C10: Winter of the Wolves

Living Half a Life

The next day Polly couldn't be more lethargic since the lack of sleep from all the werewolf images and reverie that continued until break of dawn. But Suho prepared delicious pancakes that had her energized quite a bit.

"Polly, Jeremy will be here soon and for sure you two will get along." Luhan smiled and somehow it radiated sunshines right before Minseok entered the kitchen.

"We need to leave now." his voice were icy cold and nothing could have been more authoritative than his words not even compared to Kris' who followed his stride.

"I am here! How are you guys? Oh, why are you leaving all of a sudden." a high pitched voice boomed in the kitchen as a lanky, blonde guy appeared out of nowhere.

"Jeremy, hi! Well, we have to secure the perimeters and Polly will be left alone. Please do take care of her." Luhan tapped the shoulders of the visitor whom the other members didn't bother to greet as they hurried off to follow Minseok. As soon as the group was gone, the visitor stared at Polly with an eagle eye as if analyzing what she’s made of.

"Uhm.. Shall I get you anything? Water? Juice?" Polly stood up and bowed at the guy who won't stop gazing.

"I'm sorry, I'm Polly by the way." She added to break the stern feeling.

"Tell me, have you been kissed?" he asked seriously.

"W-what?" shocked with his question, Polly wasn't able to comprehend.

"Kissed? By a guy or should I ask how many guys have you slept with?" he asked bluntly as if he was just asking what color are my socks.

"Excuse me, am I hearing you rig-" before she could finish her sentence, the guy named Jeremy spoke.

"Oh my delirious graybacks! You're a from head to toe! Oh my, my, my." He gasped with his hands covering his mouth as if totally shocked by the information Polly haven't confirmed yet.

"So, what if I am? Why does that matter to you?" Polly scoffed at the guy, growing a tad annoyed with him every passing second.

"Why does that matter to me? The hell I care! But it does matter to you! Big time! Totally!" he exaggeratedly swung his arms back and forth trying to tell Polly that he is totally freaked out.

"What do you mean? What does my ity anything to do with you?" Polly backed off a bit feeling scared with how the conversation is going.

"Not to me , my lady, but to the pack master. How do you think you can handle a pack master’s ually driven wolf during conception if you're a ?" he asked as if trying to argue with her.

"Excuse me? I don't understand conception?" Polly’s voice decreased energy little by little.

"Conception of the elixir my lady. The implantation of the seeds is nearing and you will be conceiving the elixir. How do you think conceiving would take place if not for pack master’s penile shaft entering your trying to secrete the seeds towards your birth canal until it reaches your womb. Unless they told you another way to do it?" he mockingly crossed his arms, rolling his eyes in frustration.

"I..I... think I'm going to puke..." Polly’s face went all colorless, head spinning like crazy. 'Dimwit! How did I never ask them about the process. '

'Why didn't it cross my mind to ever ask them how the seeds are being implanted? The hell, I was about to agree to their plan!' Polly thought harder than the previous days, knowing now that the meaning of all their innuendos boils down nothing complex but conception.

"My lady, I think there's more work to do than I expected. I mean, look at you. By any chance, do you know how the seeds are going to be conceived?" Jeremy guided the stunned woman towards the nearest chair as she was at a complete loss. As to answer his query, Polly shook her head lifelessly before forcing a short sigh.

"You know... I think we need to start first with the basics. I need you to be aware how it will be to conceive rather than going straight to the process. I don't reckon a maiden dying during a conception but this might be the first, if ever." Jeremy heaved a deep sigh and tapped her back to give immediate comfort.

The 'basics' Jeremy was pointing out appeared to be fashion 101 and the do it yourself styling. Much to Polly’s distress, she found out that Jeremy was a previous grayback and how unfortunate that his maiden chose to have eternal life in another realm than staying to live with the werewolves. History repeats itself as per Jeremy and most maidens of the werewolves chose the same path.

"Do they choose it because something happened with them and their graybacks?" Polly asked with arousing curiosity, feeling slightly abashed, she thought small amount of information would help her make her final decision.

