Arielle the man-eater

First Love

I walk up the cobblestone pathway, into the university’s fields. The main building towers over me, throwing a dark shadow over half of the field. Its grey paint makes it feel like some kind of prison. I don’t get how this place has a prison feel to it, yet I love it here. I have great friends, I enjoy my studies… yet I don’t know how it happened but a month after university started, everyone started dating, and here I am just going solo. I look down at my watch, crap I’m going to be late. I rush through the building, taking the stairs, since the elevators took too long to reach my floor. I reach my classroom, there’s one seat left. I’m on my way to sit, when I notice none other than Luhan going for the same chair. We both grab hold of the seat at the same time.

“Sorry, but this is mine” I hiss

He shakes his head, throwing me a dirty look.

“You owe me for last night” He whispers, his face smug.

“I didn’t ask for your help”

“You didn’t refuse it either”

We glare at each other for an eternity, not one of us wanting to give in.

“Take your seats please” The lecturer grumbles from in front of the class.

“Move” I grunt

Luhan shakes his head once again.

“There’s no way, I’m giving in to you”

“How about you share the chair then” The lecturer hisses, narrowing his eyes at us.

I feel my face heat up, and I’m just about to walk out of the room, when Luhan grabs my hand and pulls me down onto his lap.

“Why does it have to be you of all people” He complains, angrily slapping my hair out of his face.

“It’s not fun for me either” I point out.

 

Of all the people I had to sit on, it just had to be this clown. I’ve never been so uncomfortable before, I didn’t know how to sit, or what to do. I felt Luhan’s eyes on my back, which made me feel so nervous. Why was I nervous? Shouldn’t I be annoyed? The lecture ends 10 minutes early, and gratefully I jump off of Luhan’s lap.

“You should consider eating more salad”

I spin around to face him, my face flushed with anger.

“And you should consider getting testosterone injections” I retort.

I have never met anyone who I hate more. I cannot even describe how he makes me feel. We glare at each other, before snapping away and walking our separate ways. Crap, I’ll probably see him at soccer practice again. Why does he have to be everywhere?

 

I walk onto the field, tossing my bag to the side. Today I’m going to make the team. There’s no other choice, I’ve always wanted to play soccer for as long as I can remember. I hear Luhan’s loud booming voice at the benches. Of course, he just has to be here. He’s the captain of the boys soccer team, and for some reason, the coaches ask his opinion about the players.

“Oh, Arielle, you should just take a seat, I don’t think you’re cut out for the team” He calls over to me.

I turn to him, and show him my middle finger.

“For once shut that mouth of yours” I shout back.

I gather around the coach with the other girls, this is it. I’m not going to let Luhan throw me off of my game. I can do this.

“Ready?” The coach grunts.

“READY~” We all shout, and take our positions.

We have to run through this obstacle course and then make a goal. Then the coach will judge us on our physical abilities, but that doesn’t mean we’ll be in the team. Only a selected few will be chosen to play against the boy’s team, and the best players there, will then make the girls team. If you asked me it’s rather unfair, I mean we have no experience and then they expect us to go against some really good soccer players.

 

The coach blows his whistle and I start running. I run through the tires on the ground, jump over the logs strewn across the ground. I retrieve my ball and swerve through the cones, making sure my ball doesn’t knock anything over. I push past the boy players who try to block me, and I’m about to kick the ball in when something hits me against the side of my head, and I’m tossed to the ground. My face feels like it’s on fire, my ears are ringing, and I think I might have a broken jaw.

“Holy crap, are you okay?” Luhan asks, his face filling my vision.

“Like you care” I grumble, sitting up.

I hold my jaw, I really need to see a doctor, but after the try outs, I can’t walk away now. I push down on Luhan’s shoulder and get to my feet.

“H-Hey, you shouldn’t just get up, I have to check your injuries!” He protests

“I’m fine” I whimper, my words barely making it out of my jaw.

I start walking forward, but I feel light headed, I might actually have a concussion.  I start to edge side ways, and almost fall flat.

“Wow, let’s get you to the benches” Luhan rushes, picking me up.

Oh no this is just embarrassing. Now I’m definitely not going to get on the team.

Luhan sets me down, and grabs an ice pack, and presses it lightly against my head.

“How do you feel?”

“I’m fine”

“How many fingers am I holding?”

I try to focus on his hand, but his hand looks so blurry, and I think he might be holding tw… no three.. or is it four?

“Uhh…” I squint at his hand.

“Yeah, you’re not fine”

“But, I have to play!” I protest, trying to get back up.

“You can’t”

Before I can protest any further, Luhan picks me up and takes me to the on campus clinic.

 

“You have a slight concussion, so I’m going to keep you here for a while, just to make sure you’re okay” The doctor informs me, furiously writing onto his notepad.

“But the try-outs” I protest weakly.

“I’ll talk to the coach, okay?” Luhan whispers.

“Sure, after that you can list the 10 reasons why you like me” I scoff

He knows how important the try-outs are to me, and now he makes a joke, trying to give me some hope, how heartless can you get?

“Ugh, do you always have to be so hard to work with?” He grumbles, getting up.

“I have to go, let me know if you need anything” He says to the doctor, and disappears out of the room.

 

Great. Now I’m alone, and I’m not allowed to leave, since I’m still under observation. Just perfect.

“How long have you two been dating?” The doctor asks, while checking my pupils.

“Dating? Pff, we hate each other, why would we date?” I laugh, waving him off.

“Do people usually help someone they hate?”

“He had to, not because he wanted to”

Then again, that’s always been his excuse, even before last night, there were times when he’d help me and claim that he had to… is he purposely helping me out?

“Mhmm” The doctor hums, clearly not believing me.

Maybe the doctor is right?

