3: Living in the Past

Apple of my Eye

Jiho's POV

The rest of the day went by in a blur. I could barely concentrate in any class, especially since the little hallway incident with Sehun. What was up with him? Why did he do what he did right then? I was just stuttering at the moment, trying to get the right words out of my mouth. All I wanted to do was tell him I missed him, and that I was glad he was here and that I finally found him. But the moment he pushed me against the locker was the moment I forgot about everything else. We were just caught in the moment, waiting for each other to make a move..

I looked beside me and find Chanyeol's eyes flickering from one side of the classroom to another, and although I never said anything- occasionally they flitted towards me. I guess I knew what he was thinking. He was probably curious about what the whole thing was about. I did feel comfortable around him, but I wasn't about to spit out my childhood details about me and Sehun to him just yet. Although, I didn't know if he already knew. I mean, he did say Sehun was his best friend, right? I knew it wasn't a very good idea to ask, but I did so anyway. "Do you know anything?" I blurted out before I could hesitate any further.

Stunned, Chanyeol turned to face me and glanced warily at the teacher before starting to talk. "What about?" he asked, genuinely looking confused. Well then, if he knew anything at all it probably wouldn't be much, I guessed.

The bell rang before I could continue, indicating the end of lessons for the day. Turning back on my plan, I just smiled and waved the subject off. I told him I had to rush home (I hated lying but I really didn't feel like staying around there any longer) and then took off towards the door. I could hear him calling my name as I rushed out but I pretended not to hear it and continued walking. Sorry Chanyeol.

All the way towards the school gates, through the parking lot, all I could think about was Sehun. And even though I wouldn't know if I probably did run into him, it didn't stop me from looking around and searching for him. Things would be way more awkward between us now than back in the days, but I didn't care. I just knew I needed to see him. No talking needed. I guess I was too absorbed in my own world that I didn't realize a car trying to get out of its lot, resulting in a continuous loud honk as it continued moving forward towards me.

Frozen, I stood there, just staring at the car moving towards me. I actually thought it was going to hit me, but an arm found its way around my waist and shoved me out of the way. I gulped as I managed to grasp a hold of the situation. I nearly got knocked down by a car. I looked beside me to thank whoever it was when I saw the person I was searching for: Oh Sehun. He still had his arm around my waist and he was staring down at me.

He looked so good it felt like I couldn't tear my eyes off him. His blonde hair was still as messy as I remembered it to be in the cafeteria earlier. The last time I remembered, he had dark brown hair. I wondered why he changed it to blonde. No complaints there, though. He still managed to look so handsome. I guess it must be because of his milky white skin; as opposed to my slightly tanned skin. My gaze shifted to his eyes. I had a sudden flashback of us being kids and playing with each other. His eyes still looked the same, but there was something different about them. They were still a hazel brown, but the earnest eyes I remembered him to have when we were young- they weren't there anymore. I thought back to the hallway incident. His eyes were dazzled and confused. But now, it just seemed cold. He wasn't even smiling. He was just... expressionless.

Realizing that he was still holding me, he let go of me and put his hands in his pockets. "Watch yourself," he said coldly, before starting to walk away. Just like that? I questioned myself.

"Wait."

He turned around upon hearing me and raised an eyebrow. "What else do you want? I already saved your life."

Ouch. Why was he being like this all of a sudden? Just hours ago he was close to kissing me. Now he was acting as though I was a scum on the Earth. "Can we at least talk?" I asked, trying to stop myself from thinking so much.

I heard him scoff as he turned away. He tilted his head to look up at the sky. "We just did," he stated. I couldn't see his face, so I really had no idea what he could possibly be thinking. I stood there awkwardly as I tried to think of a response. Before I could get a word out, he said: "If you're living in the past, I suggest you get your head out of it. As far as I'm concerned, and as far as you should be concerned, we were just childhood neighbours."

What did he just say? 'Just childhood neighbours'? Did our friendship mean that little to him? I mean, yeah, it was a long time ago, but did he have to dismiss it like this? I couldn't wrap my head around what I just heard, much less believe it. It sure didn't seem that way back in the hallway. Now I'm wishing we could rewind and maybe I would have confronted him earlier instead of being shot down now.

Seeing that I had nothing to say, he started walking away towards his car, got in, and drove off. After a few seconds, I realized I got too caught up with Sehun that I was temporarily oblivious to the world around me. Everyone else around the parking lot was staring at me. Some of them giving me pitiful stares, and the rest glaring at me with hateful eyes. What did I do? It was just the first day of school and everything was already getting too much for me to handle.

"Hey, Jiho," I heard a familiar voice call out to me. I turned and saw Chanyeol heading towards me, books in hand. He glared back at everyone who was staring and managed to get them to look away and get back to their own stuff. Wow. I didn't notice he was that high up in this school. I didn't know what he wanted when he suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the direction of the school gate, but I let him do so instead of struggling. I was still too shocked by the encounter with Sehun that I wasn't in any mood to argue.

When we were out through the gate, he stopped pulling me along and turned to face me. I stared at the ground, refusing to look into his eyes. It would just remind me of the cold stare I got from the person who meant- and probably still means- the world to me. "I saw what happened back there," he told me, although I don't know what use it would be if he did see it. He let out a sigh when he saw that I wasn't going to respond. "Listen, there's a pizza place nearby, wanna go get a bite?" This time, my head snapped up. What was his motive in asking me out? "We can talk about Sehun there, but not here. There're too many ears," this time he said it in a whisper, aware that other people were staring as they walked past us.

It didn't take me long to give a reply. My head was in a mess and my stomach was empty. I needed all the distraction and all the food I could get. Nodding, I followed behind him as he led the way.

If only that was you...

Sehun's POV

"How was school today?" my mum asked as I stepped into the house, slamming the door behind me. "Someone's obviously not in a good mood." I didn't feel the need to tell her about what was going on in my life, so I just ignored her and kept my mouth shut, heading to my room where hopefully, no one would bother me anymore. "You know, I am your mother. I've seen you like this before." That was enough to make me stop in my tracks and look back at her. She was washing dishes in the kitchen, which happened to be right across my room. When I didn't say anything, she continued, "I know you well enough, my dear. A piece of advice: grow up, honey." She said all that without even turning to face me.

Rolling my eyes, I entered my room and shut the door behind me, not forgetting to lock it, lest my mother came barging in asking me about my life. I sat on my bed and leaned against the bedframe, looking around the well-lit room. It was full of bright colors, but somehow, it was anything but happy that I was feeling. I looked to the side and saw the photo still placed carefully on my bedside table. I stared at it one last time before folding it and stuffing it inside one of the drawers. I didn't feel like looking at it anymore. It was the last thing I wanted to see.

As I shut my eyes to rest myself, I felt a vibration in my pocket. I grabbed my phone and saw that it was a text from Chanyeol.

Hey, you okay man? I saw you just now.

I'm fine. It's none of your business anyway. I hit send. It didn't take him long to reply.

I'm taking her to our usual pizza place. Wanna come and hang out?

I rolled my eyes. What would even make him think that I wanted to be there? I don't give a that she's there. You can have her. I hit send.

Okay.

I switched off my phone and threw it onto the study table a few feet away from my bed and laid down on my bed completely.

Finally. Peace.