15: You could lose

Apple of my Eye

Sehun’s POV

 

What was wrong with me? I practically ignored both Chanyeol and Jiho during the break just now, especially after hearing what Chanyeol had to say to Jiho. ‘How can I when it comes to you?’ Oh, how freaking sappy. I mentally rolled my eyes.

 

It was raining heavily now, which suited my mood very much. I don’t know what I was feeling exactly, but it was nothing good. “Oh Sehun!” I jerked in my seat, surprised. My teacher was folding her arms and shaking her head. She looked really disappointed. “I don’t know what’s wrong with you today but you’re acting very odd. I suggest you get out of class, since you’re not listening to a word I’m saying anyway.”

 

Usually, teachers would lose patience with students like me who keep daydreaming and doing their own stuff during lessons. I wasn’t one to listen attentively and all the teachers could see that. Oftentimes, I had been their subject of conversation. If any teacher heard my name, they’d know me as ‘the lazy one’. I’m surprised that my teachers were all understanding towards me. They never really scolded me. Although, it may have been because of a certain other reason…

 

I sighed and shook my head. I didn’t want to think of that now. It’d only make me more upset. I bowed in apology to my teacher before slinging my bag over my left shoulder and headed out of the classroom. It was about 3.30pm. Jiho would still be in class, I figured, so I decided to find her classroom. Seeing her would be enough to get me out of this slowly-coming sour mood.

 

After ten minutes of searching, I finally found her classroom. I smiled at the sight of her, only to have it gone when I realised that Chanyeol was sitting beside her and that they were happily talking to each other. The teacher must not have noticed because he never said anything. When I looked back at them, I could see Chanyeol poking her sides, tickling her, and she was trying her best not to laugh out loud.

 

I gritted my teeth and swallowed. So much for trying to feel better. I must have been standing at too obvious of a place, because some other students had spotted me there and were staring at me. The moment I saw Jiho turning her head to follow their gaze, I immediately took off towards the exit. I adjusted my tie so that it would hang loose. I was already tensed enough.

 

“Sehun-ah!”

 

I stopped at the sound of that familiar voice. I wanted so badly to turn around, to see her, but I forced myself not to. I couldn’t handle seeing that cheerful face and know that it was Chanyeol who made her happy.

 

“Where are you going? We got an early dismissal, wanna hang out?” I wanted to just run into her arms. I wanted to tell her how horrible I was feeling. I really wanted to. I wanted to show her how it to be me right now, but I knew it was going to affect her negatively. Sure, I hated the fact that Chanyeol got to spend a lot more hours with her in school but could I blame him for that? Besides, he used those hours to make her happy. The way she smiled was a different smile than when she was with me- it was so playful… so blessed.

 

“I’m not feeling well, I’m heading home,” I told her, just barely looking over my shoulder. I managed a slight smirk to show her that I would be okay. “Don’t wait up for me.”

 

Was it wrong of me to feel a little resentful when all she replied me was an ‘oh, okay then’? I knew she would just find Chanyeol to hang out with her. She had never liked being alone since young. My suspicions were confirmed when I heard Chanyeol’s voice.

 

“Shall we go?” And then there was the sounds of his car engines. And then they were gone. They didn’t even bother to ask me. She didn’t even bother to ask me along.

 

It was a long ride home on the bus. I purposely took a loop of the entire bus route because I just didn’t want to be home this early. I’d just feel alone. I was used to the loneliness before, but the moment I finally laid eyes on Jiho again, the moment I started to interact with her again, I decided that I didn’t want to be alone. But hearing what Chanyeol had said about her on the roof, seeing how happy Jiho was with him, it just reminded me that you could lose anyone. And that was a feeling I didn’t want to have to experience. Especially not during times like this.

 

When I finally got home, I slumped down on the couch and the television. I sighed at the empty feeling I got when I remembered just how happy I was with Jiho when we were both here. Trying to rid my mind of all thoughts concerning her, I tried my best to focus on the drama playing.

 

Not even a half hour into the drama, I could feel my phone vibrating under me. Annoyed, I got it out of my back pocket and looked at the caller ID. My frustration turned into helplessness. It was my mum calling. And that could only mean one thing…


“H-hello? Umma?” My voice was shaking. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. I tried to control the tears from falling. I gulped as she finally spoke.

 

“I’m sorry…” she started and that was it. I just burst into tears.

 

Jiho’s POV

 

I sighed to myself as I got out of Chanyeol’s car. We were at the nearest shopping mall. He had just reminded me just now that it was Sehun’s birthday soon and we should get him some presents.

