C7: Diary I

Living Half a Life

"Polly, please calm down. We'll explain everything if you just calm down first and sit." Suho attempted to hold her but she just swung her arms and stepped back afraid of contact from any of them.

"No. I am living a very normal life as a nobody and then you all came, brought me here and who knows what'll happen next?" face unreadable for she herself don't know either what to expect. She's scared for unknown reason, her typically speedy analization process went down the drain.

"Polly please... I know you're confused, scared and all but please trust us. This is for your safety and your family too." Baekhyun started glowing that she had to cover her eyes from the sudden brightness in the room. Being out of focus momentarily, Tao took the chance and backhugged Polly, leaving the girl no room for escape but to sit according to Suho's lead.

"Polly, I am so sorry. Please just let us explain, I can't stand seeing you hate us or worst fear us." Tao said in between his whimpers having Polly soften in an instant, unclenching her fists in a matter of seconds.

"Okay.." with a sigh, Polly tried all her might to stay calm and focus her attention on the group. Gathering her reamining energy as to what she would find out.

"I will start from the very beginning but please don't freak out." Suho sat down on the opposite seat.

"We are not who you think we are. We are werewolves that feed on blood and meat. Our clan is soon to be extinct as our rival, the vampires, murdered most of our kind to stop conception. You see, the reason they are on the upper hand is because they are the ones who gets to produce the perfect elixir of life. With such combination and timing the seeds that their elders are implanting on the chosen maiden produces an amount enough to battle the elixir of life, us, werewolves can produce. This has been ongoing for ages and history repeats itself every time a chosen maiden comes to life. Now, the elixir of life is the one maintaining the balance of life here on earth, Tree of Life, it's called but the elixir that vampires offers to it, gives them the power to take control and all we can do is to hide ourselves, never to start a battle with them. Well that's their plan, but in  the real context the balance gives fair share and coexistence on every being alive. It's just that vampires, they want to reign th-" Suho paused as Polly held her hand motioning him to stop.

"Wait .. too many information... give me something to read... A book or notes of this vampires, werewolves whatever you are called. I can't process it like this." Polly said as she breathed out heavily trying to immerse herself with the story being told by Suho. But the more he goes on with it, the more it becomes unreal to Polly, she needs to see , to read something that would would make her brain cells work and analyze everything.

When did I ever audition for Twilight's casting. she thought to herself.

"I'm sorry,  what do you mean?" Chen asked.

"I said I need a book where all of these are written. I can't understand a word Suho is saying, I'm not comprehending." Polly nswered and with that Kai disappeared in a wisp of air and returned in the same spot holding a huge book that looked like centuries thick.

"Kai... what the.." Chanyeol widened his eyes in amusement.

"What? Polly asked for a book. This is a book. Here it goes." Kai carefully put down the book on the table.

"Suho please continue..." Polly asked Suho as she turn the pages of the book looking at the bizarre writings and figures. The many books she read, from school books to anything under the sun, this one is never before seen. She couldn't understand anyhting on it but the figures helped her figure out a few on Suho's mentions.

"Ok.. as I was saying, vampires are reigning our world little do humans know though." Suho went on but Polly came across a page that made her all ears on just the elixir of life.

"Go straight to the point on the elixir of life. I have a feeling that's why I am involved." Polly said to no one in particular as she scan the page of a book where a figure of a woman was drawn and the the scribbles pointing to her anatomy.

"That's actually correct. The elixir of life can only be produced by a woman. The seeds however are distributed to 12 graybacks and these seeds once implanted in the chosen maiden creates the elixir of life. Once every lifetime the seeds will be produced per clan and they just need to find the allocated maiden to have it implanted." Suho finished and every one held their breathe as Polly looked up from scanning the book.

"This maiden can't be just anyone in particular. It has to be exactly who or what?" Polly asked though she already have an idea that she knows the answer.

"Exactly like you." Suho dropped the sugar-coating and went straight to the point.

Aha! Exactly me? Nice! Where did I leave my passport again? , I need to go home as in now.

