9: You were the one

Apple of my Eye

Jiho’s POV

 

“Well, Ms Park, what a timely entrance,” was the greeting I got from Mrs Jung, our Physics teacher. She was scribbling some stuff on the whiteboard, but I didn’t give it any attention. I actually thought she hadn’t seen me, until she opened . I’d rather she didn’t, because she was one of the most sarcastic teachers I have ever met, and considering that I wasn’t in her good books, I’d probably get a lashing out if I do the slightest thing wrongly.

 

If I was feeling grumpy and moody today, I would’ve argued with her, but today I was feeling especially happy; the happiest I’ve ever been since last Tuesday when I got the news. So, I just ignored her and strolled into the class towards my seat. As I walked, I could see that most of my classmates were staring, probably wondering where I had been for the past seven days. I didn’t pay much attention to them, mainly because I had never spoken to them. The only one I was focusing on right now was Chanyeol.

 

As I took my seat beside him, I could feel him staring down at me. I didn’t have to turn to know he was. “What happened to you?” he asked, sounding a little concerned. I haven’t thought of how I was going to do this yet- how do I tell someone that my father died recently? Sure, it came out naturally when I told Sehun, but that was because Sehun was different. I felt sorry for Chanyeol, because he had proved to be a worthy enough friend even by the first day I knew him, but I doubt that I would be as comfortable around him.

 

“What? One moment we’re hanging out eating pizza and the next you’re ignoring me?” he commented, acting hurt. I turned to face him before softly pinching his arm. He made a face as though it hurt. I rolled my eyes and told him to shut up before Mrs Jung killed us both.

 

Later, when it was our second break of the day, me and Chanyeol made our way to the canteen slowly. I managed to avoid having to tell him the whole process of what happened during lesson time, but now that it was break time, I was feeling nervous all over again. I hated talking about emotional stuff. I just wasn’t used to it.

 

“So…” he started. I braced myself for him to ask me what happened yet again, but he didn’t, not really. “Why were you late today?”

 

It wasn’t as bad as having to explain to him about my father, but I didn’t know how to answer him about this either. Oh well, just the usual. Sehun came over and we slept on my bed together and made breakfast because we’re pigs, that’s why we’re late. I doubt that that would make Chanyeol any less confused.

 

“Act-“ I was going to start explaining myself but I felt someone putting an arm around my shoulder. Shocked, I backed off towards Chanyeol. When I saw clearly, I recognised Sehun there, smirking.

 

“What’s my little princess so worked up about?” Sehun asked smugly. We were just turning into the cafeteria when he said that. I scoffed in reply and led the way in.

 

I had my lunchbox with me, so I didn’t have to buy anything. Behind me, Chanyeol and Sehun followed in silence. I guess I didn’t have to ask Chanyeol to know he was a little confused. After all, he did see how Sehun had treated me last Monday. He had a right to be confused.

 

When we finally found a place to sit down in the middle of the cafeteria, Chanyeol finally spoke up. “Did I miss something?” he asked, although he probably knew what he missed. Maybe not right down to the tiny details, but I could tell he had a rough idea that me and Sehun have made up.

 

“Nothing, we’re fine,” I said simply, figuring out that me and Sehun didn’t have to tell him what exactly happened. It could stay between us. Sehun looked to me and I knew he was thinking the same thing.

 

Chanyeol, however, still looked skeptical. “What exactly happened?”

 

I sighed and looked back at Sehun. Now how exactly were we supposed to explain things in a general way?

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

Jiho finally came back. But she was obviously a lot more happy than when I last saw her, which would be a little weird considering she’s been MIA for a whole week. Did she go on a vacation or something? Maybe she’s part of a super rich family that goes for holidays whenever they wanted just because they could. However, that sounded a little snobby and I cancelled that possibility. I could tell Jiho wouldn’t go missing for no reason. She looked responsible.

 

“What exactly happened?” I asked. I was so curious. Did I have a right to be, though? I’ve just known her for eight days and I’ve only talked to her on that one day, although our friendship have advanced so much in that one day, a particular thanks to Jiho for trusting me so much to tell her how she felt and such.

 

To add to that, Sehun was finally back to normal again somehow. I knew he seemed chirpy when I apologised to him yesterday, but who knew he’d go back to being the cheerful kid again? He had been sulking all week. Even some people who walked past us were shocked that Sehun was smiling. Heck, even hearing his voice this past week had been rare. And it could never go unnoticed. Sehun was the popular kid in school, but for superficial reasons, which I considered better than my reasons- all the wrong ones.

