Sneaky

Arranged Future

THIS CHAPTER IS A LITTLE LONGER THAN THE OTHERS, BUT I THINK YOU'LL ENJOY IT

 

“I’ll get it Jiminnie,” Yoongi told his boyfriend as he lifted himself up off the floor. “Thanks hyung,” the younger called from his bathroom. Yoongi opened the door and felt himself being shoved back into the apartment. “What the hell?” he asked stumbling backwards almost tripping over his shoes. After regaining his balance he glared at whomever pushed him, his eyes widened in shock and a bit of fear, “Appa,” he mumbled. 

 

And, true enough, Yoongi’s father stood there in his boyfriend’s threshold glaring at him. His face was red with anger. Before Yoongi could address his dad, Jimin popped up behind him asking, “Hyung, who was at the door?” Yoongi stepped aside to reveal his dad to Jimin’s curious point of view. Mr. Min noted two things: his son was topless and Jimin was wearing the sweatshirt he and his wife had bought Yoongi last year. It took him a nanosecond to put two and two together, and the revelation only fueled his rage.

 

“No wonder you haven’t been answering your phone,” the elder sneered at his son crossing over the threshold and into Jimin’s apartment, “You’re too busy screwing this piece of trash.” “Whoa dad, calm down,” Yoongi said stepping back in front of his boyfriend. “Yah don’t tell me to calm down Yoongi, I’ve been calling you all morning and of course you didn’t ing answer. And now I know why” his dad yelled shoving his finger in his son’s face. 

 

Yoongi swallowed hard, why was his dad so pissed off? He wasn’t a child and he shouldn’t have to answer every single phone call from his dad, he did have his own agenda after all. He felt Jimin’s nails dig into his shoulders a bit, was he scared? “Dad why are you so mad?” He asked his dad in confusion as he pushed the hand out of his face, his fear passing and curiosity taking its place. 

 

“That is a matter that needs to be discussed in private, not in front of your pet,” the elder growled out while eyeing Jimin like he was something less than human, “Get your and meet me at home. Immediately.” With that order, Yoongi’s father his heels and left the apartment, the door slamming behind him.

 

“Pet?” Yoongi echoed with a disgusted face, he couldn’t believe how disrespectful his father was sometimes. “Wah your appa is seriously scary,” Jimin mumbled. He wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s waist, “Are you OK?” he asked against Yoongi’s shoulder. Yoongi chuckled and shook his head, sometimes this kid was too considerate, “I should be asking you that,” he said unhooking the younger’s arms. 

 

Jimin shrugged, “Oh I’m fine, he wasn’t yelling at me,” he answered. “Look I’m sorry about him being such an and barging in, I don’t even know how he found your place I never gave him an address,” Yoongi said as he pulled on the nearest t-shirt he could find, it was Jimin’s. Jimin felt his face pale; he had an idea, but chose not voice it. He prayed he was wrong. “I’m gonna get to the bottom of things,” the elder continued, he didn’t notice his boyfriend’s sudden change in attitude, “I’ll be back later Jimin.” Yoongi kissed his boyfriend’s forehead, pulled on his jacket and shoes, and left. 

 

“I hope they didn’t send his letter there instead of here,” Jimin mumbled to himself.


Yoongi made his way towards his dad’s home office, where he knew his old man would surely be. He stepped inside to see both of his parents waiting for him. “How could you embarrass us like this Yoongi?” his dad calmly asked him. Was this really the same man that just burst into his boyfriend’s apartment not even an hour ago? 

 

“Embarrass you?” Yoongi asked incredulously, “Did you forget the part where you barged into my boyfriend’s apartment? If anyone should be embarrassed it’s me.” 

 

“Oh please,” Mr. Min sneered, “That boy is not your boyfriend, just your newest plaything. I have to say I never pictured you slumming for a new toy.”

