septem

Mundane's Definition of Love

After the Ravener attack, Jongin and Sehun ran towards the Institute. They both suffered minor injuries but they were more worried about Baekhyun's well-being than themselves. They're Shadowhunters, not immortal and they die earlier than mundanes, but its their duty to protect the people who cannot see the Shadow World. 

They reached to where Baekhyun and an unscratched Chanyeol were. Jongin's heartbeat returned back to normal when he saw Baekhyun not dead. He noticed before that Baekhyun was clutching a small knife and didn't go inside the gates of the Institute. 

"By the Angel, I told you to go inside!" Jongin raised his voice at Baekhyun but calmed down a bit when the shorter one winced at the tone of his voice. He took a breath and turned to Chanyeol. "And you, are you okay?"

"I don't know, do I looked more scratched up than usual?" he retorted and it was true: he suffered from minor scratches on his knuckles and cheek but other than that, Chanyeol was fine. Jongin became more at ease.

 

His eased face didn't last that long as Sehun went up to Jongin and whispered into his ear. He made a grimace.

 

"Sehun said he senses something dark, something in the Institute." he told the two and watched as Chanyeol tensed up.

 

" so he's awake?" Chanyeol miserably asked.

 

"Let's just go inside before we get yelled at again," Sehun he went up the Institute stairs but paused to look at Baekhyun and began to forcefully smile. "You're lucky mundane, it's been a while since someone like you came in."

 

 

 

╰( ´・ω・)つ──☆✿✿✿✿✿✿

 

 

"Slowly everyone, slowly and quietly," Jongin told them in a hushed tone. They were silently walking through the Institute, footsteps didn't make a sound saved for Baekhyun the mundane as he couldn't have a Soundless rune.

 

Around this time, Jongin's senses were heightened. Above anything else, there was always one person who scared him the most. That was a big statement considering Chanyeol looked scary half the time. So far, there was not a sound to be heard save for the hushed tones of a curious Baekhyun and an annoyed Sehun.

 

"What the hell were you three doing around this hour?" A voice echoed through the area shaking the group.

 

Out of the dark came out this blonde, pale male. Now standing where the moon hits the open windows, he was wearing a wifebeater outlining his lean body and showcasing his pale muscles. The wind was blowing through the windows, making the curtains shroud the male making him look ghastly. He walked past the windows and his true self was revealed. The man was pale, hair tousled like he just got out of bed. As scary has he looked on top, his bottom half looked less intimidating as he was wearing pajama pants with smiley faces on it. His eyes outlined where they were and rested on the shortest of the group.

 

"You brought a mundane home?" Jongin can't tell if the man's tone is annoyed or curious.

 

Chanyeol spoke up. "Hyung, I know what you're thinking but we have a good reason of letting this mundane into the Institute."

 

Sehun chimed in. "Yeah-"

 

Joonmyun cut off Sehun in mid sentence and had a change in face. "Cut the crap both of you, I want to hear it from the sensible one." He turned to Jongin and everyone else followed suit. Sehun's face was weary and Chanyeol harbored a stoic expression.

 

All eyes were on Jongin as he began to explain. "We had a run in with him and Ravener demons while we were done with the Eidolon. He might've gotten injured so we brought him here. That's what Institutes are for right? A safe house for us and a place for mundane and Downworlders in need of help."

 

Joonmyun didn't look like he bought what Jongin said at all so he walked up to Baekhyun. He stared intently at him, observing everything that was the mundane. He took Baekhyun's hands and started to observe it.

 

"Who were your parents mundane?" Joonmyun asked while examining his hands.

 

"I- I- I don't know my parents, sir," the boy began to stutter. "I have an older brother and that's it."

 

"Who is your brother?"

 

"Baekbom, Baekbom Byun."

 

Something flashed between Joonmyun's eyes but Jongin couldn't catch what that was. Joonmyun went up to Jongin and whispered into his ears.

 

"Have him stay here until I say he can leave," he whispered and descended into his room. From the light coming in through the windows, it made the Institute eerie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*A/N*
wow this chapter lol. see if you can spot hints for the future plot guise. and you finally met the warden! yay!! though its kinda expected that i made him the warden since suho, guardian, leader, yeah. you'll meet the others later on in future chapters.