 

“Don’t worry,” Sehun chuckled, probably having detected concern in my voice. “I went over to visit Jiho yesterday and apologised. We’re all good now.” Any normal person would be feeling relieved hearing him say that but all I felt was panic and… jealousy? I wasn’t sure, but it sure felt like it.

 

Hearing him say that was panic enough, but then I caught Sehun glancing over at Jiho, giving a sneaky smile, and Jiho smiled back in reply, shaking her head. I don’t know why, but it was a hard sight for me to watch. I gulped, desperately trying to think of a reason to excuse myself. It felt wrong to be here anyway.

 

“That’s good to hear!” I exclaimed, trying to emit all the positive aura I had left in me. I didn’t know if they believed me or not, but I didn’t care. I stood up and immediately excused myself, clenching my stomach, then walked out of the cafeteria. Once I was out of their view, I leaned myself against the wall and slumped down onto the ground. I buried my head down onto my knees and sat there, pondering.

 

Why did I feel like ? Honestly, after that conversation Monday night, I thought all I felt towards her was friendship. But if that were the case, why would I mind that she and Sehun were going back to being… I grunted when I realised I didn’t even know at what stage their relationship was at. Am I supposed to act like I don’t care and hope that whatever this is, it’ll blow over? How could I, though? Anyone who knew me well enough knows that I wear my heart on my sleeves. Unless I was persistent enough, I couldn’t get anyone to believe my lies.

 

“What’s my Park Chanyeol doing here, huh?” I heard a familiar voice coo.

 

Keeping my head down, I motioned for the person to go away.

 

“Well this is too bad, are you not going to entertain me today?”

 

“Go away, Kang Jihyun. I’m in no mood for your games. Go and bother someone else,” I replied, pointing in any other random direction.

 

I heard her scoff before she stomped off. “Now you know how it feels like to be me, don’t you?” I furrowed my brows when I heard that. Immediately, I got up and chased after her.

 

“What do you mean by that?” I asked when I caught up beside her. It was a good thing her posse wasn’t with her all the time. It would be way too awkward to ask if they were around.

 

Stopping and turning to face me, Jihyun gave me a look of disbelief. “After all this time, you still don’t get it, do you, Chanyeol?” she hissed through clenched teeth. I really didn’t, so I shook my head. “I know the type of guy you are. You fall for a girl so easily just by the way she treats you. If she’s nice to you, that girl would stand all the chance in the world to be yours. I was one of them, wasn’t I?” I wasn’t sure where she was going with this, but I nodded my head anyway. It was true, in a way. Me and Jihyun had a complicated past.

 

“I saw you in the cafeteria just now. The way you looked when you saw the way she looked oh so affectionately at Oh Sehun,” she stated, matter-of-factly. “You have very few friends as it is after the incident, so I can only imagine how special she must be to you. Not that she knows anything about it, anyway.”

 

I don’t know what she intended to make me feel by saying those words, but I felt infuriated. “What are you even blabbering on about?” I shouted, making sure no one else was around. “You were the one who started spreading rumours about me forcing you to have with me!” That I said in a whisper. As much as I hated her for doing that, I knew no one would believe me if I denied it anyway, which was evident, actually.

 

Jihyun looked away from me, suddenly looking all timid. Honestly, I’ve never seen her quite this distraught for a long time. “Well, you were the one who cheated on me.” With that, she walked off, trying to contain her tears. I could hear her sobbing all the way until she entered the girls’ bathroom.

 

As angry as I was with her, I couldn't deny the fact that what she said was true. I did fall for her. So easily. She was my first friend in this school. I chased her for months. But when I had her... I didn't feel it anymore. And a momentary temptation on my part ended everything. Maybe what I got was what I deserved. I wondered if what I felt for Jiho now is the same thing with that of Jihyun. What if I was just fooling around again? I sighed, shaking the thoughts away. All that I was sure of now was that I didn't want to hurt Jiho, because Jihyun was right, she is still my friend now, and she's one of the very few. So I had to do what I never did before: back off. She was clearly happy with Sehun by her side. I could be her friend, but I'd have to distance myself.

 

Oh Sehun, you better take good care of her. I won't forgive you if you don't.