Blames

The truth behind an accident

~Blames~

"The superior man blames himself, the inferior man blames others." ~Don Shula

 

 

“Please... please..." I begged as I paced up and down outside the operation room. Baekhyun was sitting by a bench, leaning against the wall with his hands cupping his face. It was apparent that he was badly shaken by this accident. After Yoona was rushed off to the hospital with her father, Baekhyun was left behind to clear up the situation. Very evidently, the ceremony could not continue without a bride. After a quick discussion, Baekhyun decided to dismiss the crowd as he was left with no choice.

"Baekhyun?" I tapped him on his shoulder. He looked up at me solemnly.

"Why? Why must it happen?" He muttered softly and looked down again. I handed him a cup of hot chocolate which I bought for him from the vending machine.

"Thanks." He replied numbly, taking a few sips. Out of the blue, the operation door slid open. Two surgeons wearing face mask stepped out. They removed their masks as Baekhyun rushed towards them with anticipation.

"Tell me! Tell me! How is Yoona?" Baekhyun shook one of the surgeon's shoulders so vigorously that I had to stop him before the surgeon's spectacles fell off.

"I am sorry, Mr Byun. We tried our best."

"NO!! You didn't! Get back in and save her!" Baekyunscreamed and tried pushing the surgeons back into the operation room.

"Stop! Baekhyun! Get a hold of yourself please! Look at yourself, what are you doing?" I demanded. Yoona's father, who was apparently very depressed, came forward to stop Baekhyun too.

"Let's just go in and see Yoona, please?" I suggested.

A white sheet was drawn over the corpse. Baekhyun pulled it away slowly, his heart broke once again, seeing his lover lying lifelessly, ready to be sent to the morgue. As I stood beside Yoona, I swore to find the killer. That driver. That caller. Whoever he or she was, I must find him.


~.~

"I am sorry Baekhyun. My Condolences. ” I handed Baekhyun a bouquet of chrysanthemums. The irony hit me when I recalled that less than 3 days ago, I had just given Yoona and Baekhyun a bouquet of roses.

“Thanks.” There were obvious eye circles under Baekhyun eyes. and he seemed worn out.
“I will never forgive that caller, nor that driver. Idiot!” Baekhyun cursed as he laid the flowers down on a wooden table. He had apparently been badly affected by this incident as there were dark eye circles under his eyes. I was too. However, I tried my best not to show it. Yoona was my best friend since I met her in Junior College. We had since sworn an oath to live till we see each other marry, find jobs and have children. Yet, now…

“Any idea who the caller was?”
“The police are investigating now. I hope they get back to me soon.” Then, Baekhyun suddenly glanced around and his lowered his voice to a whisper.
“I already have my suspicions.”

“Who?!” I blurted out a little too loudly, attracting some unwanted attention. Covering my mouth in shame, I edged nearer to Baekhyun’s lips.

“I can’t be sure yet. But… I will tell you one day.”

"Why?"
"The walls have ears." Soon, Baekhyun started welcoming a group of visitors who were foriegn to me, except for someone who I supposed was Chanyeol.

~.~

“This was originally a gift I bought for Yoona.” Baekhyun sighed and I wandered around in the penthouse. It was majestic and it would undoubtedly have costed him millions. I took a seat on the couch while Baekhyun poured a cup of orange juice for both of us.

“So, who do you suspect?” I asked, eager to get the conversation started. It had been a week since Yoona’s death and I was determined to find out the truth fast.

“Erm…” Baekhyun debated a little uncertainly.

“Hey! Come on, you know you can trust me!”

“Fine, alright.. I have been suspecting my closest friends.”

“Okay, who?”

“More specifically my university friends. Suho, Sehun, D.O., Kai and even Chanyeol.”
“Chanyeol! Wasn’t he your bridegroom?”

Ignoring me, Baekhyun continued," You should know that me, Yoona and the 5 them all got to knew each other due to a university course we took. They all once admitted to me that they like Yoona. Especially Chanyeol and that’s why I invited him to be my bridegroom, such that at least he had a part in Yoona’s wedding. However, perhaps not informing them of this wedding might have been better.”
“How can you invite your love rival to your wedding to be your… Oh my goodness.” I sighed.

“And just because they liked Yoona, you suspect them? But how can all five of them happen to like Yoona?” I challenged.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean all five. Rather, I was referring to Chanyeol, Suho and Kai only. D.O. and Sehun are closer to the 3 of them than to me, hence it is relatively likely that they will side them.”.
“But why would they want Yoona dead?”

“As of that, I am rather bewildered too. But, that’s not the point, is it? Look here.” Baekhyun pulled out an I-phone 5S which had a silver cover dotted with crystals and I immediately recognised it to be Yoona's.
“See, I have been reading through Yoona’s text messages to find clues. And especially her chat with those 5 boys. Read her chat with the 3 of them. D.O and Sehun never talked to her before though.

 

~.~

Chanyeol: Hey Yoona! Congratulations, you are getting married! Care to have a coffee with me this friday? To celebrate the last week of being single?
Yoona: Err, okay I guess. Where can I locate you?
Chanyeol: You don’t need to, I will find you. P.S. Bacon isn’t around on friday night, is he?

Yoona: Nah, He is rarely home nowadays.

Chanyeol: Sad to hear that. Maybe you might really have made the wrong choice picking him.

Yoona: Don’t ever say that again!


~.~

Suho: Yoona, any idea how to do today’s project work question?
Yoona: Sure, are you forgetting to wish me something?
Suho: Oh of course, I will never forget! Congrats on your coming marriage!

Yoona: Haha, Thanks!

Suho: Hmm, can you meet me at the end of this week? Preferably friday night? I have a gift for you!


~.~

Kai: Yoona! How sad it is to see you getting married. Still, I shall not be selfish and I will hereby wish you a happy marriage. However, will you please spare me some time on friday night, I have something to take to you about. Please?

~.~

“Wow! This is weird! Yoona will sure be busy last friday night. Any idea Yoona met who in the end?” I asked, looking up from her phone.
“No, I was away at a conference. Wish I had paid more attention to her.” Baekhyun sighed.

“They were the last people who contacted her, since our wedding was directly the next day.”

“Seems relatively suspicious, having everyone trying to meet her on the same day, at night too!”
“Yeah! That Nokia phone, no one has any idea how it came about either. The police couldn't trace the call either. I suppose the caller must have used a disposable phone or public phone. I really wondered what Yoona heard, I wish I had been the one picking up that call.”

“Never mind, blaming won’t work now, will it? Hopefully, we can solve this and bring peace to Yoona.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Corner

 

Omg! I seriously hope this story is interesting enough. Hmm.. perhaps I shouldn't mark it as a one shot afterall.