Family barbecue

First Love

Luhan and I sit across from each other in the living room, listening to my parents having another argument. My mom was completely pissed that my dad is going to the barbecue, because she did not want me to have anything to do with those people. I’ve can’t really remember much about my dad’s side of the family, since I was so little when I last saw them. All I really know about them is what my mom told me and she didn’t really make them look like nice people.

 

Luhan extends his hand toward me, “Let’s go for a walk”

He must’ve noticed how upset my parents’ arguing was making me. Even after all these years, I still can’t take it when they argue, it just breaks my heart. I remember how I used to wish they were able to make up and how they would remarry and we’d be this great big happy family. Looking at them now, I know that it’s completely impossible, my dad is married to his job and well he does try to be there for me, while my mom goes on thousands of dates and drinks her days away. I can’t see either of them ever marrying someone again.

“Come on” Luhan whispers as he pulls me off of the couch.

“I’m sorry… about them”

Luhan shakes his head and gives my hand a tight squeeze.

“Nothing we can do about it… besides now I get to have you all to myself” He winks at me.

A small smile spreads across my lips, he really does know how to make me feel better, even if his advances are completely inappropriate at this time.

“There’s something I have to tell you actually” Luhan starts as we sit down on the grass outside of my house.

I rest my head against his shoulder, “What is it?”

“Promise me you won’t get mad” He whispers his voice filled with concern.

“You know I get mad quickly… but I’ll try to” I reply.

“The thing is… uhm… you know Megan right? Well s-she…” Luhan stutters, struggling to put his thoughts into words.

This sounds really serious… did he cheat on me with Megan? No he wouldn’t… would he? I mean Megan is really beautiful and she can get any guy she wants, so what’s to stop her from getting Luhan?

“Hey kids, let’s go!” My dad calls from the front door.

Luhan quickly jumps to his feet and helps me up.

“We’ll talk later, okay?”

I nod my head, but I can’t seem to shake it from my mind. What was he going to say about Megan… please don’t tell me he cheated on me… I can’t… I can’t…

“I… can’t… b-breathe” I gasp, tugging at Luhan’s arm.

Of course this just has to give me a panic attack. How can’t I be panicked. I love this guy. I love him more than anything. Why would he cheat on me? Why with Megan? Is he only dating me to make her jealous? That would explain why she always glares at me like that. My chest tightens and my breathing becomes even more hitched.

“Hey! Hey, what’s wrong?” Luhan asks, his hand taking mine and holding it firmly.

I shake my head, tears falling from my eyes. Why does my heart hurt this much?
“Arielle, look at me, only focus on me” Luhan orders, his free hand taking hold of mine.

 

My dad notices this little scene and runs toward us.

“What’s going on?!”  My dad screeches from a distance.

Luhan shakes his head, “I d-don’t know, I think she’s having a panic attack!”

My dad grabs hold of me. I used to get a lot of panic attacks when I was younger, especially around the time my parents were going through their divorce. Fortunately my dad had found a way to calm me down whenever I had one of them.

 

He pulls me into his chest and starts humming softly, brushing my hair.

“Everything’s fine… everything’s okay” He repeats over and over.

I feel the weight on my chest leaving, my breathing becoming regular. Luhan watches us his face still filled with concern.

“Better?” My dad asks, as he looks me in the eyes.

I nod my head, unable to trust my voice.

“If you don’t feel up to it, you shouldn’t go to the barbecue” He says, smiling warmly at me.

I shake my head. He must think that I’m worried about meeting my family and I can’t tell him what the real reason is… he might just kill Luhan.

“Arielle…?” Luhan whispers, but he can’t seem to find the right words.

I lock my gaze with his and in my breath.

“Do you love Megan?” I blurt out.

I have to know, I have to… My chest starts to tighten again. Maybe I should’ve waited a while before I start panicking again…

“What? No! Of course not! You know I love you” He objects.

He loves me? Did he just… Xi Lu Han actually loves me?

“I love you, Arielle” He smiles at me.

It looks like Luhan had finally realized how much I really meant to him.

“I love you too” I confess, hugging him.

“We’ll talk about Megan later though, okay?” He murmurs, kissing me on the forehead.

 

Well at least I know now… so I’ll probably not get another panic attack today.

 

We walk into my grandparent’s house. My grandmother bolting toward me and hugging me tightly, kissing every inch of my face.

“Look at how pretty you’ve gotten! Look at how beautiful she is!” She exclaims, showcasing me to the rest of the family.

“And this is?” She asks, hugging Luhan.

“M-my boyfriend, Luhan” I introduce.

“Well aren’t you handsome!” She gushes, giving me a erted smile.

“You have excellent taste my dear” She whispers to me, nudging me with her elbow.

Now I know where I got my erted side from. I think I’ll like this side of the family.

 

Flocks of family surround us and hugs us, gushing over how big and how pretty I am (some of the females congratulating me on the fine piece of China I had procured). I’m not even kidding, those were my aunt’s exact words, apparently my dad’s side of the family has the exact same personality as me. Which is a good thing, because that means that I don’t need to go see a therapist, since they’re just as screwed up as I am, and they seem to be fine about it.

 

“Now tell me how you two met!” My grandmother smiles, clapping her hands together in excitement.

I feel my face heat up and smile at Luhan.

“Well… to be honest, when we first met, we hated each other… she had spilled hot coffee on me, I had pushed her into a cactus… we couldn’t even be in the same room as each other” Luhan chuckles at the memory.

“I thought that he was just some egotistical jock and he thought that I was just some mean plastic girl” I add.

“And then your hatred turned into passion?” My aunt winks at me.

What. Isn’t that a slightly inappropriate comment? I LOVE THESE PEOPLE.

“Well yeah, I couldn’t help but start to notice how pretty she was and then everything that annoyed me about her started to become cute… before I knew it I was madly in love with her” Luhan smiles, intertwining his fingers with mine.

“Awww” My aunts coo, their eyes sparkling at the innocent love before them.

Heh, it’s the first time Luhan ever said why he started to become so nice to me.

 

Luhan’s phone starts to ring and he excuses himself from the table. I listen to my aunts gossip and chatter for about ten minutes when I decide to go check on Luhan. I’m about to enter the room where he is, but I stop myself.

“I can’t… Megan… please listen to me” He pleads.

Megan? Why is she calling him? What can’t he do?

“Megan, she’ll hate me forever”

Why will I hate him?

“You can’t tell her… give me the chance to tell her”

Tell me what? I press my hand against my chest, please, please, don’t let it be anything bad.

“This isn’t just a game to me anymore”

A game? Was he just playing me?

 

I hear Luhan end the conversation, he walks out of the room and stops when he sees me.

“Arielle… that… it isn’t-“

“Tell me now” I demand, barely able to hold my tears in.

“Promise me you won’t hate me” He begs

“What did you do?” I ignore his begging.

What did he mean with it not being a game? Why is he talking to Megan?

“Please can we talk about this later?” He pleads.

I nod my head, I don’t want to cause a scene in front of my family.