(2)

Absolute Levity

The taxi pulled up to the curb and Heejin paid the driver before bidding him goodbye, something she usually would not do. She stood in front of a huge penthouse, about three and a half stories and about an acre of land. She rang the doorbell and another familiar face greeted her.

"Heejin! I thought you'll never come!" The man said. Heejin was really confused now; he was expecting her? But Sunggyu just told her, she came ASAP. How could he be expecting her? There was no assurance she would even agree. Nevertheless, she followed the man in.

"I'm sure you don't remember me." The man started. "We didn't meet much when Sungyeol was with you. He was really overprotective, no one expected he'd leave us boys in charge of his most treasured possession; you." Heejin was slightly flattered at how he described her, but she kept a neutral expression. "Anyway, now you're here and that's all that matters. Oh, I'm Sungjong." He finally introduced himself.

"I guess you already know me." Heejin said noncommittally.

"Well, apart from your name, not really. We should get to know each other when we get the time. Right now, I'll have to pass you to Myungsoo." Just as Sungjong mentioned his name, the said Myungsoo appeared. Sungjong waved to Heejin in which she subtly returned and then looked intently at Myungsoo.

"You must be Myungsoo. What do you guys do that puts lives at risk?" Heejin goes straight to her intended question.

"That's leader-nim's job to explain. I have to show you around." Myungsoo replied simply. "We'll start with this level. We're currently in the living room, the corridor to the left leads to the kitchen and the dining hall, beyond the door to your front is our study, the stairs lead to... well, upstairs. Outside, as you can see through the sliding door, is the garden. No one really plants but the chef plants his herbs there." Myungsoo took Heejin by the hand and led her upstairs to the second floor.

"The second floor is where Sunggyu and my room are. Also, it's where some of our employees stay. There's one toilet connecting mine and Sunggyu's room, and another toilet connecting the two employees' room." Again, Myungsoo led Heejin up to another level by her wrist.

"This floor is where Woohyun, Sungjong and yourself will be staying. Woohyun will help you unpack, we've transferred all your stuff into your room." Myungsoo led her into her room and left her with Woohyun.

"Hi Woohyun." Heejin greets the man sitting on a queen bed covered with a white bed sheet and duvet. The room was plain white, whitewashed walls, white furniture, white floor, it was as if they were really prepared for her. She inhaled and caught a scent that invoked a thousand memories. 

Sungyeol's perfume. 

"Was this Sungyeol's room?" Heejin asked him.

"Yes, but we refurbished it yesterday for you. How did you know?"

"It smells like him. The room." Heejin said, a tone of sadness seeping into her voice.

"Are you okay with that? Or do you want me to get an air freshener?" Woohyun asked, a tad bit concerned.

"No, no, it's okay." She shook her head.

"It's been a tough day for you, hasn't it?" Woohyun was understanding. Heejin did not respond to his question. He continued anyway. "Sunggyu wants to talk to you. Should I accompany you downstairs?"

"Whatever suits you, I know my way, I think." Heejin had already retreated to the door. Woohyun followed her down anyhow.

Sunggyu smiled at the sight of Heejin. "You're here." He pointed out blatantly.

"Yes, I'm here." She said.

"Great, it's lunch time, so we'll be heading to the dining hall, yes?" Sunggyu attempted to link arms with her but at the slightest contact of skin, she flinched. "Okay, maybe not." Sunggyu chuckled.

Lunch was weird, all attention was on her. It seemed they were so keen to welcome her, but their actions were abrupt and had no natural way to it. It was like being asked where you live by an anonymous person on Ask.fm.

"So, who are Yerin and Jimin to you?" Sungjong asked.

"They're my friends." She answered noncommittally, the way she answers everything she doesn't want to.

"Just friends? You seemed pretty pissed they bailed on you this morning. They're at Wolhyang, Hongdae, actually, preparing for tonight. They're not performing now, they lied." Sunggyu said like it was the most normal thing.

Heejin was insulted, but remembered she had a face to maintain with these guys. "It's alright. That's good that they're reaching for their dreams."

"But you played a critical part in their success." Myungsoo pointed out blatantly. Heejin wanted to cry, that was true. She was hurt.

"I wasn't the one with the dream to be a successful artiste."

"You had a dream to become the mastermind behind it." Woohyun dug deeper.

The four men in front of Heejin fell silent as her eyes widened, a challenging look thrown Woohyun's way. "What do you want from me?" Heejin snapped. She got up with her dishes and left to the kitchen. Woohyun got up shortly after assessing the other guys' expressions, mostly disapproving.

"I told you not to push it. The girl's had enough for a day." Sunggyu scolded Woohyun, who was already on his way to the kitchen.

"Heejin, I'm sorry. It was just, uh, I accidentally said it. I get it if I pushed too far, but forgive me, please." Heejin was silent, putting her washed dishes on the drying rack and then wiping her hand on her pants. Woohyun moved to wash his dishes, placing it in the sink, when she hugged him, hiding her face in his shoulder.

"I'm sorry I snapped. Sungyeol would have scolded me." She muttered through his sleeve. Woohyun was silent at the sudden proximity but did not shake her off him. Instead, he washed his hands, wiped them, and settled it in her hair. "I'm sorry." He whispered to her. "I'm sorry too. I went too far with my questions."

Just then, Myungsoo walked in and the two abruptly untangled themselves from each other, but Heejin's red eyes were evidence that she cried. She left the kitchen immediately, heading into her new room.

"More than apologized, didn't you?" Myungsoo teased. Woohyun blushed but defensively replied, "She did it, I just didn't fight back."

"You wuss."

While 15& rock the stage at Wolhyang that night, Heejin sat in the living room, having needed to participate in the game of Monopoly the guys were playing.

"I'm sleepy." Heejin yawned.

"Already? It's only 9." Sunggyu stopped her from leaving.

"Please? I'm going straight to bed." Heejin rubbed her eyes.

"Fine, we're cleaning up. Tomorrow, we're playing Risk. You can't back out like this again." Sunggyu gave in.

And just like that, the first day Heejin spent with a bunch of strangers, ended.