Pretentious

The truth behind an accident

Pretentious

"Pretentious people are like cross stitch pieces, they look fine and pretty at the front. But twisted and messed up at the back."

 

"Byun Baekhyun?' The man gave a glance at Luhan, lying at the foot of the bed. His face betrayed no emotions even when his name was called. 

"You don't have to do this." Luhan persuaded between his last breaths.

"First, it was Yoona. Then, Kai. Now, even you! A mere stranger, trying to stop me and Jihae from being together! Once you idiots are gone, Jihae will be mine." Baekhyun sniggered, throwing Luhan a pathetic look. 

"Even... at the extent... of your kin?" Luhan asked, his voice almost reduced to a whisper. 

"Kin? I have no kins. Not after my parents dead. No siblings either. What in the world are you trying to get at?" Baekhyun asked with displeasure and rolled his eyes. Yet, he was interested in this conversation. 

"You..." With that, Luhan lost consciousness.  His hands slumped onto the floor and his eyes closed gradually. It wasn't death. It was simply because Luhan was fully paralyse. He could no longer control his muscles, not even stop his eyes from closing. Now, Luhan was lying at the mercy of Baekhyun. Baekhyun paced around the helpless body. And sighed. What a pity! He wanted to hear what Luhan had to say, but now, it looks like no one would have the chance to. Out of the blue, the handphone on the bed caught Baekhyun's attention. Its screen was brightly litted, and Baekhyun was reminded of the conversation Luhan was having with someone over the phone. Baekhyun scurried to the bed and swiftly scrolled through the call history.

Last call: 12:10am  Jihae   

"I can't believe my luck!" Baekhyun cursed. He had to be quick. Luhan might have tipped Jihae off. He had to finish the job fast and clean, before someone catches him in this room. Jihae will never forgive him. Never. But that is, if she ever finds out. Baekhyun glanced at the clock. It was 12: 29 already. The police might appear anytime. He was not prepared to fail. He almost did when the police turned up at Kai's house a few minutes after the job was done. Luckily, Baekhyun was clever enough to spin a tale, that he had discovered Kai's body. Baekhyun was sure that there was a traitor among them. But now, there was no time to consider this. He had it all planned. Luhan's "accidental" death. He discarded his plan on using the knife. He had no time. He quickly pocketed the knife first, in fear that the police may find it. Slipping his hands into his pocket, he pulled out a bottle of sleeping pills. He had used it to help himself fall asleep for consecutive nights for now, since Yoona's death. Yoona's face, Kai's face had been haunting him. Now, Luhan's face will too. However, Baekhyun was undaunted. 

Baekhyun pulled Luhan up and lean him against the frame of his bed. He tilted Luhan's chin backwards and stuffed 3 sleeping pills down his throat. Returning to the kitchen, Baekhyun grabbed a jug of water and washed the sleeping pills down Luhan's throat. This continued until a bottle of 24 pills was reduced to 15 pills. Finally contented, Baekhyun glanced at the clock once more. 12:36am. Time was running out. He rushed to the bathroom and left the water flowing as it filled the bath tub. Meanwhile, he went back to Luhan's bedroom, and after much struggles, Baekhyun dragged Luhan to bathroom door. Pushing it wide open, he lifted Luhan up and pushed him into the bath tub, which was half filled by now. Police sirens could be heard and Baekhyun's heart thumped even faster. The fact that Luhan's apartment was on the 10th floor only bought him a minute or so. Hopefully, the water would drown Luhan before the police arrive. Baekhyun prayed. He quickly returned to Luhan's room to clean up the mess and most importantly, pick up the syringe. As a last attempt, Baekhyun took away Luhan's phone too. Then, he exited Luhan's apartment, swiftly. Suddenly, Luhan's phone rang. Caller ID: Jihae.

~.~

"Oh pick up, please?" I prayed, tapping her fingers fervently against her table. I sighed when no one did. Never did I expect, Baekhyun to be on the other end of the phone, clutching Luhan's phone nervously and switching it to silent mode. Just then, I received a call too. Unknown caller. 

"Hello?"

"Go save Luhan!" the voice on the other end warned, his voice was soft, barely louder than a whisper. Apparently, this person did not want to have his voice being recognised.

"How? I don't have his address? And who in the world are you?" I demanded worriedly. 

"28 Old Oaks Street, Waterfall Bay Building. Level 10-396." Immediately, the line went dead. I frowned. It was almost as if this person had Luhan's address at the back of his mind. Nevertheless, there was no time to lose. I was surprised to see a cab available at the wee hours of the day. It was parked by the taxi stand.

"Where you're going?" The driver asked. He had a cap and a shades covering his face. However, now was not the time for me to judge.

"28 Old Street, Water Bay Building or something?" I recited, cursing myself for not writing the address down.

"Old Oak Street? Waterfall Bay Building?" The driver guessed. 

"Oh yes, sorry. " I agreed. 

~.~

Baekhyun took the lift down while the police stepped into the other available lift. Upon stepping out of Waterfall Bay Building, Baekhyun realised the need for an alibi. He called Jihae. With his phone. 

~.~

"Erm, sir, sorry. How long more will we reach?" I asked, trying not to betray my impatientence.

"20 minutes." I sighed in disgust. By then, the police might have sealed up the crime scene already, and Luhan... Luhan...

Ring.. Ring...

I pulled out my phone. It was Baekhyun. Luhan's last words made me paused for a second. At last, I decided it will be no harm just to pick up a call.

"Baekhyun?"

"Jihae?"

"Yup, what's up?"

"I had a nightmare." I sighed in annoyance. Who had time to listen to his little nightmare? Somehow, I wished this whole thing was a nightmare. Still, I decided to be nice.

"What happened?" I asked with feigned concern.

"It wasn't the nightmare that feared me. When I woke up just now, I realised that my front door was open. I am afraid that the killer who got Kai and Yoona, may soon come after us. After me."

"Oh no!" I was alarmed.

"Stay in your room. Quick and lock it. The same thing happened to Luhan too!" I practically screamed in his ears. I didn't had the chance to warn Luhan, but now, I was in the position to save Baekhyun. On the other hand, Baekhyun was listening intently. As he expected, Jihae knew about Luhan's break-in. However, it was better to find out how much Jihae knew.

"What?! What happened to Luhan?" 

"I... don't know actually. I rang the police, need me to ring the police for you too?" 

"NO! I mean, sorry, I shall listen to you. Lock myself in my room. I will be safe like that, no need to trouble the police."

"Okay then, be careful. I don't want anybody else to be in danger." The line went dead.

Finally, we neared the building. I went to the 10th floor, dismayed to realise that I forgot the door number. However, I soon realised there was no need for it as there were a few policemen parked outside a particular door. I rushed towards it and tried making my way in. However, the policeman barred my way.

"Stay where you are, girl."

"My friend is inside! And I was the one who made the report." I almost yelled. Finally, the policeman was convinced and let me in. I saw a few policemen nucleated around a certain door and I made my way towards it. One of them realised my presence as I peered over their shoulders into the bath room.

"Hey! Why are you in here?" He demanded.

"Where's my friend? Where's Luhan?" 

"You were the one who reported this?" I nodded my head. The bathroom was empty as far as I saw, what caught my attention was just an overflowing bath tub.

"He is brought to the hospital already. Chances of survival are low. Come here with me, I gotta take down your statements." With that, I followed the policeman to the living hall.

"Which hospital?" I continued to pester.

"Sorry, we can't reveal that. If you are his immediate kin, they will inform you." 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Corner

Things are getting a little too obvious i suppose.