 

“Hold on dad, you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, so you should just stop right there. You don’t know anything about Jimin and me,” Yoongi firmly told his dad through slightly gritted teeth. He was doing his best not to yell, holding onto what little respect he still had for his dad. “There’s lots of things I don’t know Yoongi,,” his dad said lacing his fingers together on top of his desk, “Like where my son goes when he leaves here. And why he refuses all my calls. And why he’s been acting so disobedient. And why he’s secretly chasing outlandish dreams.

 

Wait, what was that last thing? 

 

“What?” Yoongi asked, his dark brows furrowed. “You received a letter in the mail from the Seoul Film and Photography Association,” his mother softly informed him from her husband’s side. “What?” Yoongi repeated, confusion ever present on his face. “Congrats son, you won first place in their national photography contest,” his dad said through a faux smile tossing the envelope at his son’s feet. 

 

Yoongi stooped down and picked up the letter. He quickly skimmed its contents, ‘Min Yoongi, we are pleased to announce that you’ve  won first place in S.F.P.A.’s national photography contest with your submission of, ‘My First Bus Ride.’ Your award includes a stunning trophy, a four-page spread in our magazine, and $2,500 in prize money. Please contact us at your earliest convenience to set up an interview.’ 

 

He looked up at his parents, he was about to tell them that this wasn’t his doing but decided against it. He wanted to see how this was going to play out. “Son why are you wasting your time with this photography nonsense again? I thought you was over that silly notion of becoming a photographer,” his dad seriously had a thing for belittling people. “Because it’s what I want to do,” Yoongi flatly replied as he folded up the envelope and shoved it into his back pocket.

 

“No son, you want to run the company,” his mom sweetly said with a smile. “No mom, you want me to run the company,” Yoongi mimicked her tone and smile.

 

When had he gotten so bold with his words? When did he stop caring about making his parents happy? When did he stop caring about being the perfect son? When did he start believing in himself again? 

 

“You’re right Yoongi-ah,” his dad chimed in, “We do. And if you’re smart you will too.” “What’s that supposed to mean?” Yoongi asked him. “Running the company will be your responsibility, it’s what’s expected of you. If you want to keep living so lavishly, then you would do well to remember that the next time you veer off track with this photography crap,” Mr. Min smugly told his son.

 

“So basically what you’re saying is my dreams don’t matter?” Yoongi asked them, “Forget what I want and do as you say or I’m cut off?” 

 

“You’ll thank us in the long run son. When you’re powerful, successful, and respected. And when you’ve found a suitable partner, one of your caliber. You’ll thank us,” he dad said, his tone sickeningly positive.

 

This wasn’t Yoongi’s first time having this conversation with his parents, but it was the first time he was completely done with it. Before, when he rebelled, he was easily put back in line with the mentions of disappointing his parents and being cut-off. He was afraid of being without his money and being shunned by his parents. He was afraid of being exiled like his brother. But now, Yoongi was finding that, that fear was rapidly being replaced by anger, ambition, and confidence. He was ready to walk away from the company, his parents, and their money. All of it. He was just…done. 

 

“How about I thank you now,” he told his parents through a smile. “For what?” his father asked in confusion. “For giving me this letter,” he told them patting his back pocket. “Excuse me, I’m leaving now,” he politely bowed to them before taking his leave. “Yoongi wait, we’re not done here,” his dad yelled after him. 

 

“Yes we are,” Yoongi yelled back over his shoulder. 

 

He felt relieved, like a humungous weight had been lifted off his back; the weight of unwanted expectations. Was this what freedom felt like?


“What the hell is this?” Yoongi asked his boyfriend tossing the letter onto the table. He tracked down Jimin to diner he worked at. Jimin set down his serving tray and read the front of the envelope, ‘Damn, they did send it to his house,’ he mentally cursed. “It’s a letter from the Seoul Film and Photography Association,” he answered as he nervously sat down across from Yoongi, maybe if he played dumb he wouldn’t get yelled at. 

 

“I know that Park Jimin, it says that I won a contest. But the funny thing is that I didn’t enter any contests,” Yoongi said crossing his arms, “How did they get my photographs?” Jimin sighed, “OK, I entered the contest for you,” he confessed, he cracked too easily, “Wait did you just say you won?” 

