5: Definitely something wrong

Apple of my Eye

One week later...

Chanyeol's POV

How stupid was I not to get Jiho's number? I even walked her home but I didn't have the guts to ask for her phone number. That was probably not a good idea, especially since she's been gone for a whole week. Today's Monday. Exactly one week since I last saw her. I tried going by her house to check up on her, but nobody answered when I rang the doorbell. I would trespass, but I was scared that people would think that I was a robber. I've only known her for less than a day, so even if I did trespass I don't think she'd appreciate it. I let out a sigh as Mr Hung continued with his Chemistry lesson. How was I supposed to concentrate when she's the only one on my mind?

I had asked Sehun whether he knew about her whereabouts, but he didn't know either. And even if he did I don't think he'd bother enough to say anything or do anything about it. He's been acting so weird lately. It's as though he's become nonchalant about every single thing. He used to be so worried about studies and such, asking me if I had any plans. If I didn't, he'd tell me to go study with him in the school library. We met everyday, even. But after the whole Jiho-came-back thing, he's been a little off. I'd see him around school with Kang Jihyun, the school's mean queen. We even talked about her before, lots of times, about how we didn't like her and her stinky attitude. Yet now there he was, hanging out with her everyday. I rolled my eyes at the thought of my best friend getting involved with that.... type of person.

The time passed by quickly as it was soon our break, and it must've been because I've been thinking of ways to find out where Jiho went. I already asked all the teachers that knew her, but no one knew. They didn't even bother to ask, either. It just how this school was full of hypocritical, inconsiderate teachers who didn't even care about anyone. Okay, not all the teachers were that bad, just the ones that have ever taught me.

As soon as the bell rang, I jerked out of my seat and hurried to the canteen. I simply couldn't stand hearing Mr Hung's voice anymore. It was annoying. Jiho probably thought that Mr Hung is this sweet and friendly Chemistry teacher. But that's because she's only been under him for, well, technically only one lesson. There were a lot of things people didn't know about him that only I did. I had considered telling Sehun before, but I decided not to. Maybe some things, I should keep to myself.

Walking into the cafeteria, I saw that there weren't that many people around, so I decided to buy my food before anyone else showed up and get a good seat where no one would bother me. Once I got my food, I turned to look at the cafeteria for places to sit, and I was going to settle for one in the corner before I saw Sehun sitting in the middle of the room on his own, lost in thought- I could see from his blank eyes which are constantly staring at a single spot on the table. I would much rather eat alone than hang out with the Sehun now, but I knew something was bothering him. After all, he was my best friend. I can't just not care.

"What's on your mind, buddy?" I asked as I took a seat across him. I expected him to give me a friendly 'hello'- which was what he usually gave- but instead he gave me a cold stare and looked away into the distance. I sighed. "Fine, if you don't want to tell me." So I started eating my food. I knew he was going to talk soon anyway. I am way better than him at handling myself in awkward situations. And Oh Sehun can't stand awkward silences- basic Oh Sehun 101.

"Did you find her?" Wow. After five minutes he cracked. That could possibly be his personal best.

"Find who?" I asked. I knew who he meant though, I just wanted to hear him say it himself.

"That new girl." Something was definitely up. Oh come on, now he won't even say her name? I mean, they were childhood friends.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Nope," I replied, stuffing food into my mouth. "Is she who you're concerned about?" I wasn't going to give up interrogating him over her. It's better than asking her, that's for sure. I was much closer and more comfortable with Sehun. It's just that nowadays, he seemed like a total stranger sometimes. And believe me, I'm not exaggerating when I say that today would probably be one of the better days.

Sehun scoffed and shifted in his seat. "Oh please, I don't waste my time on people like her," was his obnoxious reply. I gritted my teeth. I wanted so much to punch his face in for saying such a thing but I held myself back. It would have been perfectly okay if he stopped there, but he just had to continue talking. "I just hate seeing my best friend alone all week hanging around school by himself." He said that in a taunting way. "I mean, seeing as how she probably won't fit in with the rest of us either, I'm sure you two would be the perfect company for each other."

