Elle et moi

Saranghae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket in silence, still trying to absorb what had happened. It had been hours since she knocked on the door, and even though she had yelled and said she would not move from there, at first I didn't believe her.

 

I looked out the window a couple of times a few hours before and I admit that I was surprised to see her still sitting there. A constant sound roused me from my thoughts, it had begun to rain, it meant she probably would have left. Or maybe not?

 

I flicked my tongue to myself. Dara would never have stayed in the middle of the night in the rain, she was not that kind of person... Every time the situation was a little difficult she didn't hesitate to run away, and what had happened between us was the perfect proof of it. Yet my conscience kept bothering me. What if she was still there? I sighed. It wouldn't hurt to take a look.

 

I got up and went to the window. I squinted trying to see through the heavy rain. On the bench I could see a dark lump. I tried to focus my eyes even more. "..." I ran out of the room to the entrance and I put on my shoes before leaving. Why was she still there? "! , Dara, !" I yelled and grabbed her to help her getting up "What the hell were you thinking by staying in the rain?" She opened her eyes and looked at me before she smiled weakly.

 

"I like rain" She whispered. I froze.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

I checked the watch for the umpteenth time. Finally it was time to leave. I had found a new job a few weeks ago, but it was harder than I thought. What it was offered as a kitchen assistant was actually a kitchen slave, and even after working all day I had to clean the kitchen for the next day. Conclusion: I worked more than I legally should in exchange for a ty salary.

 

I took off my stupid uniform that they made me dress and put it in a bag. Who was the one who had the bright idea of making it white? I was working in a kitchen full of along with some cooks who were not known by their ability in the kitchen. I had not yet passed a day without them splashing or pulling something over me. Luckily they had given me two, so I could wear one while washing the other.

 

I smelled the clothes I worn under the uniform and made a grimace of disgust. I could recognize in it most of the dishes that were cooked throughout the day. I hated this place...

 

"I'm done" I told a fat man who was sitting in one of the restaurant tables. That fat man was my boss, and he never moved a finger to help me even though he stayed in the place from early to late evening. The reason is simple: he didn't trust me enough to give me the keys and let me in charge of closing and opening every day. He lifted his head from the newspaper he was reading and looked at me. Almost a second later he lowered it again without saying anything else. It was his way of telling me I could go.

 

I sighed and went to the door. If the day was already not bad enough, now it was raining as if it had not rained in months, and I had no umbrella... I went out and put the bag where I had the uniform over my head to avoid getting wet... Actually it wouldn't be very helpfull.

 

Surprisingly the rain stopped falling on me. Someone at my side was holding an umbrella. I turned and saw it, my favorite smile "You left your umbrella in my house... You idiot" I smiled back. My ty day had improved in seconds. She had come for me even though I told her not to do it, it was night and I didn't like her walking alone in the street at this time, and much less by where I worked... It was not the safest place in Seoul. But I couldn't scold her, I couldn't lie to myself and deny that I was glad to see her. I hugged her and gave her a big kiss on the cheek "Ugh... You reek of food" I laughed at her reaction. If I, who had spent all day in the kitchen, could feel the strong smell of my clothes, she probably smelled it even more.

 

"You're soaked" I replied as I realized that while her head remained dry thanks to the umbrella, her clothes and especially her shoes were soaked. The umbrella was not enough for the amount of water that was falling.

 

"Don't worry... I like rain"

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

"You idiot" I muttered helping her to get up. She leaned over me, but still her movements were awkward, she probably had the whole body numb.

 

I had left home in a hurry and hadn't put on anything to cover myself from the weather. This, along with the rain that had soaked my clothes, was beginning to affect the mobility of my body as well, and I hardly had a minute into the street. "Raise your leg" I ordered when we reached the stairs. With a little work she could climb all the steps and we arrived at the entrance of my house. I was soaked, but she looked like she had fallen into a pool fully clothed. I had no choice... I swallowed hard and began to undress her. Cloth after cloth, all of them piled on the floor, and it was getting harder for me to keep my sight away from her... I bit my lip as I took off her pants and tried to keep my eyes looking down. When I rubbed her skin with my hands it was like an ice cube. I had to make her get warm quickly or it would be too late.

