Nothing's Set In Stone

Arranged Future

A FEW WEEKS HAVE PASSED SINCE THE LAST 2 CHAPTERS AND JIMIN AND YOONGI ARE SPENDING SOME OUTSIDE TIME TOGETHER

 

 

 

Yoongi breezed past Jimin down the basketball court and deposited the ball in the hoop. He grinned at the panting younger, “14 to 5, are you sure you want to play to 21?” he asked smugly. “Yah you lied to me Yoongi-hyung,” Jimin yelled pointing an accusing finger at the elder. Yoongi skillfully dribbled the ball between his legs, “What are you talking about?” he asked moving closer to Jimin. “You told me you haven’t played basketball in a long time, you’re damn near a professional,” Jimin complained waving his arms around. 

 

“I didn’t lie,” Yoongi laughed out, “I haven’t played ball for like a year. I’m rusty, you just really bad.” Jimin pouted and met the elder in the center of the court, “It’s because I’m short,” he tried to justify. Yoongi laughed again, “You can’t use that as an excuse, I’m only a few centimeters taller than you,” he said shaking his head. He checked the ball and waited for Jimin to bounce it back, “Luckily you still have a chance to catch up,” he reassured though he knew the younger had ABSOLUTELY no chance of catching up, let alone winning. 

 

A determined look settled across Jimin’s boyish face as he pulled up his basketball shorts and retied the drawstring, “OK, I’m ready for you hyung,” he told him with a nod.


“OK so, you’re like a basketball god, how long have you played?” Jimin asked as he laid back on the lush green grass. He was thankful for the sun beaming down on him, it warmed his skin pleasantly. Today was particularly warm fall afternoon. Yoongi screwed the cap back on his water bottle and sat down beside the younger, “Pretty much my whole life. All through elementary, middle, and high school,” he answered as he dropped the water bottle on the ground. 

 

“Wah daebak,” Jimin praised looking at him in amazement, “Ever think about playing professionally?” Yoongi shook his head, “Nah, I’m way too lazy to play any sport professionally,” he answered while pulling the bill of his snapback over his eyes to block the sun. “I wanted to dance professionally once upon a time,” Jimin revealed. “What happened?”  Yoongi asked curiously. 

 

Jimin sat up and shrugged, “Got injured one too many times. And then, when my parents died, I couldn’t find enjoyment in it anymore,” he explained sullenly. Yoongi noted the change in Jimin’s tone, he’d lost his parents when he was 17, it probably still hurt to think about them.

 

“My parents didn’t always expect me to take over the company,” Yoongi said propping his elbows on his knees, “They used to actually support my passion for photography.” Jimin scooted closer and rested his chin on the elder’s shoulder, “Who was the original successor?” he asked curiously. “My older brother, Juntao. Juntao-hyung was supposed to take over,” Yoongi revealed. “And why isn’t Juntao-hyung going to do it anymore?” Jimin inquired, he didn’t even know Yoongi had a big brother. 

 

“Because hyung was stupid enough to tell our parents that he didn’t want to take over,” the elder explained, a bit of envy coating his tone. Jimin traced circles on one of Yoongi’s hands and asked, “What did he want to do instead?” Yoongi grinned and answered, “Paint. When he told my parents they gave him an ultimatum: forget his silly dreams and do as he was told or be disowned. He chose his passion and they kicked him out, he was 20 when he left and I was 10.” 

 

Jimin sat back a little and looked at the elder, “Is that why you’re so afraid to pursue your dreams? Are you afraid of being disowned?” “Let’s get one thing straight,” Yoongi said firmly, “I am not afraid.” “Well what do you call it?” Jimin countered. Yoongi shrugged, “Giving up. My parents already have one disappointing son, they don’t need another. Maybe I’ll still be able to do a little photography on the side.” 

 

Jimin’s hand found the side of Yoongi’s face, “I don’t think you should give up so easily,” he said shaking his head. Yoongi pulled the younger’s hand away, “I didn’t ask about your thoughts,” he snapped, “my future has already been planned.” “Yea, but nothing’s set in stone. Planning something in advance usually ends with disastrous results,” Jimin shrugged as he stood up. Yoongi looked up at the younger; just what did he mean by that? Did Jimin know something he didn’t?

 

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt the younger tugging on his wrist. “C’mon hyung, teach me the ways of the Basketball God,” Jimin said pulling Yoongi to his feet. Yoongi grinned at him, “Why would I do that Jiminnie?” he asked dusting off his shorts. “So I can beat you next time we play, duh,” Jimin said in a matter-of-fact tone. He reached down grabbed the ball that had rolled beneath the tree they were sitting by. Yoongi chuckled and snatched the ball away, “The only way that would happen is if I let you win,” he said dribbling the ball on the court. 

 

He stood at the 3-point line and shot the ball into the hoop, “My skill level is too high and yours is too nonexistent,” he taunted as the ball bounced back to him.  Jimin playfully glared at the elder and retorted, “We’ll see about that, I’ve got youth on my side gramps.” “Yah, I’m only two years older than you, you brat,” Yoongi growled out and chucked the ball at the younger. Looks like he was going to have to show Jimin a thing or two on how to respect his hyung.