'Us'? That was it. Sehun was definitely going off the deep end. What did he want? To piss me off? I didn't even do anything to him. I'm not one to hold in my anger, so I wasn't surprised with what I did next. I knew I was going to regret it, but for now I really couldn't control myself. I rolled my hand into a fist and sent it flying towards his face. He fell to the ground, hovering over the left side of his face where I hit him. He looked up and glared at me, slowly getting up from the floor. Around us, everyone was staring, shocked at what I just did. I could hear murmurs from every single one of them, mostly questioning why I would ever punch my best friend in the face. I turned back to look at Sehun, who was now standing upright, giving me a death glare. I could see him gritting his teeth and clenching both his fists. He was about to lose it, but at the moment, it just made me want to taunt him more.

"Come on then, hit me!" I challenged, moving the chair away from between us and moved forward so that we were only a few inches apart. "Just because you're hanging out with that idiot Kang Jihyun doesn't mean you have to turn into her. But from what I just heard, maybe I overestimated you," I tell him, this time in a voice low enough only for him to hear. I still couldn't bear to humiliate my best friend that much, especially not in front of the whole school.

Admittedly, I expected him to punch me back, because he was never one to hold in his anger either. But he didn't move. I noticed that a part of his lip was swollen and it was bleeding slightly. I also noticed in his eyes that there was no anger. Not a single trace. In fact, he just looked... hurt. Of course, he wasn't going to show anyone that side of him. I could see his expression harden as he started to grab his bag and phone and stomp out of the cafeteria, shoving a few people to get through the crowd. I gave everyone a glare before I headed out the cafeteria doors myself, and the moment I was out of there, I felt instant guilt. How could I do that to him? There was definitely something wrong with him. I shouldn't have been that hot-headed.

Getting up from the wall I was leaning against, I decided to go and find Sehun. I had to apologize. It was my fault for causing a scene anyway. I was about to head down in the direction of the corridor leading to the rooftop garden when I spotted a familiar figure walking towards me. Once the person was close enough and out of the shadows, I could make out who it was and I instantly changed directions. Could my day get any worse?

Jiho's POV

Snacks? Check. Shampoo? Check. New mop? Check. What else....

I sighed as I walked down the isles to find whatever I needed. It not having my parents around to do this type of shopping. I still wasn't used to this after five years. I was much too lazy of a person. Just as I was about to head to the cashier to pay for my stuff, I saw a familiar face entering the store.

What is Sehun doing here at a time like this? Shouldn't he be in school?

Without thinking, I scurried to the back of the store, although I had no idea why I was hiding from him. Maybe I was too much of a coward to look at him after our previous exchange of words. Although I never said much. I was walking backwards, praying that Sehun wouldn't walk to where I was. I felt like giving up o shopping and just escape from the store without him noticing. I guess I was too lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize I had bumped into someone, stepping on his shoe, which made him yelp in pain.

"I'm so sorry!" I said to the person, bowing.

After the person waved it off, I looked back to Sehun's direction. Dang it, where did he go? I panicked when I didn't see him where he was before. Maybe I should just pay and get out of here. I turned to get my basket of stuff which slipped from my hands when I bumped into the stranger when I came face-to-face with Oh Sehun himself. I froze in my tracks, looking at the ground. What was I supposed to do? Greet him? Ignore him? Try and talk to him? I bit my lower lip, considering what I should do. I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I decided to just ignore him and continue with what I was doing when he grabbed my right wrist and pulled me towards him.

"What do you want?" I sighed, still refusing to look at him. I was afraid that the mere sight of him so close to me would remind me all the more of how distant we actually were now. When he didn't say anything, I wrangled out of his grip and grabbed my basket, walking towards the cashier. I was about to pay for my things when the person queuing behind me dumped a first-aid kit onto the counter. I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking why the person had to make such a din. That 'bang' hurt my sensitive ears. I was about to glare at the person when I realized it was Sehun again. I looked from him, to the first-aid kit, and then back to him. My gaze softened when I saw that he had a small cut on his lip and it wasn't hard to tell that a bruise was going to form.

After I paid for my stuff, I grabbed the first-aid kit from Sehun and put it back on the shelf. As much as I told myself not to, I couldn't help but worry for him. I walked back to the counter to greet a confused-looking Sehun. I breathed in deeply before grabbing his arm and leading him out of the store, saying, "I have a first-aid kit at home. I'll help you with that." To my surprise, he didn't refuse. He just let me drag him along.

Great going, Jiho. You should've just ignored him like you said you would and stop making things harder for yourself. To be honest though, I knew I could never not care. Not when it comes to Oh Sehun.