(6)

Absolute Levity

"Welcome, dear members of the Republic Of Korea Council Of Gangs." A man in a suit and an earpiece attached to his left ear said through the mike on the podium, an elevated platform at the front of the hall, as soon as the students settled down on the floor. The man stood with pride, chest huffed and looking at the newcomers smugly.

"Firstly, I would like to thank dear council members Jang Dongwoo and Lee Howon for joining the school for yet another year. Your dedication in educating our rookies is greatly appreciated." The man paused, and then his smug smile turning into something with more seriousness, as if expressing the weight of the matter.

"Students, although you should probably have been informed by your respective gangs and groups, I would like to kindly remind - if you are certain that you want to join our activities, you are not allowed to cause harm to the public or reveal the presence of such association as our own to the public. It is a dishonor to your group members and you will be decapitated-" he managed to spit out the word, syllable by syllable spitefully, and then continued, "-at once. Do not have doubt in my word, for we have our eyes on you. Especially you. Thank you for your cooperation and kind attention." He returned to his smug self, and then left the podium. What an opening speech.

"Well, there's still the rest of the day to make friends." Heejin muttered under her breath. The rest of the so-called 'students' (more like gangsters - this is the real gangster school) went to their first class of the day, and for Heejin - she glanced to her schedule - "Oh, okay, IT. That sounds normal. At Class No.B34... where's that?" Heejin frowns as she stares at the slip of paper in her hand, and then adjusts the strap of her bag. "Might as well ask for directions." She shrugged as she walked along the hallway.

Just then, the said Hoya guy passed by. "Uh, Mr Lee? Or should I call you Hoya?"

"Hoya's fine. What's wrong?" Hoya looked at her schedule pointedly.

"Where's Class No.B34?"

​"Basement. Here, let me show you there. After class, I can show you around this place."

"Sure, that'll be great!" Heejin smiled genuinely; it's nice to know someone cares and understands her abnormal situation - or does he? She could just explain to him later.

"There's also some guys I want you to meet. The campus lacks girls, I realized, you might require some people looking out for you - so, lunch with me?"

"Thank you, that's really thoughtful of you, but I don't want to burden you."

"Not at all; any friend of Sunggyu's is mine. By the way, all classes starting with B means basement. The IT class is Basement Level 3 Classroom No.4. Nothing complex." He explained.

"Thanks a lot, Hoya." Heejin shyly bowed to him before entering class.

"No problem. Dongwoo's your IT teacher, by the way. We promised Sunggyu to look after you." Hoya left with a smile. Heejin felt clueless to the situation yet again. First, Sunggyu forced her into this complicated world her late fiancé was involved in, then he refused (and still is refusing) to tell her what is actually going on, and then he makes her go to a school for bullies, but suddenly he makes his friend/colleague/acquaintance keep an eye out for her. Is Sunggyu bipolar or does he have a split personality?

IT class was unusual - Dongwoo briefly explained the syllabus, it was filled with things like 'structures of basic security systems' and 'how to hack', also 'detecting electronic devices'. After the whole one and a half hour, Heejin realized that this wasn't really a school filled with bullies - surprisingly, there was more brain than brawn in this whole affair - this is technically spy school.