C9: Werewolves

Living Half a Life

Polly heard leaves rustling from every corner and footsteps not normal for a human being sounded rushed. As the footsteps grew louder , she gasped for more air nervously waiting what would come out behind the trees. And after a few seconds, a colossal black figure appeared, body covered in fur and eyes glowing jade in color, shoulders were wide enough to cover four people and muscles sprouted all over its elongated arms and legs, standing on what looked like a monstrous feet, it’s height reaching around 15 feet tall with claws that can kill anyone in one strike. Its eyes widened and backed a couple of steps away when it met Polly's gaze. After being immobile for a good few seconds, another one of the same figure appeared but this time with azure eyes.

For a while Polly thought of screaming but being too surprised by the sudden appearance of the enormous beings, her breath was stuck somewhere and couldn’t move from her spot by the door. Her brain was taking in the creatures in front of her and the movement they made upon seeing her. It was as if scared of her.

“W-what are you?” Polly inquired, though at the back of her mind she knew what they were, werewolves.

“Please Polly, close the door and will come inside once we are more, uhm, decent.” The one with azure eyes said and Polly jumped out of shock as it spoke really clearly without any garbled sound.

The plea did go unnoticed to Polly, she was trudging to the werewolves who backs away further at every forward step she takes.

“Wait a minute! Why are you backing away as if you’re scared of me! I just wanted to see you both up close and feel if you are real.” Polly burst out angrily as the two werewolves stop moving and let the woman get closer to them.

Polly’s neck was craning to take a better look of the werewolve’s face, astonished at how it looked down on her but she didn’t feel scared. It’s snout reminds her of a wolf but then its glowing eyes looked more of a Siberian husky, she thought as for lack of better comparison. The elongated arms with protruding muscles are covered in soft furs and Polly was enticed to touch those. The claws it had were supposedly frightful to look at but Polly was amazed with how huge it was that her own hand looked so little in it. She shifted her gaze to the other werewolf with azure eyes and saw that its ears, originally pointing up was now down as if she reprimanded it or so the like.

“Wow. So, there are really werewolves. I’m really…I don’t know.” Polly muttered more to herself as her discovery felt more astonishing instead of frightening. Should she be scared? Should she be screaming and running away from them? But as she look at the two creatures before her, their eyes bore more emotion than actually what could be spoken of. It glistened and shone in their respective colors, transpiring fear, guilt, anguish and lot more that it swirled all in Polly’s heart.

“What’s the halt about Kris, Suho?” an angry voice boomed from the back of the werewolf with azure eyes, followed by loud and heavy footsteps that the trees shook a little. The latter mentioned stepped aside and Polly’s eyes were saucers wide in split seconds.

In front of her stood ten more of the same creatures, different hues of eyes directed towards her but the one in front with deep lavender made a growl while baring fangs. Polly jumped out of shock that she needed to clutch a bundle of the werewolf’s arm fur for support. She isn’t the usual scaredy cat but the fangs would definitely hurt if pierced through the skin for sure. The werewolf she grasped took her movement as his cue to speak.

“Minseok, calm down, you are scaring Polly. She knows now that werewolves do really exist.” Huffing as he spoke, Polly let go of his fur rather harshly as she gave him a stinky eye.

“What?! You said that a while ago, didn’t you? I got Suho testifying for me woman.” He continued as Polly kicked him in the shin or so what it is should have been in human form. The kick was like a tickle of air to the werewolf and the other made inaudible noises that made Polly look to them again.

“Well, I guess my questions are somehow answered upon seeing you all.” Shrugging her shoulders and pocketing her hands on her jeans, Polly felt so small amongst the humungous beings.

“Polly, I will suggest again you go back inside and we’ll come right after we are decent.” The azure eyed werewolf who was Suho as Polly deciphered spoke and she was about to follow him this time but intrigued by their sudden werewolf change, the lady asked away.

