedal as the red turned to green.

I chuckled as I reached out and softly caressed his cheek with the back of my hand. “And yet you like it when I call you princess.”

“Shut up.”

 

 

 

Everything fell into place after our moment under the rain. Well, almost. Umma scolded us the minute we got home because we’re both drenched in the cold and our noses were already red. Sungmin hyung laughed at us because the next day, we fell sick and I had to stay over Hyukkie’s house so Umma can take care of us and they won’t even let me go back to my own house actually.

(“You live alone so who’s gonna take care of you? We can’t let Hyukkie look after you since he’s also sick and whenever he’s sick, he’s a hundred times worse than his usual self.” Sungmin hyung stated matter-of-factly and I could only silently agree with him.)

I actually courted Hyukkie after that. I took him to dates, went to his house to visit him (with Sungmin hyung and Umma in front of us casually listening to our conversations) and well, surprised him with all I could think of. They told me I spoiled my baby too much but I didn’t mind as long as I will get to see that twinkling eyes and bright gummy smile.

I told him I cannot accept his ‘yes’ to officially become his boyfriend unless I make efforts to show him my true feelings. Old-fashioned, yeah, but that way I can say that I truly deserve my Hyukjae. I don’t want him to feel that he easily gave himself to me making him feel low or whatsoever. Plus, won’t you treasure something or someone more if you will get them through hard work? Actually when I told him those I thought he will laugh at me but no. Instead, he hugged me real tight and I could actually say that he loved the idea.

After we officially became together, I introduced him to my family and though they barely showed any emotion, I know they’re happy for me and they accepted my Hyukkie to the family. Appa (Hyukkie’s Appa) came home and formally welcomed me to their family and I couldn’t get happier during that time. He only stayed for a month but before he left, he told me to always take care of his baby boy. I nodded, feeling proud to be given such trust and hugged him telling him to always take care.

Yesung hyung congratulated me telling me that he’s happy for me that I won’t be sulking over my unrequited love anymore even to the point of going to his house only to pest him there. He told me to take care of Hyukkie (and even threatened me to cut my junior if I will make Hyukjae cry.)

And I thought I’m his best friend.

 

 

 

“Hae?”

 

I woke up from my thoughts and saw Hyukkie looking weirdly at me while holding a spatula covered in tomato sauce. We’re currently at my house and he told me he will be cooking our dinner tonight.

“You’re spacing out again. After we eat you better go straight to bed. We’ll just catch up tomorrow morning.” He said and went back to stirring the sauce. He said it so casually but I know he’s worried about me. I smiled.

“I’m fine, don’t worry.”

He hummed in response but didn’t face me again.

“You know..” I started.

“What?”

“I’ve always imagined this scenario years ago but it is a lot better in reality.”

He turned off the stove and turned around to face me with raised brows. “Years ago? That was way back in our college days.”

I smiled sheepishly. “I may or may not have a crush on you back on college.” I mumbled as I bashfully scratched the non-existent itch on my nape.

He gaped at me. “Omo! So… you… you like me even during college?!”

“Why are you so surprised?” I frowned.

“I thought you liked me when we met at the mall! Oh my gosh those were the days when I’m old already but puberty still doesn’t do his magic on me! I looked hideous that time! Why would you like someone like me?!” He continuously whined as I made my way towards him.

 “Because you’re you.” I whispered and locked my lips with his, kissing him passionately.

 

Really, life couldn’t get better.