1st

One More (Probably the Last) Shot

DONGHAE’S POV

I maneuvered my car to a perfect spot and checked myself on the mirror before heading out. This is one of those days when I hate being alone. Having a high paying job is good but spending your day off-alone is torturous. Well, for me that is.

I’m not used being alone but since I just broke up with my girlfriend of two years just few days ago, I’m all by myself and I can’t help but feel lonely and empty. But I guess it’s for the best. I mean, yes I do like her and her company but that doesn’t mean that I really did love her.

Am I being cruel? I guess I am.

She did love me and I really tried my best to love her back but, nothing happened. How can I fall when all I could think of is that certain someone?

Him.

It’s been ages since I started falling for him though I’m not really sure when. Second year in college? Or was it third? And I’m already a degree-holder for two years. It’s been that long huh?

I feel like a fool.

I’m Lee Donghae. I’m the university’s number one guy. Girls and even guys swoon over me every time I pass by them. All of my professors always give me the perks when it comes to school works even though I really don’t need them. Hey, being popular doesn’t mean I slacked off with my studies.

Almost half of the school’s population confessed to me even though I myself was in a relationship with a girl I was surprised I was head over heels before. Heck some of them even bravely told me they’re willing to leave their lovers if I’ll agree to be with them. How sick was that?

My friends were somewhat envious of me because of the attention but did I enjoy it?

No.

Why?

Because he’s not one of them.

 

 

I sighed as I descended the stairs and walked straight to the mall’s entrance. I smiled briefly at the security as I passed by him and wandered aimlessly at the now crowded shopping mall. I guess I should just buy some clothes for a change?

Now where was I?

Ah, yes. Him.

 

Everyone’s attention was always on me except for his. Frustrating right? I don’t need them. I only wanted him. I only needed him. But life surely is cruel.

He never once showed interest in me. Every time we crossed paths, all we did was insult each other. Nothing serious of course, but that’s it. We’re not enemies but we’re not friends either. We’re just.. mere acquaintances since we’re classmates.

What hurts me more is the fact that it seemed like he doesn’t want to have anything to do with me. He kept on ignoring me, like I don’t even exist when his friends will greet me casually. Of course there were instances where it can’t be helped, like that time when we’re on the same team for the whole semester. I was really happy that time but he, on the other hand, looked extremely bored, or annoyed.

I really wondered but as time passed by, I found out why.

He hated attention. He knew that being around me will attract attention and he hated it. He only had his small circle of friends and that’s it.

But that is what I love the most about him.

He doesn’t care what other people will think of him. If he wanted to do something, he’ll do it without the fear of thinking that he’s weird or whatnot. He lives in his own world where all that matters are him, his family, and friends.

I scanned my eyes around, looking for any familiar shop and randomly went inside the store closest to me. I continued to roam around, trying to find something interesting while the staffs particularly the girls kept on giggling as they looked at me.

I sighed.

I took one last look and saw them smiling flirtatiously at me. I stared back blankly and went out of the store. The last thing I needed right now is women flirting with me.

 

Now that I remember it, he was not in a relationship during our college years and from what I heard, he has never been in one before. But that didn’t make me feel secured since I don’t know what his type on a lover is.

Did anyone court him? None to my relief.

It’s not that he was not attractive or ugly. He’s actually very good looking except he doesn’t know how to fix his self and, he has that intimidating aura around him to which he’s really unconscious of. He has that look that if you’re not good enough then you don’t deserve to be his friend. That’s why a lot of people often misjudge him whenever they’ll meet him for the first time but if you’ll get to know him more, you’ll realize how crazy he really is.

He’s not just good with socializing with other people.

Damn I sounded like a stalker aren’t I?

It’s just that all I could do back then was to watch him from afar.

 

I once again walked around the mall, not really knowing where to go when my eyes caught someone very, very familiar. I felt my heartbeat fastened as my steps quickened in attempt of reaching that person. My breath became ragged as I passed people by, not even bothering to say my apologies for I’m too focused on him afraid that he’ll get lost when I’ll take my eyes off him.

Yes. After two long years, I finally saw him, again.

I stretched out my hand as I finally reached him and grabbed his wrist. He turned around, surprise and fear evident on his face while I panted and smiled tiredly at him.

“D-Donghae?”

I felt all of my weariness fade away when I once again heard his angelic voice say my name. I smiled widely this time and I’m sure he’s already freaking out.

“It’s been a while, Hyukjae.”

 

 

 

He frantically scanned the surroundings and saw a lot of eyes on us like we’re some kind of a Korean drama, not that I cared. He fidgeted in his place as he tried wriggling his arm out of my grasp. I heaved a sigh and went closer to him. I stared straight to his eyes and felt myself getting lost in his beautiful brown eyes; those same eyes that only mirror pure kindness and innocence, those orbs that I was afraid of looking into, afraid that I might just fall for him deeper.

“Let’s talk somewhere okay?” I asked before I could lose my voice and he nodded slowly. Still holding his wrist, I led him to a small coffee shop and let him take a seat by the glass window. I sat down in front of him and offered him a small smile.

“What would you like to drink?” I asked and he just smiled at me.

“Surprise me.”

I grinned and proceeded to the counter, ordering myself a White Chocolate Frappucino and for him, Strawberries ‘N Cream. I paid for it and went back to our table. He looked completely lost on what’s happening. Of course why wouldn’t he? Out of nowhere I grabbed him and acted all friendly on him.