"That I cannot answer myself...but what I do know of, when my beloved maiden made her decision, our pack master was not furious rather relieved that she left. He would never answer what made her choose that path but he would tell us that the maiden was not mad at us nor disliked us." as he spoke I saw a glimpse of tear fell from his blue eyes that made him look so grim.

"I'm sorry, I want to ask if by any chance there was a maiden whose profession is being a doctor?" trying not to sound fishy and luckily Jeremy was too drowned with his thoughts he didn't give too much attention on Polly’s question.

"There was, actually, the one before you to be exact. Another heartbreak, I should say." Jeremy sighed and she knitted her brows.

"Why is that?" Polly asked.

"She stayed with us. Jong Kook's pack was the greatest and we all thought that the maiden of their time was going to end all this but...she went missing and before we could look for her, the news spread that she died along with her graybacks, including the pack master himself and Jong Kook was the only one who lived. He for sure knew that the maiden was ill but not fatal until one night she left their den and her graybacks looked for her but to our dismay none of them returned and as days go by, their remains were found one by one." Jeremy paused then continued.

"The last of the remains were from the maiden herself and none of us could figure out what happened because the maiden looked severely battered. No bloodsuckers mark, no nothing, but she looked as if she went through a lot of struggle. But for today little missy let’s not discuss about what cannot be undone, I need to do you a huge makeover or else I am so done!" pulling Polly over her seat, they went straight to her room and ransack on the dresser and drawers.

"Oh seriously! Loose shirt, white polo, pants, pants and more pants! These don't even fit you! They're all oversized and oh good fashion gurus, these pants doesn't even reach your waist I suppose! What are you, a tomboy?" Jeremy exasperated and as to infuriate him more, the drawers were clean with nothing except for a brush inside it. Well, what could be bought when you were initially dragged out in this house unable to pack more necessities though never the matter because Polly’s used to the same trend of clothes she wore over the past few days.

"And not even a lip balm! I don't know where to start! Have you experienced a blow dry or a blush on ever?" Jeremy eyed Polly who just sat at the side of the bed motionless.

"Once or twice I guess. During my graduation pictorial and hospital affairs." Polly answered with so much effort due to the energy draining bomb that exploded right that very morning.

"Oh no no no... You're not going back to sleep my lady. You are coming with me." just as he said that he hurriedly pulled the sleepy Polly off the bed and with a flicker of his fingertips the surrounding swirled blurry she couldn't see the figures passing by, just Jeremy and that familiar feeling. Right before she can ask, the surrounding turned bright, with human sized mirrors, white walls, dress hangers and a make up table full of vanity kits and what supposed to be makeup toolboxes.

"What the... where are we?" still in daze, Polly spun trying to adjust her eyes to the new ambience.

"In my shop, now we have a lot of work to do. I need you to cooperate and give me your shoe size please?" Jeremy said while walking to the nearest open closet and rummaging through the clothes. For about an hour, Polly just tagging along Jeremy as they discussed about what style she have tried before, if she ever wear skirts, if she knows  what lipstick color suits her and most of the answers are just plain ‘no’.

"Now milady, I have to let you know, the reason I'm doing this is slightly personal. I want to dress you up because you're by far the most raw model I ever had, another reason is because having a maiden again after so long means a celebration. I want you to become our maiden that, us, werewolves would respect and look up to as I know by just looking at you, great things will happen." Jeremy spoke and Polly could see the depth of his soul in his deep blue eyes that glowered. She couldn't figure out why but the man was as light as a feather being with, though she must say he could pull an eagle eye very well.

"And don't you worry beloved... I'm so not into women that I almost am one. So to start this please take off your shirt and I need you to try this on matching it with this..." Jeremy leaned closer and started pulling the hem of her shirt having her changed into the set at his arms.

The day ended with the two trying different styles of clothing, mix matching between pants and to Polly’s utmost distaste, skirts, until he gave up and came up with a bright idea.

"You're by far my hardest muse ever!  You are so small that your waist can be crushed in one grip. My collection wouldn’t work, I need to customize one just for you." he said thumping his chin with his index finger.

The day ended with Jeremy bringing her back home the same way they left earlier. The pack just came in by the time, Jeremy teleported them back into her room.

“Now, tomorrow I will be back for some more pieces but for tonight I need you to mull things over so we can start really with the real deal, okay?” Jeremy smiled sweetly before giving her a cheek to cheek and leaving thru a wisp of air.

Polly laid on the bed totally exhausted for the day she didn’t notice Lay entering her room.

“Very little chakra remaining and a very troubled mind. What is it Polly?” Lay sat   beside Polly who didn’t even bother moving.

“I never asked you about all the terms you are using because I’m still conflicted about everything but the most important of this mayhem I forgot to be aware of. How does the conception of elixir takes place?” slightly turning her head sideways to meet Lay’s gaze, Polly thought Lay would be surprised but instead he is showing his dimpled smile.

“I never knew we’d get this far. But I was hoping and praying for this moment, that you would ask what you just have asked.” Lay continued to smile at Polly who suddenly found the strength to sit upright.

“What do you mean?” intrigued by his answer, Polly’s fuzzy mind awoke immediately.

“When we first saw you, we knew this is no simple task. Minseok devised something that will make you agree with the conception of elixir by crook only. Because we are aware how strong of a woman you are and convincing you be part of this all isn’t your cup of tea. So, all said and done, we got you but changes happen every day. Minseok, not even anyone of us could lay a finger on you, hurt you or mistreat you at any way. We have this connection with you all of a sudden that we can’t just push away.” Lay explained very detailed and Polly was all ears on him.

“I don’t get it, you mean harm in this first place and changed minds all of a sudden?” Polly was confused, were they letting her go or something.

“Remember what Suho said, the seeds are distributed to 12 graybacks every lifetime. There are 12 of us in this pack, Minseok being our pack master. The elixir needs to be implanted to the maiden through ion like humans defines the word. At first, we have the seeds it kept burning upon seeing you that Minseok thought we’d just do implantation without your approval and let Luhan control your mind over the matter but that failed because Luhan can never get to your mind. Next thing we knew, Minseok’s sacrificing himself to carry all of the seeds in him so none would be burned any longer upon seeing you.” Lay paused as Polly gasped with the information.

“You all ed with Minseok?” Polly thought as she follow what Lay is telling her but got on the wrong path.

“Silly, of course not. The seeds are bond of our brotherhood, it signifies life, strength and power, we have this what we called Cairn, where we can call upon the spirits of our ancestors and guide with how we control our magical abilities. That was how we transferred all 11 seeds to Minseok. Now, he only carry the burning feeling of seeds when he sees you.” Lay chuckled as he explained, holding to my hand as he tried to rub soothing circles on it making me all so comfortable.

“Why does he have to do that?” Polly got the seeds burning upon seeing her because Jeremy explained to her already how conception is so much for a werewolf they have to keep their hormones and genes in control.

“Because he can’t take the chance that anyone of us would hurt you in the process of conception. Let alone, none of us can be this close to you if he didn’t carry the seeds for us. Imagine how cruel we would look like if ever that was the case. So, we agreed to make you agree on conception by hook, Minseok being the sacrifice and all.” Lay finished with a smile and his palms emit this overflowing warmth that gave off a very comfy feeling it almost made me sleepy.

“That’s why he hates me so much. But I understand now all of this. I just am not comfortable yet with the conception process… it’s not an easy one to agree. I hope you understand.” Polly sighed and Lay patted her head.

“Polly, we never talked you about the conception because we never thought you’d agree to be our maiden. But it sounds like we are almost there yet we didn’t know.” Lay smiled and so as Polly.

“Jeremy was an eye opener really. He explained and taught me a lot about werewolves. I get to understood you all better, I may not have voiced it out but I silently agreed to stay with you all after that incident with the vampire creature. You all made me feel…secured. I may have been just scared, too scared to admit I was so powerless over the matter.” Polly looked at Lay intently seeing the understanding and the compassion overflowing.

