Witness

The truth behind an accident

Witness

Finally, the man laid back onto the seat on his cab. He glued his eyes on Jihae as she walked into Waterfall Bay Building, never once blinking. Once Jihae was safe, he heaved a sigh of relief. Something caught his eyes. It was a shadow. Moving discreetly and running across the carpark. The man blinked a few times and straightened his back to get a better view. Finally, the shadow neared the cab. With his eyes still on the shadow, the man registered familiarity in its movements. It was someone he knew. The owner of the shadow came to light when he ran past under a street light, it was him. Byun Baekhyun.

"Knew it." The man's lips curved into a smile. He fished out his phone to take a picture just before Baekhyun blended back into the darkness again. This evidence alone was insufficient, yet its usefulness is undoubted. 

~.~

Baekhyun smiled. All he had to do, was to return home as soon as possible. He had an alibi. He had everything he needed. However, he decided to drop off at a nearby hotel first. There, he precariously removed his gloves and threw them in the bin. Next, he washed his hands and arms with soap. He sprinkled some water on his hair to make them look neat. Now, he was ready to head home for a good 

~.~

 

Baekhyun slipped into his apartment. It was pitch dark in there and with the flick of a switch, light flooded the whole room. Removing his shoes, he proceeded to taking a shower. Finally, he was ready to curl up in bed with a good book. He scanned the bookshelf for a book which suits his current emotions. At last, he pulled out an inspirational book --- The Timekeeper. As he paced towards his bed, a desk photo frame drew his attention away from his book. He sat down by his bed and picked up the photo frame, before mulling over it. It was a 2 frames-in-1. In one of the frames, was a picture of Yoona, donned in a beautiful gown. In the other, was a photo of him, which was taken less than 3 months ago while he was giving one of his talks. He was smartly dressed in a suit. Any passer-by would feel that this was a  pair of perfect couple. But this was not so for him. Baekhyun groaned. He pulled out Yoona's photo from the frame. With that, he began his search for that photo. Taken many, many years ago, his only photo of Jihae when they were young.

"Finally!!" Baekhyun gasped in relief upon finding the photo. He blew away the layers of dust caked on it. Gingerly, he replaced Yoona's photo with this. 

"This is much better!" Satisfied, Baekhyun returned back to The Timekeeper while he flung Yoona's photo into the trash can not far away. 

~.~

I frowned.

It would be impossible for me to know which ward Luhan was at. But that is if he ever makes it. I sighed. As I left Luhan's apartment dejectedly, I started pondering over that phone call. Who was it that tipped me off? About Luhan's address. For without that call, I would still be sitting at home, desperately finding ways to contact Luhan or find his address. Could it be Luhan's relative or friends? For that person seemed to know Luhan's address very well, judging from the speed it was recited at. Definitely suspicious.

After walking one round around the hospital, I failed to locate Luhan. Dejectedly, I decided to head home. For a moment, I debated to drop by to check on Baekhyun. What if the killer had caught up with him? Unable to set my mind at ease, I headed to Baekhyun's house.

~.~

To Baekhyun's outmost surprise, the doorbell rang, just as he closed his book and decided to retire for the night. He paced to the door and peered through the peephole. It was Jihae! A wonderful surprise! He opened the door immediately.

"Baekhyun! You're fine!" I beamed.

"Thanks a lot for coming over! I missed you." Baekhyun stretched out his hands to give me a hug. 

"Come on in. Tell me what happened to Luhan. Although I dislike him, I wouldn't wish for any misfortune to befall him." 

I started filling him with the details of the whole incident, about how Luhan was attacked in his room. Baekhyun listened with great intent, worry gnawed him as he realised I made a perfect witness to this whole incident. After a cup of tea, I was ready to leave his house.

"Jihae! Stay for the night, it's already 2:40am, its dangerous for you to head home alone. I have a guest room here." The thought of finally a good rest convinced me to stay for the night. After tucking me in bed, Baekhyun headed back to his room, contemplating his next move.