 

I walk out of the campus area, the doctor had finally released me, but on the condition that I take it easy and avoid getting hit on the head. Like I would purposely let someone hit me on the head. Out of the side of my eye I notice a figure approaching me. I turn my face and realize that it’s Megan.

“I heard you ditched Mir”

I shake my head. Obviously she didn’t get the full story, since I had to walk home after he had abandoned me.

“Check your sources” I scoff

“Why do you have to be so mean? The only reason why you’re single isn’t because you get bored, but because you scare off all the nice guys” She scolds, her hands placed on her hips.

“So what it was just one date” I protest.

She was being so unreasonable, I mean so I didn’t fall in love on this date, it wasn’t like I even wanted to go on it anyway.

“Do you think anyone would want to date you after you stood up the nicest guy on campus?”

“I don’t care what people think”

“Guess what, no-one cares about you either” She growls, tossing a piece of paper at me.

I open it up, and my eyes widen at the words on it. ’Who will satisfy this man-eater’s appetite?’  underneath it was a photo of me.

“This will be the newest addition to tomorrow’s ‘Campus Gossip’

The Campus Gossip is a magazine run by our journalism club, they wrote stories about all the gossip on campus, the stories didn’t even necessarily need to be true, as long as the readers enjoyed it no one cared.

“Who wrote this?”

“I don’t know, but honestly you had it coming”

I stare after her as she waltzes away, how could she even say that? I thought we were friends, why did she suddenly start treating me like this? Alright, I might not always have been as nice as I could have to her, but still this is no way to act.

 

Beyond annoyed I toss the paper at the garbage can.

“What’s this?” Luhan asks as he catches it mid-air.

Where did he even come from? I didn’t even notice him… did he hear what Megan had said to me? He opens the paper and chuckles softly.

“Yeah, yeah laugh it up” I grumble, and start to walk again.

“You know I think Mir might have written this article”

I turn around and face Luhan.

“You probably think I deserve this don’t you?”

He crumples up the paper, and tosses it into the trash can.

“Hmm… I think you’d first have to get a man, before they can call you a man-eater” He smiles at me smugly.

He does actually have a point… I mean, I haven’t even dated anyone and yet I’m called a man-eater? That’s just complete bull. Maybe I should go have some words with Mir after all, I can’t have him blackening my good name, just because he couldn’t get me. I turn on my heel, and make my way back onto the campus.

“Uhh… where are you going?” Luhan calls from behind me.

“Doesn’t matter” I grumble, my eyes fixed on the building in front of me.

What am I going to say to this guy? Should I kick the door in, and shout some threats? Should I sit him down and explain my side? Crap I have no idea what I’m going to do, but if I turn around it would be really embarrassing, and Luhan would totally tease me for being such a coward.

 

Luhan jogs to my side.

“Instead of murdering Mir, you could always just prove him wrong”

What is with this guy? Why the hell does he have to be nice to me now?

“Luhan, just piss off already, I don’t need nor want your sympathy, okay?” I snap at him

His mouth opens slightly and his eyes widen with shock. I shouldn’t have snapped at him, but I’m not some charity case, and I especially don’t want help from him.

“I was just…” Luhan whispers softly

I can’t make out the rest of his sentence and I don’t care what he was saying either.

 

I walk up the stairs and reach the journalism club’s room. This is it. I’m going to face Mir right now. I place my hand on the doorknob.

“Stop” Luhan growls, placing his hand on mine.

“Would you st-“

He leans forward, his lips nearing mine. My eyes widen and I feel my face heating up. What the hell is happening? I shove Luhan away from me and glare at him.

“WHAT THE FLYING DUCK ARE YOU DOING?!” I screech, my face flushed with fury.

“I- uhm I-“ He steps backward.

Obviously he did not consider how dangerous kissing me would be.

“Like I would ever let you… YOU of all people kiss me?!” I growl, my temple throbbing with anger.

Okay, maybe it wasn’t entirely due to anger, I mean look at Luhan, that boy can drop it like it’s hot. He should come with a warning sign, maybe even serviettes, ‘cause dayumn I would totally drool over that fine piece of china. UNFORTUNATELY, he is my nemesis, so I cannot tap it, or drool over it, or fantasize over him playing soccer in the rain and mud and ripping of that white shirt that clings so perfectly to his beautifully chiselled abs and pecks… Holy tennis biscuits, why must he be so hot? ;-;

 

“I wasn’t going to kiss you… I have no intention of ever kissing you” Luhan hisses (snapping me back to reality, even though I was definitely not done with thinking about him being all wet and muddy) “AND I was going to stare you down, you idiot”

Well , now I feel like a complete idiot. I should really look into these feelings I just had about him, and maybe not too much about that fantasy part, because that might be really dangerous. Maybe I am slightly (okay a load) attracted to him, but I guess that’s just because I hate him? I mean I just mixed up some of the passionate hate I felt with some passionate hot feelings… right?

“Why the hell are you staring at me like that?” Luhan grumbles, his face flushed and his mouth pulled into a pout.

“N-nothing” I mumble, my fingers fiddling with my jacket’s zipper.

We stand in awkward silence for quite some time, not moving one inch. This is so awkward. I just want to go die somewhere in a pit of sorrow, but I can’t be the first one to leave, I mean then it would mean that I feel awkward. He is the one that has to give up first. I know it’s silly to even be competitive at a time like this, but I won’t give up my hatred for him. Who knows what would happen if my hatred for him dissolves? Pssh, who am I kidding, I hate this .

“Stop being nice to me. I hate you. Stay away from me” I hiss at Luhan.

Yep. That’s everything I needed to say to him, this way I have shown him that I do not give a flying duck about him and his beautif- I mean- atrocity of a face. I sharply turn away from him, and waltz away. Yes, I have won this little confrontation.