 

“Yes I won, but that’s beside the point. Why did you go behind my back and do this?” Yoongi seriously questioned.

 

“Because I knew if I would’ve asked you to enter on your own, you would’ve refused. I sent it from my address, but I had to provide your home address as well; I told them to send the any future letters to my address when I faxed it. Stupid people didn’t listen though,” the younger explained, “I saw those pictures you took that day, they were spectacular. I knew you would place in the contest, but I wasn’t expecting you to place first.” 

 

“You still could’ve told me Jimin,” Yoongi replied, “Why didn’t you? Why’d you keep this a secret from me?” Jimin’s eyes dropped, he felt guilty for going behind his boyfriend’s back, “I’m sorry hyung, I was just afraid you would be mad at me. I know you wanted to take things slowly, but I didn’t want you to miss such a great opportunity. It was very insensitive of me to go behind your back,” he admitted, though he didn’t sound regretful.

 

“Yes it was very insensitive of you,” Yoongi strongly agreed. 

 

Jimin nodded, he knew Yoongi would be angry with him no matter how good his intentions were. “But I’m happy you did it,” the elder added. Jimin’s head shot up, “Say what?” he asked in disbelief, maybe his selective hearing was kicking in and he only was hearing what he wanted to hear. Yoongi grinned at his boyfriend, “I said I’m happy you did it,” he confirmed. 

 

Jimin smiled back, “Because you won?” he proudly asked, he was happy his plan didn’t completely backfire.  “No, well yes I’m happy I won, but that’s not why I’m happy you did it,” Yoongi said. “OK so why are you happy Yoongi?” Jimin asked with a confused shrug. 

 

Yoongi’s grin widened, “I’m happy because that letter finally gave me the push I needed to move forward. I just had a conversation with my parents that I’ve had several times before with them. I tell them I don’t want to run the company and they threatened to cut me off and disown me, then I go back to being the good son,” he explained.

 

“I’m guessing that didn’t happen this time,” Jimin concluded. 

 

“Nope,” Yoongi said shaking his head, “Before I was afraid of being without my money and disappointing my parents, but now I’m not. This letter proves that I can make it as a photographer. I don’t need their support to succeed: financially or morally.” Jimin nodded, he was happy that his boyfriend got the clarity he needed, but he was worried about Yoongi being without his money. Yoongi was used to being spoiled, he’s never had to struggle before.

 

“So you’re OK with being poor?” he queried. “Who said anything about being poor?” Yoongi laughed out. ‘Oh great now he’s in denial,’ Jimin thought fearfully, “You just said your parents are going to cut you off,” Jimin stated, “That means you’ll be without their money.” 

 

“True,” Yoongi shrugged, “But that doesn’t mean I don’t have money saved up from birthdays, Christmases, dead relatives, allowances, and I even pawned a few expensive things I didn’t want. I set up my own bank account a long time ago, they can’t take away that money,” he cleverly explained. 

 

“Wow,  that was  smart,” Jimin complimented, he was impressed by his boyfriend’s forward thinking, “And now you’ve got an extra 2,500 to throw in that account.” 

 

“No that’s for you,” Yoongi revealed, “Call it a ‘Thank You’ present. And I don't want to hear any arguments, you will accept the money." Jimin really wanted to refuse, but Yoongi's tone was final, "OK," he accepted.

 

"Good," Yoongi nodded happily,"I also have a favor to ask.”  Jinin nodded, "Ask it then." 

 

"Do you mind if I stay with you?" Yoongi requested, "I'm pretty sure I have no home to return to." Jimin laughed loudly, “You’re more than welcome to come stay with me Yoongi-hyung. How can I turn away my Tasty Cakes?” Yoongi smiled at the nickname his boyfriend had given him, “You can’t,” he laughed out.

 

CONFESSION: TASTY CAKES IS MY NICKNAME FOR YOONGI, I GAVE ALL OF BTS NICKNAMES...AND SOME OF GOT7