“Uhm..”

“Yes?”

“What’s happening?” He asked confusedly and I can’t help but chuckle.

“Why? Is it wrong for me to talk to my classmate?”

“Well for starters, we’re not close so it didn’t hit my mind that we’ll be talking like this.” Ah, still straightforward as ever. I was about to respond when the counter called my name. I stood up and picked our orders then turned back towards him.

I suddenly stopped on my steps and I took the time to observe him from afar. He changed a lot. He dyed his hair platinum blond, his skin looked softer and more flawless and he definitely dressed a lot better than before. He’s currently wearing a black long sleeved V-neck shirt accenting his pale white skin and faded gray skinny jeans that was ripped on the thigh area plus white high-cut sneakers. My eyes once again travelled to his face and gulped when I saw how plump his lips are. He’s currently looking outside giving me his side profile. I noticed how pointed his nose and defined his jaw line were that it somehow made his soft features a little sharp and manly. How he can be beautiful and handsome at the same time is beyond my knowledge.

I cleared my throat and strode towards him. I sat down and placed our drinks in front of us catching his attention. When he saw his drink, I swear I saw his eyes shone I can’t help but compare him to a kid who was given a reward.

“Waahh this is my favorite! Thanks Donghae!” He exclaimed and happily started sipping his drink.

I smiled gently as I stared at him enjoying his drink. If only I had the courage way back our college days then maybe I was able to see this side of him sooner. I sighed at my thought.

“Hey you okay?” Hyukjae asked me. Maybe he heard me? I nodded and smiled reassuringly.

He placed his drink down the table and cleared his throat. “So.. How are you doing?” He attempted to start a conversation and I was actually surprised. He chuckled because apparently, that shock was clearly seen on my face.

“Am I that much of an asocial you’re actually that surprised?” My angel asked between his chuckles and I just nodded dumbly at him.

“Well,” He started as he adjusted himself on his seat. “People change you know. I’m actually pretty surprised myself considering it was you I’m talking to.” Hyukjae nonchalantly said. I stared at him as I registered his words inside my brain. He froze when he realized his words and wait, did he blush?

“I ahm I mean we n-never t-talked c-casually before r-right? H-Hehehe..” He nervously said as he scratched his nape awkwardly. I blinked confusedly but let it slip away.

“I’m fine.”

“E-Eh?” He was caught off-guard with my words.

“You’re asking me how I’m doing right? So I said I’m fine.” I explained with a smile. He smiled back but immediately frowned.

“I ahm.. I heard about your recent break-up. Are you sure you’re okay?” He asked me cautiously and when I stared straight into his eyes, all I saw were worry and concern. He’s not doing this for gossip or anything. I scoffed inside my mind. Yeah like he’s interested enough to know gossips about me.

“Really, I’m fine. Don’t worry about it.” I replied with a wave of my hand as I took a sip of my drink, trying to calm my heart down from the emotions I saw from him.

“She went here to Korea and met up with Sungmin hyung so I kind of knew about your break-up. Hyung said she was devastated.” He continued and all I could do was nod. I knew about how she was. When she came back here, my mom was the first person she called and met up with. But nothing will change my mind. If I’ll keep this relationship going, I’ll just hurt her even more.

We stayed silent for a while until I heard him sigh and stood up. I looked up at him and saw him smiling down on me.

“Come let’s take a walk.” He offered with his blinding gummy smile I always love. I nodded and stood up as well, abandoning our half-empty drinks.

 

“What are you doing here actually?” He asked me as we walked around, looking at nothing in particular. “Don’t you have work?” He continued curiously. I smiled at his cuteness. Good Lord he’s too adorable I’m afraid he might be the death of me.

“Have you ever heard of day-off?” I instead making him unconsciously pout.

“Yah!” He playfully nudged me with his elbow and I can’t help but laugh out loud. He’s too cute when he’s annoyed. Is there even a time when he’s not cute at all? I don’t think so.

“How about you?” I asked in return once my laugh settled down and he just grinned at me.

“I just came here to buy something that’s all.” He answered and looked on his watch. “I better go now. It was very nice running into you here.” He continued as he gave me a small smile. I smiled back in return but I can’t help but feel lonely once again. This might be the last time I’ll ever see him again and I can’t let that happen. I’ve lost him once. I’m not letting him go away from me once again.

“You know what I think I’ll just go with you.”

He was surprised with my words and looked skeptically at me.

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll just accompany you.” I shrugged and turned my back on him. I bit my lip in attempt of hiding the grin as to not look creepy. The last thing I want to do is creep him out.

“Let’s go.” I said and started walking away from him. I smiled a little when I heard quick footsteps approaching me and felt a small tug on my shirt. I subtly looked behind me and saw him walking timidly behind me with a small blush on his cheeks and his hand holding onto my shirt. He looks like a small kid right now I wondered why he was never like this before.

I stopped abruptly and because he was looking down, he bumped his head against my back. He let out a soft ‘ouch’ and I’m sure he’s pouting right now. I reached for his hand and loosened his grip on my shirt. He let out a gasp and tried to pull his hand away. Maybe he thought I don’t like it? But instead of letting go, I slid my hand to his and intertwined our fingers together.

“Much better.” I mumbled and continued walking, a small satisfied smile seen on me.