“Polly, whatever your decision may be we all are your graybacks and you will always be our maiden.” Lay openly hugged Polly and for sure warmth radiated over his body that she felt all the more sleepy. Within a few seconds, Polly is in deep slumber and Lay tucked her to bed.

 

"Aha! This should do it! Try this now Polly, I made overnight." Jeremy scurried off handing Polly a black, lace dress and silver heels.

"What the heck. I don't wear dresses! Neither high heels!" panicking a little as Jeremy started pulling the hem of the dress and pushing it to her head.

"They are stilettos my dear. And since we are celebrating tonight it is but a necessity to wear one. Come on move milady!" Jeremy yanked the dress over her head and to Polly’s annoyance he is indeed stronger than what he looks like. In no time, she is dressed in black, long sleeved, lace dress that fitted her body. The stilettos on her foot and her make up done lightly with hair pulled up in a messy bun. Polly is still unaware of the occasion but the pack weren’t home that time so she let Jeremy take her to his store only to be teleported into what looked like a castle.


"Jeremy! At long last, how have you been?" a bearded man with curly hair spoke with a very deep and fierce voice.

"Adalulf! Oh my, it must have been a century since I last saw you. I miss you big time. I have been so busy with my shop and oh, how have you been?" Jeremy spoke excitedly but he didn't let go of Polly’s arm so while he was spazzing upon meeting the humongous bearded man, the poor lady was being swayed back and forth.

"I am very well. I believe this is our lady. Pardon my rudeness your majesty. I am Adalulf, the pack master of the late Royal Anissa and a descendant from Longtooth, year 809. It is indeed an utmost delight to meet you." he bowed and kneeled in one leg like that of princes' in Disney movies.

"Uhm, please don't do that. Stand up Sir Adalulf a handshake would do. I'm Polly,  28 years old and I can't breathe as of the moment." Polly ushered the man to stand, tugging the loose side of his coat. Every movement made her dizzy due to the tightness of the dress and the killer stilettos are torturing her feet.

"Silly you! I told you to relax and breathe comfortably. Remember, no dying on my dress." Jeremy pinched her on the side and Pollys quirmed at the sudden attack.

"Jeremy! It's our lady! For heaven's sake. Please forgive our Jeremy's action my lady. " Adalulf straighten up as he saw what Jeremy did and looked at Polly with apologizing grey eyes.

"Brethren may I have your attention please. Our gathering for tonight has commence. I humbly present, her majesty, Polly, our maiden." Adalulf stepped aside and that's when I realized, in front of me was about 50 men, including all the EXO members and a lot more whom she never saw before. Polly was flustered when all of them turned their heads, immediately bowing and kneeling in one leg just like what Adalulf did. hung open while fidgeting next to Jeremy whom at that moment was kneeling alongside.

"P-please don't do this. Please stand up all of you." panicking with the sight not knowing what do, Polly bowed a little and hid her face behind Jeremy, hiding from the people's gaze.

"Jeremy! What is this?! I don't know these people!" Polly whispered behind Jeremy while crumpling a portion of his coat.

"Exactly the reason why they are here! To come and meet you." Jeremy turned around trying to pull her from behind and back to the center spot.

"My lady, please don't be scared, we are not to harm you. We are here to protect you." someone with soft and calming voice spoke and walked towards Polly. He looked so handsome with his long, blonde hair that extends up to the mid of his back, dangling as he walk gracefully. He looked like a runway model in white suit.

"My name is Gabriel, a descendant from Gaihla, year 952 and has always aided maidens the entire journey." he is already standing in front of the stunned Polly as he grabbed her right hand and enclosed it with both of his. He leaned forward, his eyes closing as he do so, Polly suddenly felt heat radiate from his hands and an extrinsic feeling spurted as if something relaxing followed through.

