7th

One More (Probably the Last) Shot

HYUKJAE’S POV

 

My phone vibrated against the center table. My eyes immediately met Sungmin hyung’s and in a flash, we both dove towards it and I could only shout in victory when I saw my phone on my hand.

“Eat my dust Pink Bunny!” I shouted as I pointed at him with a proud beam on my face. He rolled his eyes at me as he plopped back to the sofa with a defeated frown.

Why we’re acting like this you ask? Well, this crazy best friend of mine kept on pestering me about my phone.

“Ever since you and Donghae became an item you no longer pay attention to me and just always stick your nose on your phone!”

I guess that pretty summed up everything.

So yeah, he wondered what my boyfriend had been texting me all the while that he even tried to steal my phone away from me.

Like I’m gonna let that happen. Psh.

As usual, a bright beam automatically lit up my face when I saw who texted me, and clicked the word ‘Open’ to read the message.

I miss my Hyukkie TwT

I giggled as I started typing my reply. I eyed my best friend and saw him scowling at me. I could only stick my tongue out at him.

Miss you too Hae but shouldn’t you be at work right now?

“Seriously, I feel like I’m watching a hormonal teenage girl who never gets tired of fangirling over her favorite oppa.”

“Whatever. You’re just jealous because your geek of a boyfriend never does these things.” I replied then grabbed a small slice of cantaloupe and popped it into my mouth. I beamed when I tasted the natural sweetness of the fruit. Strawberry may be my favorite but this fruit shall never be crossed out of my top 5.

Still scowling, Minnie hyung picked a slice for his self and put it into his mouth. I wonder if he’ll even appreciate the heavenly taste with that unattractive frown of his.

“My baby is romantic in his own ways. I just don’t react that way. You’re always exaggerating.” He pointed out.

I glared at him. “I am not exaggerating. I just want to be myself.”

“But you know what,” He paused, the tone of his voice becoming serious. “I still don’t get it. I mean, yeah you and Donghae explained everything but, why you? And why did you agree? I never thought you’ll be the type to help him.”

I stared at him, confused on what he’s pinpointing. As if he’s reading my mind he sighed.

“Why you helped Lee Donghae. He’s like, the most uninteresting person there is for you back in college.” He explained and I froze on my seat. Remember my monologue during the previous chapters? I really never told anyone about my small infatuation on Donghae, not even Sungmin hyung.

“Everything doesn’t have sense to me. You accidentally ran into each other at the mall and he surprisingly acted all friendly towards you and even spent the whole day together. You got each other’s phone numbers then out of the blue he’ll call you for help which was to act as his boyfriend because of some annoying bish.” He then looked straight into my eyes that I can only tear my gaze away from him. I could never lie to him, or to anyone for that matter. I’m the worst liar in the world you know.

“I smell something fishy and Donghae’s not even here at the moment.” With squinting eyes, he stood up and transferred beside me. All the while I could feel his eyes boring holes into me.

“Hyung..”

“You’re not telling me something.”

I sighed. Well, this is Sungmin hyung. I know sooner or later he’ll find out about everything.

“I..” I started and gulped audibly. Like a small kid, I looked at him and cringed when I saw him looking expectedly at me.

“IkindoflikedDonghaebackincollege.” I said in one breath.

“What?” He furrowed his brows.

“I kind of liked Donghae back in college.” I repeated a lot slower than before. I kept my head down, not daring on knowing his reaction.

Silence followed and he didn’t say anything for the past few minutes. Gathering my courage, I slowly looked up and saw him smiling gently at me.

Wait.

Smiling gently?

“..Hyung?”

“What?” He asked, still smiling at me. I stared intently at him looking for some teasing but his smile was genuine.

“..You’re not angry?”

“Why should I?”

“I never told you anything about it.”

Surprisingly, he just took my hand and held it tightly, like how he always does whenever he’s comforting me. “I am the worst best friend someone could have if I wasn’t able to see that little crush of yours under all your indifference and sarcastic remarks towards him.” He explained with a smile that didn’t last long when it was replaced with a worried expression. “But this set-up of yours, why did you agree? Don’t you know what you’re risking here?”

I gave a defeated sigh. Of course I know it. I know it very well.

I didn’t say anything and just looked helplessly at him. He cooed me as he pulled me towards him and enveloped my thin body with his warmth.

“I know you’re happy and everything with this so-called relationship of yours but please, I don’t want you to be the one who’ll end up hurt. It’s your heart that’s at stake here.” He whispered while I remained silent. What should I say? Everything he said was right. Once the pretence was over, me and Donghae will be back to friends or mere acquaintances once again.

“I never intended for things to turn out like this.” I said weakly as I pulled away from him. “When I heard the desperation in his voice that day plus the way he held me, all of my rational thoughts flew out of the window and all I did was nod at him.” I continued.

“I thought after all those years, seeing him again won’t do anything to my heart but it was the exact opposite. I always remind myself that I must not fall for him but this stupid heart’s being stubborn.”

That’s the truth. I kept on telling myself that I’m emotionally strong. I was able to put my emotions for him on hold before and I’m planning on doing it again but, like an animal in a cage, those emotions struggled to be free. Because of those things he did to me, even though I know that they’re fake or were done out of mere friendship, the butterflies in my stomach couldn’t help themselves but to make me feel their presence. He kept on making my heart skip a beat with just a small smile from him, a smile that I swore was more eye-blinding than a mega-watt bulb in the middle of a dark room. His strong arms, when they wrapped me in a tight embrace, made me sigh contentedly because of the warmth and the security they gave.

“You love him.” I gave my best friend a glance and nodded briefly. I love him and there’s no use denying it anymore but, where will this emotion take me after all this fiasco?

“Did you try talking to him?”

I shook my head. I don’t even know what or how to talk to him about this. I mean, I’m just a new-found friend from a past that he just stumbled upon one boring day. There’s no way he’ll even pay such special attention to me or to what I’m feeling. It’s also my fault since I already gave him my assurance that this set-up won’t affect me at all and I know I have to stand up to my words.

“Then try. It’s almost two months. I’m sure everyone especially that girl had forgotten about your little show. I guess it’s time to settle everything.” He advised and suddenly, like a bucket of cold water was poured on me.

I couldn’t do it. Not because I can’t but because I don’t want to. I love him and being in this fake relationship is the only way to be with him. I know it’s very selfish of me but I don’t think I could take it if he’ll just disappear from my life after this. Let’s face it, how in the world can we still be friends after all of this? Those dates, skinships, couple things, the occasional hugs we do whenever Umma was around –yeah she didn’t know that our relationship’s fake- those small displays of affection whenever we’re out for fear of someone we know will accidentally see us, how can I still act natural and comfortably around him? All the while we’re doing it, there was only one thought on my mind and that was the wish for everything to be true, that he’s doing this because he loves me and not because he’s supposed to be for our ‘relationship’.

“Minnie hyung..” I called out and like the supporting brother he was, he said nothing and just once again pulled me to his embrace and started rubbing small circles on my back to calm me down. I know he’s also doing this to assure me that no matter what will happen, he’ll always gonna be here for me and I couldn’t get any grateful for that.