Polly's mouth was pursed, face expressionless but in the nook of her brain, every nerve ending is alert and processing everything as if on a marathon. 

Where do I go? Wait I need my passport first. Where am I by the way? I want to go home. I need refuge from vampires and werewolves too... wait, what? she thought while looking back at the page she paused at.

"Polly, I know this shocking but let D.O. explain." Suho sighed before allowing D.O. to take over.

"Your pheromones were sensed not too long ago Polly. We have a hospital you worked for before and believe me, we traced, followed, tested and even compared your data with the previous maiden who passed it on to you. And after so long, all boiled down to one result. That indeed it is you, our chosen maiden. Even at the beach, your smell outstands peculiarity." D.O's voice was calm and knowing not the typical emotionless one.

"Polly please don't be scared. All we want is for you to be safe and the elixir to be conceived, so the battle for the upper hand can be concluded." Tao said as he sat on the space beside Polly. When Tao speaks, he so much reminds Polly of Yeye and with that thought, she was back to being skeptic. No.

"What did you say again about protecting my family?" Polly remembered as she inquired Baekhyun.

"Well, 'cause you know, the vampires are wicked. They can manipulate anyone and they can be very violent whenever they like to. So..." Baekhyun massaged his nape tossing around s for help.

"So we needed to erase all trace of you being part of the human world. It's all including your workplace, friends, school, relatives and family. We did what we have to, so vampires wouldn't find anything to hold against you." Minseok spoke and all eyes darted to him.

"Come again? Erase me? Elaborate please. It appears that I can't comprehend what you've just said." Polly stood up rather hastily, clenching her fists in the process.

"You are erased from your family's memory. Nobody from your home knows you or even remember you ever existed." Minseok said in a matter-of-factly tone that increased the now raging woman's blood temperature.

"Ah.. so I'm erased. Cool. Your super powers have brought good deed for the betterment of the world I guess. How well thought of." Polly mimicked his tone though with gritted teeth as every word spoke dug nails deep in her palm.

"Polly please don't think like that." Chanyeol moved towards Polly coming from the other side of the room and was about to grab her hand but Polly swatted him forcefully, ending with a nasty slapping noise.

"After the conception of elixir, there will be titans who will assess the result before offering it to the Tree of Life. Once the elixir is engulfed, the chosen maiden who produced the perfect elixir will take the upperhand and be able to choose a life of eternity or a decision." Suho blurted with a blank face.

"What decision?" Polly furrowed her brows staring down on Suho.

"You can decide on whatever you want to have for the rest of your life. It's like a wish from a genie." Chen finished what Suho started.

"Oh, how fascinating, so I can decide that none of this happened and I never knew any one of you." sarcastically Polly gave a mirthless laugh but felt sudden pain writhe across her head that made her stop.

The pain on the same side of her head that causes her to be dizzy was nothing compared to the realization that her family doesn't remember her at all. How agonizing it is to reflect on just what a memory has to offer with all those people in it not knowing they were part of someone's life. It's like watching the world slowly fade away into a dark abyss that Polly's heart shattered into pieces with so much emotion all at once. Though the torment haven't completely made her insane, the only consolation she could make out of it is that all the people she loves and care for are safe, alive, away from any danger that may happen.

"I think we've had enough for tonight. Luhan accompany her to the room she will be occupying." Minseok spoke after a good few minutes of silence. Polly didn't bother fighting back as Luhan guided her towards the hallway to her room. It was a defeaning silence after Polly's gone and everyone didn't make a sound nor move.

 

---------------------------------------

The room she occupied was huge and the bed was comfortable but the throbbing headache plus her emotional distress made it feel all so suffocating. Everything is slowly sinking in, her brain trying to make the most logic out of the situation. Feeling hollow, Polly felt like throwing up everytime she try to move. Luhan left her with a glass of water and for who knows how long she has been seated on the foot of the bed looking at it like it would solve her problems. The usual Polly is nowhere to be found, she used to find an escape route to any dead end she encountered but now everything looks unreal. No way out, no means to go back but just to accept what she had seen within just little amount of time.