 

“What’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked as he walked over to my side of the car.

 

“It’s just that… Sehun started acting weird again just now,” I said, and upon noticing Chanyeol’s blank look, forced a smile. “But it’s okay, he said he wasn’t feeling well. I guess he just needs to rest it off before coming back to normal.”

 

Noticing how bad Chanyeol looked, I forced myself to feel a little better. It would be terrible shopping for presents in a sour mood. I grabbed his arm and pulled him along into the mall, trying my best to sound chirpy.

 

After an hour of looking around, we finally bought our presents. Chanyeol bought for him a new game console. I think it was the Playstation 4, I forgot. I was shocked at first when he wanted to buy that for him, but it turns out that Chanyeol came from a very rich family and that probably didn’t cost much to them. As for me, I took a little longer than Chanyeol to decide, because I wanted to give him something with meaning, although I had no clues as to what it could be. In the end, I settled for matching necklaces- Yin and Yang. I didn’t know which one he’d prefer, so I kept them both wrapped and figured I’d ask him to choose on the day itself.

 

“What are you thinking of?” Chanyeol asked as we strolled around the mall to find a place we’d both like to have dinner in.

 

“Nothing, I’m just really worried about Sehun,” I admitted, my energy drained. I didn’t have it in me to act okay. I was too tired.

 

“Oh, I see,” he muttered, and his expression fell. “Why don’t you call him to check up on him?” he suggested, forcing a smile.

 

I was relieved that he suggested that. I had wanted to talk to Sehun ever since we got here, but I was scared that Chanyeol wouldn’t like it. Who would want to go out with someone who can only keep thinking of another person?

 

Without hesitation, I took out my phone and dialled Sehun’s number. It said that the user on the other line was busy. Puzzled, I hung up and sighed. He must be talking to someone else, so I shrugged. If he wanted to talk, he’d call me back, so I figured that for the time being, I wouldn’t let him affect my mood, because it would affect Chanyeol’s too.

 

So, for the rest of the night, I kept Sehun off my mind. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Chanyeol’s company. Tonight, his personality was bubblier than ever and everything that came out of his mouth made me laugh. At one point, we were laughing so hard that I can just feel other people staring at us- some annoyed, some not. He really had a way of making people feel good.

 

We ate an early dinner, we played in the arcade, went window shopping for ourselves and even took pictures at the photo booth. After a long night out, we were finally ready to go home. We were both exhausted. When I looked at my watch, it was already 10pm. It would be 10.30 by the time I reached home, and then I still had to shower and do my work for the next day. I sighed just thinking about it, and I guessed Chanyeol really was too exhausted because he didn’t even notice it.

 

As I got into his car, I felt a vibration in my bag. I took out my phone and saw that it was a text from Sehun. I immediately opened it, my mood instantly getting better.

 

It read: What did you call me for?

 

Quickly, I replied, Just wanted to know if you were doing fine… are you? :-)

 

When he didn’t reply immediately, I put my phone back in my pocket. I really hoped that he was fine. But by the time Chanyeol pulled up by my driveway, Sehun still hadn’t replied me. I sighed, figuring I should give him some space and not bother him by asking too much.

 

Softly, I muttered a ‘thanks’ to Chanyeol, but before I could get out, he grabbed my hand, pulling me back into my seat. Stunned, I turned to face him, only to get greeted by his grin. He then reached into his pocket and pulled the strand of pictures out. They were the ones we took at the photo booth.

 

“Here, take it,” he offered, holding them out to me. “I wanted to keep them all, but I figured you’d want to keep my face too.” He said that with a wink.

 

As much as I hated how full of himself he seemed right then, I couldn’t help but laugh and play along. I snatched the pictures from his palm and stuck my tongue out at him. “Yeah, maybe. If I decide to do some voodoo experiment,” I joked as I got out of his car. “Bye, Mr. Big Head.”

 

Before he drove off, he opened the car window and waved to me. “Bye, future Mrs. Big Head.” With that, off he went. What he said really surprised me. I didn’t want to but I somehow felt butterflies forming in my stomach and I knew very well that I was blushing.

 

Yah! Park Jiho! Get yourself together. He’s not Sehun… 

 

And just then, coincidentally, the person I was worried about all night finally replied.

 

I opened the message and read: My heart’s about to break. Come and find me.

 

It didn’t take me a second before I decided to rush over. Sehun-ah, what’s wrong?