“Hang on, why are you all suddenly werewolves by the way? I mean why the sudden change in appearance? Is something happening I should be aware of at least?” Polly was fascinated by what she is seeing but all the more intrigued as to why she had to see them in their werewolf form out of the blue.

“We are conjuring the perimeters. The vampire who touched you last night would be coming back for sure so we have to be prepared.” Suho answered her in a very calm manner though deep inside his heart is pounding harshly as if expecting something to happen.

“Speaking of which, you really need to go back inside Polly ‘cause having you out here in the open is like vampire-baiting. Though we wouldn’t mind a chaos, we’d rather not.” His eyes glowed ash in color and a tint of jade deepened in hue as he spoke.

“Luhan? Oh, so it was a vampire last night. Actually…” Polly was able to pin point Luhan out of the bunch because of the time she spent looking at those same eye color by the beach yesterday morning. She was troubled by the news of another creature in her slowly growing vocabulary of mythical terms when the voice from a while back came hunting her again. It meant no harm, it sounded to Polly, but knowing it could be another vampire within the very premise, she thought the werewolves ought to know.

“What?” Minseok asked coldly and Polly squinted her eyes at him knowing for sure it was no other than the guy she despise the most among the group.

“Someone or something whispered to me a while ago and that’s why I came out wanting to confront you guys what’s going on.” Polly responded back earning shocked glances from the werewolves.

“Inside now. We’ll get decent and meet you in the living room. Move now.” Minseok said in a very authoritative tone that not only Polly move but the rest of the group as well.

Speeding toward the front door, Polly entered the house and went straight to the living room pacing back and forth, unsure of what’s going to happen. Not even a minute and the group started piling in the living room fully clothed that Polly looked intensely at every single one of them awaiting the claws and fur.

“We’re not going to transform Polly don’t worry.” Chen stated with a gleeful tone very different from how they sounded a while ago.

“Well, I was actually waiting for furs to just appear. They looked fluffy.” Sighing that she isn’t going to see the black furs again, Polly took a seat by the couch.

“Fluffy?! I looked fluffy to you?!” Kris retorted and the others snorted at his outburst.

“Uhm, yeah sort of. I held you earlier right? So, yes, you were fluffy.” Polly didn’t know the proper adjectives to describe what it felt to hold onto a werewolf, that was Kris, except for the term fluffy. It sounded so adorable to her ears that she forgot she’s pertaining to fang-filled creatures.

“Listen lady, never in my entire existence has someone called me fluffy. That is a total wretched way of describing me. Never, ever tell anyone that again, understood?” Kris sounded really serious but Polly scrunched her brows confused as to why he can’t accept the fact that he is indeed, fluffy.

“As if I can go around and tell anyone, ‘Hey, I’ve seen a werewolf and he’s so fluffy I’m gonna die!’ that would sound so wrong.” Polly answered back and a bawl of laughter emit from the others who’s listening to their conversation. As to what’s so funny, Polly didn’t understand but she can see Kris’ mouth closing then opening again, unable to speak any longer he just waved his hand and surrendered.

“Okay, enough of fluffiness werewolves. Polly, I need you to tell us in detail what’s with the whisper and all.” Minseok just entered the house and slowly the laughter died down.

“Uhm, about that. Well, it was just out of nowhere but it sounded so clear as if it’s just in the same room but this time it’s a girl’s voice.” Polly started and all eyes focused on her.

“What did she want?” Minseok asked further.

“She warned me about a certain Viktor and told me not to go out of the house alone because he’s watching me. That was what creeped me out so I wanted to confront you all about it.” Polly finished and saw that most of them are in deep thoughts.

“I didn’t know anyone or any creature that can pass through the barrier without my knowledge.” Kris said and Polly looked at him with interest.

“Neither did I feel anything from earlier today. We’ve been out since morning but I could definitely sense nothing passing through our barriers.” D.O. said that made Polly switched her gaze to him.