"Are you an angel?" Polly blinked twice as she looked closely at the beautiful man slowly opening his eyes, his deep blue eyes glowing.

"I believe I was born not. But it was profound of you to think I am one. I am honored my lady." he bowed a little and smiled back at Polly showing pearly white teeth and she couldn't help but smile back.

"Are you sure she is our maiden?! I foresee another battle lost and our lives dimmed eradication at its soonest." another huge man from not so far bellowed mockingly as he fixed a disgusted gaze on Polly.

"Gethin! Will you please. My lady, please allow me to accompany you outside as the moon has reached its spellbinding magnificence." Adalulf held his hand out and smiled waiting for Polly’s response. She didn't think twice as she put her hands in his and was mesmerized by how Adalulf sounded so much of Shakespeare, which was so pleasing to the ears.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"You must have been very confused and not accustomed to living with the boys. I fervently am sorry. We could have organized a much comfortable abode or a much better embark about this situation, but we couldn't and didn't have much time left. I do hope that with time passing by swiftly you are understanding the hopes each of us, werewolves, are dreaming of." they are already outside the balcony of the structure and the surrounding was so serene having a grassland with a few trees swaying to the wind and from close by the forest seemed to have a party with its joyous aura.

"I'm dumbfounded. Yes. But what is with tonight? It feels different. I feel..." Polly looked at Adalulf and saw him smiling, slightly awestruck.

"My lady, tonight was the first full moon. Every living entity, especially those who and are connected to the power of the moon, are having a feast." as if solving a riddle, Polly knitted her eyebrows and said.

"I don't get it... I'm sorry I don't understand." she bowed her head and heaved a deep sigh.

"I think this night is good for story telling. Are you fond of eccentric stories Polly?" Adalulf ushered Polly to the nearest walnut slab bench and they sat beside each other while the petite lady whose beautiful face is already wrinkled with confusion. He heard the latter heaved another sigh before looking back at him with pleading round eyes and nodded.

"I want to understand everything... I'd love to hear your story." though weakly, still Polly mastered a smile and sat comfortably, all ears to what she will hear.

"As you wish your majesty. I needed first to let you know that we, werewolves, are not savage monsters. When we turn into our other selves, our thinking is still the same though our bodies and power gets to its full potential. By blood heritage is where we got our power, both magically and physically, it will be and could only be passed on by lineage. Our ancestors were named, Longtooth, Gaihla, Hightongue, Wildeye and as I assumed you've heard, Grayback. Longtooth, as drained from my great grandmother...was the right hand of Grayback during the grudge war against life. You see, we were born and raised with not so much like us around. The vampires and werewolves are severed of life hence it was ruinous to keep more of us while human race multiply over time. Our creatures are alike, feeding on blood and gaining strength moreover flesh, impromptu self healing, ageless upon reaching maturity, killed by silver though killing by cross or sunlight aren't true by tiny bit, in totality the only difference is that we are half man half lupine in the outer and them chiroptera. The vampires, whose ancestor I could only make out of, Lukas, was the one who started the blood and life feud, he thought of werewolves as competition over the necessity and would not agree on fair share. Hence, he committed mass murders on our brethren around the globe, he did that to threaten us and claim that if we do not lead our clan into the underworld and submit our lives to the reapers he would just slay us all in the most merciless way ever. They wanted and started war whereas, we wanted to live peacefully as much as wanted to be hidden at all cost. Grayback was the alpha, he led the werewolves to revolt against the vampires. Gaihla, the druidess and the only source of magic for the werewolves called up to the spirit of the wolf and asked for guidance and strength as we battle the growing army of vampires. Longtooth, being the brainy and strategic one laid out all possible plan we could use. Hightongue was full of strength during the surge of war hence he lost his wife and son to the vampires, agreed to take full pledge on avenging their death. Wildeye on the other hand can call nature's spirit and use it's ability to defense. The war started and numerous lives on both sides were claimed. None of which Grayback ever wanted but still Lukas insisted. The ancestors were lost at how Lukas managed to led his entire army at the battlefield and almost lost all of it but didn't retreat. They were aghast when Lukas was able to send an entire army again of vampires whereas the werewolves couldn't count numbers anymore. That made Grayback call for a retreat..."

