Breakfast with Himchan

Breakfast encounters

Youngjae walked into the cafeteria earlier than usual in an attempt to avoid two people-- Himchan and Daehyun. After a quick glance around and a sigh of relief for not seeing either there, he walked calmly to go order his breakfast. He couldn’t help but to be proud of himself for thinking about coming to school earlier than usual, it gave him the opportunity to get there before the two people he has been doing his best to avoid since the morning before. It also meant that he could actually start his day with a decent breakfast.

As soon as he walked into the food area he felt more than a little annoyed at the line to order food. For a second he debated just getting cereal or fruit before dismissing the idea, he had gotten up from his cozy bed and dragged his lazy self to school far too early to settle. It was for this reason that Youngjae found himself waiting in a line at a time that he would barely be getting out of bed.

The girls in front of him were gossiping to each other but he heard them talking about Himchan and how “hot” he was. Before they could even continue their sentence Youngjae snorted earning him a disgusted look from the three girls.

“Uhm sorry I was just remembering something.”

At his apology the girls seemed content with a final glare before looking away and continuing their discussion. Sometimes Youngjae did forget how popular Himchan was with the girls at the school. It wasn’t his fault though he just didn’t see why so many people found him attractive he was just so full of himself, and spoiled very, very spoiled. He had so many admirers and also several gifts from girls, even some that didn’t attend their school. This was one reason why Youngjae always called him a princess; the other reason being that when Himchan had tried to call himself a prince, Youngjae had laughed so hard and said that he could picture him more in a pink princess dress than as a prince.

But then again Himchan was terrifying when angry resembling a girl who was beyond pissed off and out for revenge. And Youngjae just happened to have pissed off Himchan by calling him a princess in public even if the only people who had heard where Yongguk, who spoils Himchan just as much as his fan girls, and Daehyun.

Just thinking about the boy from Busan made Youngjae shift uncomfortably from foot to foot as he still wasn’t sure what had happened the day before. All that he was sure of was that he had left quickly and when he got back to Junhong and Jong up he was still blushing like crazy. Jong up said nothing but Junhong gave him a funny look and continued to stare before Youngjae practically threw the yogurt at his face. He had a feeling that the younger didn’t say anything only because he was afraid that Youngjae wouldn’t buy him the salad later.

Youngjae didn’t like being confused but that’s just how Daehyun seemed to leave him. Before he had even realized it his body had turned into the others arms as if they had been lovers for years instead of the strangers they were. What might have been worse was that it was actually… pleasant…he would have expected it to feel uncomfortable but it hadn’t. Though his confusion still had Youngjae avoiding the other, turning the other way when he saw him in the hall.

He suddenly remembered that he was in the cafeteria at an early hour when he heard the annoying girls from earlier squealing. As much as he wanted to ignore them a shiver down his spine told him that they weren’t squealing over nothing.

“Youngjae would you be a nice enough friend and buy me breakfast?”

He didn’t even have to look to his side he knew.

“Himchan why are you here so early, doesn’t a person like you usually care about their beauty sleep?”

Youngjae knew he was pushing it but he had really been hoping that he’d be able to avoid Himchan. What’s worse was this time they had an audience with the girls ogling at having Himchan in front of them, and this time Yongguk wasn’t around to calm Himchan or drag him away if he becomes hostile again.

“How many times do I have to remind you, ‘a person’ like me doesn’t need to worry about beauty sleep?”

Youngjae turned to face Himchan who has resting his face on the palm of his hand and standing tall. He noticed that Himchan didn’t seem as angry as yesterday, as a matter of fact there was an odd sort of glint to his feline shaped eyes. He was also trying to ignore the girls staring at them so intently.

“Why would I buy you food?” It wasn’t so much that Youngjae wanted to be snarky it was just a reflex, especially with the girls making him uncomfortable.

Himchan glanced at him before smiling at the girls in front. “Excuse me but you’re up. I wouldn’t want you girls to wait longer than necessary to order.”

The girls squealed again before smiling and going off to order their food. As they walked away Youngjae breathed a sigh of relief before Himchan leaned close to his ear and whispered “You called me princess remember.”

Himchan’s menacing tone made Youngjae mumble a quiet “fine”.

As they approached he quickly ordered his meal before turning to Himchan who asked for chocolate chip pancakes. Neither said a word as they waited for their food or as Youngjae got his black coffee because he knew he was going to need it to stay awake and deal with Himchan.

It wasn’t until they were already seated that Himchan spoke.

“So you finally met Daehyun.” His face was in his palm again, hand holding the fork still.

Youngjae glanced at him before stuffing a forkful of food in his mouth chewing slowly, thinking Himchan’s words over.

“Yeah I met him but I don’t get why you say finally, isn’t he still new here?”

Himchan huffed and Youngjae congratulated himself on pushing a few more buttons.

“You idiot I’ve been trying to have you meet him for the past week. But every time I plan to introduce you to him you’re always busy tutoring or doing nothing-”

“I don’t do nothing I do very important things.” Youngjae just wanted to cut him off but he also did feel insulted he didn’t just do nothing he did very important things.

“Youngjae playing video games and sleeping are doing nothing.” Himchan seemed tired of always telling Youngjae to go out and meet people.

“Himchan last time I checked having Yongguk take you shopping and staring at yourself in a mirror are also doing nothing. Besides you sleep more than I do!”

Both glared at each other for a few seconds but Youngjae knew he had won, Himchan did after all sleep the most which was why Youngjae had been surprised when he saw him this morning. Himchan cleared his throat before resting his hands on the table as if ready to make a business deal.

“The point being you two finally met.”

“What are you getting at Himchan?” Youngjae asked as he brought his coffee to his lips. He should have known that Himchan had to want something. Buying him breakfast couldn’t be the only thing that he wanted for being called Princess.

“Date Daehyun.”

The answer was simple and short, but it still caused Youngjae to spit out his coffee, a few drops landing on Himchan’s face. His heart was beating faster than it should, Youngjae wished that he could blame it on his coffee.

The two stared at each other for what felt like forever to Youngjae. Himchan finally made a move wiping Youngjae’s black coffee of his face. He looked at the younger who had been frozen with eyes wide and mouth wide open for the last few minutes.

Youngjae was still so shocked over those two words that he failed to notice Himchan leaning forward. “Youngjae” he was practically cooing hoping that the younger wouldn’t react. When he was content after not seeing a reaction he flicked Youngjae on the forehead three times.

“Himchan what the hell was that for!?!” Youngjae moved away a little disappointing Himchan as he reached to soothe his forehead.

“Well one: you called me princess; two: you spit coffee on me; and three: you ignored me. Nobody ignores me, I mean how could you Youngjae?”

Himchan even had the audacity to pout at Youngjae who only glared at him all the while rubbing his forehead.

“Don’t look at me like that Yoo Youngjae, it’s very rude.”

It took a few seconds of Youngjae gaping at Himchan before he could finally voice out his outrage.

“It’s also very rude to flick somebody in the forehead and almost give them a heart attack!”

After hearing Youngjae, Himchan became very amused even more so at the younger’s flushed cheeks. With his head cocked to the side he smiled at Youngjae.

“And how did I almost give you a heart attack?”

Youngjae cursed at himself for having mentioned it before he buried his face in his arms on the table, giving him a chance to calm down. He finally looked up at Himchan who had a smug smile on his face.

“You can’t just tell somebody to date somebody else Himchan.” Youngjae said tiredly before taking a small sip of coffee.

“But I’m not telling you to date somebody I’m telling you to date Daehyun.”  Himchan talked as if there was such a big difference as Youngjae tried not to think much about even considering it.

“Himchan I barely met him and how would you even know if he was interested in me or guys for that matter.” Youngjae was perfectly fine with his uality but it wouldn’t be the first time that he found himself attracted in any way to a straight guy, not that he’d admit that he found himself attracted to Daehyun.

“And yet that didn’t stop yourself from practically throwing yourself into his arms yesterday.” Youngjae blushed a bright red as Himchan seemed to be even more amused before he chose to continue. “As for the interested part why do you think I’m so insistent on you meeting him? He saw you and asked Yongguk, and from how Yongguk told me, his eyes followed you until you disappeared into the library probably to tutor Junhong.”

Youngjae tried not to think too much into it to not get his hopes up but he did remember Himchan bothering him about hanging out a lot more lately. However another part of what Himchan said made him very curious.

“Why just Yongguk? You actually weren’t with him?” Himchan seemed to get annoyed.

“Yes Yongguk he had to show Daehyun around the school and why would I be?”

“Well I dunno, you’re usually with him is all.” He tried not to ask more about it because he still wasn’t sure what was up with Himchan and Yongguk lately.

“So why don’t you date Daehyun then?” Himchan quickly changed the subject back ignoring Youngjae trying to get off of the topic.

“Why do you want me to date him so badly Himchan? Are you that afraid that he’ll take your little fan club away?” Himchan’s eyes widened slightly and he grew flustered before quickly pulling himself together.

“You’re insane I have nothing to be worried about. I just want you to find a boyfriend is all Youngjae.”

As much as Youngjae would have loved to have thrown a comeback at Himchan, he couldn’t as Junhong and Jong up suddenly showed up at the table. The taller balancing a plate of food in one hand and pulling the older along behind him.

“Hyungs look Jong up bought me food!” Junhong already seemed hyper as he set his tray down beside Youngjae as Jong up sat beside Himchan.

“What’s this about Youngjae hyung and a boyfriend?” Jong up spoke quietly and Youngjae just wanted to hide anywhere as Junhong suddenly turned to him.

“Hyung You finally have a boyfriend?”  Atleast Youngjae thought he said that, he couldn’t be sure since Junhong still had his food in his mouth.

“Junhong finish the food in your mouth before you speak and we just might understand you better.” Himchan spoke turning away from the sight before him disgusted.

Junhong swallowed before turning to Himchan. “Sorry Mom I’ll remember from now on. I asked if Youngjae hyung finally found a boyfriend.”

“Why do you always have to call me Mom” Himchan pouted because it wasn’t the first time Junhong called him that or that he had been referred to as a female. “And no Youngjae doesn’t have a boyfriend, he refuses to let me set him up with somebody.”

“Daehyun?” Now all three turned to Jong up surprised. Youngjae wasn’t surprised that Jong up would’ve said a name just to stop Junhong and Himchan from starting the whole ‘mom’ thing again. What did surprise him was that he actually had the right name without Youngjae or Himchan saying anything.

“The new guy?” Junhong remembered to speak before shoving a forkful of waffles into his mouth. But now that everybody at the table knew who they were talking about Youngjae really wanted to hide, underneath the table would be a nice start. All of his energy from earlier having left him.

“Yes the new guy Junhong and thank you for not talking with food in your mouth.” Himchan seemed content after the youngest listened to him before he shoved his last pancake to Jong up who simply smiled gratefully.

Junhong took a moment to chew his food before he spoke carefully. “But I think we just saw him surrounded by some girls on our way over here.” It was as if he could see Youngjae freeze because he quickly stabbed at a piece of waffle and said “he looked really annoyed.”

Himchan clapped his hands together before turning to Youngjae with a smile. “See Youngjae would any straight guy look annoyed when he has girls surrounding him.”

Youngjae just stared back at Himchan waiting for him to realize what he just said. It only took a few seconds.

“Damn it Junhong how many girls was it and where did this happen?”

Youngjae couldn’t help it he had to smile at Himchan getting so worked up. He had a pain in his chest ever sense Junhong had mentioned Daehyun and girls in the same sentence but he reminded himself that Daehyun wasn’t anything to him.

“I can’t remember it was just on our way over here, maybe five?”

Jong up quietly reached over patting a frightened Junhong on the arm as Himchan stood up mumbling about useless information and “gracing the halls with his presence”. The table was quiet a few seconds after as Youngjae tried to relax and ignore the pain in his chest. He took a sip of his coffee but it was colder which left him disappointed as he could taste the bitterness now. Junhong pouted at not being much help to Himchan so Youngjae decided to try and cheer him up.

“Junhong I’ll buy you and Jong up ice cream later okay?” The younger smiled and nodded a little better than before. “Oh and have either of you seen Yongguk today?”

At this question Junhong brightened at finally being able to provide an answer for his hyungs. “Yeah I saw him at the front of the school talking to a girl. I waved at him and he smiled but he was still talking to her.”

“Good thing Himchan hyung didn’t hear.” Jong up spoke quietly but Youngjae couldn’t agree more. As much as Himchan refused to admit it, he was still as possessive of Yongguk as he was about the girls who adored him.

Youngjae went the rest of the day a little moodier than usual but if either of the younger boys noticed they said nothing about it. He did his best to ignore the pain that he still felt in his chest but he couldn’t help that he was annoyed at Daehyun for having left such an impression on him.