1: Speak of the Devil

Apple of my Eye

Jiho's POV

"Now, make sure you behave well in this school," my mother warned. "We don't want to have to hear about you causing trouble with your classmates again. Clean slate, remember?"

I rolled my eyes. Usually, my mother would start a whole lecture on how rude rolling my eyes is, but it's a good thing she can't see me.

"Yes, Mum, I got it," I whined over the phone.

She and my dad are still in America. They are apparently loving their life there as well as their work. It may be their scene, but it sure wasn't mine. Maybe because Oh Sehun isn't there with me.... I slapped myself for bringing him up again in my mind.

"Okay, we love you, be safe," my mum said before hanging up.

Half an hour later, I'm walking up towards the school gates. New school, new experiences. I should be excited, but I'm dreading it. I would be excited if I had friends here but... I don't. I'm probably the only transfer student in my year and that would mean everyone else has friends except for me. That leaves me to be the odd-one-out, the weirdo of the school. Sighing, I dragged myself into the school. First period of the day was Chemistry. Yet another reason to get my mood down. I do like Chemistry, but as of recent it's getting really hard and I can't seem to catch up. Especially now that I'm in a new school, I don't know if I can adapt to their different style of teaching.

As I approached the homeroom- and where most of the classes will be, except for Physical Ed- I thought of another problem: who am I going to sit next to? I silently prayed that there would be a pair of empty seats that I could hog by myself. It's okay if I had to be alone the entire time. I'm fine with being alone, I guess.

"Ah! There's our new student," my Chemistry teacher, Mr Hung, as I was told by the admin lady, exclaimed. "Come in and introduce yourself." Well, at least he looks friendly.

The moment I start walking into the classroom, all heads turned to me. I caught some girls glaring at me, as though I had offended them somehow. I rolled my eyes at them and heard one of them scoffing. As I took a quick glance around the classroom, I spotted a cute looking guy. He was sat at the back, and it seemed like the seat next to him was the only empty one. At least I get to sit next to a cute boy. "Hi everyone, my name is Jiho, nice to meet you all," I introduced and bowed. Some of them started clapping while some continued staring.

"Hello, Jiho, it's a pleasure that you've transferred here," Mr Hung said, greeting me with a warm smile. He gestured to the back of the classroom. "There, there's an empty seat for you." I looked at where he was pointing. Yes, I was right before. I was going to get to sit next to a cute guy. I tried to hide my relief (that I don't have to sit next to anybody else because right now, he was the one with the friendliest face in the room). I nodded, and as I sat down, Mr Hung pointed at the cute guy and went, "Now, Chanyeol, don't get too friendly."

I don't know what he meant by that, but at least I knew his name now. Chanyeol, huh?

 

Sehun's POV

Ring ring ring.......

I grumbled and turned my bedside alarm clock off. I don't even know how many times I snoozed it. Too many to count. I checked the time. Dang, I'm already 2 hours late. I'm surprised nobody bugged me to wake up, though. Maybe my parents finally got the hint that I'm really tired out these days. Exams this year were particularly important and I really was staying up just to catch up on my studies. I may have been way unproductive last year. Everyday was a party day. I don't even recall myself studying when I got home. I try to tell myself everytime that now I'm hardworking because I really feel the urgency of it, but even I know that's not it. It's because you're thinking of her more frequently, you idiot.

These few days, admittedly, I have been thinking about her more than usual. I don't know why. Every day at school- in class, in the hallways, during detention- I think of her. "Stop thinking about her, damn it," I mutter to myself as I brush my teeth.

"Are you that stressed out that you're talking to yourself now?" I turned around and saw my older brother leaning against the door frame, smirking at me. I rolled my eyes. Whatever. I had no mood to entertain him right now. "Tsk. Well, you're rude today." He said and walked away.

An hour later, here I was, in school, rotting in the cafeteria. It was supposed to be break time now but I guess everyone's taking their own sweet time to get here. The only people here were me and this other group of guys- the basketball boys. People started piling in as I started to remember when I went for basketball tryouts. I went to the end just to get cut because only one out of the two of us could take the last remaining spot. Who's the other guy?

Speak of the devil...

There's Park Chanyeol strolling into the cafeteria, hands in his pocket, talking to this girl who was walking alongside him. I squinted as I tried to get a clearer view. Who was that? I don't think I've ever seen her around before. Was that the new transfer student people have been talking about? People were saying she got expelled from her old school, and I guess that's a pretty bad thing. Well, no use even if I knew who she was. My parents loved controlling who I hang around with. They were very strict and they'd probably kill me if they knew I was involved with a girl who got expelled from her old school. They pretty much associate girl-friends as really girlfriends, like in-a-relationship kind of thing. They are so old-fashioned sometimes I can't even take them. That didn't stop me from making friends with girls, though. What they won't know won't hurt them, right?

I get off my seat and planned to greet my buddy Chanyeol when suddenly the girl turned to her side and I could see the left side of her face. What the... am I dreaming? Is this real? Am I hallucinating? It definitely looked like her. If it was her, she didn't change much, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. My jaw dropped as I got a full view of her face. She hadn't spotted me yet, although I wasn't sure if she'd recognize me even if she did. It definitely was her. I'm sure of it. But....

Park Jiho... what are you doing back here after all this time?