Smartypants

↻┊ stop & play - seventeen oneshot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

title : smartypants
pairing : kwon soonyoung & kelly hwang
genre : implied romance; school au; fluff
short summary : it's really hard to know a person who knows things about you, that even you don't know. as for kelly hwang, that person is her 'i know all' best friend, kwon soonyoung.

 

Looking up from her seat on the ice cold bleachers, Kelly Hwang felt her heart constrict, with adoration she mentally added before mentally slapping herself as she watched him enter the field in his crisp uniform. The voices in her head always tugged her in both directions: pro-Soonyoung, and anti-Soonyoung. Now, her eyes following him to the sidelines, she realized something. Her thoughts went blank for a second when he ran his fingers through his hair, pulling his thick fringe up, and holding it at the top of his head. She gulped...hard. What was she saying again? Oh right. It was a major concern for her especially since 'anti-Soonyoung' had been absent without leave for a few months.

A pair of girls, both short and near-sighted, screamed from behind her 'Kwon Soonyoung, fighting!' as the top of their lungs when Kwon Soonyoung was announced in the beginning lineup. Kelly could recognize those voices from anywhere; Alie and Daoming of Class C. Soonyoung's biggest fans. See, back then in elementary school, Kelly would be the the one yelling his name the loudest, but since she had come alone today to watch his game, she figured to just lay low. In the back of her head, anti-Soonyoung whispered oh-so-devilishly, 'It might give him ideas.' Oh look. Now he decided to show up.

Soonyoung was more or less only mere meters away from where she was sitting in the audience, and she could even see his face clear as day underneath the bright white lights. Kelly felt her heart constrict once more when she saw how he grinned gleefully at the rest of his teammates, eyes drawn into thin lines and God she missed him so much. It had been about a month since they had last hung out with each other because he was so busy with practices, games, and on top of that all the school work he had to make up. He was the school's vice-president, and how he managed to keep his cool was known by God alone.

Once again, anti-Soonyoung reared his ugly head and reminded her that Soonyoung had also been hanging out with other people; people that weren't her. If that wasn't enough torture, anti-Soonyoung also had to mention that the girls from before, Alie and Daoming, might have been those friends. Shaking it off, Kelly established it as 'meet-ups' instead of dates because she just couldn't deal with the idea of them being labeled dates. Still, Soonyoung's voice echoed in her head as if he was nonchalantly saying, “I see no difference though. Dates, meet-ups...they're all the same aren't they?”

you, Kwon Soonyoung.

Soonyoung waved in her direction once the game was over, that childish, earnest smile of his plastered onto his face as he grinned for their new victory. Kelly felt the urge to wave to him ,but she wasn't really sure if that was directed at her considering that Alie and Daoming sounded a little too excited. Still, she managed to somewhat wave back a little, but not too high. You know, just in case he wasn't actually waving at her. Pro-Soonyoung though, was totally convinced that he was totally waving at her and it was because 'he knows that you like him.'

It wasn't long before he made his way over to where she was standing, and again, Kelly felt her chest tightening. She was afraid that he wasn't walking over her direction to talk to her, but at the same time, why else would he be walking near her? God damn it all. Her mind was put at little ease when he took a seat next to her on the bottom row of the stands, and she could actually feel her heart skip a beat. For reasons that she knew all to well of, Soonyoung mischievously smirked down at her instead of smiling.

“You didn't tell me you'd be coming,” He sounded too happy for her liking, and she pouted in frustration because he knew exactly why she was there. She just was in that state of stupid denial.

“What?” Kelly lifted her nose in the air, acting high and almighty, “I thought the game was open to the public, yeah? And I figured that since I have free time, why not?”

She was so close to slapping a when he merely rolled her eyes at her, “M'kay, but did you remember to record your 'favorite show ever', Say Yes to the Dress?”

Kelly involuntarily blushed when her favorite show title left his lips. It was true that she had been obsessing over the show for a few months now, and she hadn't even realized it until Soonyoung pointed it out a mere five seconds ago. Her slow mind gears finally caught on to the underlying message when the smirk on Soonyoung's face didn't disappear – he was implying that she had missed the show just so she could watch his game. Stupid, Kelly. How did she not get that earlier? And her heart skip a beat again since Soonyoung of all people would remember even those tiniest, most insignificant details. What kind of a terrible person was she to be mad at him for thinking that he didn't care about her at all. Stupid, Kelly...again.

“I...Well I can just stream it later online or something,” Kelly immediately looked down at the soccer field, “Everything's illegal nowadays anyway,”

“Oh,” Soonyoung's grin just grew wider, “I see,”

Kelly turned her head to look up at him, narrowing her eyes. Reaching up, she nudged his shoulder lightly, which he returned, “What's with that tone, yo? You think you're so smart, tch,”

Before Soonyoung could answer her rhetorical question, one of his teammates, a smaller blonde boy with Lee on his jersey, passed by them and gave a low whistle, “I can't believe you never told me you had a girlfriend, Kwon,”

At the comment, Kelly couldn't help but twitch. Soonyoung on the other hands, just chuckled and said calmly, “Shes not my girlfriend,” Jihoon, the boy's name was, wiggled his eyebrows at Soonyoung implying something that Kelly could recognize thanks to years of men-loathing. At this point though, Soonyoung flung an empty water bottle at Jihoon to stop Kelly from fuming, “But she's off limits, dude!”

Soonyoung and Kelly found themselves eating dinner at a small and local noodle restaurant that was five minutes walking distance from the high school. As they walked, the intentionally bumped into each other closer and closer because hey, that's what best friends so best, right? Annoy each other. Of course, it was all fun and games until Kelly bumped him harder than intended and he walked right into the street lamp. It was all and giggles from there on.

While they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter