Progress and bets

Breakfast encounters

Youngjae rushed to the library the next morning hoping to get some more study time in. He had been studying since he had gotten home the day before.

He wanted to say that he’d had a decent amount of studying done, but he really couldn’t without lying. He couldn’t help but to think of the look on Daehyun’s face the day before.

It was an expression of alarm, confusion, and worse pain. Youngjae hadn’t thought to explain to him that he had to study for an important test and had to get started immediately. The thought that he really hadn’t explained anything to the other made him kick himself several times since, making it difficult for him to concentrate on notes or anything.

Junhong was the one who had called to ask where he had run off to so quickly, leaving them all behind. It hadn’t really surprised him that it was Junhong who had decided to ask; it wasn’t something Jong up would impatiently ask. And he really didn’t want to think about what Yongguk and Himchan might have been up to after the state they were in when they all exited the room.

What had surprised him though, was how much concern the younger had for how Daehyun was. It made him think that maybe it was worse than what he had originally thought. He really wanted to go look for the other just to apologize, but he had a lot of studying that he had to get done (especially after doing practically nothing the day before), which was why he had made the library his top priority and asked Junhong to apologize for him.

In an attempt to stay focused, he had left his phone off and had his earphones on despite the no electronics sign outside. It was actually proving useful, he had already made more progress in about half an hour than he had the day before.

Several minutes later hands rested gently on his shoulders and began to gently give him a massage on his sore back, he really needed to work on not slouching (Himchan had already scolded him several times for it). Youngjae couldn’t deny that it felt good and he rolled his neck back, eyes closed and a small smile on his lips from how good it felt. A small chuckle sounded from behind him and Youngjae opened his eyes before sitting up straighter shocked.

“Well I can see that you’re studying hard. How’s it going Youngjae?”

Youngjae gave no word in response; his mind was still processing Daehyun smiling at him, hands still resting on his shoulders. He seemed back to his normal self, a complete opposite from when Youngjae left him the day before. He seemed happy, eye smile and all, with his hair just a little messier than normal. The way he was looking at him made Youngjae sure that if he had even tried answering the other, his words wouldn’t really have been very understandable due to his racing heart.

Daehyun gave Youngjae’s still open mouth a slight glance before sitting down across from him and gently closing the younger’s mouth. The action made Youngjae swallow, hoping to get rid of the lump in his throat.

“Youngjae have you eaten yet?”

Daehyun asked while staring at the papers spread around the table as if they were going to give him the answer. From the corner of his eye, he was able to catch the other shake his head confused. But the answer was just what he was hoping for and Daehyun smiled even brighter.

“Good, then I think it’s time for a break. Come on Youngjae.”

He barely had time to process everything before Daehyun was already trying to pull him away from the table. He quickly closed his notes and took his notebook, shoving it into his backpack and scrambling after Daehyun who had quickly taken the opportunity to grab onto his hand.

“Daehyun what? I was studying and I don’t need a break.”

“You said you hadn’t eaten and I bought you food already.”

A slight blush rose on Youngjae’s cheek from the other’s words as well as the hand in his own, gently pulling him out of the library doors and to a bench nearby. Daehyun sat and pulled him down as well before reaching into his bag and handing a surprised Youngjae a fruit bowl, yogurt cup, and an orange juice. Youngjae wordlessly accepted it while Daehyun rummaged for a few seconds in his backpack before finally pulling a bag of cookies out and resting it on his lap. He took the fruit from the very still Youngjae, opening it and with a fork, handing a small piece to him.

It took a few seconds for Youngjae to finally get a grasp on what was going on. He shook his head, still a bit confused; before he could even speak Daehyun shoved the fruit into his open mouth, content that there was finally a reaction.

“Daehyun what is all of this?”

Daehyun merely hummed while opening the bottle of orange juice and passing it to Youngjae who warily accepted it, slightly annoyed since he could have opened it himself.

“Junhong told me you were studying for an important test. I figured you probably hadn’t eaten yet, so I decided to bring you some food.”

“Daehyun this is more than some, this is practically a meal. And you really didn’t have to, I was just planning on grabbing a quick snack in a little bit.”

Youngjae was in shock, he never would have expected Daehyun to go and buy him food after how he had left him without a word yesterday.

“Well I can always help you with the food, and isn’t this better study food than a ‘quick snack’. You should eat right, isn’t all of this healthy food? I even asked Himchan for help on picking it; well I tried he was mostly busy with Yongguk.”

Youngjae shuddered and hoped that it was an appropriate busy and not the sort that was better behind closed doors. He then processed the rest of what Daehyun had said and blushed at the other’s efforts to help. He accepted the next piece of fruit that Daehyun held out for him before taking the fork and feeding the other a grape. He looked down after catching a smile on the other’s lips at the action.

