Texting You, ILY

↻┊ stop & play - seventeen oneshot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

title : texting you, ily
pairing : shin dongjin & yao huang
genre : friendship; implied romance
short summary : it's been six months, and finally dongjin has found the words to say.

It had been six months since Huang had transferred out of Kyung Rim High. The day before she departed from the country, Dongjin had solemnly stood at the back of the party, allowing his friends Lee Chan and Bu Seunggwan to nudge him away continually for elbow space. In the end, his only view for most of that night was the loose end of Huang's beanie atop her head from behind the giant vanilla and chocolate marble cake his senior, Junhui, had made. Dongjin told himself that it was okay.

The first time Dongjin picked up his phone (although with much hesitation) to shoot a text to Huang was the day after she had left. The sun's bright streaks streamed through the open Venetian blinds as he sat in his bed, freshly showered black locks dropping over his eyes. This whole texting deal was leaving him in a rut. He had no idea if she had landed at the airport yet or if she was going to receive his text from mid-air. He felts as if he were just setting himself up for disaster. Sighing, he retrieved his phone once more from the lamp table beside his bed, tapped the first contact on his screen like it was second nature, but briefly paused in the middle of typing his usual greeting.

Shaking his head, he pulled himself away from what he was doing, eyes skimming over the half-composed text message in front of him. His thumbs were hovering right abve the , ready to ask her what she was up to. Then, with much abruptness, he tucked his phone away in his back pocket, quickly pressing the back arrow to the home screen, discarding the part of the message he had written. Maybe he should just wait until later to text her. Once she was out of the sky and no longer suffering from the jetlag. After all, it had only been less than 24 hours since he last saw her. He didn't want to sound like he was already missing her. Stumbling away from his bed and almost tripping on the loose bedspread that had hooked itself around his flailing leg, he tried to erase the fact that his texting buddy was not only gone for six months, but also in an entirely different country. Dongjin figured he should really find himself another hobby soon.

“Hey, Huang! What's up?”

This was the second attempt at Dongjin trying to text Huang, and not-so-surprisingly, it was only a few hours after the first attempt that morning. Bored, he was slumped over the wide couch arm, legs dangling over the side while the rest of his upper body supported his balance. His cheeks squished up against the couch seat, not even caring that other peoples' bums had been there before. He was too busy with staring at and refreshing his message list, waiting for a text from Huang that was most likely not going to come. He felt like at this rate, the only thing that could make his miserable self lighten up again was seeing Huang or his friends. A sigh escaped his lips, palming his cell phone with his free hand while shifting a little in his awkward position to make himself more comfortable. He didn't even have the urge to finish the construction of one emoticon before he let out another annoyed sigh at no one in particular.

Dongjin had jut barely stopped himself from releasing a frustrated whine as he irritatingly thumbed the off button on the side of his phone, deposing it somewhere on the carpeted floor with a thud and forcing himself upright. While his body felt lighter, his soul dragged his shoulders down as he made his way into the kitchen. Maybe a well-deserved treat to ice cream would lift his mood. After all, he had seen girls eat tubs of ice cream to improve themselves during their menstrual cycles. It should work the same way for emotionally conflicted boys. Ignoring the jagged edges of hurt in his heart, he forced the freezer door open, tongue unconsciously his bottom lip when he saw a tub of his mom's emergency triple chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. Of course, she would only eat it whenever she was stressed (which wasn't very often); she would understand if he ate a little bit, right?

“Huahua, hi~ c:”

The third time wasn't very long after he had shoved a few spoonfuls of ice cream into his wanting mouth. In fact, he wasn't even done swallowing his third bite before another spoonful melting over the sides reached his lips. There he was, sitting alone in his bedroom, a blanket draped over his shoulders as he spooned the dark colored delicacy from the quickly-emptying tub. In his free hand was his phone as he struggled to compose a text with only one finger to aid him. It took him a lot of effort not to accidentally press the send button as that would surely send him into panic mode and possibly shut down his phone service.

And like the previous two times, this third message was once again backspaced into nothing but a blinking cursor before Dongjin t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter