(1)

Absolute Levity

Upon hearing the news of Sungyeol's death, Heejin was devastated. It had woken her up at 2 am, shaken her up and made her run to the hospital, only to meet pitiful expressions from his friends. She could not sleep well that night, crying at the thought of losing the person she had planned to spend forever with. Today, Heejin had decided she would be hanging around with her closest friends, Park Jimin and Baek Yerin. The two girls are performers, or more specifically, singers. They formed a duo which they named 15& and Heejin's been managing them ever since. Yes, they are pretty close.


She donned a leather coat on top of her grey-blue jumper. She had a knee-length pleated light yellow chiffon skirt on and a skin-colored pantyhose, and paired it of with her favorite navy blue heels, for a boost of confidence. She was going out to have coffee with Yerin and Jimin.

Maybe it would calm me down, she thought. Maybe it was best to take her mind of things, or at least clear her mind so she can think straight again. Please, Choi Heejin is stronger than that, she had repeatedly told herself every time she wanted to break down. For the umpteenth time, she reassured herself so no one around her asked her about it. Nevertheless, the fact Sungyeol died could not easily be kept a secret. Sungyeol died in a way Heejin did not at all expect, beaten up by street-side gangsters. Who would have known, right? Now it is all over the news and newspapers, and everyone around her is either really ignorant or scared to mention it.

She strode as jocundly as she could, fighting the urge to just abruptly burst into tears. She knew full well what would happen if she did, and it would not be pretty. She was the sort to cry silently, without anyone's knowledge, except maybe with her two best friends. Arriving at the cafe that the girls had agreed upon, she looked around to see that the other two was not there. She went to the counter and ordered a hot vanilla green tea latte. She texted the other girls on where they were, and soon received a reply.

"I'm so sorry, Heejin, we're at a performance. We heard about what happened, don't worry, you can take your rest. We didn't tell you because it was a last-minute addition, and you shouldn't need to worry anyway. We'll be okay, just wish for the best for us, okay?" Jimin explained. Heejin was angry; how could they leave her out? She thought they agreed that all three of them have to give commitment and the same amount of participation, why is it now that she is excused? Disappointed, she sat herself down onto one of the tables for two and sipped the green tea latte slowly. Suddenly, someone comes into view and seats himself in front of her. He looks familiar, but Heejin cannot quite put a finger on it.

"Uh, hi?"

"You don't recognize me?" The so-called stranger said.

"You're one of Sungyeol's friends, right?" Heejin said unsurely.

The latter nodded. "Yeah, it's Sunggyu." He held out his hand, which she accepted and shook. 

"Hi, Sunggyu. What might possibly bring you here? If it's condolences, you should probably send it to his family, not me." Heejin waves him off, taking another sip of her latte.

"Oh, condolences, yeah, I'm done with that. Actually, Sungyeol had told us to take care of you if he passes away." Sunggyu stated.

"That's really weird. Did he predict his own death?" Heejin asked sarcastically.

Sunggyu only chuckles at her headstrong attitude; so much like Sungyeol at times. "No, I don't think so. The things we do, it's kind of an occupational hazard." Sunggyu explained vaguely, and Heejin frowns.

"If you want to tell me something, get to the point." Heejin snapped.

"Okay, please, just listen, I'll cut to the chase." Sunggyu begged. Heejin signaled for him to go on. "Here's the thing, you stay with us, you get a room in our place, you get a job. And if you decline, we're taking everything Sungyeol gave you, because he worked for us, so technically, everything he owned, we own."

Heejin's brows furrowed even more as she showed confusion. Sunggyu waited for the information to sink in. Heejin opened , "Okay, sure. When do I move in? What do I bring along? Where is this place? Do you need my phone number? Because I need yours."

"01#-#######. Whatsapp me." Sunggyu said simply and got up to leave. He shoved a few dollar notes into her hand, coaxing her to take it. 

"Wait," Heejin said softly, "Why so suddenly? I don't know what's coming, why should I agree to this? You barely told me anything." Heejin shoved the money back into Sunggyu's hand. "And I'll work for my money."

Sunggyu shook his head disapprovingly, not saying anything. He just smiled slightly and left.

Heejin was confused, but suddenly, her phone vibrated. Unknown number, 01#-#######, message wrote: Here's the address; <Fill in the blanks with whatever you want.>

Heejin took her latte and headed to the said address by taxi.

A/N: Numbers have been censored for security purposes.