“So, you mean it could be not a vampire?” Polly was following through their statements and somehow she kind of worried it was a vampire intrusion or the like.

“Negative. No chakra nor aura of a bloodsucker was within the area from earlier or even now. I’ll keep this info for the time being, Polly anything as creepy or weird as like this ever happen tell us immediately.” Minseok sounded his usual cold, commanding self but Polly felt a little concern on his words.

“How would I tell you immediately no one was here! I searched every room but you were all gone and when I tried to approach Kris and Suho they backed away. Am I a plague to you or some sort? I don’t know anymore, you’re all confusing.” Massaging her temples because of the strangeness of these creatures, Polly only can heave a deep breath.

“Weren’t you scared of us? We were like, towering you earlier and our claws can slice you in half. Plus, Minseok showed you his fangs. Weren’t you at least frightened?” Luhan asked and Polly thought deeply of her answer.

“I don’t know. I was shocked but not to the extent I am crawling in fright. I was rather, intrigued. I wanted to see if you were real.” Polly honestly answered and she saw some of them with eyes glistening. Tao surprised Polly by kneeling by her side hugging her knees and calves.

“Thank you Polly, very much. You don’t know how much that meant.” Tao squeezed her leg more and the next thing she knew another set of arms flung around enveloping her torso.

“Fearing us is something I grew accustomed to and this reaction from you is the very first I’ve seen my entire life. Thank you.” Sehun sniffed and Polly figured they were the few of the taller figures of the group and their hugged meant well but suddenly she felt their strength because breathing became difficult.

“Uhm, yeah your most welcome but can you both let go, I’m dying.” Polly tapped Sehun’s arm and Tao’s head, luckily they both followed.

“Ow, sorry we were just overwhelmed.” Sehun said and the others sniggered at their actions.

The evening went by rather smoothly and Polly grew fond of the younger ones as what Suho informed her. They filled her in with their abilities, how transformation works, feeding and all the likes. Dinner went with the pack each with blood bags and Polly with a sandwich.

“Uhm, I find it odd. Why were you drinking blood? I thought vampires do that?” Polly asked as each one slowly sipped on their pouch.

"That's those stupid movies concept, like what Suho said the other day, the tree of life should connote balance, fair share to all but those bloodsuckers made it look like we, werewolves, are hideous, savage monsters that kills humans or animals to feed. In reality, we don't need to kill anyone or anything. So long there is blood we will be able to survive and meat just strengthens us." Kai explained with a very serious tone.

"We can actually survive with one blood bag in a week's time but now that we have you, we need more stamina and muscles." Sehun flexed his arms as if there were biceps and triceps that would form and Polly chuckled at the sight.

"I see. But why exactly you need to protect me like your lives depend on it?" asked Polly, getting the gyst of the vampire tyranny.

"Polly you are our maiden. We found you first and they haven't located the other maiden yet. It's either they will hurt you so you won't conceive properly, giving them the upper hand instantly or they will make you their maiden by force leaving us back to square one." Tao joined our conversation after hearing my questions about the vampires' act.

"I see. But that's not fair. I thought the tree of life promotes balance, they don't see this coming?" Polly was suddenly outspoken with the tree of life this pack is trying to please.

"Polly, the tree of life is literally a tree. Its only purpose is to maintain life depending on the elixir given. The ones guarding it don't care how the elixir is conceive. So long it gets conceived." Kai moved closer to my side to grab one last remaining blood bag.

Polly and her train of thoughts went back to the diary and the contents of how exactly it matches all of their story. She felt like the more understanding she gets from the werewolves, the more she knows what she really wants.

“Polly, tomorrow one from our clan will be here to see you. Don’t worry he’s super friendly so he’ll make you a good company since we’re going to be out most of the day again.” Suho explained and Polly just nodded. Accepting all of the situation wasn’t that too hard if you understand from point zero, Polly thought.