Polly's mouth was open with eyes almost popping out of its socket. She couldn't tell whether the story is real or fictitious as she only saw this in movie.

"When did this happen? I.. I mean.. for real?!?! Vampires and werewolves exist? I mean... to be honest this could really make a good movie Sir Adalulf." Polly was stammering and at lost for words.

"No need. The vampires already made one out of it and they were very good at it's casting I say. However, none of us care. We only want to be hidden and live as peaceful as possible. Sometimes some of us thinks submitting to the reapers would be the best resolution but during our dreary state the nature calls for positivity and the spirits that guides us, including Gaihla herself, calls out to compose our minds and head on. The battle continued for centuries, though and slowly we gained pace with vampires and to our surprise their full with arms at hand already. Longtooth was the one who found the reason behind the propagation of the vampires and it was because of the ninetails. They captured a few ninetails and threatened them that if vampires and ninetails won't conceive, us, werewolves would diminish them all for power. So to win against us, they need to multiply their army with as many as possible and with that the ninetails agreed knowing they conceive real fast and in no time their youngs can mature in no time. Vampires are manipulative as they are very keen on this ability and with no arguments those ninetails that was captured helped carry out their plan."

"Whoa! Wait wait, ninetails and vampires? How did they conceive? I mean... bats and foxes?" Polly couldn't be more silly than she is that time.

"My lady why are you so naive on this? The ninetails are known to shapeshift, and as deadly as it can be, they transform to those of absolutely tempting women. They are succubus the least we could say and yet at this time of my existence, I have never met a ninetail in her succubus form. Going back, the vampires plan on eliminating us are pushing through and the last resolve Grayback could think of is to call the Tree of Life. This is where it started and you came to our lives your majesty." Adalulf smiled genuinely and held Polly's small hands, sending warmth and caress over the stressful turn of event for the young one.

"Tree of Life.... I think.. I kinda know it..." Polly nodded slowly.

"The Tree of Life sprung to existence with the call of our ancestors, it needed their lives to have the titans and all life guarding entities to shield them from the vampires. The condition was that, none of the vampires could kill any of the werewolves unless it is for another life. A life for a life as it says if this would be bent the clan who is proven guilty would be wiped out. In order to maintain the tree's existence though, an elixir is necessary and that elixir are to be provided by both parties. 12 seeds will be be generated every lifetime or should I say everytime that life on this planet decrease by figures. Those 12 seeds will be contained to the willful descendants of each kind, wherein soon as it is produced the clan will have a thirst for kiss, which means hunger for blood and flesh. To stop the hunger, 2 maidens will arise from the middle party, humans in that case, to conceive and bear the elixir. Once conceived, the elixir will mature in the maiden's womb and at its full age the titans themselves would accompany the maidens to offer the elixir to the Tree of Life."

"I.. I... So... So there is another maiden?" Polly was shocked and couldn't move from where she was seated.

"Yes, there is. However, at this point, the vampires haven't found her yet. This is the first time we went ahead of them in finding the chosen maiden, that is why, we want to ensure your safety."

"Why? Am I in danger?"

"Remember the encounter by the beach? That is Viktor, the vampire prince, he is greedy, abominable, detestable yet powerful and very dangerous. He wants you because you’re already an instant pick, no need to hunt down the other maiden. If their plan on capturing you and turning you as their maiden, failed, they will instead inflict harm on you so you won't be able to conceive and bear the elixir properly. But I must insist that you give us a chance on proving that we can be men as well and we don't mean harm." Adalulf's face was calm and his bearded face showed a plea that Polly had seen in the eyes of EXO members the first time she saw them transform.

"I don't intend to turn sides. I know where I should be now and... exactly what I should do." Polly's face went fixed, clenching her jaw and eyes fiery with want to help the werewolves than any other matter at stake.