There must be some way. I'm just a nobody I couldn't be part of any of these. Heck with what EXO really are! finally getting tired of her unmoving position, Polly plopped herself onto the bed, tossing, turning and screaming her lungs out against the pillow. It was when she rested her head on one side that she caught sight of a silvery box that shone from the light shimmering through the window. It was a small box that was hidden between the space of the cabinet and the floor.

Silver box? Werewolves can die with silver, right? This might be the solution? This is the weapon I can kill them with. Polly hesitated for a moment but still gave in to the urge to get up and grab the box. As she opened the mysterious box, she was aghast to see a black leather book that is a little new than the book Kai handed a while ago. Polly was about to open the book when a note fell from it,

'Please do be careful with my diary as it is precious and please make good use of this to make most of your decisions.'

"Diary?! Whom could this be? One of the EXO members? Wow! Werewolves keep a diary?! Seriously? I never had one myself." snickering to herself with the thought, Polly proceeded on opening the book but alas, it didn't flip no matter how hard she try to pull it. She was about to give up on it and throw it back to the box when a silver lock just right in the middle glistened all of a sudden. It looked like an emblem nonetheless one can figure out a lock on it. She it with her index finger and a sudden click  was heard making her jolt. Just right then, the diary flipped open and as Polly touched the first page of it , a sudden gush of wind kissed her cheeks. The first thing that came to Polly's attention was that the diary written in English, odd she thought, nontheless she abruptly laid on her chest atop the bed, propping her elbows for support and started reading the diary.

'To the chosen maiden,

By the time you are reading this, you already know that not only humans and animals are the living creatures in this planet. There are more than what meets the eyes. Anyhow, you by now might be very confused and shocked or saddened by what the situation is. What I can say is, smile my lady, there is always a light after a dark tunnel. You should be strong, not only mentally but physically also. I am telling you now that what you will face is no joke, maidens are humans and the seeds are coming from non-humans therefore physical strength is necessary. Secondly, the graybacks differ from each life cycle, some are just brute and some aren't. You just need to get to know them so you would understand their true nature and trust is something you must have in them the entire process. The werewolves' history are in the following pages, my lady, I included it since their ancient book is hard to decipher so I transcribed it for you, the Elder Willow taught and helped me during the entire transcription. By that, you will know why, a human and a doctor like me agreed in this process knowing that I would lose all that I have. It may be partly personal but majority of my decision accepting the role is because of the werewolves themselves. Harsh and scary they may seem but on the inside they are merely toddlers to me, needing nurturing, needing assurance, care, love and most of all acceptance. I do hope you will understand what I'm trying to imply and as you go by the pages, hopefully, you will be able to make up your mind.'

P.S.

Oh and by the way, God forbid those pale, clammy, heartless bloodsuckers but nature's winning the werewolves! They are by genes gorgeous and cunningly hot, one couldn't resist. Might help you decide.'

"What the?! Was she seduced by the graybacks from her time?! What's with her?" feeling so curious what else will be unearthed from the diary, Polly continued to read through and was so immersed in it she didn't notice the light shining through the curtains. Slow knocks from the door brought her back to reality.

"Polly, please you need to eat not for anything else but for your own health. I'll leave the food by the kitchen table." Tao's voice croaked and Polly's stomach made a loud grumble, however she fought back the urge to open the door for she is almost at the last few leaves of the diary and can't stop reading. Tao didn't try asking once more but by about lunchtime Polly was done reading. She looked further at the silver box if there is anything else in there hence the diary seemed incomplete. Though, the entire of it helped her understand the current situation, Polly still couldn't help but contemplate whilst laying on her back, staring blankly at the ceiling.

'They are werewolves, yes, but she characterized the vampires as more savage than any other creature alive. Why aren't they any better? Werewolves seemed far more frightening than vampires but I haven't seen them transform yet. Maybe I should get to know them better like she said.'