“What’s with the cookies then? I doubt those are all that healthy.”

He didn’t really care about the cookies, he just needed something to distract from him from Daehyun. The others eyes widened and he quickly grabbed the bag excitedly.

“Oh I picked them out! Himchan said no but I got them anyways. I thought that maybe you’d need something sweet, you know sugar rushes and all, might be helpful is all…”

Youngjae poked a blushing Daehyun with the end of the spoon before scooping some yogurt on and putting it inside of the other’s mouth.

“I guess. But you really are going to have to help me with this food. And sorry that I didn’t get the chance to tell you yesterday why I rushed out, I just really had to get started.”

Daehyun merely waved his apology off after having gladly accepted the yogurt.

“Youngjae its fine. I get it really. And I really don’t mind helping you with the food at all. Just remember that you have to eat and take breaks so that you can study better.”

The younger blushed but smiled happily knowing that the other understood and seemed to accept his apology. He briefly wondered if the other was this caring for other people, before deciding that he didn’t care much because he had him for now.

They continued eating, bickering and also feeding each other; so lost in their own world that they hadn’t noticed they were being watched.

~

“Noonas’?”

The two girls quickly jumped back from the corner they were leaning around, shocked.

“What are you two doing? Why are you hiding? Is everything ok?”

The older girl cleared preparing to answer the tall boy while the younger went back to watching around the corner.

“Well Junhong you see, we were just-“

“Oh my goodness, they’re feeding each other again. Why are they so cute together?”

Jieun squealed interrupting Hyosung who quickly pouted and rushed back to the corner attempting to catch the two boys being adorably oblivious. Neither girl noticed the tall boy looking with them curious about what they were watching.

“Why are you two watching Youngjae and Daehyun hyung?”

The two girls squealed and pulled the tall, pink haired boy back, hoping that the other two hadn’t heard him. After not hearing any sudden noise or approaching footsteps, they quickly relaxed and turned back to the boy glaring slightly.

“Junhong don’t sneak up on people like that, you almost gave us heart attacks. You wouldn’t want to do that now would you?”

He quickly shook his head. “But noona, why are you watching them? Isn’t it wrong to be watching them like this?”

Hyosung pouted at the younger’s point but Jieun took the opportunity to answer.

“Junhong we’re not doing anything bad. It’s just they were so cute yesterday during the surprise and we were curious is all. Are they together yet by any chance?”

The last time the girls had checked, both were single but they could tell that wouldn’t last. They hadn’t missed the looks the two had been exchanging the past week and were surprised by their closeness the day before, they really hadn’t expected them to be moving so quickly.

Both girls looked to the youngest eyes hopeful but he merely rubbed his neck frowning slightly.

“No, not yet. Himchan and Yongguk hyung are betting on when they’ll just admit how they feel. Even Jong up’s betting. Himchan thinks it’ll be a few weeks, Yongguk a few months, and Jong up a few more months.”

The girls’ faces dropped at that answer. They glanced at each other, one eyebrow raised, before taking a step back and looking around the corner again. Junhong glanced too and they watched as Youngjae laughed at some yogurt he must have gotten on Daehyun’s face. The other retaliated by throwing a grape at the younger and succeeding in making him laugh more.

Junhong smiled at how happy his hyung was being at a time when he would usually be stressed and snapping at everybody. The girls however were still able to catch the large smile on Daehyun’s face. They’d been watching when girls were surrounding him, and they knew for a fact that Daehyun never smiled like that around them.

All three pulled away, and the two girls exchanged another glance leaving Junhong confused.

“What?”

Jieun shrugged and went back to watching Youngjae and Daehyun. Hyosung cleared and turned to Junhong.

“I think you guys should do you’re math again. Himchan might be closest, but I give them by the end of the week.”

Jieun nodded from her spot and Junhong glanced between the two of them, still not understanding.

“Okay, I think I’ll tell Himchan you guys are betting too.”

“That’s fine. Oh but also let us know when they do date so we can tell you guys we told you so.”

“Losers buy winners food.” Jieun added without glancing back at them.

“That too.”

Junhong looked at the two, Hyosung having joined Jieun at the corner.

“Okay then… Well I’ll go. Have fun watching them.”

The two girls merely cooed, having watched something happen that Junhong didn’t care to know about. He shook his head at how silly everybody’s been acting lately and walked away to tell Himchan about the changes to the bet.

 

~A/N~

I'm sorry that this is kind of late and if it itsn't what you guys were expecting. I've been a little busy and had some writers block after having updated so much last week (I think?)  I have a very short attention span and am constantly forgetting small things I have planned. I think there will only be about two more chapters?

But again I want to thank everybody for reading this and being patient with my irregular updating and whatnot. I really do hope that I'm not disappointing any of you. I'd say more but it's 1 am and I need sleep so I'll just leave it at that and thank you all again.