 

I tried to put aside my thoughts and opened the cabinet that was at the entrance. There I kept a couple of blankets, so I chosed the thickest one and put it over her, wrapping her the best I could. Her body wouldn't stop shaking and she could barely stand. I led her into the living room and, after checking that she could stand by herself, I approached the fireplace and lit it. Nothing better than a good fire to get warm. I extended a carpet just before the fire "Come here" I ordered guiding her. While she was standing she was too wobbly I was afraid she would fall "Sit here" She obeyed me and sat down, or rather, she dropped herself on the carpet. She snuggled in the blanket and looked at the fire with her eyes almost closed. You could tell she was struggling to stay awake. "What the were you thinking Dara?" I said in a annoyed tone. She had risked her life! She didn't even flinch. Maybe she was too sleepy, or maybe she was just ignoring me... I clicked my tongue at that possibility "It is better if you remove your underwear, it's very wet" I snapped. I wasn't able to remove it for obvious reasons, but she couldn't keep with it on. It was soaked and cold.

 

I went to the kitchen to prepare a couple of hot chocolates. I was also feeling cold and I knew that the best to get warm was doing it from the inside. While I was preparing them my mind kept spinning. What was she doing here? Why had she come? Was it not enough to ruin my stay in Korea that she had now come to do the same in France? Without realizing it ,I had pressed my jaw so hard that it began to hurt. I sighed deeply, trying to relax. One, two, three times... As soon as she recovers a bit we are going to have a little talk.

 

I returned to the living room and I saw her with her head down. Her breathing was soft “Dara...” I said in a low voice, checking if she was asleep. “Dara!”I called louder. She opened her eyes and looked at me in confusion. “Don't sleep,” I said before handing her a cup, which she grabbed. She looked around, as if trying to figure out where she was. I sat beside her; she looked a little better, she had stopped shaking. I couldn't wait to find out her reason for coming any longer.  “What are you doing here?” I asked looking at the fire while sipping my hot chocolate. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw how she drank hers too but without showing any signs of answering. That irked me, very much. I looked at her. "What the are you doing here Dara? Why are you here?!" I blurted, raising my voice.

 

“You should change your clothes too, you're drenched.” She replied in a low voice, although 'reply' isn't the most appropriate word to define it... She had completely ignored my question!

 

“Shut up!” I yelled and I could see how she got startled. “Answer to what I'm asking you! Why have you come? To keep on ruining my life? Do you enjoy it?!” I put my chocolate on the floor and stared at her furrowing. She had come all the way here with no intention to tell me why? Is this a prank? I don't like people playing with me... I don't like it at all... I clenched my teeth, again. I would do it every time I was furious despite my dentist telling me it was very bad for my teeth.

 

“I just wanted to know why... But now I know the answer.”

 

I frowned, now out of confusion, “why what?”

 

“Why you left that time at the party after we...” We became silent. I was trying to understand the nonsense she just said.

 

“Did you travel half way across the world just to tell me that?” I said after a few seconds. She still wouldn't look at me. Always the same, always hiding, always avoiding saying what she really felt or thought.“I'm willing to bet you lied to your husband to come here. Am I wrong?” I said with the sole purpose of annoying her, and her tongue clicking and her averted gaze told me I hit the spot... I chuckled. “It was obvious... as coward as usual.” She finally looked at me.

 

“What do you want me to do? Huh? What do you want me to tell him?! “Look honey, I'm going to Paris for a few days to talk to my lesbian friend, and it so happens that I cheated on you with her for quite a while before getting married.” Is that what you want me to say??!” My smile faded in a moment and I clenched my te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter